Bungled punt return 'deflated' Vols

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley looks at the point after attempt that put Arkansas ahead 49-7 at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville on Nov. 12, 2011. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS/2011

Game recap: Tennessee 7, Arkansas 49

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Derek Dooley couldn't find anything wrong with the coverage.

The punt itself might have left a little to be desired, but the Tennessee coach watched his special teams close down the space on the returner and put itself in exactly the kind of position he would have drawn up.

"It was great," Dooley said.

Everything that happened after came up well short of that evaluation, with Joe Adams shaking off a handful of tacklers, juking past others and then cruising into the end zone with a huge momentum-swinging touchdown that sent No. 8 Arkansas on its way to a 49-7 win against the overmatched Vols on Saturday night at Razorback Stadium.

"We should have had him for minus-10 (yards)," Dooley said. "We had five guys there, we've got to finish it.

"We missed a lot of opportunities, there were a ton of missed tackles in space. On the punt return we had about five guys right there and we've got to finish them off."

The Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) couldn't find a way to do it despite getting several sets of hands on Adams, and a couple others just simply whiffed on him during his winding, 60-yard road to a score.

That future staple on the highlight reel for the Razorbacks (9-1, 5-1) only gave them a 14-point lead, and UT had plenty of chances to close the margin and climb back into the game. But the Vols couldn't overcome their other errors on special teams, from a botched fake on a field goal to a shanked 12-yard punt, which only compounded the issues they were having on offense and defense.

"I mean, we had a lot of missed tackles on that, obviously," senior linebacker Austin Johnson said. "It was huge for them, it was a huge momentum swing for them because we were still in the game.

"I think it deflated us and we just have to make sure that when those kinds of things happen we have to stay up."

Bray Watch: Tyler Bray was in a jersey and throwing spirals to a stationary Justin Hunter before Saturday's game, his first public display since breaking his right thumb last month against Georgia.

Though Bray was throwing consistently from 25 and 30 yards, Dooley cautioned that Bray's prognosis has yet to be determined for Saturday's game against Vanderbilt.

"I know he's throwing some passes but we got to MRI it ... to make sure it's healed," Dooley said. "If it's not healed, he can't play, I don't care how good he throws. But it's tough right now. It is, guys. It's tough."

Hunter, meanwhile, is still using crutches to get around on his surgically repaired left knee (torn anterior cruciate ligament), but he was able to stand without them while catching passes.

QB Shuffle: For the second time in the past three weeks, quarterback Justin Worley didn't get to finish what he started.

Senior backup Matt Simms entered the game on the first play of the fourth quarter to finish off the rout. He completed three of five passes for 30 yards.

Dooley was brief in his answer when asked why he made the move, simply saying that Worley, who completed 15 of 29 passes for 208 yards and an interception, was "struggling."

"They just told me to learn from this and move on to next week," Worley said.

Worley said he's preparing for Saturday as if he's still the starter.

"It's a learning experience and I know the coaches are doing what's best for the team," Worley said. "I've just got to go in and learn from this experience, learn from South Carolina, learn from this week and go on to the next game."

Second-Guessing: UT had its backup quarterback and a walk-on running back (Jaron Toney) in the backfield during most of its fourth-quarter possessions, but the first-team offensive line remained on the field.

Dooley said he wasn't sure why he didn't use the opportunity to provide playing time for his backup linemen, a group that includes freshman left tackle Antonio Richardson.

"Probably should have," he said. "Stupid coaching."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

sbigdaddy writes:

Best comment CDD- Stupid coaching yup flat our stupid and poor coaching and play calling We miss janzen more then we know cause our safety, corners and DB's are bad we need ART evans and eric Gordon to win these next two games point blank and new coaches

chrisw2967 writes:

we got the 2 worst kickers in the Ncaa.

DancingOutlaw writes:

I love how one play has been the deciding factor in all our losses. Can we just not admit that we're not very good? I'm sure that hurts the players feelings, but good God we are not good. We are not competitive. When Adams shook that last tackle I said out loud "Hell I think he's going to score" and he did just that. That and the incredible catch by the UA WR would probably be sportscenter's top 2 plays.

