Advisor: Scotty Hopson 'believes he’s a solid first-round guy'

Tennessee guard Scotty Hopson shoots a layup in the game against Florida during the second round of the SEC Tournament at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga., Friday, March 11, 2011.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee All-SEC shooting guard Scotty Hopson is heading into his NBA workout this weekend believing he’s a first-round draft pick, according to his advisor, Larry Marshall.

“I said, ‘Scotty, what do you think?’ ” Marshall said Wednesday night. “He believes he’s a solid first-round guy. If he thought he was a second-rounder, he should go back to school.’’

Marshall said he declined “12 or 13” teams’ requests to have Hopson work out for them, choosing instead to have Hopson work out at an NBA combine-like event at the New Jersey Nets practice facility Saturday and Sunday.

Hopson has until midnight on Sunday to inform Tennessee if he’ll return for his senior season.

Marshall, who has been putting Hopson through workouts in New Jersey, said he’s leaving the decision up to Hopson.

“We’re going to the workout this weekend and see what they say, and we’ll make a decision then,’’ Marshall said. “To be very honest, it’s not my decision. I do a feasibility study that will reveal the truth. He wants to hear for himself what the league has to say.’’

Marshall said he believes Hopson would get selected in the first round of the NBA draft June 23, which would mean he would get a guaranteed contract.

“At the end of the day, I like his chances,’’ said Marshall, who previously served as an advisor for Los Angeles Lakers player Andrew Bynum. “Scotty’s a prototypical NBA two-guard; he has the athleticism of any two guard in the draft, he has the wingspan, he can shoot the ball, he can defend the wing, the point guard and swing players.’’

NBA analysts have expressed concern about the 6-foot-6 Hopson’s lack of consistency in published pre-draft reports.

“The naysayers aren’t the ones writing the checks,’’ Marshall said. “Was the (Tennessee) program consistent? I don’t think it was. I think they had up and downs. They won against top-five teams, and they lost against some teams at the bottom of the barrel.

“Inconsistency breeds inconsistency.’’

Marshall said “everyone knows that in another year, Scotty is a lottery pick.’’

But, he added, “There’s going to be a team out there that will jump on top of him.’’

Hopson didn’t attend UT’s spring workouts, but he made arrangements with his professors to keep up with his classes and has stayed in communication with new Vols coach Cuonzo Martin.

Attempts to reach Hopson were unsuccessful.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tenacjim#211887 writes:

Give Dennis Rogan a call Scotty. His adviser is saying the program's inconsistency caused Scotty's inconsistency? Sure looked the other way around to me.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say best wishes either way. Witch Doctor say go Vols!
Bones never lie.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

He might be the only one who thinks and believes that!

AlphaMan writes:

I think Hopson hopes to have one fantastic showing, which he can do. The problem is his inconsistency. It's a known problem. Refusing to work out with so many teams only reinforces that impression.

A first rounder? ... Doubtful.

carbonzip writes:

If you are 1st round, go. If not, come back and let Martin help you get to the top.

volspaws writes:

Sad that an impressionable young guy would listen to a fast talking grease ball like Marshall who's obviously telling him what he wants to hear...Scotty might indeed be a first round pick...in a league in Spain or Greece..."he can defend the wing"...really?? I've been watching Scotty for three years and that's news to me

mhsvol writes:

Like one scout said about a potential NBA player when he watched his workout, "The guy looks great, until you watch the tape."

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I have a question for someone with some legal expertise. What is the difference between an agent and an advisor? If the "advisor" has authority to decline workout requests by NBA teams, isn't he acting as a representative for the player? There must be some distinction. Maybe one of the lawyers out there can educate us as to the distinction, and at one point does an advisor cross the line and become an agent.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I meant to say at WHAT point does an advisor cross the line and become an agent.

huntined#565710 writes:

Hope he is willing to listen to the teams that are there and make a decision on that. If he is not a first round pick I hope they tell him that.

BankerVol writes:

Looks to me like Scotty needs a solid NEW ADVISOR... He is not a first-round guy. GUARANTEEEEEEED!

