Cuonzo Martin will be with UT contingent at NCAA hearing

Big Orange Tipoff Club welcomes new UT basketball coach Cuonzo Martin

UT basketball coach Cuonzo Martin

Photo by Submitted

UT basketball coach Cuonzo Martin

Tennessee men’s basketball coach Cuonzo Martin knows the Vols have challenges ahead on the court and on the recruiting trail.

He just hopes an NCAA-imposed postseason ban isn’t involved.

“The biggest key with the recruits is what happens with the NCAA,’’ Martin said during his appearance at the Big Orange Tipoff Club luncheon on Friday at Calhoun’s on the River.

“As long as there’s no postseason ban, we’ll be OK and we can weather the storm.’’

Martin said he’ll travel to Indianapolis for UT’s hearing before the NCAA Committee on Infractions the weekend of June 10-11, along with athletic director Mike Hamilton, chancellor Jimmy Cheek and the school’s compliance officials and legal representation.

Based on NCAA case precedent, UT is likely looking at a minimum probation period of two years and the loss of at least one men’s basketball scholarship.

Future recruiting restrictions — such as limited calls, contact windows and official visit opportunities — also are a possibility.

A postseason ban wouldn’t necessarily seem likely, because the only major violation the Vols face that involves current players is related to excess phone calls. At that, the total number of impermissible calls (96) is not on the level with other recent major infractions cases involving Oklahoma, Connecticut, Indiana and California.

Still, it’s worth noting that the NCAA enforcement website states that: “Each case is unique, and applying case precedent is difficult, if not impossible, because all cases are different.’’

UT won’t know what penalties it faces, as determined by the COI, until six to eight weeks after the hearing, according to the website.

That timing of the penalty disclosure doesn’t work in favor of UT basketball because the potential for a postseason ban could be put in play prior to the season tipoff, as opposed to cases like Connecticut’s, where the COI announced penalties during the Huskies’ run to the national championship.

“The intent of the penalties is to ensure they are sufficient enough to deter schools from breaking the rules again,’’ the website states. “Unfortunately, some sanctions — like the ban on postseason competition — are deterrents but also negatively impact innocent student-athletes.

“While unfortunate, NCAA-imposed sanctions are meant to be punitive.’’

UT signed five players in the Class of 2011, bringing the number of scholarship players up to 12, one below the NCAA limit of 13.

As things stand, the Vols have two seniors (Cameron Tatum and Renaldo Woolridge) whose eligibility will be exhausted after the 2011-12 season.

That means UT could have a maximum of three scholarships to offer in the Class of 2012, assuming none of the players with remaining eligibility leave or transfer.

Hamilton said Friday he’s been impressed with the way Martin has handled his business and represented the program since his hiring on March 27.

“I think Cuonzo has been very solid,’’ Hamilton said. “He’s a solid individual with solid character who’s a hard worker.

“He’s assembled a great staff, and he obviously had to fill out the roster in recruiting,’’ he said. “Cuonzo has gone about that very diligently.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

"Be the _irst to post a comment!" He is going so he can know _irst hand what he will be up against with respect to the progam he inherited with baggage.

Outdated writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Very few major college coaches inherit the "baggage" you mention..for that reason all VOL fans need to recognize Martin needs our support to help him get us out of this hole asap..

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say ring the bell, lets get this chicken show going, Witch Doctor tired of all the speculation. Witch Doctor say whatever happen to Bruce should happen to The "vested one".
Bones never lie.

LJS1984 writes:

Good, maybe he can show some intelligence on the part of the UT contingent? Maybe they should take Derek Dooley too? He's probably smarter than everybody put together in the UT Athletic Department.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Absolutely but I wouldn't bet the house on that.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

All I want to know about Cuonzo is whether he can compete at this level. I think he can, but the coming season will show not only how he performs with adversity, but how he perceives himself. Purdue doesn't exactly come to mind as a basketball powerhouse, but in fairness they hit a high water mark when he was there and had success. That's good. How does he do with top flight recruits? Can he go toe to toe with the best programs in the country? Can he go into Chicago and get the best kids there to come to UT? Can he go into Charlotte and get a player? I'm hoping yes, but I didn't hire him. Does he know how to go into Gainesville a 14 point dog and come out with a win? These are the things that occupy my thinking on this. I say he can. He has to....

LJS1984 writes:

I will sathat I think Cuonzo Martin has the opportunity to be a really special coach at Tennessee.

VolMoment writes:

in response to Makeing_The_Call:

You are the biggest POS in the world. Jimmy Cheek is an academic man. And as graduate of UT that is what I want in our Chancellor. Not some sports buff that an idot like you that never graduated from HS wants to be in that job. Hamilton will be there longer than you in your job sweeping floors.