To top it all off, they throw out Justin Hunter standing without crutches like he'll be catching fades next week. Folks he's gone for 2011. Buh-bye. No spring practice. Limited summer. If we lose out and drop our first couple games in 2012 prepare yourself for a HC search in October. We cannot bet our history on a gimped QB and a gimped WR. It's lunacy.

Ironcity writes:

A lot of stupid coaching tonight. If I didn't know better I would have thought we hired Hal Mumme. No way we beat Vandy without Bray. Doubt we beat them with Bray.

Londonjohn writes:

Yep. The kick return killed us. Without that, we go on to win easily tonight. We were obviously the better coached team. I don't know why everyone is calling for Dooley's head, the only thing we are missing at this point is an effective offense, defense and special teams unit. Other than that, we should be contending for championships soon.

DancingOutlaw writes:

in response to Londonjohn:

You've got upper middle management written all over you. I'd like to put you a in a position to have a least FOUR people working directly underneath you. Whaddaya say?

SouthALVol writes:

I disagree with the stupid coaching assessment about the offensive line. Leaving them in was the best decision all night. They need the experience, although you would think by game 10 they would have it figured out.

I am glad they still are talking like they need to make adjustments for upcoming games by learning from the mistakes, but these are the same comments I heard after the first game.

Wow...that was a really bad game. It was relaxing, though, just like the previous three years. There are no expectations of any kind. I think since 2008 UT is 2-18 against what most would consider the elite teams of the SEC: UA; UGA; UF; LSU; Ark; Aub. Check my math, but I think that's right.

DancingOutlaw writes:

in response to SouthALVol:

Yes, slip into that coma of irrelevance. See how it coddles you in the warmth of never being a factor? Bad QB/RB/WR/DE/DT/LB/DB/SS/PR/KR play? Aw, we're young, you'll see next year. Let's just be patient and wait. What's that? It's 2017? Aw, now we're ready for Justin Hunter to shock the world!!!! Bray for Heisman 2K16!!!!!!!!!

kantanuuv writes:

What's the early short list on Dooley's replacement?

Steve Kragthorpe at LSU?

Ellis Johnson at South Carolina?

Todd Grantham at Georgia?

Kirby Smart at Alabama?

Lifelongvolsfan writes:

It hurts me to say it but I see coaching mistake after mistake by Dooley. The romping tonight got so bad that I turned to the Cartoon Channel and happened to see Blue Falcon on. It was awful ironic how Dynomutt reminded me of Dooley. The son of the Dawg coach came to mind and then the villains references to him as "Boy Blunder" seemed to particulary to ring home.
Dooley is not the long term answer in Tennessee. I think he is a decent recruiter and does very much care about his players, but I think he is a horrible strategist and game coach. I base a lot of this on his complete inability to make adjustments at halftime. Other teams oonsistently make successful adjustments verus us during the half while we come up with not even a glimmer of hope.

Dynomutt a.k.a. "Boy Blunder" has to go!!!!

ChrisUTvol writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

we got the 2 worst kickers in the Ncaa.

Hey Chris I totally agree. There cannot be a more inept set of kickers anywhere!!!

doh writes:

UT needs to get in the bus at halftime and go home. Shut out in the last four games and needing a late score in the georgia game is pathetic. The tackling in this game was the worst all year. That punt return was just unbelievable.

TnFan_in_Maryland writes:

I can honestly say that first and foremost I am a Tennessee Vol football fan since 1981. I have sat back and watched our program decline for the past 7 years. Right now, mediocre would be a step up. I honestly feel that we don't have SEC caliber coaching on our team. Nothing against Dooley and his pedigree, Chaney and his NFL experience or Justin Wilcox and what he did at Boise State but this is not cutting it! At least with Fulmer he had the staff (until Clawson)that played hard nosed SEC smashmouth football. Chavis was aggressive and fielded at least a top 15 to top 30 defense. We have a great team, talentwise but the coaching is not up to par. Tennessee has gone from being one of the bullies on the block to a finesse team and that does not cut it in the SEC. If you look at the caliber of running backs we had, the line had to be good for Jay Graham, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Travis Stevens, Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb (remember the Cobb Webb backfield). Our defense used to strike fear into the opponents coming into Neyland because we used them effectively and aggresively. No matter how much talent you have it will equate to nothing without the proper coaching. I honestly think we need to get back to smashmouth football to open up our passing game and a blitzing defense that uses more than just our 4 down linemen. This is a honest critique of my beloved team because I know we have just as talented a squad as everyone else, we need coaches that will coach them SEC style.