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

another delusional one----Scottie, now is not the time to start smoking crack

TeamXer writes:

Poor sap is gone. Send us a postcard from the Ukraine, Scotty.

chrisw2967 writes:

I hope he can afford a passport.He will need one going to Turkey

miatatom writes:

"he can defend the wing, the point guard and swing players.’’

Are you kidding me?

RoadTrip writes:

His heart isn't in being at UT. We saw his emotions a bunch with all of the pouting and posing. Good luck young man. You are going to need it.

runninbroke writes:

Truthfully, I like Scotty but I don't see him even getting drafted! Period...

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

It means he pays guys, but doesn't cook out for them.

toldyouthatspsuckedfor3years writes:

Scotty Hopson will not get drafted. That is a gurantee. Harris might slip into the top 20.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

When will you people wake up and realize that he's going to be on a roster next year? My goodness, you guys are thickheaded as UK fans.

MaxPower writes:

in response to miatatom:

"he can defend the wing, the point guard and swing players.’’

Are you kidding me?

He "can" defend, but often lacks the desire to do so. That's my opinion anyway.

I don't blame the advisor. I'm sure Scotty, like many athletes, will only listen to someone who tells him what he wants to hear.

OrangeDew writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

When did us people say he wouldn't be on a roster? He will definitely be on a roster; most likely not an NBA one though.

Goodvol writes:

Scottie needs to look at the mock drafts and see where he sits. Also, just listen to the NBA teams. Convincing yourself you are a 1st round pick doesn't make you one. He has a reputation that needs another year to get rid of. He is seen as lazy and inconsistent. I don't believe someone will take that gamble when there are other players that are safer.

murrayvol writes:

I like Scotty and wish him well whether he goes or stays. I just think he's getting bad advice.

Vol_in_Atl writes:

This is a lamb being led to the slaughter...Against a mediocre Kentucky team, a mediocre SEC line-up in the tournament, etc...he was a NON-FACTOR! Can you imagine what Kobe would do against this kid?!? Can you say '60+ points'?!? Get real--and get your a**s back in school!

MikeTheTiger writes:

in response to miatatom:

"he can defend the wing, the point guard and swing players.’’

Are you kidding me?

I agree. I want some of whatever this guy is smoking!

born2ride writes:

I hope Scotty speaks Turkish. He is NOT a First Round Pick.

TommyJack writes:

Don't understand the hate.

VolunteerLifer writes:

It's time to fish or cut bait for Scotty Hopson. I hope he makes the right decision for himself.

KJVol writes:

Good luck to Scottie, but he'd be well served to do a realistic self-assessment. Another year in college under the tutelage of a guy that would actually force him to play defense would do him a world of good.

clvolfan writes:

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

He might be the only one who thinks and believes that!

And I might still have a chance to be president,plus I imagine Tobias will be the first one picked.

VOLtage writes:

First rounder? Uh no. Dribbles like a first grader? Uh yes.

jjsteel writes:

Scotty, have you really forgotten how many times you were burned this past year. Watch the tapes again. Marshall is blowin' you up.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

Is this a Ketucky Blew site? Who are these venomous posters. Wish all you jerks a good life too. And good luck to Scotty. I hope you don't read these trashy posts.

VolNationPride writes:

Ofcourse Scotty is going to tell the Advisor that he thinks he is a first rounder. Any athlete has to have confidence in himself and Scotty wasn't going to say.."Uh, I think I am just average and will go bottom of second round." The "Advisor" is probably just hoping he will get to be "Agent" once Scotty declares for the draft, that way he will get his cut of whatever Scotty makes.

Sad situation for Scotty, I really believe he may get drafted, it just won't be where he expects.

tdvol1989 writes:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa...and Ha!

Some people disagree with Scotty's draft selection in the spirit of trashing him. But, this is not about Scotty not being any good. It is about STUPID advisors that, unfortunately, some of these guys put in their inner circle.

I understand the injury risk. Call Lloyd's of London and insure yourself. But, the BEST way to have a great NBA career is to become a great NBA player. Scotty, you have the profile to be great player when it comes to the things you cannot teach, like size and atleticism. But, the NBA is BRUTAL!!! You need to work on your ball skills and defense. Cuonzo can help you.

