5 Big Things against Middle Tennessee State

Derek Dooley talks about seeing improvement following 4 straight losses

1. Give Him Six: By him, we mean anybody wearing orange. It's been 10 quarters and 21 days since Tauren Poole visited the end zone against LSU. If you want to up the ante and say "Give 'Em 12," it's been 35 days since the Vols scored two touchdowns in a game.

2. Spread 'Em: MTSU's spread offense should not be taken lightly. The Blue Raiders rank 22nd nationally in total offense at 462 yards a game. It's not one dimensional either. MTSU averages 173 a game rushing, which is 90 more than the Vols do. Middle led at Purdue for 59 minutes and lost to both Troy and Western Kentucky by three points.

3. Second Chances: Brent Brewer's season-ending injury necessitates a shuffle in the secondary. Prentiss Waggner is better at corner but moves back to safety. Waggner's corner vacancy will be filled by a pair of former starters who had lost their jobs, Marsalis Teague and Justin Coleman. Redemption awaits.

4. Give Him Six, Too: If a Blue Raider scores a touchdown tonight he will be the first to ever do so against Tennessee. The Vols won the only prior meeting between the state's two largest schools, 26-3, in 2002.

5. Not Just For Kicks: An offense needing a booster shot might turn to, of all places, special teams. Punter Matt Darr leads the team with a 30.0 yard-per-carry average. The other punter, Michael Palardy, is a 100-percent passer (well, 1-for-1). Hey, both moved the chains.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UTKin1992 writes:

Is everyone ready for the big game!?

No, not UA-LSU silly! I mean UT-MTSU!

No? Apparently no one else is either. I appear to be the only moron posting on this article...

HowboutdemVOLS writes:

I mean really who cares!

UTKin1992 writes:

Here are my 5 big things:

1. Lock Dooley in a closet before kickoff.
2. Send Chaney on a doughnut run. To North Dakota.
3. Make the offense personally serve the 5K fans in attendance at halftime.
4. Charge $10 extra to sit in any seat in the stadium.
5. Charge $20 extra to call a play. You get a refund if you get a 1st down.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

What was all this talk about Byron Moore starting on a different article?We need Prentiss at corner. We were getting torched deep by everyone when he was at safety and Teague at corner anyway. I would put Eric Gordon at corner before Teague.

givehim6 writes:

in response to HowboutdemVOLS:

I mean really who cares!

I care! Now UT is not facing a top 25 team, UT might just luck up and get a win. There may be a few of us hard core UT fans leftout there. Speak up if you care, GO VOLS!

dk writes:

in response to givehim6:

I care too. The young kids on this football team need to win 3 more games and get bowl eligible in order to get the extra practice in December that comes with a bowl invitation. It may be hard to do, but not impossible.

I thought before the year began, that the team would be 7-5 or 6-6 at worse, but that was before they lost Lathers and Jackson (pre-season), then Hunter, Bray and now Moore for the season. Tough to win when your best play makers aren't able to contribute.

To all the morons who think that they know better, give all Vol fans a break and go vent someplace else. You know nothing about football.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to givehim6:

You could say UT is not playing a Top 64 ranked team as thats the highest ranked team(Cinn) that Dooley has beaten at UT..Top 25,forgetaboutit

VolGrad writes:

Malik will bring his Paul Prudhomme's seasoning to this game as he'll be serving up some Blackened Blue Raider specials.

Go Vols! Beat the Blue Raiders!!!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

I care, also!...And I'm quite sure we are not alone! I have already searched forward on my DirecTV program guide to see if it was going to be televised, and it IS, so I set the program manager even though Bama and LSU will be on at 8pm! Looking forward to see what Worley can do now that his first game jitters are out of the way! Go VOLS!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Is everyone ready for the big game!?

No, not UA-LSU silly! I mean UT-MTSU!

To be a UT alum and claim to be a Vol fan, it's comments like this where I doubt that..So everyone that posts on this article is a moron??Wow, what the heck made you so bitter??

