Tyler Bray ready to return to practice, listed as 'questionable'

Derek Dooley on Tyler Bray and Justin Worley

Tyler Bray is ready to return to practice.

That doesn't necessarily guarantee the Tennessee quarterback will be back on the field for a game just yet, but the odds have clearly improved.

The sophomore was turning heads during warmups on Saturday before a loss to Arkansas that he couldn't contribute to, and that combined with the clearance from the doctors has opened up the possibility that Bray could be under center for the first time in five games when UT hosts Vanderbilt with its postseason life on the line at Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: ESPNU, 7 p.m.).

"I guess the question this week is going to be Tyler, and he's been cleared to go ahead and start practicing, which is right on schedule with what we expected," UT coach Derek Dooley said during his Monday press conference. "I would probably list him, if I had to say a word, it's questionable and I really won't know until we start practicing to see how he can take a snap, how accurately he can throw it, and then he's going to have a learning curve because he's been out of ball for five, six weeks. That's a long time, so we'll see.

"We've still got to get the other guys ready to play and we'll just kind of take it day by day."

The next big one will be Tuesday, and Bray is expected to receive first-team snaps with the offense as he tries to shake off any accumulated rust from the broken thumb that sidelined him for more than a month.

How many reps he gets when the Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) get back to work preparing for the Commodores (5-5, 2-5) and how well he handles them will help determine his official status for the weekend, and Dooley didn't establish any public timeline for making that decision.

"We've talked about it," he said. "But probably the reality is, if he's ready to go, we'd be crazy not to at least give him a shot given the inconsistency that we've had at that position."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bUTchVFL writes:

Finally, some good news. This should put some pep in the teams step.

not_on_the_rug_man writes:

That quarterback really ties the offense together.

shipperman#280095 writes:

Funny how he has never played a "real" team. Now his health is better for Vandy and KY.

voloffaith writes:

Yippeeeee last......really y'all we need all the help we can muster to beat down the doo....dores. I'm realistic...so it's a tossup with vandy a slim favorite. Go Vols!!!!

volstout writes:

If he is capable of throwing at all, start him! That is all I have to say about that.

EastTNvolfan writes:

I want the Vols to beat Vandy very badly. That said, I have mixed emotions on Bray playing. I would love for him to come in, energize the team, and get a win. On the other hand (no pun intended) it would be really bad if he were to re-injure or make his hand worse by playing or getting hit again. I know in the NFL (and probably college) that if the other team knows you are hurt or recovering from an injury they will go after that sore spot intentionally. Anyways, GO VOLS!

RickyVols writes:

Brett Favre broke his right thumb a few years ago and never missed a game. Surely Tyler should be ready after six weeks. With Bray playing, Vols win.

bristvol writes:

I may be nit picking, but I think the article says questionable, not probable. Headline is not correct.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to not_on_the_rug_man:

That quarterback really ties the offense together.

Is this your homework, Larry?

Razor784 writes:

If he's healthy and doesn't show any rust we'll win, if he can't go then we'll lose, pretty simple

FWBVol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I thought Florida was, as you put it, a "real" team and Bray threw for almost 300 yards against the Gators after losing Justin Hunter on the third play of the game.

You sound as if you even question if Bray was even hurt.

This should be a real shot in the arm for our offense. I think Worley is a good quarterback, but he doesn't have the arm strength of a healthy Tyler Bray.

As others have said, finally some good news.

CCLC writes:

This will not end well. Vandy will bring the heat and Bray will get his bell rung. They are mean and they are nasty........
just sayin'

CrankE writes:

Maybe he could throw with his left hand and then James Stone could go back to snapping with his left.

Just waterin' the bamboo.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Let's wish Tyler and the team the best and not be too concerned with anything the assorted trolls have to say.

They have nothing to do with what happens down on the field so they are irrelevant.

It's a tall order anyway with all the inconsistency we've shown lately. Vandy hasn't won yet, and even if they should win.........
wouldn't you think it's about time? One win since 1982????????????? No wonder Vandy/Gold/Troll is foaming at the mouth in hopeful anticipation.

Ironcity writes:

in response to EastTNvolfan:

If Bray were to get hurt he would have all off season to heal. Additionally thats a risk every game he plays in college so you can't suddenly decide to sit him for fear of injury. This team needs him badly. We have no chance without Bray. We probably have a limited chance with him (will have to score 30 or more points and something in the second half).

