No surprises for Tennessee; Lady Vols down Stetson 99-34

From left, Tennessee's Kamiko Williams, Alicia Manning, Glory Johnson, and Shekinna Stricklen cheer on their teammates in the final minutes of the game against Stetson on Saturday, March 19, 2011  in a NCAA tournament game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville.

Photo by Saul Young

From left, Tennessee's Kamiko Williams, Alicia Manning, Glory Johnson, and Shekinna Stricklen cheer on their teammates in the final minutes of the game against Stetson on Saturday, March 19, 2011 in a NCAA tournament game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville.

Pat Summitt's remarks after beating Stetson

Tennessee played the part of a No. 1 seed in dominant fashion Saturday.

The Lady Vols took charge early and wiped out Stetson 99-34 in a first-round NCAA women’s basketball tournament game at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Lady Vols will face eighth-seeded Marquette on Monday.

Shekinna Stricklen scored 15 points to lead Tennessee (32-2), the top seed in the Dayton Regional. Glory Johnson scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Angie Bjorklund added 13 points.

Stetson hung around for the first five minutes but couldn’t keep up after a 23-point scoring run by Tennessee.

The Lady Vols were shooting nearly 80 percent from the floor for the first 10 minutes while working on some new pressure defense alignments.

UT went deep into the bench and eventually played everyone before halftime in opening a 55-20 lead.

Stetson finished by scoring just one basket in the final 16 minutes.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volposter writes:

Somebody to pull for.

HtownVol writes:

At least we have a team that we can count on giving their all every time they step on the court!

GO VOLS!

I would love to see the Vols take out the little wierd man that coaches a girls team (UCONN).

That guy needs to try out coaching his own gender.

Oh yeah we will take out the 6'8 guy that plays for Baylor. I know that guy is passing for a girl but he dont have me fooled. Listen to his interviews that guy dont even talk like a girl.

It dont matter though Pat and company will have the Championship back in Knoxville where it belongs!

HtownVol writes:

When is the Lady Vols next game? I will watch all of our girls wins. I just thought their first game was tonight, so I need to know when the next game is.

GO VOLS!

murrayvol writes:

Wow! It's still a very long journey from top to bottom in women's basketball.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

Yeah ok wait till uconn

houvol#438636 writes:

Thank God we always have the Lady Vols! Go Big Orange!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS!

Htown,the Lady Vols play again Monday night @7pm

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

This is why I don't like the 1-16 and 2-15 matchups in the women's game...

would be better if the women's tourney changed so that the bottom 4 or 5 teams in each bracket played each other first...

Too much disparity between the haves and have-nots for now.

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Yes, the Lady Vols CAN beat UCONN if they continue to play the way they are playing! Our bench is deeper and better than them also.

I will take it one game at a time, but folks, we are going to the Final Four! GLV! GBO!!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

This is why I don't like the 1-16 and 2-15 matchups in the women's game...

Too much disparity between the haves and have-nots for now.

I don't like it either, but thats the way it is. The positive point on that is that it will just give the Lady Vols more time to get even better! GLV!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

c'mon, folks, be real.

The women's game is NOTHING like the men's game in terms of talent distribution. The women's game is more like the men's game was 30 years ago, when just a few schools (UCLA, Kansas, UNC, notre dame) got all the best players.

yes, this year in men's sports has been a tar pit for us fans....Kiffin, the losses at LSU and in the bowl, the bball heartbreaker against mich state....and really the only bright spot being december in the men's game.

anyway, enjoy Pat, Geno, Tara VD while you can; once they are gone, I think the women's game will evolve to a more diverse spread of talent.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

my idea is I'd like to see the low seeds have at lest a bit of fun and a chance to win a game every now and again.

the tourney could then adjust back if more parity erupts (won't happen in the next 10 years).

springtx_vol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS!

That guy needs to try out coaching his own gender.

A agree completely with the first comment. The ladies have not quit all year.

For the rest of it, why even go there? Why stoop to the level of insults and belittling? There are lots of guys coaching girls. UT has men coaching softball and tennis (co-head coaches), track and volleyball. That simply means that the university thinks they are the best for the role.

As to Britany sounding like a man, who cares. She doesn't jump like a man, she doesn't move like a man. She is a woman who has a deep voice. There are lots of women who have that trait; look at any women's quartet and you will see a women singing a female bass part.

Grow up and worry about real things in life.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

They have the one thing we don't,that's geno he has already tied pat for the most championship rings and this year will pass her.I'm sorry to say

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

Congrats to the lady vols! It get's harder as the the tournament progresses so stay focused. Really nice to see Bass and Smallbone get in on the action. Keep having fun ladies, and winning!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Yes it was Stetson. Nevertheless, this team is showing what can happen when they are hitting on all cylinders. Not many are going to run with them.

Also, what we've been waiting for is coming to be......a Vicki Baugh returning to Vicki Baugh
as she used to be.

They were doing okay and that was with Manning not yet into the game. When she enters the game.......things happen.

Great first game, and now moving right along !

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

You need to do a little research! I'm sorry to say!

SoddyVol writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Where are you from? Are you already giving Geno a championship both this year and next before they play either game? The most he can do is tie Pat if he wins this year and for me that is a huge "if".

SoonerVol writes:

in response to volposter:

Somebody to pull for.

Also pulling for Angie B. who is in the running for Lowe's Senior Class Award. Angie has had the most votes and has been leading to get the award, up until 15 minutes ago. Maya Moore from UConn is now in the lead by 1/10th of a point. Conn is making a last minute push for her. We need to do the same for Angie. Today is the last day to vote so we need Vol fans to vote from Angie.

xvolx writes:

good practice game

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Thanks Pink and Soddy for clarifying this for him!