PS
I know this will take at least 2 to 4 years to implement but we can do it.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!

TennHillbilly writes:

This season needs to mercifully end. Coach Martin looks like he may be doing some good things on the hardcourt.

xvolx writes:

Whoever is coaching these kids to tackle, should be fired.

Couchdummy writes:

As a fan, I am totally disgusted, disappointed and deflated, and I imagine the players probably feel the same. The coaches face perhaps their toughest challenge in regaining the confidence of the team. At a loss as to how they can even begin to prepare for Vandy and KY.

dtennessee#235123 writes:

in response to TnFan_in_Maryland:

PS
I know this will take at least 2 to 4 years to implement but we can do it.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!

You,sir, are an idiot and sound like a 12 year old who just went to his first game. It's morons like you that got this program into the shape its in.

vol98champ writes:

Tn fan in Maryland writes that we have as much talent as everyone else. I don't know what he calls "talent", but this team is slow, lazy, weak, and seems to just go through the motions. A coach can lead a mule to water, but he can't make him drink. This team has a lot of slow, stubborn mules and coaching them must be a nightmare.

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

What's the early short list on Dooley's replacement?

Steve Kragthorpe at LSU?

Ellis Johnson at South Carolina?

Todd Grantham at Georgia?

Kirby Smart at Alabama?

No. No. No.

No more head coaching changes.

volinlm writes:

in response to vol98champ:

I agree with your last sentence. For the first time last night, I felt Dooley's frustration with all those freshmen. They do 10 things right, and then one mental lapse is horrendous!

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to SouthALVol:

That's absolutely amazing. Dooley comes out and admits that it was stupid coaching and YOU disagree with him. Not even the Head Coach of the Tennessee Vols could convince you that the Head Coach of the Tennessee Vols committed a stupid coaching error.

Wow...you Dooley homers will not be denied your man-love of Derek Dooley. Not even by Derek Dooley himself.

tmcretired writes:

I think we need help getting the team ready for a game. The team is eager to learn but you can not learn unless you have a leader and teacher. The team is learning without a teacher and that takes much much longer GO VOLS

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

What's the early short list on Dooley's replacement?

Steve Kragthorpe at LSU?

Ellis Johnson at South Carolina?

Todd Grantham at Georgia?

Kirby Smart at Alabama?

Kevin Sumlin at Houston, but he will be snatched up at the end of the season. So if we don't get him this year, he's gone.

I like Kirby Smart. No Kragthorpe and nobody that even half way ever looked at UGA. I don't want the Vols to catch whatever mediocrity disease the UGA fan base seems afflicted with.

Why all the SEC picks...why not broaden your horizons?

powert#205805 writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

we got the 2 worst kickers in the Ncaa.

We possibly have the worst head coach in the NCAA (now that Houston Nutt is gone), but after watching Bama's kicker last week, I am not ready to admit we have the worst kickers. There's no question they are down at that level however.

Prostar writes:

I'm losing my patience with the Derek Dooley experiment. No, I'm not for a change at the top. However, I do think he must change some of his assistants. But Dooley, you're starting to lose me when you say you don't know why you didn't put some of your other OL in the game. When you say "Stupid coaching", I'm with you there.

OldNumber7 writes:

You people amaze me. These coaches win their last games in 2010 and become bowl eligible, nearly beat LSU, basically beat UNC, then look great in their first games in 2011 with a team that is 75% within 1 year of high school. Our starting QB and star receiver go down and you are ready to fire Dooley? What kind of season do you figure we have if Hunter and Bray are healthy? Would it be bad enough to fire Dooley? Get some perspective on what Dooley is dealing with and whom he's trying to beat with it!

