Recent violation likely doomed Bruce Pearl

Mike Hamilton says 'staff cannot be viable'

Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl celebrates as he leaves the court after Tennessee upset No. 18 Vanderbilt 60-51 on Feb. 22. The Vols swept Vandy on the season.

Photo by Mark Humphrey, Associated Press

Fans react to Tennessee's firing of coach Bruce Pearl

Vol Hoops 2010-2011: Out-Dribbled by Distraction and Disappointment

Did Tennessee make the right decision regarding Bruce Pearl?

See the results »

View previous polls »

The Bruce Pearl Era came to a tumultous end on Monday afternoon, when the University of Tennessee informed Pearl he was being fired as men’s basketball coach.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton issued a statement late Monday night indicating the basketball staff committed another violation earlier this month, though the specifics of the violation were not disclosed.

“The cumulative effect of the evolution of the investigation combined with a number of more recent non-NCAA related incidents have led to a belief that this staff cannot be viable at Tennessee in the future,’’ Hamilton’s statement said.

Hamilton said in the release that Pearl will be paid at his current monthly salary of $109,599.40 through June 30, after which he will also receive $50,000 per month for 12 months beginning on July 1 while also receiving health insurance costs. The cumulative figure is $948,728.

Pearl’s three assistants who were also relieved of their duties — Tony Jones, Jason Shay and Steve Forbes — will each be paid at their current salary rate through July 31.

Houston Fancher was promoted to interim coach from his previous position of coordinator of video scouting. Fancher, 45, was coach at Appalachian State from 2000-09 before joining the UT staff as a graduate assistant.

Pearl finishes his six seasons at UT with a 145-61 record, having led the Vols to a school-record six consecutive NCAA tournaments, the most recent coming to an end in a second round 75-45 loss to Michigan in Charlotte, N.C., on Friday.

Pearl’s future with the Vols has been a hot topic since Sept. 10, 2010, when UT received a Letter of Inquiry from the NCAA, and Hamilton revealed Pearl would likely be charged with an unethical conduct violation.

Tennessee’s decision to retain Pearl led to a landslide of criticism and second-guessing from national columnists, radio personalities and television analysts throughout the season.

Pearl, 51, provided false and misleading information to NCAA investigators in a June 14, 2010, interview when asked about a photo of him and then-prospect Aaron Craft taken on Sept. 20, 2008.

At the time the photo was taken, Craft was a high school junior who had made a verbal commitment to attend UT. By NCAA rule, unofficial visitors are not allowed to have off-campus contact with a coaching staff. Current Vols freshman Jordan McRae and Kansas freshman Josh Selby also attended the now infamous barbecue at Pearl’s home.

Pearl received notice that his contract was being terminated on Sept. 9, 2010, and he coached this season working under a Letter of Appointment.

Still, Hamilton insisted it was the school’s intention to stand behind its embattled coach.

UT chancellor Jimmy Cheek weighed in during a Nov. 19 press conference, saying: “Coach Pearl is our coach. He’s going to be our coach for many, many years. We’re going to get through this adversity and we’re going to be stronger as a result of it.’’

Cheek said in a statement issued late Monday night that “the cumulative effect of evolving circumstances” led to the decision to relieve Pearl of his duties.

Numerous twists and turns through the season led to the Pearl saga maintaining national presence.

In November, SEC commissioner Mike Slive took unprecedented action by suspending Pearl for the first half (eight games) of the league season.

UT had self-imposed its own unprecedented penalties on Sept. 10, including Pearl’s salary being reduced by $1.5 million ($500,000 this season), and a one-year off-campus recruiting ban.

On Feb. 23, Tennessee learned the men’s program faced allegations of 10 major violations when the NCAA Enforcement Staff delivered its Notice of Allegations.

The only infraction among the 10 violations that had not been previously disclosed was a so-called “bump violation,’’ which allegedly occurred on Sept. 14 at Oak Hill (Va.) Academy.

According to the enforcement staff, Pearl’s unintentional contact with high school junior Jordan Adams went beyond the acceptable length for happenstance meetings.

Two sources have said UT will appeal the violation.

Tennessee is tentatively scheduled to go before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in Indianapolis on June 10-11.

UT signee Kevin Ware, who requested a release from his National Letter of Intent on Monday, said on March 6 Hamilton told him along with other prospects and their parents that Pearl would be retained as coach.

