Cuonzo Martin trusts his eyes on recruits; Derek Reese, D'Montre Edwards sign

Reese, Edwards sign with Vols

Coach Martin on the Vols' exhibition games

Cuonzo Martin doesn't find basketball players on recruiting lists nor Internet sites.

Tennessee's men's basketball coach finds them in gyms.

"I trust my eyes more than I trust what someone writes that might not have ever even seen them play,'' Martin said. "I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for.''

So the first day of the early signing period on Wednesday wasn't as much about star-gazing for the Vols as it was about signing two prospects Martin believes will fit into his vision for the program.

The Vols' Class of 2012 signees (to date) are Derek Reese, a 6-foot-7½, 205-pound wing from Olympia High School in Orlando, Fla., and D'Montre Edwards, a 6-6, 210-pound wing from Brevard Community College in Cocoa, Fla.

Reese, rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, averaged 13 points and eight rebounds last season playing in Florida's largest high school classification on a team that reached The Sunshine State's Sweet 16.

Edwards, originally from Charleston, S.C., was named the player of the week by Florida's community college association on Tuesday after averaging 16.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists while shooting 52 percent (13-of-25) from the floor in a pair of wins.

"I think, with Reese and (Edwards) in this early period, we get some skill on the perimeter, guys that can make shots and make plays off the dribble,'' Martin said. "When you got guys that can do multiple things on the perimeter, it opens things up for your offense. In a ball-screen offense, you have to have guys that can make individual plays.''

Martin said there are only a select few players in the nation that could be successful playing in any program, in any system.

"Don't get me wrong, there are 15 or 20 guys out there that could play with one shoe on and one shoe off,'' he said, "but after that, it's a matter of finding what you need for your program.''

And it's a matter of the recruits liking what they see and hear from Martin, who will begin his first season as the Vols' head coach at 7 p.m. Friday at Thompson-Boling Arena against UNC Greensboro.

Edwards, who has literally grown into a major college prospect by sprouting up two inches over the past couple of years, learned about Martin by watching a short documentary online.

"I watched something on YouTube about Coach, and I saw everything he had been through in his life,'' said Edwards, who chose the Vols over DePaul, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Alabama-Birmingham. "He's a former player, so he knows what we need as players and what we're dealing with, and he cares about you off the court, so he'll make me a better man.''

Edwards is being brought in as a scorer; he can shoot the 3-pointer as well as hit the mid-range jumper and drive to the basket.

Reese attracted Martin with his length and athleticism, in addition to his work ethic and defensive tenacity.

Reese, who's not ranked among the Rivals.com 150 yet, said it fires him up when he sees the names of players listed above him.

"Some of the players that are in the top 10, I've played against, and I've played well against them,'' said Reese, who played his AAU basketball with the Florida Rams. "In some cases, I played better than they did. I'm not going to name any names, but some of them, I played better than they did guarding them.

"But that's fine, I like being the underdog, I'll have a chance to show what I can do.''

Other schools recruiting Reese included Central Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tulane and Virginia Tech.

Reese said he likes Martin's basketball philosophy and discipline.

"When I was talking to Coach, it was my gut feeling that I needed to go there because of the things he believes in,'' Reese said. "It's toughness and defense. You have to play defense, and you always have to be tough. I wasn't really thinking about early playing time. I just felt it was the right school.

"I do want to play early, but I know have to earn that, so that wasn't really a factor in my decision.''

UT is still hunting big men in the signing class. Two of the interior players they are known to be actively recruiting, Jarnell Stokes of Memphis and Landen Lucas from Portland, Ore., have the Vols on their short lists.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

You reckon Coach Raleigh needed a few more years too?

mountainbrook writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

You reckon Coach Raleigh needed a few more years too?

Fulmer certainly didn't need any more years. He already had the program at rock bottom.

FrostyVol writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

You reckon Coach Raleigh needed a few more years too?

you're right. let's fire Cuonzo now. I mean, the guy has had two exhibition games. Clearly he's a failure. Doofus.

born2ride writes:

I don't see Derek Reese ranked in Rivals Top 150?

volfanmatt writes:

I am in full support of Coach Martin. I liked and was a fan of The Bruce but man did he leave the team in a terrible situation. I beleive we true fans have to give Coach Martin the time he needs to right the ship. I never have alot of extra funds to attend games but do go when I am able and I remember attending a Wade the Fade game and cheering untill I lost my voice. So lets get behind this new coach and give him our support. I never have understood the really negative posters. If you hate Tennessee soooo much why do you bother to follow it and just find another team. I know I would be happier without some of you jerk posters.

jjsteel writes:

spewage

RBC1950 writes:

If you just ignore the idiots on this site they will leave as long as they get a peep out of you it is fuel. GO BIG ORANGE WITH ALL SPORTS SUPPORT THOSE IN CHARGE

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to volfanmatt:

Pearl left a roster of 4 star talent and you think Martin needs time to "rebuild." This is not a 50-50 team like football. These guys have been to the big dance and have talent.

I hope this team does well. It has the basics to do well. But Martin is not in Dooley's position where you should think he needs 4-6 years to fail.

We should expect a trip to the dance. We are "Golden."

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

So far all I see is less stars and more "development" players. I sort of like to see the developed players coming here to play as Vols.

alraguc#466367 writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

We should expect a trip to the dance. We are "Golden."

The only reason some of the current roster made it to the "dance", as you say, was because of players who started ahead of them. Most of the current roster were backup players back then. Don't expect too much right out of the gate. This team still needs to develop its identity. I do like the commitment coach Martin has made to defense, which was lacking during the Pearl years. When shots aren't falling, your defense keeps you in games. High flying offenses are fun to watch, but defense wins tournaments and championships. Go Vols!

westknoxrepub writes:

Reese other offers with last years records:
Florida Gulf Coast 10-20 (7-13)

Georgia Southern 5-27 (1-17)

Jacksonville 20-12 (13-7)-CBI Appearance

James Madison 21-12 (10-8)-CBI Appearance

Murray State 23-9 (14-4)-NIT Appearance

North Florida 15-19 (10-10)

Rider 23-11 (13-5) CBI Appearance

Central Florida 21-12 (6-10) CBI Appearance

Youngstown State 9-21 (2-16)

D'Montre Edwards:
DePaul 7-24 (1-17)

College of Charleston 26-11 (14-4)

Georgia State 12-19 (6-12)

Texas A&M 24-9 (10-6)-NCAA Appearance
-Note: Offer was from 1st year head coach Billy Kennedy, not Mark Turgeon

If this does not concern you, then you do not know much about basketball. We cannot compete in the SEC with this calibur of recruit. We're coming off our sixth NCAA tournament appearance in a row. . .we should be able to recruit better players. We should be competing with better teams for players, and we're not. This isnt' Pearl's fault, this is Martin's class. If his recruiting does not improve, he will have done more damage to the program than Pearl did.

Ironcity writes:

in response to born2ride:

I don't see Derek Reese ranked in Rivals Top 150?

I don't care.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

How many years does he get? He's already botched two recruiting classes, we're not going to be good this year and we'll be worse next year. We're competing with scrub teams for scrub players.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

in response to born2ride:

I don't see Derek Reese ranked in Rivals Top 150?

That's why he signed with utk.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

That's why he signed with utk.

You two poster children are two peas in a pod with an attitude of sour grapes win now or else mentality....that fast food thought process of no patience works real good in marriages to....NOT! Patience is a virtue.....

Ironcity writes:

in response to alraguc#466367:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying however I disagree about Pearls teams defense. UT played very good defense and it was reflected in the numbers and the shooting percentages of the teams they played. Our problem in recent years came from the offensive side of the ball and in particular the half court. We had no shooters and no ball handlers. That was a recipe for disaster and it showed.

We were losing games 60-58 Where the other team shoots 35%. We had no one that could get the ball to a shooter in the right spot. I have said time and again the PG play was the worst I had ever seen at UT and that includes a lot of bad teams. Pearl should have dumped Goins early but he love the kids intensity, but without wings who could pass or dribble the ball he was a total liability for this team.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to voloffaith:

We've been winning for the past six years. Why is the drop off in talent so stark? It's not Pearl's fault Martin can't recruit top players to a school that's been to the NCAA tournament six years in a row. I'm not going to have patience with a man who inherited a really good situation and isn't doing anything with it.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

If you think Martin's going to compete in the SEC with the calibur of players he's signed in his first two classes, then you don't know anything about basketball. Kentucky, Florida, Vanderbitl and Alabama are all out recruiting us. We've got Texas A&M and Missouri coming into the SEC next year, and it looks like our talent level is going to be lower next year than it is this year. It is not looking like bright days ahead for Tennessee Basketball.

hueypilot writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

I'm not sure that's fair. With all the uncertainty of a coaching change Martin had to begin recruiting at ground zero. How many McDonald AA's did Bruce get? Two? Hopson and Harris? and not sure about Hopson Let's give him a shot to see what he can do. We got Bruce as an up and comer from a mid-major. Same deal here. Difference is that he goes against some better coaches now. Kennedy, Calipari, but let's see what his team does on the floor before we dog cuss him.

Pompey writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Reese other offers with last years records:
Florida Gulf Coast 10-20 (7-13)

Georgia Southern 5-27 (1-17)

Jacksonville 20-12 (13-7)-CBI Appearance

James Madison 21-12 (10-8)-CBI Appearance

Murray State 23-9 (14-4)-NIT Appearance

North Florida 15-19 (10-10)

Rider 23-11 (13-5) CBI Appearance

Central Florida 21-12 (6-10) CBI Appearance

Youngstown State 9-21 (2-16)

D'Montre Edwards:
DePaul 7-24 (1-17)

College of Charleston 26-11 (14-4)

Georgia State 12-19 (6-12)

Texas A&M 24-9 (10-6)-NCAA Appearance
-Note: Offer was from 1st year head coach Billy Kennedy, not Mark Turgeon

....with the negative national publicity UT has received, the damage Pearl left behind, and the penalties, it is a wonder he can recruit anyone....but UT basketball fans are fortunate to have you to advise this program and point out all of the wrong things that they are doing…..I know coach Martin will be eternally grateful....

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Pearl had a much deeper resume than Martin has. Martin's never taken a team to the NCAA tournament, even Buzz Peterson had done that. The last coach we hired who hadn't was Wade Houston. This year's recruiting class cannot be attributed to the Pearl situation, this is Martin's class and it's a horrible recruiting class. These kids will not compete with the top SEC teams, of which, for the past six years, we were one. Now we're bottom of the barrell and it looks like that's where we'll be for the next three or four years.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Pompey:

So it's Pearl's fault that Martin's going after bottom of the barrell basketball players? Makes sense, guess that's why Thad Matta walked into a worse situation and was able to garner 20 wins in his first year at Ohio State.

hueypilot writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Well you're just wrong about the recruiting. You don't land at a school in the spring and instantly harvest a top tier class in the fall. As for inheriting a team of four stars, the SEC writers obviously thought so highly of what we had coming back they ranked us 11th in the conference. But that was probably because of Martin, right? Explain to me how Martin was able to come into TBA with his pitful recruits and outplay Pearl and Tennessee in ever category except getting to the FT line enough to crush Martin by 4 points.

What is with the "fans" (I assume this site attracts mostly UT fans) who want to hammer a guy before he's even had a few games to judge him by. Wouldn't that be a better way to judge him than by what some recruiting geek has rated a kid before he's every gotten to college?

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

We should expect a trip to the dance. We are "Golden."

Glad to see two shooters coming in, yes Pearl had 4 Star Talent but no shooters(ranked 186 in field goal percentage). Ut must find someone who can shoot.
As far as Dooley goes if UT gives him 4-6 years then they will never get back up. They better cut ties, admit the HUGE mistake and find a coach that can win. Maybe after Vandy crushes UT peoples eyes will be opened to the truth. Vandy started 11 freshmen last year, Vandy lost their senior QB in mid season, Vandy lost the best offensive talent in Norman for the season, yet Franklin makes no excuses. Vandy plays great in the second half while UT sinks to nothing. Franklin is hard nosed and tough and stole the states top pick in just a few weeks of work over Dooley. But Im sure there is an excuse somewhere waiting to be heard when UT sits home for the Holidays. UT was tough under Kiffin. They are weak and soft with Dooley's WAC non attack.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

he botched 2 recruiting classes???

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

The drop off in talent is all on BP.Who was going to come to Tn with the NCAA thing going on?Who was BP bringing in this year?
You trying to act like mens BB program is Martins fault and BP put the program in the situation that its in not Martin.The bottom line if BP hadnt had a cookout he would still be the coach at UT.

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Ignore him - freaking troll. Notice the use of utk - a juvenile attempt at disrespect.

acworthdave writes:

Ratings are no indication of how the team will perform. Here are the best examples:

Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw - 3 Star
Ramar Smith, Duke Crews - 5 Star

Here ended the lesson

Bubba_Knows writes:

Someone already said it - the point guard is critical. All the great teams that go far in the Dance have one. We are very marginal is this area. Worse, we have guys that are very marginal shooters and I am being kind. Finally, our inside game stinks. We are pretty athletic though and I think our defense can be really good.

Theo writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Reese other offers with last years records:
Florida Gulf Coast 10-20 (7-13)

Georgia Southern 5-27 (1-17)

Jacksonville 20-12 (13-7)-CBI Appearance

James Madison 21-12 (10-8)-CBI Appearance

Murray State 23-9 (14-4)-NIT Appearance

North Florida 15-19 (10-10)

Rider 23-11 (13-5) CBI Appearance

Central Florida 21-12 (6-10) CBI Appearance

Youngstown State 9-21 (2-16)

D'Montre Edwards:
DePaul 7-24 (1-17)

College of Charleston 26-11 (14-4)

Georgia State 12-19 (6-12)

Texas A&M 24-9 (10-6)-NCAA Appearance
-Note: Offer was from 1st year head coach Billy Kennedy, not Mark Turgeon

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to acworthdave:

Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw - 3 Star
Ramar Smith, Duke Crews - 5 Star

Here ended the lesson

Agree about the stars, but Ramar Smith and Duke Crews were pretty talented. They just couldn't get off the wacky weed.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

he botched 2 recruiting classes???

My thoughts exactly..Still trying to figure how a first year coach can botch 2 recruiting classes.

Smokey says that one even has him stumped..

1vavolfan writes:

in response to volfanmatt:

You are in luck this year. I bought 2 lower level seats to the Louisiana Monroe game for $4 apiece on stubhub (seriously I did). 4 years ago I bought lower level season tickets for $2500, even last year I paid around $1000.Cost should not be an excuse for fans to stay home this season.

tnexplorer writes:

'he can shoot the ball as well as he defends'

That statement could mean just about anything, poor shooter/poor defender, avg shooter/avg defender.

Of the top 100 rated players UT has exactly ZERO commits. Looks like basketball is going down just like football.

HtownVol writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

We should expect a trip to the dance. We are "Golden."

Look back at the 4 star recruits

Woolridge - really?
Tatum - very inconsistant
Golden - ball handler but couldnt make a shot last season
McRae - May be the best player we have but didnt play last season
Hall - tough and has potential but has not showed much
Maymon - a 6'6 PF who wants to be a SG but cant shoot

Looking back not one of these players have lived up to the 4 stars (yet).

I know that not many of them have played much except Tatum and they can develope but I doubt very much Woolridge will ever show 4 star talent. Tatum might show it for a 5 minute stretch then show his true colors. Golden will be the PG this season and we have to hope that Martin has made some drastic improvement in Trae's shooting, last season how many easy shots did he miss?

I am still worried so much about the complete lack of size at UT but we will see.

I just hope that McRae is a amazing player. He is the only one I see being the go-to scorer.I have heard he can do it, I hope so.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of McBee this year. I dont know how good that can be. McBee just has no speed to guard the guards UT will see. McBee looked so bad last season when facing a speedy guard.

Point is that with the "4 star" players we have I think Bruce was given a far better roster than Martin was. Bruce had scorers in Lofton and Smith, the hustler in Dane and many other good pieces.

Also do NOT forget

Bruce Pearls first recruiting class.

- Ryan Childress... there is hope.

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Well, let's see; Golden has averaged about 18 points, six assists, one turnover, 81.2% from the free-throw line, and nearly 40% from the three-point line in the only two games so far. Seems to me like he is doing all right. If everybody else was producing as well at their positions as Golden is at his, this could be a very good team by the time all is said and done. OK, he may not be John Wall, but who is?

I agree with you about our post game, on defense with all the fouling and with their passivity on offense. Neither Hall, Maymon, nor Woolridge DEMAND the ball on the block and only Maymon tries to do anything with it when he gets it. Someone else wondered if Hall was sick the other night because he seemed so weak and tentative on his moves and he fouled so much because he wasn't moving his feet. He is better than that! I hope he comes to believe it and show it pretty soon.

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Soooo, his point was that 5-stars don't always live up to their billing, often because they are "head cases". Success in sports depends only partly on sheer talent. Talent is nice, but a guy can have all the talent in the world and not measure up enough in other ways to succeed at a high level. A less-talented player who is there all the time, is a good teammate, works hard, and takes coaching well can often get better results, and THAT is all that counts.

OwensboroVol writes:

I'm going to wait until the first of March and then I will check back here to see if all of the Martin supporters are still posting. Some of them are already starting to say that this years team has little talent because of Bruce Pearl. They fail to acknowledge that Martin has signed at least 4-5 players who are participating this season. Go ahead with all of your stupid insults, but come March you guys will be no where to be seen!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Gonna be tough sledding in recruiting;fielding a below .500 team and having a coach who at this point isn't exactly a household name and doesn't have 6 tourney showings on his resume.The UT image also has a bit of a black eye too..Great recruits don't want to be in a rebuilding team;They want media attention;Tourney contenders and coaches sending players to the NBA..Take Stokes for instance; does he want to come to UT and struggle to get 10 wins under a good but not great coach or play for a powerhouse like KY;NC;Kansas; or up and coming memphis..Kind of a no brainier. If Martin signs a really good post player; this class will look much better to me.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Reese other offers with last years records:
Florida Gulf Coast 10-20 (7-13)

Georgia Southern 5-27 (1-17)

Jacksonville 20-12 (13-7)-CBI Appearance

James Madison 21-12 (10-8)-CBI Appearance

Murray State 23-9 (14-4)-NIT Appearance

North Florida 15-19 (10-10)

Rider 23-11 (13-5) CBI Appearance

Central Florida 21-12 (6-10) CBI Appearance

Youngstown State 9-21 (2-16)

D'Montre Edwards:
DePaul 7-24 (1-17)

College of Charleston 26-11 (14-4)

Georgia State 12-19 (6-12)

Texas A&M 24-9 (10-6)-NCAA Appearance
-Note: Offer was from 1st year head coach Billy Kennedy, not Mark Turgeon

No, it just means we aren't anal retentive idiots like you.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

You reckon Coach Raleigh needed a few more years too?

Yep, and so did Buzz Peterson. Houston Nutt is about to turn the corner with Ole Miss, so he should get a few more years too.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

UT has about a .005% chance for Stokes. If Memphis doesn't want him, he goes to Fla. or Ky.

punkin writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Here's an idea for you. Leave and root for another team. You wouldn't be so miserable. Then again you might be.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Reese other offers with last years records:
Florida Gulf Coast 10-20 (7-13)

Georgia Southern 5-27 (1-17)

Jacksonville 20-12 (13-7)-CBI Appearance

James Madison 21-12 (10-8)-CBI Appearance

Murray State 23-9 (14-4)-NIT Appearance

North Florida 15-19 (10-10)

Rider 23-11 (13-5) CBI Appearance

Central Florida 21-12 (6-10) CBI Appearance

Youngstown State 9-21 (2-16)

D'Montre Edwards:
DePaul 7-24 (1-17)

College of Charleston 26-11 (14-4)

Georgia State 12-19 (6-12)

Texas A&M 24-9 (10-6)-NCAA Appearance
-Note: Offer was from 1st year head coach Billy Kennedy, not Mark Turgeon

There are more appealing schools out there than UTK. Some recruits prefer closer to home. Some like in Carolinas like to be closer to ocean.

Vol grad 1975 here

STLVOLS writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Quite frankly, folks in other parts of USA prefer other scools for various reasons. Although I am UTK grad, I have visited a lot of Universities coast to coast while in areas for business travel.

Believe me when I say that outside of Tennessee, there are more appealing universities to recruits for various reasons.

UTK is not a final destination basketball program, particularly with the Pearl stigma.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to punkin:

I'm a UT grad, I'm rooting for my team, I want what's best for my team. This type of recruiting is not what's best for our team.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to STLVOLS:

So. . .what you're saying is we should just accept being a middle of the road basketball program? We shouldn't want to win, and expecting to make the NCAA tournament on a year in year out basis is unrealistic? I don't get the point of your post, we should want to build a top teir basketball program. We're capable of it especially in a state with the high school talent of Tennessee. There's no logical reason our basketball program shouldn't be an SEC power. Dickey did all he could to destroy it, we finally get a coach 26 years after Mears who makes it relevant, taking us to the NCAA tournament six years in a row, and somehow that's a stigma?

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Classic example of "pot calling the kettle black"

volfanmatt writes:

westknoxrepub should be renamed westknoxjerk. He is one of the frequent posters who I beleive should just stop coming to the site and start 'supporting' some other team. Any other team. Come on westknoxjerk, please move on. Kenlucky would be glad to have you.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

No, you totally missed my point. Pearl stigma still there in minds of some recruits. UTK has a lot of competition out there across USA.

Having been coast to coast, in more heavily populated states, UTK faces recruits wanting to be near home, schools with as good of facilities as UTK, better basketball traditions.

Noooooooo. you don't give up trying to land these guys. However, believe it or not, there is life outside of Tennessee. Some players prefer to be closer to big cities or live in big cities.

And no, Atlanta is certainly not in same big city league as Chicago, NY, or LA. If you don't believe me, see for yourself. I am an extensive business traveller. Also former Knoxvillian and UTK grad.