Dooley on Bray: 'Right now he's not capable of doing much'

The cast was replaced by a brace on Tyler Bray’s right hand.

Then, at least temporarily, the Tennessee quarterback got rid of that, too.

Bray still appeared unable to grip a football on Tuesday morning, let alone throw one even after peeling off the softer protection for his broken thumb a day after the harder version was removed. And while the sophomore isn't ready to put on pads or play against No. 8 Arkansas on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 6 p.m.). his recovery seems to be proceeding as planned.

"He doesn't have his range of motion, and it's about what we thought it would be," Vols coach Derek Dooley said. "So, he's right on track -- sore, and he's got to get his range of motion back, get his strength back.

"That's what he's working on. Lot of rehab."

It included some time on the exercise bike during the open portion of practice, but it didn't feature any passes from Bray -- at least not right-handed.

That comes as no surprise to the Vols (4-5, 0-5 SEC), who were already expecting Justin Worley to get a third consecutive start under center as the program looks for a road win over the Razorbacks (8-1, 4-1) in the push for a bowl bid.

But if Bray's first appearance with the cast off didn't do anything to change his status for this week, it also didn't do much to clear up when he might be cleared for a return.

"I think he can do whatever he's capable of doing," Dooley said. "Right now, he's not capable of doing much.

"I don't think (him wanting to rush back for a game) is as much the issue as just getting him out there where we could put him at risk. That's the biggest concern."

For more on UT's preparations for Arkansas and the morning practice, check back to http://www.govolsxtra.com, pick up Wednesday's News Sentinel or follow@Vols_Beat on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BustaRhymes writes:

Was that Bray commenting on Dooley or Dooley commenting on Bray?

We need a real coach at the helm - and I know several will scream at this suggestion - but we need to bring Coach Philip Fulmer back. Coach Fulmer is the only one out there that can possibly save what has become a Fukushima style meltdown in Knoxville.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

I hope that Worley keeps getting better and better each week. I am worried that we wont see Bray until Vandy.

volsn3 writes:

YOUR %^$#@!^& NUTS

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

What is with the whiners?????????

Buster, for crying out loud, will you whiners ever quit?

Like a baby in the pen whining and crying for the bottle. Fulmer will never be back here to feed you whiners.

Get on the band wagon for another school.

TommyJack writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

Busta, you need an intervention.

givehim6 writes:

In '99 I broke two fingers in my right hand, and I am right handed took me at least a month to were my hand wrighting looked legible. I would say it will be Worley under center as starter the rest of the regular season.

woodwr#217203 writes:

It worked at K-state!

Who-da thunk it!

Kansas State had almost no one still expecting anything and Bill Schneider is how old?

volinlouisiana writes:

Hey you big bunch of babies, name one college team that has never had to go through a rebuilding period? I bet you can't. We're in one, and I got news for you. You have to give the coach more than 2 years. Bunch of dumba__e$

Volunatic writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

Yes. Absolutely. In fact, we need to offer a huge raise over what he had been earning, because otherwise he will just take a job at one of those other dozen or so major CFB programs that have given him standing offers. I just hope we can outbid Texas, UCLA, Notre Dame, florida, bama, SoCal, LSU, etc, or else those guys will get him. We should pay him twice what Saban is getting, at least, with a buyout of $ 25 million or so.

givehim6 writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

Yes it is all clear to me now, Fulmor is the one that got UT started on the slide down so let's put our trust on him to get us out and on top of that he has had no coaching experience in what three years now. And people call Dooley clueless.

Volunatic writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Busta, you need an intervention.

If Fulmer was the coach, Tyler's hand would have healed within an hour or so.

Volunatic writes:

in response to woodwr#217203:

It worked at K-state!

Who-da thunk it!

Snyder retired at K-State. He wasn't fired because his program was in a state of persistent decline.

KINGKONG writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

No other school trusted Fulmer with their football program.That is why he is not coaching college football.Fulmer had more talent than Dooley when came down to recriuting we still had loosing seasons with no bowl games under the fat boy era.Im talking to all you Phillip Fulmer supporters COME ON MAAAAN!!!!!!!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to givehim6:

Fulmer showed us a couple of successful plays from the single-wing in his last game at UT, proving he is still cutting-edge.

madmaxvol writes:

in response to Abdul_Wauhatchie_Tiftonia_Rahman_of_Orange:

New record. You've posted 46 times on this site in the last 7 days, and 40 of them were bashing Dooley. "Dooleve" and "Doolittle" jokes have worn thin. You have posted enough with a single theme that you have lost any crediblitiy as an unbiased poster.

KINGKONG writes:

in response to givehim6:

Yes its clear to me you no nothing about Phill Fulmer because you cant spell his name lol.

UTQB70 writes:

in response to volheart67:

67,

i agree. Doug Matthews made an interesting comment on his radio show a couple of weeks ago. Being a host of his own show, he said a majority of radio callers and people who post on message boards don't have a clue. They are agitators who didn't even play high school football.

Willis writes:

why is the line "off" in Vegas? Anyone know????

