Melvin Goins experiment ends for UT football

Tennessee's Melvin Goins runs a drill during practice at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 2, 2011.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Former Tennessee point guard Melvin Goins attempted transition from basketball to football was short-lived. UT coach Derek Dooley confirmed Wednesday night that Goins wouldn't return to the football program.

"It wasn't my decision," Dooley told GVX247.com at the Big Orange Caravan stop in Chattanooga. "I think Melvin, he did what he wanted to do. He wanted to try it out and see, and that's what we'd talked about. That's why I wanted to see. That's why I wanted him to come out in this spring, because I knew what kind of investment it was going to take, and I knew the challenge it was going to be for him to be even a guy who's in the two-deep. That was why it was important for him to get out there in the spring, instead of working out all summer and coming in for two-a-days and getting disappointed.

"We support Melvin. He was great about it, and I think he's making the right decision, to be frank with you. . . . Football's not an easy sport to just jump in and start playing."

And Goins agreed with Dooley's assesment in an interview earlier in the day with WNML radio.

"I had a great time during spring football, just to be able to experience a whole new culture in the sports realm and to be able get to know those guys," Goins said.

"Being on this campus in high-major Division I athletics, you're so dialed into your culture - if you play basketball, that's what you are around all the time. Football is the same way, and we really never interact as student-athletes. . . . It was good to be able to go out there and experience that culture and interact with those guys and find out what kind of guys they have over there and just the pedigree of what they do in their program."

Goins got a taste of it and even was credited with a tackle and pass defended in the Orange and White Game, but the UT coaching staff made clear several times it planned to sit down with the prospective defensive back and be honest about his future on the football field.

Considering the large number of players the Vols have set to arrive in the secondary for fall camp, the degree Goins is on pace to earn this summer, the waiver he would need for an extra year of eligibility and the possible options he could have with his natural sport, the decision to pull the plug was likely a foregone conclusion.

But Goins made the most of the time in a helmet anyway.

"I had a wonderful time with the football team over there, I like how they operate and it was a good experience for me," Goins said. ". . . I had a couple good hits away from the ball, got to beat up a couple of receivers - also got beat up a little bit.

"I caught an interception in one practice, tried to return it and cut up on the inside and got clobbered by two offensive linemen. That really woke me up and introduced me to football."

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolMoment writes:

Goins does a lot of community work and is a good person. We were fortunate to have him wear rhe Orange. Thanks Melvin!!!!

calvolfromkingsport writes:

Good luck Melvin, the weather in San Diego is still great.

VolGrad writes:

Something to tell the kids about later on. Best wishes to him.

GBO!

govols1234567 writes:

It was pretty cool having him on the field. But I guess it makes sense...

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

I'm not surprised but still sad it didn't work out. What a blast it would've been to cheer him on. I'll miss seeing you, Melvin. Thanks for being all Vol!

huntined#565710 writes:

Dang Man you started posting FEB.8TH And all 17 post has been not fit system I bet MRS FINCH don't even FIT THE SYSTEM!!

GerryOP writes:

Melvin, thanks for being a Vol! Go forth and do well...

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

in response to MrFinch:

We are bringing in 7 dbs this year. Kids that didnt take 4 years off. But yeah you knew all along that he wouldnt "fit". lol

stroker writes:

in response to MrFinch:

why did you let him and dooley waste their time?

VolunteerLifer writes:

Mel has a lot of guts for trying. If this were last year when we didn't have enough guys for the secondary, who knows?

cage952 writes:

Oh well. Good luck to him in whatever he does next.

VolsToTheWall writes:

MELGO NOOOOOOOOOOOO

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

Got to respect somebody who can jump into football like that! Thanks Melvin!

orangeinindy writes:

Melvin Goins is a Vol For Life. Love that guy.

VOLliven2it writes:

He gave it a try and why not? Best to Melvin as he moves on in life.

PdxVol writes:

I was hoping he would be the next Nick Reveiz

thetrollhunter writes:

in response to PdxVol:

I was hoping he would be the next Nick Reveiz

i know right? totally would have been the next Nick Reveiz

eprahm (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Something to tell the kids about later on. Best wishes to him.

GBO!

Good post! I agree.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

100% accuracy by a certain poster:

"I have a confession
by DCflorida » Mon Nov 15, 2010
I recall some painful Ron Zook-era games, I even recall yelling at the top of my lungs directly at Jeremy Foley who always makes his way to behind the south goal post late in games (and he heard me because he turned around and looked right at me), to please make some changes.
But this was excruciating! We could round-up 11 dudes from GSMB, put them in an offensive formation, and we could muster up 2 1st downs and 60 yards through 3 quarters. You almost have to try and be that bad. That's like a weak HS offense.
Meyer will fix this, he gets paid to."

But, bad news for a certain poster, lil' Urbie is gone. Couldn't stand the heat, had no big QB to lean on, so he walked ... skipped town, ran away, vamoosed, AMFed.

Little Willie and Big Chuck are not fixers, they can't even identify what's broken. With a couple years of experience, they may get better.

adj writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Muschamp is going to retire before he even coaches ONE year?!

GoVols025 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

From the guy who totally disappeared from the scene during the '10 season, now he's back to his old gig. It's always how great it's gonna be ... until the gatas lose a couple of games, and then he turns on his own. Whatta guy!

"Brantley, one of the worst QBs in the entire nation....
by DCflorida
Lacks leadership, lacks passion, lacks intensity, lacks desire to achieve greatness, lacks lacks lacks. He's a nicer Jeff George, he's Jeff George without the edge and b$#*s."

Yup, that's our very own lil' DCgataguy!

Really, you guys need to hire a head football coach. What in the world was Folly thinkin'?

GVolsG writes: