Charges against Marlin Lane dismissed

Mainland's, Marlin Lane, No. 4, runs through Spruce Creek defense during play at New Smyrna Beach Sports Complex, Friday, October 8, 2010.

Photo by NIGEL COOK

Marlin Lane will have a fresh start and a clean record when he enrolls at Tennessee in the summer.

The four-star tailback had his charge of marijuana possession dropped Tuesday in Volusia County (Fla.) Court. The charge stemmed from a Dec. 23, 2010 incident where Lane, 19, was arrested in his home town, DeLand, Fla., for possessing 7.5 grams of cannabis as he sat in the passenger seat of a blue Mercury.

Lane pleaded not guilty and submitted to a drug test less than 24 hours after the arrest. The results, Lane, his father Marlin Lane Sr., and his longtime mentor Steve Deluca said, were negative.

“I feel better now,” Lane said. “I get another weight off my chest. I can just continue doing what I'm doing to be successful and get up to Knoxville.”

According to the original police report, a DeLand officer spotted Lane “manipulating” a small pile of cannabis spread out on a dollar bill in his lap and a clear plastic baggie of cannabis on the seat beside him. Lane admitted to the officer that he was “breaking up the cannabis for use but stated that it was not his,” according to the report.

The 7.5 grams of marijuana had a street value of $50, according to the report.

Lane said he was required to attend six drug-related classes before Tuesday’s hearing. According to court documents, Volusia County Court received correspondence from Stewart-Marchman-Act, a behavioral health care center in Daytona Beach, on Feb. 2.

It all helped make Tuesday a day to celebrate for Lane.

“They just pretty much told me to have a nice life,” Lane said. “They don't want to see me any more.”

The next step for Lane will be to insure he’s qualified in time to enroll for the first session of summer semester in early June. In a February interview, Lane, who missed the first half of his senior season while recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, said he planned to retake the ACT because he needed to score two points higher.

“It’s been a headache trying to keep up with everything so I can get to Tennessee with no problem,” Lane said. “I’ve got a countdown until I leave and I’m ready to leave as soon as I can.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country young man. Make wise choices of who you run with in Knoxville.

tree_em_smokey writes:

I hate to say I told ya so but.....I told ya so. Innocent until proven guilty. He was not proven guilty so he is innocent. Glad your here in Big orange country Mr. Lane!

bigkluvsorange writes:

keep that stuff out of your mind, and knoxville,do what your coaches tell you, work hard, be a vol for life.GBO

oskie_score writes:

Congrats! Now, make the best of it.

OrangePride writes:

Welcome to Secondchanceville. Hope you realize there's no Thirdchanceville in this state; you have to go Florida or Alabama to find those towns. So come home, get some orange equipmment, and do what you do..........run baby run! GO VOLS!

RoadTrip writes:

Please stay away from the Pilot and Bar Knoxville when you get here.

Kidding aside - happy you cleared your name and looking forward to watching you on the Hill. Pick your friends wisely.

everydayisorange writes:

After seeing numerous trolls on the other thread making disparaging remarks about this young man,not one to say sorry!I hope this is the last of these kind of reports about this player or any other for that matter.Welcome aboard and get that s.a.t. taken care of!Stupid trolls!GBO!!!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Son, you have to stay out of those suspicious situations! Pick your friends based on 2 things: They are either part of the SOLUTION or part of the PROBLEM! And the ones that are problems, quit hangin' with 'em!...at LEAST for the next 4 years! Glad to hear that the charges were dismissed! Now, ace that ACT and the "act" like a sponge when you get to practice as you will be needed to help balance this offense!...Can't wait to see you scoring TDs in the checkered endzones! GBO!

dvhill100 writes:

in response to AF1A4:

Buddy is only half a word.

txsvol#372416 writes:

The Florida authorities gave him a break. Less than 20 grams of marijuana couold have been a misdemeanor punishable by 1 year imprisonment and a $1,000 fine. It seems plausible to me that if Marlin admitted to 'breaking the cannabis up for use' he could have been charged with drug dealing! In Tennessee, 'simple possession or casual exchange' (of small amounts of marijuana) is a Class A misdemeanor, and conviction could result in up to 1 year in jail and a $2,500 fine. (TCA 39-17-418) A second offense could be a Class E felony, and conviction could result in 1-6 years imprisonment, and a fine of $3,000. (TCA 39-17-417) Just because he had not smoked the weed would not be a defense against possession and or intent to distribute. As I said at the beginning, the Florida authorities gave him a break! SAVol

give_him_6 writes:

Welcome to the family!!! And just like any family, if you step outta line with drugs, the hammer will come swift and hard. Stay on the rigth side and you'll build a great life here. "GBO!!!