Hamilton touched off more controversy last Wednesday, when he said in a taped radio interview with Knoxville station WNML that he was unsure if Pearl would return to coach next season.

Many, including the father of UT freshman All-American Tobias Harris, said Hamilton’s comments served as a distraction and led to the loss to Michigan.

“That threw everybody’s psyche off, because all the guys love Bruce Pearl,’’ said Torrel Harris, Tobias’ father. “Mike Hamilton blew them away.’’

Harris, along with other players who have remaining eligibility, met with Hamilton at his office in the Stokely Athletics Center on Monday afternoon with a security guard posted in the hallway.

Jones, Forbes and Shay were also beckoned to Hamilton’s office for a face-to-face firing.

The coaches refused to comment as they exited the building, as did Pearl earlier in the afternoon.

Jones later issued numerous comments through his Twitter account, among them: “Sorry Vol Nation it had to end. I love each and everyone of you to the bottom of my heart.’’

Pearl did not get to meet with all of his players to tell them in person that he had been fired.

Pearl’s accomplishments at UT included a 5-5 record against top five-ranked opponents, the winningest record in SEC play during his tenure (65-31), and the first No. 1 ranking in school history during a school-record 31-win season in 2008.

Departing seniors Brian Williams and John Fields said they were “shocked” by the university’s decision to fire Pearl.

“It is shocking, but I guess in their judgment they did what they thought was best for the university, though I certainly don’t agree,’’ Williams said. “Tennessee basketball won’t be the same, you can be sure about that.’’

Fields said Pearl’s impact was such that he didn’t believe the recent rumors that Pearl would be dismissed.

“I could see how much Coach Pearl did for the community in the year I was here, and just how much he meant to the program and this whole state,’’ said Fields, who transferred to UT from UNC Wilmington last summer.

“You think of that orange blazer, and Tennessee orange, and you think of Coach Pearl. He resurrected this program from nothing.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

The_Mayor writes:

just dayum

chrisw2967 writes:

I just hope they got those curtains cleaned.Does MH still have a job ?

Southland writes:

So hoping that UT does not go back to mediocrity in basketball again. I was a basketball fan that only checked box scores for several years and Pearl came on the scene and it got me so pumped again. Surely we will not allow it to return to the mess that it was. For years the only team that was better than us was UK and then we let several schools pass us up. Cant stand the thought of returning to being embarrassed during basketball season and saying "well at least our girls can beat your girls."

TheOpinion writes:

You know I usually say "whatever on to the next one" but I feel like I have to hold tears back. This man has been an awesome coach. He's the greatest UT bball coach ever in my opinion. Seeing him on another team's sideline will be like seeing your ex girlfriend with another guy. I wish him the best of luck. Thank you for embracing all of our traditions and for creating many new ones. You stayed by UT's side when other schools offered you jobs, but I guess UT slammed the door when they had a chance to return the favor. I've been a Mike Hamilton supporter until now. I say while we're cleaning house go ahead and let him go. www.firemikehamilton.com. FIRE MIKE FIRE MIKE FIRE MIKE. Thank you.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Are they going to publish what this latest violation was about? It must have happened AFTER March 6!

govols1234567 writes:

Kevin Ware, Tobias and his father, the Tennessee basketball team, the Tennessee football team, and UT athletics in general has been negatively affected by Hamilton. Its time to move on. Show him the door as well

NTNSTY writes:

I support Mike. I think he's a good AD. I supported Bruce and Phil too. I don't think most of you know beans about most things you comment on.

TkelynN writes:

How many PR gaffes is the idiot Hamilton allowed to have before he gets fired? The way he treated Fulmer, the bad hire with Kiffin, telling Kippy Brown he was going to be next football coach, and a totally slap in the face to Pearl and the men's team just before the tourney and making the decision to fire Pearl hours before the Lady Vols game? You kidding me? He caused the embarassing loss to Michigan and almost cost the Lady Vols their game. This guy needs to be shown the door, ASAP~! UT is a public relations nightmare, who would want to be a coach or fan of this mess with hammy at the helm?

FWBVol writes:

I believe the administration made the right decision, especially considering the violation earlier this month. The only thing I have a problem with is that I believe Pearl should have been allowed to tell the team in person that he had been fired.

For those of you blaming Mike Hamilton, he did everything he could to support Pearl. The administration was willing to take a hit for Pearl, but Pearl was his own worst enemy. None of this would be happening if he had just come clean with the NCAA about the cookout at his house the first time and not lied about it.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

I just hope they got those curtains cleaned.Does MH still have a job ?

