Orange dog statue a symbol for positive thinking

Brian Randolph on the play of the secondary

It was first attached to a dolly and then placed on a four-wheeled cart.

A few minutes later, it watched Tennessee's offensive linemen run through early-practice drills. With a little help from two UT assistants, it was a few paces away from the line of scrimmage while the Vols ran through a five-wide offensive set.

It was a ceramic orange dog, and it served a purpose at Tuesday's practice.

"It's just a reminder, you know, when you get something in your mind that is negative or you get down on yourself," coach Derek Dooley said. "It's just a reminder. Snap out of it, we've got it made over here."

The significance of the dog went back to a metaphor Dooley provided the Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) with on Sunday, one day after their worst loss of the season, a 49-7 rout at Arkansas. Along with throwing out the Arkansas film, Dooley told the players to feed the "orange dog," which symbolizes positive thinking, and not the "red dog," which symbolizes negative thinking.

"We get so emotionally invested in the results in our country that it can really sabotage your thinking," Dooley said Monday. "It can sabotage your performance, and it has our team. I don't think there's any question, those teams that you say, 'We just didn't get the breaks and we were close.'

"You're missing that juice, that confidence and every day you wake up, you've got one side that wants to be negative and wants to feel sorry for yourself and wants to make excuses and blame others. Then you've got another side who thinks good thoughts and has a lot of encouragement, is a little more solution-oriented and isn't so emotionally drawn to the results. That's the side we need to feed ourselves with, and that's hard to do, it's hard for all of us."

On Tuesday, it was more than just a symbol. It was a real-life, seemingly very heavy, prop.

"When I first saw it, I laughed about it. But at the same time, I thought, 'This is something serious. We've got to learn how to be more positive,' " defensive end Marlon Walls said. "Especially right now, coming off a loss like that, got to be more positive. We've got to put it behind us and look at that orange dog and get focused and think of something positive to say to somebody else to help their day out. It was a good thing seeing it out there."

Dooley said equipment manager Roger Frazier found the statue in Sweden. Asked if the dog would be rolled through the T with the team before Saturday's game (TV: ESPNU, 7:15 p.m.) against Vanderbilt, Dooley laughed.

"No," he said. "It's too heavy."

On the Mend: Freshman running back Marlin Lane wore a green, non-contact jersey at Tuesday's practice. Lane, who took a hard hit to his shoulder Saturday, has nursed a variety of injuries over the past few weeks.

Wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers wore a brace on his left knee, but was not limited during the portion of practice open to reporters.

Doomed From The Start: A few moments before his pass to fullback Channing Fugate sailed well out of reach, kicker Michael Palardy had a bad feeling about the fake field-goal attempt UT was about to run in the first quarter against Arkansas.

"When I was doing my steps back, (Arkansas players) actually said 'Watch the fake,' " Palardy said. "I was kind of out of luck there.

"Channing Fugate was supposed to run a corner and by the time I was getting pursued, I had to get rid of the ball. He wasn't even looking at me. I had to throw the ball hoping he would turn around and make an athletic catch or something like that. I did the best I could to try to get it to him."

The incomplete pass wasn't Palardy's only down moment in his first game back from an injury that sidelined him the previous week against Middle Tennessee State. He averaged just 23.5 yards on his two punts thanks to an ugly 12-yarder in the third quarter.

"It was just one of those days. It was one of those days for the whole team," Palardy said. "It was one of those days where no one was feeling it. I wasn't feeling it. It's hard to get a rhythm when we're putting two guys in there.

"It's just one of those days you have to get over and not really look at and frown upon."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NottaVol writes:

What a loser. Just throw away the film and play like it never happened. Too bad Tennessee doesn't play the Barn Boogers this year, it would be one heckuva pillow fight. Tennessee could even run the ball against the Barn.

vollerdash writes:

I can just see in 50 years from now....... the ORANGE DOG motivational video.Move over Knute !!

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to NottaVol:

But we do play them this weekend. Only now they're known as the Commodores.

GloryDays writes:

Ok, all of us UT fans need to go to our happy place and sit and have a postive thought and all of our thoughts of our miserable season will go away!

vollerdash writes:

in response to GloryDays:

ome, ome, ome ,ome ,ome....relax..ome,ome.

vollerdash writes:

Next week Doolittle is going to bring in Sargent Hulka.

feathersax writes:

Vols vs. commode-doors. 'nuff said

jawga writes:

The Red Dawgs will continue to bring negative thoughts to CDD...Murray, Crowell, Mitchell, Charles, J.Jones & Boykin. I think he's totally lost it now.

voloffaith writes:

in response to jawga:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree....woof woof....