The only thing I would like to add is that I would take one Pat over a trillion Genos!! GLV!

Theo writes:

WTG Lady Vols,
loved the tempo, loved the offensive flow. It seemed to me that Kelly was moving better today, perhaps her hip is better. So glad to see Baugh moving without hesitation. And those aren't even the starters. Hopefully we'll take out one of the Big East "juggernauts" on Monday.
Regarding the nasty comments about Griner...Really? Is it ever appropriate, even in an anonymous forum for an adult to be so cruel about a 19 year old? Just really not necessary.
Regardless, so proud of the LVs!

MajorMustard writes:

I loved the enthusiaam for all players to score - good team effort, uphill from here.

ps11824 writes:

C'mon, Brad, I'm not disgracing Rocky Top by using it in the same sentence as you. Geno may even tie Pat for national championships, but he will NEVER equal her in dignity, integrity, played in EVERY NCAA since its inception; I could go on and on, but why?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Alright!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to ps11824:

Very well said! I was going to say the same thing earlier to him, but shortened it. I'm glad you did say it! GLV!

ps11824 writes:

OK, 8 sentences. Is that it, Dan?

wildmed writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Wrong, rockytopbrad - Summitt has one more than Auriema, eight to seven. He might catch her this year but he'll have to wait to pass her.

ps11824 writes:

Will this Pat vs Geno spittin match ever cease? Why can't we just be nice and enjoy our wins and deal with our losses like grown ups?

As for the kids that actually played ball today, kudos to Alyssia Brewer. She had a nice statline: 16 minutes produced 10 pts 9 Rebs 5 Blks and 2 Stls. Nice work, AB. As for our blue collar, ATrain, 6 Rebs 3 Asts 2 Stls 4 Pts in 15 minutes. She is a hard working woman. Good job Simmons, Bj and Kamiko 8 Asts (collectively) 0 turnovers. 7 turnovers total for the game, NICE! 54.2% FG, not good. We will do better next time?

Overall, I was pretty happy with the effort today. Still missed some chippies and we squandered too many opportunities at the free throw line. Today was today; 7 turnovers manageable, but we must not help Marquette with TOs and missed shots under the goal.

VolNationPride writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Don't worry, I bet those Stetson girls had fun. They did get to play UT, that was probably an honor for them. In the womens game, they were playing against tradition and will get to tell their kids/grandkids they got to play the Lady Vols.

The way you want to do it, they might as well not play the tourney, since all the top teams are going to advance anyways. Stetson was never going to win, but they tried hard and will have something to talk about.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Yeah ok wait till uconn

CAN'T WAIT!

rocket22 writes:

in response to ztopia:

WHO CARES? WHO CARES? GAY-TURDS WILL NOT WIN NCAA!

eVOLved writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS!

That guy needs to try out coaching his own gender.

rigid concept of gender?

voloffaith writes:

in response to ztopia:

Twice you've posted "OFF TOPIC" and don't get it! Go to gatur site and post away or if posting On VOL site stay "ON TOPIC".

On topic, nice scrimmage for tough game Monday night. Go Lady Vols!!!

SonsOfTennessee writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

You'd do yourself a huge favor and the rest of us....by not opening your mouth. It seems that all that comes out is nonsense

SonsOfTennessee writes:

in response to ztopia:

Wow!! Is your life really that empty that you need to post the results of your Gayters on a Vol website? Say hi to your mom for me.

500megawatt writes:

Thank God Mike Hamilton is NOT the AD of the women's program. He might have screwed this up!!

ps11824 writes:

Gosh I'd like to hear the Pres one more time talk about his pics. Say did a college player commit some NCAA violation for playing for the government against pros???? : ) Only if TN does it. NCAA mandates practices must be closed to public but it's OK to go play as a fav with the pres' all stars. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma... is the NCAA

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Ughhh. Espn annoucer just called Victoria Dunlap SEC POY. Typical . Looks like Ky is going down to Hampton.

iowavol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS!

Seriously. You can post on here over and over and can't figure out when the Lady Vols play? There are several options including reading articles about their upcoming games.

Great game Lady Vols. Keep it going and never ever be satisfied.

KennyPowers1 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS!

That guy needs to try out coaching his own gender.

Uconn will beat TN w/out any problem. You have to admiot - Pat did not want Uconn at all during the regular season because she knows what would happen...

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Now this was a royal beat down. We have got to have the best shooting team that we've had in a long time. This team is very well rounded. It's really good to see the unselfish play, too. Everybody on the team scored...wow! It's good to have a UT team to feel good about!

Go Lady Vols!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to KennyPowers1:

Beat the Mighty Lady Vols w/out any problem? I don't think so! UConn is tough no doubt but don't have much bench support. I've got a feeling we'll find out before long. Go Lady Vols! We want it all this year and By Golly we've got the team to do it!

HtownVol writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

A agree completely with the first comment. The ladies have not quit all year.

Grow up and worry about real things in life.

Brittany doesnt "jump like a man"

Have you seen the UT men play the past four years? Well, they had a big guy named Brian Williams. I can honestly say that BW has never jumped more than 6 inches off the ground.

And you should know when someone is just kidding.

"grow up" and learn when others are just being sarcastic.

We are all UT fans (most) here. Dont argue. Stick together.. Come on people. We need UT fans to get along!

GO VOLS!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

Two things:
-no competitive player likes to lose, none every goes into a game, even as decided underdogs, with the idea, "oh, I'm just honored to play these guys".
-secondly, so what about the top seeds?? what does i it hurt to have the bottom 16 or whatever play down and then start a 32 team tournament or some such??

I see zero negatives to that, plus it would make the first-round games for top-seeds actually have a chance of an upset....and add to the excitement.