GONAVY writes:

No secret about Bray. This timetable was laid out the week after his injury. It just so happens that he is just in time for the Vanderbilt game. Not to take away from an earlier poster about all he did vs Florida, but UT still lost, as was also the result against UGA before he was hurt in the 4th quarter. He is talented and should provide a lift for UT, but 6 weeks off as Dooley said is a long time; he may be rusty. More drama added to the game now.

EastTNvolfan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I agree. I just know when you're injured you have a larger target on you at QB than you usually do. I hope the OL stands strong and gives him time/protection.

bigOutfan writes:

Is the band going to the game?

SandySpringsVol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Yeah, I love he intentionally broke his thumb in the Georgia game. You just knew he was going to intentionally injure himself so he wouldn't have to play the tough part of the SEC schedule.

While Bray is physically better, your mental health is highly suspect. So which are you: a.) Stupid, b.) Troll or c.) Commoder Fan?

SandySpringsVol writes:

in response to bigOutfan:

Is the band going to the game?

The band is going to be replaced at the last minute by Derrick Brodus, who will play the tuba and bass drum at the same time.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

This may be code for "keep Candy guessing" who will be the starter for Saturday's game!

GO BIG ORANGE!

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

Though we walk through the valley of death, we will fear no Vandy. For Bray art with us. His arm, and his ways, they comfort us.

SandySpringsVol writes:

in response to RickyVols:

Becasue as any doctor will tell you, all bone breaks are identical...

Is this moron day?

thevoice writes:

Anybody know if Comcast Nashville will temporarily open ESPNU for the game? Or must we be sentenced to the online version? They've done it before for basketball games.

CCLC writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

I’m starting to wonder if we are witnessing the beginnings of a long-term lease for Tennessee of the SEC’s basement. The UT fans are lot harsher than any trolls you have on here. Well, ya gotta have goals. Every house is perfect for somebody. Every bride is beautiful on her wedding day. But beating VANDY to make your season! Seriously, Derek Dooley had better win next year. I don’t think he’s getting a fourth year unless Year 3 is significantly better. I’m pretty sure Vol fans have forgotten about the condition of the program when he inherited it. What about the future at Tennessee looks particularly bright right now? Kiffin really screwed you taking the job and also leaving. This takes a decade to straighten out and with the conference changes and recruiting base being redirected it isn't nearly as easy fixing it. Babs will bring up the station wagon.
just sayin'

SandySpringsVol writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

I don't know what "CC" stands for, but I'm betting that "LC" stands for "Loves Commoders".

wagee12 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

What an absolutely cynical and asinine statement. Perhaps you can explain what makes you believe that he could have played before now?

Go4Two writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Becasue as any doctor will tell you, all bone breaks are identical...

Is this moron day?

Sometimes info on here is like watching FOX news wrong..BF did not break the thumb on this throwing hand and still play..

CCLC writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

You just don't get it!
Did you ever expect the day would come when a Tennessee football player would utter the following? “I mean, this is the season for us, really,” Johnson said. “It defines our season." Beating Vandy as defined a UT season. Oh my gosh... how far you have fallen. Nice commode joke..... ironic: that's kinda where your at.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

A good analogy for the situation is this:

The importance of the QB position to a football team is like the importance of the PG position to the basketball..He is the leader of the team and if he plays well,then the team plays well..If the opposite happens,then the team struggles..Bray adds that swagger to the team and hopefully it will show on Saturday.

I said before if he plays, we beat Vandy;if he doesn't, then we may not like the results of the game.With that being said, IMO, the Vols come out fired up because they are fully aware of what is on the line..Not gonna pick a winner is this game, but it is really difficult to pick against the Vols because of the historical facts regarding the series..Let's just wait and see!!

Smokey says he will be there no matter what,gimpy leg and all..