Dobervol writes:

A stupid stick Fulmer gave to Al Wilson worked wonders for the '98 NC team, so why not a statue to help this weak-minded bunch get a win over Vandy and keep hope alive for the extra practice time a bowl bid provides? Worth a try.

Bigger_Al writes:

Synergy Stick. Orange Dog. Whatever works.

bigOutfan writes:

You GOT to be kidding.... I wonder, is it a bobble head dog?

CoverOrange writes:

I watched Palardy on his two punts. He doesn't follow through with his foot, ending with it above his head as he should. Barely made it above his waist. Wonder if he is still not 100%.

ReVolver writes:

in response to vollerdash:

Next week Doolittle is going to bring in Sargent Hulka.

The Big Toe!

vollerdash writes:

in response to ReVolver:

The Big Toe!

lol,i gotta watch that movie again now !!!

wallingdad writes:

i hear the witch doctor has some bones. maybe dooley can borrow them

ReVolver writes:

the so-called "fans" here are determined to ignore the emphasis on process, and just wanna take cheap shots. Any excuse to take a cheap shot or tear the man down...doesn't matter what he says, it'll be twisted to something negative.

That same emphasis on process has pushed Alabama into title contention, and Dooley is a branch from that same coaching tree. Just needs some time. And some more talent in the door.

That being said, what the heck is wrong with our O-Line? That is the one serious concern I have, at how they seem to have just backslid and underachieved consistently. Too much of a question mark there for my liking...just seemingly no explanation for it. Gotta look at that area of coaching.

Smokey91 writes:

in response to vollerdash:

Next week Doolittle is going to bring in Sargent Hulka.

Sargent Hulka and his big toe.

wallingdad writes:

in response to ReVolver:

come on....you see NO humor in a coach bringing a ceramic happy dog to have the team feed.....none..not even a smile or chuckle?

ReVolver writes:

in response to wallingdad:

i'm down with feedin the orange dog.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to ReVolver:

You are exactly right. Great post. I have gotten to the point were I can't stand all the negativity, bad mouthing and whining by some of our so called fans. Anyone with just a little sense should know, and should have known,this was going to be a long season. We simply don't have enough talent. I also agree with the last part of your post. I have been saying the last few weeks that our offensive line isn't getting the job done. Before the season began, most of us thought the O-Line would be something the team could depend on. Remember the 2000 yard season Tauren Poole was supposed to have? I can only hope Coach Dooley will make changes with the O-Line coaching. G.B.O.!!!

vollerdash writes:

in response to ReVolver:

i'm down with feedin the orange dog.

Do you think its dung will be orange and white on home games and white and orange on the road ??

pingkr62 writes:

in response to vollerdash:

Good fertilizer either way.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

Statue smatue. ut is an underdog at home to Vandy. That should never happen. So sad.

Voluvr writes:

We got to beat Vandy. I'm also pretty sure we will. We better.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to vollerdash:

I think it will be black and gold this week. I just hope Smokey gets along with him. Better let 'em sniff each other out before gametime. GO VOLS!

GoSmokeyGo writes:

Didn't dooley say no excuses? Palardy better listen up...even when you're not feeling it, winners persevere. They fight through it and find a way...

Classof72 writes:

This is a joke, right?

Palardy said, "....I wasn't feeling it."

Stop feeling it; start punting it. Get over it. I'm glad George Cafego doesn't have to witness this mess.

In a related development, the Vols are teaching the ceramic dog to roll over. It's their new trick.

MilitaryBrat writes:

On VolNation someone has some pictures of the UT practice, which has three pictures of the Orange Dog.

wallingdad writes:

to all those who see no humor in this. please....if this were any other program you would be all over it. admit it.

imagine Vandy having a gold dog on the field. "come on guys...feed the gold dog with good vibes". you would have a field day.

admit it......yeah...there you go....

CCLC writes:

Hang on Vols.... it will get better. Been there!

linebam writes:

in response to NottaVol:

I'd bet that the coaches watched the film in preparation for this week's practice... CDD just thought it better not to break the film down with the team and harp on the negative.

CrankE writes:

No picture.