CrankE writes:

Trickery seldom enough works when really good teams use it. It's impossible then a bad team tries it.

Derek Bambooley needs to go.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

What's the early short list on Dooley's replacement?

Steve Kragthorpe at LSU?

Ellis Johnson at South Carolina?

Todd Grantham at Georgia?

Kirby Smart at Alabama?

UT Administration must not have the money to spend like other SEC schools for they always go for a "dime store" coach who they can pay as little as possible.

Dooley's name got him the job for if it had been any other coach at Louisana Tech they would not have even looked at the guy. He has NO winning background and NO possibility of attracting great recruits.

If Tennessee is to ever climb back to the top they MUST ante up the money for a Jon Gruden, Urban Meyer or a top proven winner. They won't come cheap but they will come for the right amount of money.

If the fans will stop showing up to watch the pathetic product the UT program puts on the field then they WILL spend the money to upgrade. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

IF Dooley loses to Vandy or Ky. he and his inept coaches all need to be fired. I used to feel he deserved one more year but the problems lie much deeper than losing Bray and Hunter. The problems lie in the coaching.

SummittsCourt writes:

49-11

The combined record of the teams UT has lost to this season.

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

With Bray, Hunter, and Rogers, these 3 sophomores were knocking Peyton Manning records down...DOWN! And were leading many SEC offensive categories. Guess who coached them!

iowavol writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

we got the 2 worst kickers in the Ncaa.

Amazing too - if memory serves me correctly, they both came out of high school as the highest rated or four stars or whatever. Please let's recruit a punter and placekicker.

tnvolfan98 writes:

How is it possible that this team has followed the same script practically every game during this losing streak? We play descent the first half, but miss on several scoring opportunities for any number of reasons. The first half of games has been more or less respectable, but we keep giving up some big play that "deflates" the team and they kind of go into a shell. Then comes the second half which I dread to even watch. I don't want to hear how young the team is or how many injuries they have...I understand this clearly. This group has been dealt a bad hand with a lot of things, but I want to see more effort. Yes this is the frustration getting the better of me at the moment. I feel Dooley will get things turned around, but I am a little "deflated" when I see that type of effort and outcome on National TV the same day I hear Vandy has plucked another top instate recruit from us and see how they are going about their business with probably less talent than us.

derainey36#303427 writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

we got the 2 worst kickers in the Ncaa.

i think Alabama might might have something to say about that

Sir_Spanky writes:

Lot's of problems, many to be expected, but the tackling? Mercy me...

Stanman08 writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

oldnumber7, you keep drinking that kool-aid dude. You will see a change, if not prior to next season, beginning 2013 in the coaching ranks. This team does not adjust to what their opponents are doing when they start the second half. BUT the opponents do to UTK. Our coaching staff does not have the knowledge to be able to do this. the clock is ticking on this sub par group of coaches. You want to claim the kids are still wet behind the ears from HS, dude, they taught tackling in HS!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Oh they hit. Just not hitting the right target. Noticed at least two instances where a white jersey knocked another white jersey off the tackle on that return. One so bad it looked like he wanted the tackle all to himself. Several cases of tackling above the shoulders and leaving their feet before making contact. Keystone Kops.

pauln500#205995 writes:

in response to sbigdaddy:

This post by "sbigdaddy" is a typical installment of "black-cloud" logic from the utterly unreasonable and madly impatient folks that continuously criticize our football program.These people are so saturated with negativity, they don't realize that they are actually the reason for UT's sad state of affairs. Their negativity bandwagon started the recent downward spiral and forced the firing of Coach Fulmer.

Take a look at how Alabama handled a similar circumstance. In 1969 & 1970, Bear Bryant's team was in the midst of a severe slump, winning only 6 games........but they didn't fire him. After all, he was one of the winningest coaches in the country. Instead of lashing out at him as our "black-cloud" vol fans did with Fulmer, they supported Bryant as he revamped his football program. Soon afterwards, a rejuvenated Tide team proceeded to beat Tennessee 11 straight years, under his leadership.