TheVolMan writes:

in response to VolMoment:

VolMoment, you are so wrong. But go ahead and keep venting. Can't wait to think of you unhappy when Martin, Dooley and the next baseball HC turn out to be great hires. lol...

The Hamilton Haters will continue their agenda. They are still bitter that Fulmer was removed and remain in denial that he had to go. But, these are some of my fellow Vols so I have confidence their hate will subside when Coaches Martin and Dooley prove to have been great hires under very difficult constraints.

Praise For Martin Hire: CBS basketball analyst Seth Davis, in a column for SI.com, rated Hamilton's hire of Martin as the "smartest" of the offseason.
"The Tennessee fans who are wailing that Hamilton didn't land a big name are living in an alternate universe,'' Davis writes. "Martin has a proven track record . . . he is a man of high character . . . If Tennessee fans give Martin the support he deserves instead of the derision he doesn't, he will reward them with a winner. "

Great article on CBS Sports as well:

Sorry haters, you are just so lame...

GBO!

manniesghost1903 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

As far as I am concerned Naval Orange has "nailed it!" I also think some time in the future Tennessee fans will learn the infamous cookout was set up by a vindictive former family member. The other "violations" Bruce Pearl committed were not on the level of events we have witnessed at Ohio State and Connecticut.

As I have said previously, the NCAA appears to base investigations on material received from "informants." The apparatus to conduct annual audits on all NCAA members does not exist. For one year, USC will not be permitted to participate in bowl games or be eligible for the "PAC 12" championship. Supposedly, they will lose 30 scholarships over a period of 3 years. I may be wrong but I do not think this punishment will severely damage USC's "earning power" for very long (Be assured the National Sports media is breathing a sigh of relief).

Ohio State poses an interesting problem. I personally believe any punishment dealt to OSU will be tempered as a result of the suspension of the head coach for a few games. Of course the star players who dealt with a suspected drug dealer will be held out for 6 games (A decree made to prevent the Bowl Game TV ratings from being hurt).

By the way, does anyone recall certain members of the Sport Media called for UT to receive the death penalty. Just saying. Does POS stand for NCAA?

stumpyb writes:

May I ask this question?? Is the NCAA even legal??? And could some school or person challenge it's authority?? Where does it get it from?

allvol32 writes:

NCAA = Dean Wormer

volaholic45 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

The problem is that the NCAA's credibility problem is not a problem for the NCAA - just for everyone else. No Damocles' sword hangs over the NCAA, no matter what they do. Sports public outrage? Big whoop. So nothing really can happen until some schools decide together to abandon the NCAA and set up an alternative organization. Not even Harold Camping sees anything like that coming anytime soon.

CFVolunteer writes:

So when does Hamilton get fired? Or maybe he will get a nice bail-out package and go work for an investment firm. He has made poor investments around here.

CFVolunteer writes:

Regarding the NCAA itself, would they be an example of a pious organization or not?

VOLinATL writes:

in response to stumpyb:

It's a voluntary organization, so it's authority comes from it's members. You don't HAVE to be in the NCAA. Now, it might be bit hard to play sports otherwise, but schools can bolt out and form their own organizations any time they wish.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Witch Doctor say sports hypocrisy in the sports media so much fun to watch. Witch Doctor say maybe return of Meyer(?) timing would be about right...
Bones never lie.

NYvolFan writes:

I wonder if Hamilton has talked to Coach Martin since he hired him.

Orange_Scooter writes:

Haw, haw, haw... Mama_Calls_Me_Precious and BodeaneVol. Jesus, you'd think they'd let one day go by without trolling on GoVolsExtra. Trifecta will be getting that CantstandSaban guy here as well. Two Jort q_eers and a Candy lover.

Give_em_six writes:

Hope it is not too bad. I think it will be a long year unless we have someone step up who can score. I am pretty sure our coaching staff can beat our starting five right now. Hopefully they can teach them how to shoot free throws.

VolunteerLifer writes:

If I was on the ncaa infractions committee, I would direct this question to Hamilton: "After first learning that Pearl had committed a major infraction in lying to our investigators, why was it your first impulse to protect Pearl instead of protecting the integrity of your basketball program? And given that - after Pearl's transgressions were known - you stated many times publicly that you still wanted him to be your coach, why should we believe you are fit to exercise institutional control over this program in the future?"

If I were Hamilton, I would try to be prepared to answer those questions on JUne 10 & 11.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to allvol32:

NCAA = Dean Wormer

Maybe we end up with double secret probation,,Please sir may I have another

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Iam more worried about scholarship losses than post season bans..Martin signed 5 players.I'll try to leave their ability evaluation up to the coaching staff and Martin but with most really good talent long committed to other schools;it appeared that we were signing players that were leftovers..We needed the 2 so called "bigs" but the guards signed I don't think would have been at the top of Martin's list if Martin was in his 2nd year at UT

VolFanNC writes:

in response to TheVolMan:

Great article on CBS Sports as well:

Sorry haters, you are just so lame...