ODA751 writes:

in response to dvhill100:

Buddy is only half a word.

Ha! It's amazing how one little phrase can bring back so many good memories.

oscar285 writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Don't judge too quickly. I was once at a friend's apartment when I was in college and the bong was brought out and passed around the circle of people gathered there. As it came to me (and I was sitting in the middle of a dang couch) all I could do was take it from the person on my right and hand it to the person on my left. As soon as it got around far enough to make a clear path to the door, I left. So, it can happen.

TLepage writes:

now he just needs to focus on qualifying academically..... hope this kid makes on campus.... doesn't have good enough test scores yet....

skm writes:

stuff should be legalized anyway. nice article.

196SVol writes:

in response to OrangePride:

Actually, looking at the history of police beat-downs, robberies, reefer charges, etc. this kid should fit right in there in Kville.

Had Muschamp, Saban or Miles signed this kid (most schools didn't even offer), Vols would have been on them like white on rice.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

It's killing you he was found innocent. LMAO! Trolls will always be the mental midgets of the board.

nocleats writes:

He needs to spend all his time studying to become eligible, rehabbing his knee to get it better than before, getting himself in the best physical condition of his life, and studying some more. Then, and only then, will he even have a chance at contributing some to the team.. Its a HUGE jump from HS to College.

NashvillePreds writes:

I'm always amazed whiskey is legal, (not that I'm complaining) and dro is not. Seriously, what causes more social harm from the two?
Good luck Marlin.
VFL

voloffaith writes:

in response to 196SVol:

Just so the record is straight which college team do you support and cheer for on saturdays during football season. Just want to clear any confusion out there so ewe won't be misjudged.

On topic, he has been cleared so backoff and let this young man either wisely move forward or possibly blow it by not qualifying academically or still choosing to hang around wrong crowd etc. The choice is your master Lane.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to hit_remove_but_he_is_still_history:

Don't know what you read into this,but when charges are dropped there is not enough evidence.I know what it said about what the police saw,but he also tested negative 24 hours later.

Vol86 writes:

Hopefuly he will stay out of trouble. It is all a matter who he hangs out with.

Biggie writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

WHAT? He admitted he was breaking it up for use. He wasn't innocent, he just got off!
I hope he uses this incident to his advantage. Time to put that childish stuff behind you young man!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to everydayisorange:

Not necessarily. If there wasn't enough evidence how could he be required to take the drug classes? Beginnings of a career or one time aberration? Should know in the next few years. Someone on the staff should watch who he pairs up with as friends.

FarmerVol writes:

Welcome Marlin. If you just think about how you felt when getting booked whenever someone wants to involve you in something that even sounds risky and then think about running with the FB in a beautiful orange jersey with your cleats grinding the backsides of would be tacklers, and us folks in the stands sayin' NFL, NFL, NFL for this kid, I think you will choose wisely. Derek don't do third chances. Don't test him young man. GBO.

VOLliven2it writes:

OKAY, OKAY everybody, his charges are dropped. His record is clean. He gets a fresh start and is coming to Knoxville. All else is hooey.
As for you Mr. Lane, man we want you to qualify, get up here, and excell on the football field. We want you to succeed not just on our team but in the big game of life. Here is your chance. I am believing you will make the most of it. Go Lane, Go Big Orange!

pms151 writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

When I was growing up in Knoxville in the late 60's people were selling beer to teenagers out of their drive in windows in West Knoxville. If they were caught it was a slap on the wrist at the most. When I was starting UTK in the early 70's selling a 'nickel bag' like this kid had made you branded a hardened criminal. It is amazing the stigma of experimenting with pot has in our culture, yet alcohol abuse is still considered as a stupid college thing.

pms151 writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

And just one more thing. As you probably know if you are in Texas as I am (Houston) you cannot go into a convenient store that does not do a bristling business in Zig Zags and blounts. If you have ever got onto a Metro bus or rail here and not smelled Mary Jane on the clothes of the riders then you must be harboring a serious bad cold. LOL

orangeman1 writes:

He admitted to breaking up the pot and it was in his lap. Charges are dismissed , but he has to take drug classes. He should feel very lucky that he got a second chance and make the most of it, but to say he was innocent is a stretch. I sure hope recruiting him doesnt come back to bite Dooley in the end.

volfan4life1998 writes:

7.5 grams valued at $50.. They were smoking some crappy weed.

ctownvol writes:

in response to slaw_way:

That's actually what the kids call a quarter. 1/4 of an ounce(28.3 grams) Sounds to me like they just picked up the weed, and were about to light up when they got caught. According to the kids around here, $50 is a little steep for average pot, so it must've been the good stuff. Not that I would know.

ctownvol writes:

in response to volfan4life1998:

7.5 grams valued at $50.. They were smoking some crappy weed.