Smokey says it was your choice to read the article and you could have easily passed it up...

jobrando#216494 writes:

Coach Dooley,,,,fire Chaney now....you cant have him next year

FrostyVol writes:

in response to HowboutdemVOLS:

I mean really who cares!

i care. always have and always will. I dont care who we are playing or what their record is - if the Vols are playing, I'm watching or listening. I love the orange and white for reasons that you cant or wont ever understand.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to givehim6:

I also am going to the game. Sorry fickle fans some people don't run after one month of bad football. Winning 3 of the last 4 is bigger than just going to a bowl game. The extra practice, the recruiting, the playing time, momentum. It goes on and on.

VolGrad writes:

To ignore or disregard the facts that this team is extremely young and getting younger with the injuries we've suffered AND that those injuries have been to some of our key production guys as if it has no bearing on how well we should be performing on the field is, in a word, "naive" at best.

Go Vols!

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

If you're too ignorant to get my self deprecating humor then perhaps you are indeed a moron.

Also, stop talking to dogs. It's a little creepy.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Also, stop talking to dogs. It's a little creepy.

You just always seem to have "whatever you call it" and never have anything positive to say..Also, I guess it's easier to call people names behind a keyboard instead of to their faces..Not offended, I just consider the source.

Smokey says that you're the one that's creepy..

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Coach Dooley,,,,fire Chaney now....you cant have him next year

Your sentiments are understandable because I have been unhappy with Chaney since last year...IMO, his play-calling near the end of the game cost us the LSU game last year because instead of running on 2nd and 3rd down, he was passing on those downs.

The only reason that he had success this year was because of Bray and Hunter..Having two playmakers like them makes a huge difference on an offense running smoothly.

Smokey says you should see a difference when Bray returns and especially next year when Hunter is back...

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Smokey says that you're the one that's creepy..

Prowlin and fellow Vols,

I'm in your corner Smokey. What we have here are so called Vol fans, along with the usual trolls who together are pretty big whiners and big talkers.

No disrespect to the legitimate Vol fans however. There are those who have a miserable life, expecting a 12-0 team with a bare cupboard.

No Smokey, people like this one aren't going anywhere. Makes them feel good to be a naysayer and whiner...........so they can always say "I told you so," and spend all day researching old records with former coaches.

When the Vols return to what we know will occur, people like this one will be very rare, very silent......and that will be a great time for us.

Smokey, some of us ARE going to the game, and this Vol supporter will be there even if I am the only one there. Over the years, I've seen a lot of the anti-Vol grads, always griping and hoping we lose...............and I just brush them aside.

GBO

iowavol writes:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Worley can do. This is the game to bring in a true freshman, not the last one. Our offense gets healthy on Middle. Our defense gets some looks at some other players - hopefully Teague can figure out how to guard someone. Should be a good game for Tennessee to get back on track. The last five have been tough.

movol53 writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

OK so what channel is it on on DirecTV?
I'm in Missouri.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to givehim6:

I care. Won't be in Knoxville tomorrow, but was there last weekend and will be in Fayettville next weekend. Go Vols!

RoadTrip writes:

Gave my tickets away. Would not even watch it on TV during the Bama/LSU commercials except I want to see if Worley improves and if Malik dismantles the QB for MTSU. That's about all that is left from a UT excitement standoint.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Here are my 5 big things:

1. Lock Dooley in a closet before kickoff.
2. Send Chaney on a doughnut run. To North Dakota.
3. Make the offense personally serve the 5K fans in attendance at halftime.
4. Charge $10 extra to sit in any seat in the stadium.
5. Charge $20 extra to call a play. You get a refund if you get a 1st down.

"my 5 big things"...

One obvious "thing" is absent from your list of "my 5 big things"...

...and we all appreciate your honesty.

allvols4life writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I thought Cincinnati is a ranked team. I thought the only loss they have is to the Vols. Now, I understand that the Big East is definitely no SEC, but to only have one loss thus far and it be to us, thats pretty good, IMO.

And to think I agreed with you on another topic and sport.

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to HowboutdemVOLS:

I mean really who cares!

I'm a 1992 grad, so I care. I was also a trainer on the FB team. You are either a UT fan or you are not. If your team choice is based on wins and losses then just go to your local mall and buy a shirt of the team ranked first in the polls.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Please get a turnstile count, KNS!

volaholic45 writes:

1. Run for more than 3 yards a carry. If the first run is for more than three yards, no more running plays. If not, as soon as the average reaches more than three, quit running.
2. Prevent defense, the whole game.
3. Kick field goals on any down and distance whenever we get inside the 15 yard line.
4. Stick with the orange pants - they are good luck.
5. Make sure it really is November, and that DST doesn't mess it up somehow.