BTW..Said I was gonna stay away from gvx for a few days, but simply decided not to read any comments and just apply selective reading.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Go4Two:

I'm sorry the first part of your post makes NO sense....other than that...I understood....Oh I get it...you must be a "I cant think for myself" liberal so I'll follow blindly...only explanation I can figure...If not...forgive me!!

bigOutfan writes:

Alright TN fans it time to step up, get your tickets and go to the game! Don't sit home. Lets fill Neyland Stadium! Show some support for this team. I know I've been as frustrated as anyone watching this team struggle this season but we can let this be the beginning of next year! See you there! XX2

VandyisGold writes:

in response to bigOutfan:

Why would they want to come out and see little ole Vanderbilt? Just stay home and watch it on your 19 inch black and white. utk fans are getting rid of their tickets as fast as possible over here.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I know it must have been a well thought out plan.
Dooley says- Okay Tyler we have some tough games coming up soon. Lets stick the plan. They are going to release the end on the right side. You make sure to hit your thumb on his helmet just right.
Bray- Coach this seems kind of silly.
Dooley- Trust me. You will miss 4-6 weeks and come back for the easy games. You will play great and it will show that we can win with you at QB.
Bray- No problem coach.

Get real. Injuries happen. Nothing more to it than he got hurt at the worst possible time. I am also sure that Vandy and even Kentucky is a "real" team.

underthehill writes:

in response to bigOutfan:

Is the band going to the game?

you think "financial considerations" would prevent them from attending a home game..

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to VandyisGold:

Witch Doctor say make sure your mommy or babysitter packs your sunscreen and mittens! lol. Witch Doctor say nothing wrong with some good ole Vandy ribbin'
Bones never lie.

bigOutfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

It's was a joke. No sence of humor, huh?

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Funny how more and more stupid you sound
Broke thumb and a cast

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to VandyisGold:

Welcome the board since you joined yesterday. Best of luck in getting your second win in the last 3 decades of yearly play against us.
That said I do not think we lose to Vandy. Vandy is still Vandy. They have always fought hard but find ways to lose games when they could have won them.

givehim6 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I can understand how all in Volland are nerves about Vandy, but why are sume acting scared of UK? Come on people they beat Old Miss but Old Miss is really the weakes team in the SEC.

voloffaith writes:

in response to VandyisGold:

Smackadora from vandy fan........this is your best chance in a while to beat us so don't don't pull a historical vandy and blow it! Really talkin' smack when you know beating us won't mean the same as when are ranked and it is unexpected. Sadly you are favored so don't let Vegas down since they might send Bruno after you....

phippo writes:

this is almost better than the "blue collar comedy tour"...i'm old and disabled, why aren't you clowns at work. i'm sure you would not use your companies computer for this phooey. can't wait till you have to take a drug test for your welfare, that will knock about 85% of you off here. VFL go vols in all sports

daporter22#1402249 writes:

Awesome news. Tyler is a gamer. Will score plenty to win. Defense needs Offense to take over so they can watch the game some. Arm tackles were hard to watch on Saturday. No one wanted any part of Razorback bruiser of running back. Vols will be up for Vandy.

VandyisGold writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Witch Sir,

I consider it an honor for you to reply to my post. I sometimes read your posts in the Tennessean and we agree on everything except this game. Good luck Saturday.

RickyVols writes:

in response to Go4Two:

Brett Favre broke his right thumb, a clean break, and still played the next week. Did not miss a game. Look it up.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Fossilfiction:

Bingo!!!

Smokey says very well put..

unconquered writes:

in response to phippo:

That is the exact reason is why I keep an extra cup of clean urine in the company fridge labeled: "Urine. Dont Drink!" If any of you happen to work at the same office as I do, don't open it-- It really is pee. Hopefully, the day will never come I have to use it, either to keep posting on here or to pour on my keyboard,fry it and then run laughing, maniacally out of the office. GBO beat Vandy...PLEASE

VandyisGold writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Bingo!!!

Smokey says very well put..

Bad dog, SCAT!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to VandyisGold:

Bad dog, SCAT!

Take your own advice!!

Down_The_Field writes:

this changes a lot.

if bray goes....it opens up 60% of the playbook and puts more VOL fans in the seats.

i hope dooley closes all practices to the media and announces the starter just after the coin toss saturday night.

CDD needs to bring in one of the old timers from pre 1975 to give pre-practice and game speaches. i've noticed that this team respects peebody more than they hate peebody. that needs to change. it's a shame cafego's not around, he'd be my first choice.