Kevin Ware to stick with Vols

Signee says he's a 'Vol For Life'

Tennessee basketball signee Kevin Ware used his Twitter account on Wednesday afternoon to announce his intentions to stick with the Vols despite Bruce Pearl being fired on Monday.

"VFL" read Ware's tweet, the letters standing for "Vol For Life,'' according to Ware, a 6-foot-4 senior guard at Rockdale County High School in Conyers, Ga., and the No. 56 player in the nation according to Rivals.com.

"As long as they hire a good coach I can trust, I'll want to be at Tennessee,'' said Ware, who on Monday faxed a request to the NCAA and UT to be released from his National Letter of Intent. "Bruce Pearl had a dominant part in me coming to Tennessee, and when I'd come up, I got to know other people real well.''

Vols interim head coach Houston Fancher spoke to Ware's father, Wesley, Wednesday morning.

"Jordan (McRae) said he thought they were going to hire a really good coach,'' Ware said. "Tennessee, to me, it's more than just a basketball relationship.''

Ware said he has not spoken with UT athletic director Mike Hamilton.

On Tuesday, the Vols' other Class of 2011 signee, Chris Jones, told the Memphis Commercial Appeal that he has requested a release from his National Letter of Intent.

Jones, a guard ranked 39th by Rivals.com, is enrolled at Evelyn Mack Academy in Charlotte, N.C.

Cartersvillevol writes:

Wow! Hope Ware sticks with the Vols. He is a huge talent.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Great news!! Good head on his shoulders, sounds more mature than some we have recently had. Hope Tobias feels the same way - he seems mature enough to think things through.

tree_em_smokey writes:

Now if we can get Jones to think the same way we'll be A-okay! VFL!

acworthdave writes:

I will believe it when he enrolls.

chrisw2967 writes:

The kid just might have a clue who the coach is going to be

seymorehoops writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Just because Harris goes pro doesnt mean he is not mature. If he is a 1st rounder he is getting guaranteed money. Rookie contracts are going to take a hit in the new labor agreement. If he goes be happy for him. It is only going to show more recruits they can come to UT and make it to the league. What if he comes back and gets hurt? If its what he wants then he should go. It will only help the program in the long run

UofTNVol writes:

in response to seymorehoops:

Agree. We need Ware, and I could never fault Harris no matter what decision he makes. Best of luck to them both no matter which path they choose.

wags32 writes:

I do not see how Tobias could be a first round pick! I would be shocked if that happened, especially with all of the foreign talent these days. I think he will be back for one more year, Scotty hahahahahaha give me a break only way he leaves is for overseas...

volzrock54 writes:

This tells me this kid has heard something. Maybe we have a good coach coming that hasn't been announced. I know it seems far fetched but why would a descent player like this kid stick around other wise. Just sayin.. Go Vols!

VOLliven2it writes:

Sounds like either McRae was very convincing or Ware believes we will be getting a good coach or a combination of both. I hope he stays and has a successful career. I also hope we really do get a great coach.

TennVol01 writes:

Yesterday, in a radio interview, Jones stated he is willing to meet with the new coach. But the most positive statement he made was that if Ware decided to play at UT, he will stay at UT also. Maybe TN can salvage this recruiting group of young men. But, Jones is struggling with academics and may have to go to junior college for a year or two.

pms151 writes:

Just goes to prove what most of us non trustees know. The talent rarely comes to a school for the school itself. No kid comes to school because of Mike Hamilton or Jimmy Cheek either, but they can certainly stay away because of them. Same with ESPN. Without Pat and Bruce it would have been a rare visitor.

Agent13 writes:

This is a streak of sunlight through some very dark clouds for a change. I hope he stays! I hope they go for 1.) Stephens, 2.) Mooney, 3.) Smart, or 4.) Byrd in that order.

37803Vol writes:

PTL!!!

Tennfan4075 writes:

The Pearl coached Vols have already beaten most of the teams coached by the so called top replacements. What does this say about the future direction of Vol basketball?

easleychuck writes:

The worst decision is still upcoming. Scotty Hopson entering the draft will be the worst decision that he kid could possibly make. Stay get a degree. His NBA chances don't look all that promising.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

It says we had great talent...and a good coach. These coaches are good also. Who knows what another coach can do till they try here. Anyway I hope we get one soon!
I hope one of these kids can be a true point.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

Don't read too much into this. It's a tweet. A lot of things can happen between now and NSD (If basketball has one); not trying to throw a wet blanket on things, just bein' real. Love to have him.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to easleychuck:

I don't necessarily think he couldn't hack it in the NBA, but I agree he should stay and finish school. Just too big a risk not to.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to 37803Vol:

PTL!!!

You guys ok? Looks like you had a couple tornadoes hit last night. I'm a BC native myself.