GBO!

Interesting take, I am not a Fulmer fan and I though BP had to go, but I also think Hamilton needs to go. He has been good at upgrading facilities, but all major men's sports have gone downhill during his time. Either in wins or NCAA problems.

He is paying 3 coaches not to work and he hired two of them. He didnt inherit these problems either. He created them.

BP, Kiffin and Raliegh were all Hamilotn hires. They way he handled the Fulmer firing and BP ones were a disaster. Especially giving Fulmer an extension a year prior then letting him go mid season. The BP firing, he could have done it at the beginning of the season or kept his mouth shut til the end of the tourney. Then you have Raliegh who should have been fired mid season and he stays silent until the end of the season.

Anyway, he has lost 90% of the fan base and donors. He may be good at some things, but running a sports program isn't one of them. Time for him to step aside.

BigBadVol writes:

Coach Martin will be very successful at TN. We will be lucky to hang on to him in a few years. VFL!

hueypilot writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

I still am heartened by his showing at TBA last year losing to the Vols by 4 and out stat-ing the Vols in every category except the Vols go to the line many more times. That tells me he can take a mid major team and compete. I think with the Vols facilities and SEC status he'll do fine. We will see.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

Why in the wide world of sports would martin care about postseason ban....he aint going to have to worry about that cause he aint a good enough coach to get us there

ChrisUTvol writes:

in response to allvol32:

NCAA = Dean Wormer

Ha Ha Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

born2ride writes:

Wow! Martin beat out North Dakota, St. Louis and North Texas for our new recruits. A NCAA tourney ban means nothing. The Vols are going nowhere under Martin.

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

My questions as well. So far I have been disappointed with his recruiting. I loved Bruce Pearl and the life he brought to the Basketball Program. Bruce also was very involved in the community (Still is) and in my opinion became a true VFL. Coach Martin has a very tough act to follow. I hope he is very successful but I just don't know.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Coach Martin appears focused on what he can do instead of what he can't do, with the can do having a huge upside. It's the story of his life, so I think we'll see that in his career with Tennessee.

dyerbey#281598 writes:

I don't know Hamilton personally. I don't consider myself a hater. I am a vol fan, however, if you step back and take a look from the outside in. It was Hamilton who hired the coach that destroyed our baseball team. It was Hamilton who hired Kiffy and if you recall the basketball team was not under investigation. The basketball team got caught during the investigation of Kiffy. It was Hamilton who hired Pearl. While I support Cuonzo the basketball investigation will set the program back years. The common denominator for all 3 is Hamilton. I predict he will be fired immediatly after the NCAA rules on the Basketball team. Again, I am not a hater, just a realist. Call me names if you like but lets see how the cards fall. I bet I will be correct.

manniesghost1903 writes:

in response to born2ride:

In the basketball recruiting game, you really never know about lesser known high school seniors and how they will play at the college level until the season starts. I remember an early meeting between MTSU and Vanderbilt at the infamous Jesse James Memorial Gym. During the first half Vandy's sainted Charles Davis ran wild. In the second half MTSU had a little known freshman forward from the State of Alabama whose last name was Colemean guard Davis and shut him down. Vandy's double digit lead at halftime shrunk to a two point win. Those on the "other side" know that I was and am a stauch supporter of Bruce Pearl, (an Ernie Grumfeld suggestion for head coach by the way). However, I am willing to give Coach Martin a chance to be successful.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Makeing_The_Call:

If you had one inkling of the type of man that Mike Hamilton is, you would be pretty embarrassed at what you wrote. As it is, it is obvious that you have no clue about a lot of things in his personal life or his business life so we'll just consider your rant worthless and move on. No reason to waste a lot of time on ignorance.

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

First of all... TRIFECTA!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! Second, I so humbly apologize for saying that nasty word. I shall use the words "Tinker Bells" in its place (happy now?). Lastly, typical Black and Gold Candy fan, spews trash as a troll on a UT news site message board, yet expects nothing but adulation in return. The only thing I'll ever call Cuonzo Martin is "coach". I reserve all profanities and insults for you and other commode fans. Hey, clap if you believe in Vandy....

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to VolFanNC:

I could care less whether Hamilton goes or stays. But you have to understand: The firing of Fulmer and Pearl were not of his doing. He was informed what to do and when to do it. I think you will discover that our Governor's father had a bit to do with especially the Fulmer deal. He kept Fulmer 5 years too long anyway