Remember, no man is larger than the organization he works for. The organization always survives as will UT and they will continue to do well because give Pearl credit he has built something that is better than it ever was and someone will pick up the baton and move forward. I don;t feel sorry or regret for Pearl because he brought his problems upon himself. He failed in the leadership of keeping the program straight and without the errors he did himself.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Y'all learn to enjoy the taste of Kentucky poop again...

mediocrity, we be it.

Slystone writes:

The fan base should stop wagging the dog and refocus on the real situation - Pearl brought all of this on himself by lying,period!

FWBVol writes:

in response to TheOpinion:

It's more like Pearl had the keys to the house in his own pocket, but locked himself out and then threw the keys down the sewer. Every indication is that Hamilton and the administration was willing to stand behind Bruce Pearl until he continued to break the rules after lying about breaking the rules.

Yes, Bruce Pearl is a great basketball coach, but he also represented the University of Tennessee. His misconduct is likely to cost the university for the next several years.

I doubt if we will be seeing Pearl on another team's bench any time soon. All of the so-called experts are saying it could be four or five years before another school takes a chance on Pearl because he's damaged goods. The sad thing is he damaged himself.

phhome writes:

in response to NTNSTY:

I don't think you know jack about nothing, or you would know, an intelligent AD would never do what this CLOWN did to the team before the big game, but he has screwed us twice now, huh no biggie, i guess he's going to say that he didn't tell young Mr. Ware and those families they were going to keep CBP, Oh I think he told them a lie, guess he should now pack his bags, because lying to a parent is way more hurtful than to the NCAA, they'll spread the word about the school now, and whoever becomes coach has to deal with a lying administration, so you go right ahead and stick with that LIAR HAMILTON!!!

phhome writes:

in response to FWBVol:

you need to put down whatever you're smoking!! With friends like hamilton who needs enemies!!

UTTuba writes:

So the final straw was extra tickets for a players family. Wow.

The_Mayor writes:

In the grand scheme of all this, it is mostly sad for kids, because they didn't have a part in any of this. They were made to believe in all this controversy that they lacked effort and leadership, and we all ignorantly and uninformed bought into it. They were afforded scholarships, but I can assure you this is not what they signed up for. They were not afforded an environment to focus on the task at at hand, being student-athletes. Sad.

chucker6 writes:

Bring back Ernie Grunfeld, he has the name, the experience and the integrity to take UT basketball to the top.

mbain13 writes:

this is just bad...blown way out of proportion. He should have never even gotten this much attention. Look at Jim Tressel, they had him on ESPN for about 2 days, and what he did was worse than Pearl. The only thing Pearl did wrong was lie about something that doesn't even matter. NCAA needs to just loosen up, Pearl gained no competitive advantage by any of this. Now he's fired and won't have another job at a big school. this is just sad. I feel for Bruce, Tony, the whole staff who loved Tennessee very much. I also feel awful for the players, freshman through the seniors, they all have to just be down and out about this. This should have never happened to be this big or to ever end like this. Sad day. Love ya Bruce!

smokeybitesback writes:

FIRE HAMILTON!!!!!!!! WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR? YOU SPINELESS BASTARDS FIRE HIM

claiborneh writes:

Nothing Pearl did was evil. Maybe dumb but nothing malicious or that gave competitive advantage. Wes Rucker has the best article by far titled Now It Makes Sense.It says exactly what I'm not a good enough writer to express. Pearl fans, the firing is apparently about this March mystery violation.It may even turn out to be another minor infraction like the Sept bump violation and maybe even both will be successfully appealed. No matter how minor it
could turn out to be, it is the final straw in a very over scrutinized and condemning environment. Pearl is a good man. He has too much charisma and he will win a national championship at a major program someday.I just wish it could have been here because Pearl would have eventually won a national championship in Knoxville because his kids played for him and his fans believed in him. In time and at a different school he will succeed again.

richvol writes:

I feel really bad for Pearl and the University. Why couldn't Pearl have told the truth...but the bump and this latest faux pas is just unbelieveably dumb. Keep your head down and fly right if you're being watched.

We need someone to hire a basketball coach NOW...if we fire Hamilton who's gonna do it? Think about that.