JohnnyD writes:

Who cares! he should go somewhere he will have a chance to make the NCAA! Here we will be lucky to make the CBI! Sorry the school wouldnt release you buddy. Not surprising coming from Hamilton and Cheek! Bring back Pearl!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to JohnnyD:

Look, I'm going to miss the sh_t out of Pearl. But telling guys to avoid coming here isn't exactly going to help the Vols make the NCAA....sort of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

westknoxrepub writes:

Better get a good hire, a Byrd (SOS 261) or Marshall hire won't keep high level players.

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

Hamilton gone in 48 hours according to sources

cloudodust writes:

I tip my hat to any Tennessee recruit that maintains their commitment at the present time. The recruits futures are in the balance and they must look after themselves. Who wouldn't..? As a Tennessee fan, I'm somewhat disappointed with recruits that bail on the Vols but I try to understand their logic. Regarding basketball, the right HC coming in will help. Any possible NCAA sactions that harm the program will not...Fire Hammy

govolsrpa writes:

Right now Scotty would have a hard time playing in Europe where fundamentals are stressed to a higher level. He cant not handle the Bball in traffic. Those guys over there would strip him to no ends. He has to get in the gym this entire year and work on this part of his game as well as his jumpshot.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

Hamilton gone in 48 hours according to sources

..LINK?

richvol writes:

I will say this...if Hamilton has not put out feelers for a potential coach long before now then he does deserve to be fired. During the months of uncertainty about Pearl's future Hamilton should have developed a short list and inquired about who had some interest. If not then he had his head in the sand.

bUTchVFL writes:

Ware is a great example of what a scholar athlete is supposed to look like. Sidewalk alumni will never understand that UT is more than TBA and Neyland Stadium. GBO!

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

..LINK?

People never understand that good sources are good because they are anonymous.

dtacker#607308 writes:

yeah for real.....send us a link. I haven't heard anything about Hammy being fired.

12Hours writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

Hamilton gone in 48 hours according to sources

Give me a break!
If this is true it would be because Mike is tired of all this hatred and will move on to one of his many charitable interest. Personally,I see him doing this in a few years.
But you can bet that he isnot being fired!
No way Cheek supports him and says he looks forward to working with him in the future (which he just said Monday night) and then fires him.
Cheek has learned too much from this whole lieing mess with Bruce and would not do that himself.
But if it makes you haters feel better to keep dreaming that Mike is going to be fired, keep on dreaming.
I assure you,when Mike leaves it will be by his own choice.

NYvolFan writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

Hamilton gone in 48 hours according to sources

I sure hope you are correct!

alvol writes:

in response to wags32:

Are you a pro scout? Thanks for your informed opinion.

bjlong38326#239292 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

bobby cremins "ex ga. tech coach would be a great hire".

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

People never understand that good sources are good because they are anonymous.

Yes, but it's just as plausible to say that this was made up. Time will tell whether this is true, I guess.

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

Good point. I never trust any of the rumors from bloggers on these sites

brokendownoldvol writes:

Who wants players who only enroll based on who a coach is? They could care less about the school anyway. They obviously are only about "me, me, me".

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to wags32:

You're right! Harris is NOT a first-rounder, yet! Chism was better last year and in what round did he get drafted? Both need more time and training!

murrayvol writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

Emotion often drives early feelings and comments in these situations.

More mature reflection usually makes for better decisions.....sometimes not.

jarvol writes:

"Ware said he has not spoken with UT athletic director Mike Hamilton." - GOOD! Please don't. Hopefully that moron will be gone by the time you step foot on campus.

murrayvol writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

Are you saying people actually make things up and post them as truth?

Geez! Who knew?

vol88 writes:

VFL... I wish that would sink in with some of these "oh, we'll never win another game again" fairweather fans as well.

HardKnox2010 writes:

in response to cloudodust:

Well said. Kevin Ware will be an instant hero at UT for his loyalty. So will Chris Jones if he decides to stay with his commitment.

Given what we now know about Hamilton, if he is allowed to stay and hire a coach, the poor guy will be under suspicion from Day 1.

murrayvol writes:

in response to vol88:

Shake it off vol88. Every fanbase is full to overflowing with Chicken Littles.

Ironcity writes:

in response to easleychuck:

even if he doesn't get in the NBA he will make a truck load of money in Europe. I really believe his game is better suited for Europe anyways.

Whatever he does I wish him well. This fan base really has not treated him very kind.

cloudodust writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

True and false. Basketball being a different beast than football is more likely to meet that specific criteria but is not soley limited to BB. We saw that when LK bailed. The roster numbers are the difference maker and programs can retain more in the way of school loyalty and talent in football when changes are made. The exciting part will be to see how many recruits give a "Double dam right on..!" when Hammy is fired...

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to jarvol:

Hamilton a moron?

I'd bet my house that his IQ is higher than yours...and it probably isn't close!

dcrudeboy writes:

I thought he was picking UT for the academics?

EastTennGirl writes:

We love you Kevin Ware! You are ALL VOL!!