Evidently, it's a little cheaper here in the ATL. At least that's what the kids tell me.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to FormerMarine:

I'll let you put 2 and 2 together, and come up with the definition of dro.
The argument that the legaliztion of marijuana will cause more social harm, than it currently being classified the same as cocaine is asinine.
The black market would disappear, and regulation could take precedent.
My guess is, your impression of marijuana is from the government.
Don't believe everything they tell you.

NashvillePreds writes:

FormerMarine, no disrespect intended in my above comments.
It is just absurd to me that we, as a country, are spending millions on a "drug war" against marijuana. We are empowering cartels, and hindering ourselves in a fight against a substance that is no more harmful than cigarettes, whiskey, cigars, spitting tobacco, etcetera, in my opinion.

Outdated writes:

It seems to me that doctors and pain management schemes are taking over the drug business..shouldn't be long before their lobbyist make it prescription only..

Digital5000 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

$50 for a quarter is dirt weed. $50-$60 for 1/8oz is about as standard as you'll find nation wide for FIRE...or $20/gram if you are getting ripped off.

So he was clean, and his friends smoke terrible weed while he's around. Shows over, end of story.

-Enjoy Yourselves

everydayisorange writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Very good point! I hope this is all in the rear view mirror. Maybe the VFL program can help with some positive influence. One of the upper classmen could also help by taking him under their wing.

PdxVol writes:

in response to skm:

stuff should be legalized anyway. nice article.

I was thinking the same da#n thing. People make such a big deal about weed, people go to jail over it... come on man! It's a bad idea to smoke it on any sort of regular basis, but it's just as bad to play video games all day, eat partially hydrogenated soybean oil and high fructose corn syrup, phosphate and artificial hormone laden hot dogs, big gulps of soda, prozac... man, come on.

PdxVol writes:

in response to FormerMarine:

Yo, move to Oregon or another progressive state. You can get a "card" for just about anything (probably for being a republican). By the way, I take issue with the labeling of welfare recipients or immigrants and prisoners as "lost causes". What about the elderly? If someone is 80 years old are they a lost cause, no longer worthy of Medicare? What about the retarded? What about the wrongly convicted? Some wise founding father said something to the effect of "those who would prefer security over liberty deserve neither". Anyways, thank you for your service to our country. Reveiz forever.

PdxVol writes:

in response to FarmerVol:

Actually Lane, the general rule is you get three chances. You've used up two apparently, so you got one more F-up comin' to you... MAKE IT EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PdxVol writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Just to be clear, you called this person a ewe, so you're saying she's a baby sheep, right? Actually, I did a Google search for "ewe" just to make sure that "ewe" means baby sheep and I found out that there's a web site for blow up ewe's that you can love on. Also ewe may refer to an ethnic group in the eastern part of Ghana.

volfan4life1998 writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Nah, they probably had some mids (mid grade weed) Sounds like they had just picked up a quarter and were about to blaze up. Dro (high quality weed) Will run you 30 for 1.5 grams and 60 for 3.5 grams. 7.5 grams of dro will run you around $100 or more.

PdxVol writes:

in response to OrangePride:

Which version of Chanceville do you live in? Who among us lives in Zerochanceville?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to PdxVol:

Witch Doctor say you not live in Real world. Pretty sure 99% of the "Real" Vol nation would give an 17 year old kid a second chance based on hearsay.(sure you dont mean brand him for life?..please?)...read the article before posting...look less dumb
Bones never lie.

mtowntim writes:

in response to volfan4life1998:

Your gettin ripped off.

Wayfarer writes:

His charges were dropped, mostly due to the negative drug test and the drug counseling classes. He has been given a great second chance to finish his high school degree and qualify for his scholarship to attend the University of Tennessee for a higher education and to play football. Mr Lane, I hope that while that weight has disappeared, you realize that it came close to be a weight that you would have to carry your entire adult life. I hope this is a small bump and that you make the most of the second chance, welcome to the Vol nation, and good luck.