GardenGnome writes:

So what's the most recent violation? Why does it take two days meeting with the NCAA "infraction goons" to figure out what the hell's going on? What were the other ten "major" infractions"? All I keep hearing about is this BBQ at the Pearl compound. Jim Tressel and Ohio State had better get similar punishment or there is something definitely wrong with this picture. So many of the rules and regulations are just ridiculous. I may be in violation by just speaking of it here.

The more time goes on, the more I follow pro sports and the less I like college. The gestapo-like tactics of the NCAA is what is tainting sports more than anything else.

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

fire bruce pearl? and then keep mike hamilton? ...... WTF?

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

in response to smokeybitesback:

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP! .... big oil ... LOVES HAMILTON.

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

in response to phhome:

LIAR,LIAR,PANTS ON FIRE

AclockworkOrange writes:

in response to NTNSTY:

Good point. Most everybody in Vol Nation is screaming for Hamilton's head on a platter. I saw an interview ESPN did with Pat Summitt after her victory over Marquette. She said that the chancellor and president would do the right thing. No mention of Hamilton. So I think that comment lends some credibility toward the feeling that Hamilton is not really pulling the strings. So much going on behind the scenes we have no clue about

AclockworkOrange writes:

in response to phhome:

Maybe you should research the facts a little more. Hamilton told the kid Ware on March 6 that Pearl would be back. There was another violation committed after that date (ESPN is saying a substance violation with a player and possibly extra tickets at the KY game). So that is what happened, more violations against Pearl and his staff were uncovered. I have been saying for the last month Pearl had not learned his lesson due to recruiting violations he committed at W-Mil, and some questionable tactics when he was an assistant at Iowa. I guess he thought he could do as he pleased.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Fire Hamilton.

AclockworkOrange writes:

in response to claiborneh:

It was not evil, but having illegal contact with recruits is definitely trying to gain a competitive advantage. How could it not be? As far as Pearl coaching again, yes someone will give him a shot but at least our Univeristy did the right thing. No one coach is above the rules or bigger than the Univeristy, I don't care how successful he is. I hate how this turned out also, but what he did was very serious, and now he is being held accountable. And 2nd chances, I think he was given plenty of chances.

sstirrer writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP! .... big oil ... LOVES HAMILTON.

WRONG. Big Oil loves Bruce, and said so in a Admin. meeting last fall.

tomdually writes:

Kiffen was a GREAT choice!!!!!!!!!! Now how bad can he wreck Basketball @ UT wakeup!!!!!!!!!!!

RockyBears2009 writes:

possible coaching option....Geno Auriemma from UConn- Geno and Summitt coaching together...could be dynamic!

Go_Big_O writes:

I haven't been the biggest Hamilton supporter, but look at the facts. MH took a big risk standing by CBP during all of this. He was steadfast and solid in his commitment. Apparently right up until the last incident of cheating was revealed.

If a guy messes up as CBP did, and you give him another chance, then that guy had better toe the line. I was wondering what made MH change his stance so quickly. Another violation when all of America and the NCAA have us under the microscope. Unbelievable. MH had no choice in my humble opinion.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to Southland:

I thought we were fairly mediocre this year. And Bruce was the sole reason for the problems. One lie can get ya with the wrong people. I laughed when people said we might go all the way to the final 4 just so Bruce could stay. they really played for him in the tourney....LOL

Kasey writes:

A recent violation of any sort just shows Pearl's real character (or lack of). Under all this scrutiny he still can't behave himself. He did invogorate the men's program, but that does not excuse his repetitive violations.

Engloid2 writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP! .... big oil ... LOVES HAMILTON.

Knoxville voted big oil into town, and they're here to stay.. Money talks.

stratocaster54 writes:

in response to PrideOfTheSouthlandBanned:

Well said! Using Hamilton's own words, I believe his "cumulative [negative] effect[s]" on all the men's programs should warrant ADMITTED release w/o pay!

UkJarhead writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Every UT fan that supported Pearl needs to read this post over and over then again. Pearl and his braintrust have no clue how to operate within the rules. I support the SEC and liked Pearl. He was good for the league. He couldn't beat us very regularly but who can? HeHe. I'm for anyone that makes our league relevant. He is done with college coaching. There is no way he will be hired. Resume is awful. Don't we all wish we could be fired for cheating like crazy and still get almost a million dollars?

stratocaster54 writes:

So now that they [NCAA] got THEIR way, does this mean they'll let UT off the hook?

stratocaster54 writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

Mighty big words for somebody who has a coach who has run away from several programs just ahead of serious NCAA punishment. Good news though, it's almost football season - doormat (28-0).

VolOak writes:

Very sad. Such a great coach and one who has done so much for Tennessee. I believe passion for building and winning often blurrs the dividing line between doing it the “right” way and cutting corners that can’t be cut. That is one major reason for the success of coach Summit. No one is more passionate about winning and building for UT than she. But she keeps a focus on what the rules are and just doesn’t cross that line no matter what. A shame Bruce couldn’t see that and emulate it. We will miss him. At heart I believe he is a great guy, but just is over powered by his passion sometimes for the game.

Katphan29 writes:

Lots of articles - I think I counted 7 - on Pearl and UT and UT's possible future on cbsports.com

Geez, you can't even read about upcoming games for reading all the Pearl stuff. Drop the story so UT can move on.

acworthdave writes:

Prediction....

This new non-NCAA violation is probably something personal in nature that is designed to justify the actions of the University and keep Pearl quiet.

UT will hire Rick Byrd from Belmont in the next few days. We will be lucky to have him, mainly because no one else will have any interest in the position. This hire will play well with the NCAA and the national media. The fan base will not be happy but who really gives a phooey what they think.

Rick will try to convince Tobias Harris to stay but he will go. We will also lose both recruits. Hopson is in a tough position. I am not sure what he does but if the NBA initial response is not good, he may not have a choice but to come back.

Hamilton will "retire" from UT before the June meeting with the NCAA.

Our new AD (have no clue here where they go. I hope Holloway but they will probably bring in an AD from somewhere else who is squeeky clean) will meet with the NCAA, where UT can show that our house has been cleaned up. We will be rewarded for our actions with a much less penalty than originally discussed.

Rick Byrd stays 3-4 years. We gradually improve each year and eventually make the NIT in his last year. Our average strength of schedule during these years will be 115.

Rick Byrd retires and we hire the next big mid-major coach. The trend continues....

GBO

pastorjc writes:

Rules, policies, and procedures. You have them for your kids, they have them at their school, you have them at your job, and we have them at during athletic events and we have them at college level interscholastic sports programs. Do we like them? No! Do we think they are dumb? Yes! Do we think some idiot with nothing else better to do wrote them? Yes!

But they are rules that we agree to abide by when we sign our name to the dotted line. We make a promise to the financial institution we will pay the loan based on their rules. We make a promise to abide by the rules on our job. I live in NE Ohio, but grew up in Knoxville. My blood runs deep Orange. I fly a UT flag in the midst of Buckeye territory. Bruce knew the rules and broke them. Small as those rules might be, he signed the line to represent the Vol Nation with integrity. I hate to see him go. It is a shame that he will not get to defend himself.

plumcreekfarm#234902 writes:

in response to RockyBears2009:

could be EXPLOSIVE

al2476 writes:

It scares me sh**less to even think that LIAR HAMILTON might hire the next basketball coach. Bring back Phil Fulmer and get some integrity back in the athletic program. He is UT all the way.

99gator writes:

mike hamilton should be fired just for how he handled this situation and the fulmer dismissal.

he should have kept his mouth shut until after the tourney. he also should have given pearl the ability to meet with the players and speak to them one last time.

it's a total bush league move, which is a sign of why tennessee has had such a bush league athletic department under hamilton's watch.

VolNationPride writes:

in response to AclockworkOrange:

Unfortunately, Mike does need to go. He is responsible for keeping things right within the orginization. That is part of being an AD, raising money is the other part of it. Can you justify keeping him just cause he raises a lot of money, even though the ship that is called UT is sinking? Just like every manager, which in a way that is what he is, if things have failed under your watch then you are fired.

It has been said by many, if Bruce messed up again which he obviously did, then he needs to go. This whole debacle has been a PR nightmare from the beginning and that started with Mike Hamilton. He ran Tennessee's name through the mud just like Bruce Pearl. Both of them by their actions, Mike Hamilton may not have meant to do it but he did. The fact is, Bruce should have been fired from the get go if they were going to fire him. If the excuse is they were trying to save the season, then that shows a lack of integrity on their part. That just gave the media more ammo to make us look like idiots.

Mike would be better suited for a role that is just based off fundraising. I do believe he is a good guy personally, but in business it is all about how you handle things when situations arise and he dropped the ball on that.

CCLC writes:

Cheer up! Lady Vols are doing great.