If we do those 5 big things, sweet November is off and running!

volaholic45 writes:

6. QB sneak 'em to death. ORANGE PRIDE!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

The problem is what it is....no running attack to fall back on when your passing attack breaks. He has no idea how to manage a running attack. He came from the west coast. Want work in the SEC.

Vols7Twins writes:

in response to movol53:

OK so what channel is it on on DirecTV?
I'm in Missouri.

648

Gmoney58 writes:

We cant score enough points 2 beat ARK...VAN...KY....4-7. Very sad indeed.

wallingdad writes:

in response to Vols7Twins:

648

yeah i am going to watch it too. for some reason fox sports net is showing the game. great, i'll bite..

givehim6 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Say what you will, turn my words as you will fact is the teams UT lost to were in the top 25 UF was at the time they beat us, That was what I said. Those of us that care about UT football are tired of the trolls and posers that show up on GOVOLSRXTRA and bad mouth our team, our coaches and things of the Vol nation. Bama would have a hard time rebulding if they had three years of decay also, then CDD had things turned then the in injury bug attacked. I know you posers care that is why you still keep comeing back. In side you want to see UT come back.

smyrnavol1 writes:

i long for the days when i could afford season tickets, and tailgate, party, talk to true Vol fans. go to the game. cheer on the Vols with said fellow fans, win or loose. now i can't even come to this site without dealing with florida state type bandwagon fans. witchy D is always fun, TJ is short and sweet(i like), prowlin is refreshing(smokey knows what is up), but this site is full of very bad non UT wanna be know it all's. no fun anymore!

CA_vol writes:

I am an old Vol from the 60's and I still support the team. Dooley is going to be a winner. We need some better recruits with speed and we will get them. With a healthy team we probably beat S. Carolina, and maybe GA. NOBODY is doing well against Bama and LSU.

GBO

1986sugarbowl writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I agree with this 100%. Prentiss playing corner was about the only bright spot in the SC game. He should have scored though. I would keep Wagner at corner, all for Gordon at corner and someone else at the safety position. I think November could get ugly.

STLVOLS writes:

Vols have nine (9) football 4 star commitments for 2012. Check it out names, etc for all in Rivals.com, the top recruiting website. At this time, Vols ranked by Rivals.com # 13 in 2012 verbal commitment recruiting.

Check it out!!

Prostar writes:

What STLVOLS writes is true. We're only a few hundredths of a point behind Alabama in the rankings also.

Bubba_Knows writes:

VOL CALLS: If the Vols beat MTSU, do you think they have a shot at the National Championship? I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to volheart67:

I CARE!!!

STLVOLS writes:

With Vols looking good for 2012 recruiting, the depth and more immediate impact players will be around next year. I am not saying all of the nine verbal 4 four star will sign, but recruiting commitments are looking good. UT currently ranked # 13 in country in verbal commitments based on quality.

Again, do not take my word for it. See Rivals.com team rankings football recruiting for 2012. Prostar saw what I saw. You can even check out details on each commitment.

In reality, due to youth, lack of depth, etc, etc. this is a lost season. Deal with it and look forward to next year.

Also, last I looked, Vandy is playing Gators really tough.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to Vols7Twins:

648

I am in St. Peters in St. Charles County, STL metro.

Where in MO are you.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to STLVOLS:

Also, last I looked, Vandy is playing Gators really tough.

Vandy got robbed in that game. There was an OBVIOUS pushoff that would have given them a first down likely leading to a score to put them ahead. Their coach is ticked and he should be! Home cooking in the SWAMP again.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to Gmoney58:

We cant score enough points 2 beat ARK...VAN...KY....4-7. Very sad indeed.

I think we beat KY,...but unfortunately we will lose to ARK and Vandy. Five wins this year, that's it! Wow...can't believe I'm saying that. Injuries have just killed any chance we might have had for a bowl.

Let's hope things get better for us next year.