Don't believe the BS. I know there is some money at play. But going in BARELY will prevent you from getting the right opportunities. You will be labeled a project. Become a great player and the rest will take care of itself.

I read a Duke DeLuca post about Tobias earlier today when he referenced how dominant Bernard King was from the get go, yet he stayed. It was a different time and different draft practices, but take advantage of the FREE Education and Training you have available. Come get better and do it right.

Outdated writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Don't understand the hate.

How about reality? Hopson was isolated by our opponents who knew they could shoot a layup anytime..he has no ability at this time to anticipate his opponents move..he gets going one way and can't stop..VOL fans are forgiving and would welcome him back even tho he was miserable to watch this year..Also Martin seems to have a staff with NBA experience and I know he sees where Hopson will have to improve..Come on back Hopson..no hate ..just reality..

orangevoltrain writes:

The mock drafts I have been looking at Has T.Harris any where from 16 to 19 in first round.
Scotty Hopson any where from 47 to 55 in second round and not even getting drafted on other site

orangevoltrain writes:

T Harris will not be back I believe and Scotty Hopson won't either, Hopson needs to come back either way best of luck VFL. GO VOLS

orangevoltrain writes:

in response to orangevoltrain:

Also found another site that shows T Harris Going 19 In first round and Scotty Hopson going 45 In round 2

A_Voice_ofReason writes:

You people really think Hopson will be a first rounder? HAHAHAHA! A word for you folks...Scotty DOESN'T think he's a first rounder, he's just being told he is but not by very many people.

Hopson will be back at UT...after this weekend, it will be made very clear to him that he won't be even considered until the late 2nd or 3rd round.

Sweet_T writes:

First, of all, I wish Scotty all the best in life. I hope he surprises me and has a great NBA career. Second, I want to throw this poll question out:
Who led to more UT fan frustration: Scotty Hopson or Jonathan Crompton?
I honestly don't know.

Outdated writes:

in response to Sweet_T:

Who led to more UT fan frustration: Scotty Hopson or Jonathan Crompton?
I honestly don't know.

Crompton finished strong so at this time Hopson would be my guess..But Scotty has the chance to come back and make all his critics (including me) look like idiots..I'm hoping he does..and I hope Martin works a miracle with him..if that happens ...Martin's bandwagon won't hold us alll..

carbonzip writes:

Come back, play to your potential, become an All-American, then go to the NBA with people knowing who you are.

Outdated writes:

in response to A_Voice_ofReason:

Sounds Reasonable...

sfox writes:

I think Coach Martin must have mixed emotions about the return of either of these players. CCM obviously prefers "team" players. Both Hopson and Harris are ball hogs...not that they are selfish. It's just that they have always been that much better than the players around them. That puts the pressure on them to produce. They would both learn from a "team concept" coach. Pearl started out that way, but seemed to depend more and more on his "stars." Something must be said about those players that play above their abilities rather than below. Both have the abilities to succeed in the pros, but alot depends on how they are coached. Good luck to both, either way they decide.

VolGrad writes:

Beam me up, Scotty.

GBO!

dyerbey#281598 writes:

ain't happening scotty. How does Turkey sound?
Stay in school son.

VOLliven2it writes:

Scotty or not at UT the season's coming. I would love to see him stay but understand if he goes. As I have written about Harris, the same is true for Hopson. If he goes this year, he will be watching a lot. He will be a project and it will be a number of years before he has any opportunity of becoming a great NBA player. I write that with no hate nor malice. I wish him well if he stays or goes. But the lure of quick money sometimes clouds reality in judgment. I hope both Scotty and Tobias look long and hard before they trapse on off to the next level.

claiborneh writes:

I don't know a lot about college basketball or the NBA other than the local articles that every other pontificating blogger on this site reads. I do not know how to break down skills of a player. But how can any player who was never even a semi-star at Tennessee be considered for playing in the NBA much less be a first round possibility. I doubt few know who Scotty Hopson is outside of Knoxville.