Really?

underthehill writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

I always despised Bear Bryant due to many of his teams being better than UT..sore loser is what I am..but I respected Bear and when he did lose his first comment would be to the effect the "coaches did not have them prepared to play and would have to do a better job"..I never saw Bear let a player take blame for anything or throw a player under the bus..correct me if I'm wrong..the current UT staff seems to want everyone to know none of the bad things going on have anything to do with the coaches..I can't see it that way..

brokendownoldvol writes:

Nearly two seasons of Dooley's negativity has obviously worn on this bunch. James Franklin on the other hand beams with positive confidence and it has shown in the Dores' play this year. Franklin can only imagine having a roster with no less than 35 4-5 star guys like Dooley has.

holleyab writes:

He is actually losing it.... a ceramic orange dog.... you have got to be kidding me. Maybe they should spend more time game planning and less time shopping for motivational items. This is SEC football, not psychology class. If they lose to Vandy this week in Neyland, mark my words.... there will be HELL to pay.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

With that amount of HEAVY SPIN, anybody would be "broke down".

Football wise, ever heard of that underclassmen/upperclassmen thingy? Ever heard of that 14 shy of a full roster thingy? Ever think maybe MISSING 2 whole classes MIGHT just play a little into the grand scheme of things, maybe a little depth problem here, a little "no uperclassmen" problem there? NO?

Then sorry, all I can see is spin when ALL the facts aren't presented.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

With that amount of HEAVY SPIN, anybody would be "broke down".

Then sorry, all I can see is spin when ALL the facts aren't presented.

Any more excuses for your horrible coaching job Coach Dooley? Vandy too has gone thru 3 coaching changes in 3 years, injuries, attrition. The real difference now is coaching. There's no spin required. Vols do boast a lot more talent than Vandy though.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Only TROLLS and the football challenged could confuse FACTS with excuses. Which are you?

btw, do you even understand what WE are saying when WE say we are missing TWO WHOLE CLASSES? vandy isn't missing TWO WHOLE CLASSES. The have an upperclassmen riddled defense, and about as much on offense. I really believe you're one of the ones that just doesn't understand the obvious. In that case, I'll just feel sorry for your lack of ability to figure out the reality of UT'S current situation.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Know before you post. vandy didn't lose 25 players off of their roster because of two consecutive coaching changes. They weren't left with Fulmer's last class, ranked 35th, and kiffy's only class that is now totally defunked.

I'll never figure out how it's THAT FREAKING HARD to understand. I guess like I said. It takes a TROLL, or a football challenged person not to get it.

wallingdad writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

good grief. it sounds like you are already giving excuses why we will get beat. there are no excuses for losing to Vandy. NONE. that just does not (or is not supposed to)happen. the team and the coach are just going to have to suck it up and dig down deep. I dont care how depleted, how injured, how sorry, how anything UT is...they should always beat vandy

NottaVol writes:

in response to wallingdad:

You are exactly right. Ole Oranges loves to make excuses, she's got a 10 gallon bucket full of them. She just can't come to grips with the fact that Dooley and company will be fired sometime in the next calendar year.

MemphisHog writes:

in response to Classof72:

This is a joke, right?

Palardy said, "....I wasn't feeling it."

I think Dooley taught the team to play dead last week. Hope he's figured out a new trick for this week.

hbryant130#634726 writes:

in response to ReVolver:

ReVolver, you are right, mediocrity is a "process." I hope you have higher standards in your life than you do for the Vols. High expectations seem to be something Vols fans don't have.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to NottaVol:

Dooley and company will be around for about as long as you'll be living in your mommy's basement in Farragut. Which is going to be a looooong time little boy.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to hbryant130#634726:

JUNE 8TH, 2007.

YOU do realize we can see that this is just ANOTHER TROLL screen name that joined on this date, RIGHT? YOU are not fooling ONE FREAKING SOUL on this site. You basically make yourself look like a little child playing little games by briinging these JUNE 7TH and JUNE 8TH screen names out all the time.

Geeeze you have a PATHETIC life.

So what are you accomplishing by flooding the site with POSER names all the time? Going to "bring back Fulmer". Maybe convince a recruit to "go somewhere else". Or could it be that you are just that attention starved? A little hint, when everybody knows your little game, it's pitiful to keep making yourself look foolish.

dtennessee#235123 writes:

What is this? Junior High.

Dooley is not ready for Prime time. He was a panic hire and he's a disaster.

Volvulus writes:

Feed the Orange Dog? Which one of the general's maxims is that? How we have fallen!

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to ReVolver:

thank you ReVolver...its refreshing to see posts like yours.

the fair weather fans are out in abundance. spoiled brats. complain, blah blah blah...whine...blah blah blah....

look at frank beamer at Va. Tech, i believe he had 6 losing seasons his first years.. did he just become a great coach over night?.....too many fickled fans and im embarrased.

Voluvr writes:

Here's a facebook site for those unhappy about the lack of positive sports talk coverage in Middle Tennessee. Occupy Orange Radio.