Report: Peyton Manning has 2nd neck surgery

INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolos Colts star quarterback Peyton Manning had neck surgery Monday in Chicago to repair a disk problem.

It’s the second neck surgery since February 2010 for the former University of Tennessee star.

The previous was to repair a pinched nerve, and this operation was less invasive and less complicated, team owner Jim Irsay said Tuesday at the NFL meetings.

“He had a bulging disk,” Irsay said of the four-time league MVP. “The doctors removed a part of it.

“It’s usually a six-to-eight week recovery period. I think this is one you can bounce back from quickly.”

The surgery was performed at Chicago’s Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Manning was back at home Tuesday.

Even though the NFL has locked out its players, communication between teams and players in these cases is allowed.

Manning has started 227 consecutive games including the playoffs, second only to Brett Favre’s 321.

His contract is up, but there is little chance Irsay will allow the 35-year-old Manning to become a free agent once a labor agreement is reached.

“He has a great chance to play five years,” Irsay said. “He’s such a tough guy, takes care of himself and really, really works hard.

“I feel good about it. This doesn’t affect the way I view (a new contract).”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

kabulvol writes:

Good time to have the surgery with the lockout ongoing.

wigmeister writes:

Wish him the very best recovery.

TKO writes:

I wish he would retire and say healthy. He has nothing else to prove or achieve. Also, Peyton, if you are reading this, you owe me $1,132.17 for all the Colt merchandise I have bought me and my son since you arrived. Either way, money well spent!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Witch Doctor say stay classy.
Bones never lie.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

CoverOrange writes:

Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. And it's the scar tissue that is hard to overcome.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early prediction:

UT 41
Montana Grizzly Bears 16

GreerVol22 writes:

2nd neck? I know Phil had 2 bellies but dang, 2 necks? I'll bet Reebok had a touch time with that jersey design.

Seriously, get well soon PM, you know we love you.

scvols writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

early prediction:

UT 41
Montana Grizzly Bears 16

LOL!!! It is a dull time of year without our softball team being in the NCAA.

BrassMonkey writes:

He will be out passing with the nuns in the parking lot in no time.

TKO writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

early prediction:

UT 41
Montana Grizzly Bears 16

Don't be surprised if this one is closer than most believe. They bring a lot of upper classmen.
I hope you are right. I need to wash that Wyoming game from my mind. GBO!

caliperman writes:

He likes Mecry heatlh so much,he goes to another heath care to have his surgeries.

bamaman1 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

Must have sold one of your knoxville trailer parks

Colliervol writes:

in response to bamaman1:

Must have sold one of your knoxville trailer parks

With all due respect, a Bama fan has no room to ever disparage trailer parks. More per capita there than in any other state. As a matter of fact, I am fairly certain they were invented down there.

bamaman1 writes:

in response to Colliervol:

I read the same article. It said followed closely by tennessee. As a matter of fact, the article said that the east tn area had more trailers per capita than any area in the country. Looks

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

It'll be a sad day for Colts fans here in Indy when Peyton is finally done. I hope the recovery is as easy and the results as positive as they say it will be.

BTW, spell-check didn't catch "Indianapolos"? It's the very first word.