UT had a consistent and proven coach as well, who had even won a national championship. But that didn't matter to the hardened Vol alumni and fan base. Their whining resulted in Fulmer's firing and the subsequent hiring of two new coaches in a little over a year. By this time, most of the better players and recruits had left and now we find ourselves bringing up the SEC's rearend. The most amazing thing is that a brand new negativity bandwagon is already starting to roll along, as they try to get Coach Dooley fired, and he hasn't even had time to prove himself as a winner. If they succeed, we'll be facing an even more severe downward spiral..... Apparently, these people will never learn !?!?

Go_Big_O writes:

in response to dtennessee#235123:

Yeah. Let's just blame everybody. It's even the fan's fault!

There is no doubt we are in big trouble this year. But all this whining and complaining is not going to make anything better. Also, let's not forget that 4 of our last 5 games have been against top 10 in the nation football teams.

derainey36#303427 writes:

stupid coaching. When your players get down after a big play "someone" needs to talk to them and get their heads back into the game who would that be? hmm....Telling your players "You can't make any mistakes or we'll lose" becomes a self fufilling prophecy. They make a mistake and they get down and lose their confidence. This doesn't happen with players who are more experianced because they know mistakes happen, theses are kids THEY BELIEVE WHAT YOU TELL THEM so tell them they are great and can beat any body... because they can!

Jakevol writes:

Tn. will be lucky if they take KY into overtime. Vandy will lay the wood to their butts. Speaking of Vandy, they do know how to coach. Currently, Tn. is a disgrace to the orange uniform and on TV for everyone to see. I've followed Tn since the 60's. I honestly feel this is the poorest fielded team I have ever seen.

LONEWOLF-VOL writes:

Word is Dooley took Wilcox's game plan for Ark.and threw it in the trash when it was presented to him.How long has this been goin on? no wonder Wilcox is leaving at the end of the season,wish some others would too.

vol98champ writes:

in response to Go_Big_O:

Yeah. Let's just blame everybody. It's even the fan's fault!

I don't know who is at fault, but my grandaddy said sometimes you have to hit a young mule in the head with a 2 by 4 to get his attention. Can't do that to these sophs and fresh, but somehow we have to get their attention. Vandy should have beaten Arkansas so they could beat us by 50 if some attitude adjustments are not made.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Interesting article in the paper this morning that list past losing seasons the VOLS have had. This year may end up being the worst since 1950 but there have been a number of lean years. In the 60's there was three in a row. So Dooley should get another year but he needs to show very visable improvement. Since they have already sunk to record depths I doubt Vandy will be a W.

Maverickman writes:

Mike Leach.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

For years I have wondered how it would feel to be a Vanderbilt fan, now I know.

underthehill writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

What kind of season w/Bray and Hunter..the team would be better but what game could we have won that we did not? I don't see any..I do agree w/Dooley the players had position to make the tackle on the return they just reacted poorly by not getting Adams legs...the morning after this disaster don't seem as bad as last night..I've seen a team from Auburn I thought was pretty good get blown out a couple of times recently..looks like Vol fans will have to lower their expectations for a while..I'm still hoping Dooley has success but the signs so far are not good..

Dobervol writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

Great post, sir, but I fear your logic is wasted on the "win now or be fired" crowd that dominates this board. Haven't you heard? Injuries and youth aren't reasons or facts; they're "excuses!" You're casting your pearls before swine.

SummerfieldVol writes:

They looked like the Keystone Cops on punt coverage. Enough said. Worley does the same thing as Simms. He looks at his reciver to long and he throws to the same person to much,just look into his eyes, not to hard to cover when you know where the ball is going. You have about 2 to 4 seconds to throw the ball, he needs to remember this is not high school where you have all night to throw. There is more than one receive on the field.

Bubba_Knows writes:

The tackling was SO BAD on that play that the block in the back refs did not call hardly bares mentioning.

kd45music writes:

in response to derainey36#303427:

i think Alabama might might have something to say about that

Palardy has been a giant disappointment. we used to be able to at least pride ourselves on having the best kicking game in the conference. Unless Palardy is still ailing, he should have his kicking shoe taken away from him.