OrangeCounsel writes:

in response to KINGKONG:

5 errors in a spelling-correction comment? Please tell me the internet ate your sarcasm.

givehim6 writes:

in response to Abdul_Wauhatchie_Tiftonia_Rahman_of_Orange:

Yes this season is totally CDD's fault he is the on that hurt Hunters knee, broke Bray's thumb. CDD kicked JJ off the team back in july without warning, and Lathers ankles. I know it is all a conspiracy theory but we all know somehow he has been behind it, he is really working undercover for UGA. Were do some of you get this stuf saying one man is to blame for all o UT's problems? Is he the RB coach also? I know he is blamed for this also. If it is Brays fault UT has no running game it should haved gotten better while he has been out Right?

RemembertheAlamo writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

over 10 years without a SEC Championship...that is what you want? Wow I would be shooting higher than that.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Ga State in has never gone through a rebuilding period, they are still in their Building Period. This is only their 2nd year to have football.

bigorangetrain writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

You have to be joking.... Or your delusional.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

I cannot wait until we pull out of this nosedive, and we will, then all you whinners we be gone. I am looking forward to that about as much as seeing us back on top. It is Great to be a Tennessee Vol....Go Vols

NeylandWest writes:

in response to givehim6:

People just don't get it. I broke my thumb several times playing catcher and eventually had to get it fixed. It's an ordeal to say the least.

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to volheart67:

All you negative nans and downright hateful bullies take a look at what Volheart has to say. I know you cry when anybody calls you out saying "I have a right to be negative...or I'm just being realistic...or look at Gene Chizk and Nick Saban...they did it in two years...blah, blah, blah."

Look either you're a Vol...or you're not...plain and simple! Either root for the Vols and give a 3rd head coach in three years with 67 scholarship players last year after PF and LK left the cuboard bare who is having to deal with injuries to his best players and still maintain a positive attitude while trying to coach coach a chance...or go on pull your any red of your choice college jersey out of your drawer and put it on!

bye!

givehim6 writes:

in response to KINGKONG:

Yes you got me buddy I know nothing about football or Phil because I did not spell his last name correctly. Is that like saying I know nothing about auto repair because my 5/8's wrench is missing? I have addmitted on here I can not spell this is why I have a spell checker only bad thing is it doesn't work on names. That is why the Air Force put me in water perfection noting to do with spelling. By the way on the 11th Thank a Vet.

givehim6 writes:

in response to OrangeCounsel:

HAHAHA, don't care who you are that's funny.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Abdul_Wauhatchie_Tiftonia_Rahman_of_Orange:

You keep showing how little you know football..many folks have told you our depth has more holes than a lb. of Swiss cheese and your head...why don't YOU leave?

Volunatic writes:

in response to KINGKONG:

It is clear to me that you can't spell "know" or "Phil".

Volunatic writes:

in response to givehim6:

Thanks for your service, sir!

Volunatic writes:

in response to givehim6:

HAHAHA, don't care who you are that's funny.

KingKong's elementary school teachers aren't laughing.

allvol8 writes:

in response to givehim6:

Thank you for your service..happy Veteran's Day!

chuckfromwoodbury writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

Hopefully Coach Majors will answer your call for help.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to givehim6:

Would appear you are still having issues cause your hand "wrighting" is still kinda rough

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to CroatianVol:

Good question. Some people seem to think big name coaches are beating the door down to coach our team. Last time it seemed like nobody wanted the job. I think we need to give Coach Dooley at least one more year, preferably two. If he doesn't get us to 9 or more win seasons, then look for a new coach, but who. Urpie Meyer, Gary Patterson, Boise State guy, the Univ of Houston coach, Mike Gundy. These are some names. How many of them would want the job?

mountainbrook writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

Fulmer was the one who let TN fall so far to begin with. Have you already forgotten his two losing seasons in his final three years? Have you already forgotten the "Clawfense" he allowed to be installed? Have you forgotten that he recruited Nick Stephens and Jonathan Crompton as his QBs?

MemphisHog writes:

in response to cooper65#432178:

Uh, I hear there's a fellow in Oxford who is currently updating his resume and wants to interview soon. He'd be a real catch for the big orange!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Just about a year to early to be discussing coaching changes. I do hope CDD either fires Chaney or goes to an all pass team and forgets the run.

Theo writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

Yes, please come back. We want to get beat by Wyoming again.

shulessjo writes:

Sorry that we ran you off coach - please oh please come back!

sad...but go grill a burger with your friend...I will never doubt PF's true orange color and devotion to the Big Orange...but get real.....he left us in a TOTAL mess. Look at the facts.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to MemphisHog:

are kidding, Houston Nutt, what did he do in Oxford? Exactly, nothing! We have had our fill of nothings in Knoxville!

Theo writes:

in response to KINGKONG:

I would lay off goading others about their spelling if I were you.

Theo writes:

in response to givehim6:

Thanks for reminding us - An early thanks to yourself and all other veterans who frequent this board. You make us all proud (unless you are a troll) and we appreciate all your sacrifice.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Off topic, but does anyone know who the latest committment for the 2012 class is?? He just announced but can't find the info anywhere.

Smokey says thanks..

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Smokey says thanks..

3 star cb out of FL

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

3 star cb out of FL

Thanks, just found it!

Key schools are Texas Tech and Nebraska.

Smokey says sounds good to him..

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to thicknthinvol:

If Bray were playing for Penn State, God only knows what rehab they would have him doing. LOL

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

I would think some parents will want their kids decomitting because this is going to grow off the scale. We had offers to several on their list.

tree_em_smokey writes: