Cuonzo Martin gives Vols their marching orders for first day in Hawaii

Players will act right in Hawaii

UT coach Cuonzo Martin talks about Vols practice in Hawaii

LAHAINA, Hawaii — Cuonzo Martin gathered his players on Friday before practice to set the tone, reiterating a couple of messages.

First and foremost, Tennessee's men's basketball coach said to remember where you're from, and represent it in appropriate fashion while preparing and playing in the upcoming EA Sports Maui Invitational.

The Vols (2-0) play No. 6 Duke (3-0) at 5:30 p.m. Monday (TV: ESPN2) in a first-round game.

"It's something we talk about every day, not just when we're on trips or at big tournaments,'' Martin said. "We represent Tennessee every day in the classroom, and it's all about how you go about your business. It's how we conduct ourselves on our flights, at the team hotel and in this town, and when we take to the court.''

Martin, along with assistant coach Jon Harris and basketball operations director Houston Fancher, arrived on a different flight a few hours before the rest of the team late Thursday night to get things set up for the players' arrival.

The rest of the team touched down on the island of Maui at about 2:30 a.m. EST (there is a five-hour time difference) Friday and arrived at its team hotel via bus 90 minutes later.

The UT team's final flight on Thursday, from Los Angeles, was a long, uneventful 5½-hour trip. Assistant coaches Kent Williams and Tracy Webster and senior associate athletic trainer Chad Newman accompanied the team throughout the day.

Webster was caught dozing on the plane at one point, mouth agape, when UT center Kenny Hall snapped a photo on his phone. Webster awoke with the flash, joining in the friendly laughs with his players.

The Vols flew from Knoxville to Atlanta before making a tight connection in Los Angeles. The Delta flight was held for the UT players' group; the team rushed in and out of McDonald's at the airport and ate on the plane en route to Hawaii.

The Vols found themselves amid a sea of blue-clad Memphis fans on the flight, which they quickly befriended to the point that some of the Tigers fans were wishing them well as they exited the aircraft.

UT plays again Tuesday (at 2 p.m. or 7 p.m.) against either No. 10 Memphis or No. 17 Michigan, who play on Monday (TV: ESPN2, 3 p.m.). The Vols finish the tournament on Wednesday against an opponent to be determined.

There also were Kansas fans on the flight, as the Jayhawks open on the other side of the Maui Invitational bracket on Monday at midnight against Georgetown. UCLA and Chaminade play in the other game at 9:30 p.m.

Tennessee practiced 8-10 p.m. EST Friday at Lahainaluna High School.

Injury Update: Martin said freshman point guard Wes Washpun was held out of Wednesday's win over Louisiana Monroe as a precaution after suffering a slight leg injury in the days leading up to the contest. Washpun practiced Friday night and will be ready to play on Monday, Martin said.

UT walk-on Tyler Summitt has returned to practice but is still suffering some tenderness in the hand he injured in the preseason.

More Yemi: Martin said freshman center Yemi Makanjoula didn't play against Louisiana Monroe because he opted to go with a smaller lineup.

"Yemi will be ready to play against Duke,'' Martin said. "I think it could be more his kind of game, because they have bigger guys he can get in there and bang with a little.''

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him on twitter at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Hey Mancanjoula!!! You bang the heck out a those Dukies!! WE need men inside on these games. Hall You can do it. Woolridge let's see how good you really are!!(at basketball not music, lol). Miller! It's Miller time in Hawaii.
Maymon!! I think you know what to do.
Golden be the boss out there. C'mon Tatum this is your year. Also let's out bench them.

GGGgggooooooooooooooooooVVVVVVvooooooooooolllllllsssssss! etc, etc.

Oops I almost forgot McCrae!!! McCrae we know you can score. Let's see how many assists you can get too. Also I bet you can't get 5 steals first half! well I can't really bet you but I would if I could and gladly pay up.

BigBadVol writes:

This coach grooms boys into men. They just happen to be pretty good athletes. Coach Martin will make us proud. All it will take is a little patience.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Maymon!! I think you know what to do.

GGGgggooooooooooooooooooVVVVVVvooooooooooolllllllsssssss! etc, etc.

If you don't mind my asking,how old are you?

born2ride writes:

Puhi (pu'-hj) means blow out in Hawaiian.

The Duke game could be ugly.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor got connections with other Witch Doctors in Hawaii, Witch Doctor say that not really help anything except Linkedin(lol) but believe the Vols gonna play hard and a good showing can lead to a good season. Witch Doctor say this program gotta have a good season for recruiting.
Bones never lie.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

If you don't mind my asking,how old are you?

Older.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to born2ride:

Puhi (pu'-hj) means blow out in Hawaiian.

The Duke game could be ugly.

blow it out your barracks bag. I think your posts are ugly.

GerryOP writes:

First big test ... now is the time to show our colors. We Are Tennessee!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to born2ride:

Puhi (pu'-hj) means blow out in Hawaiian.

The Duke game could be ugly.

Ugly wins count just as much in the W column.

volfanmatt writes:

in response to born2ride:

Puhi (pu'-hj) means blow out in Hawaiian.

The Duke game could be ugly.

Hey Borntojerkit, we've told you we don't give a hairy rats @$$ what you think and want you to leave and go support another team. Why don't you and Westknoxjerk go and spend some quality time somewhere together.

eduardo writes:

All of a sudden I have more confidence in Martin than Dooley. Wow

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Maymon!! I think you know what to do.

GGGgggooooooooooooooooooVVVVVVvooooooooooolllllllsssssss! etc, etc.

Now that's what I call excitement. But I think it is McRae not McCrae.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Ugly, I sure hope those are for practice only.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Everyone refrain from throwing Martin under the bus after Duke dismantles the Vols on Monday. It is not his fault. He has been dealt this hand. Give the coach a chance to build the program back! And if Martin can keep this game close, you know he's a good coach because he is far out-manned talent wise and going up against one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

Now that's what I call excitement. But I think it is McRae not McCrae.

Thanks for the spelling info. Sorry about all the excitement. I know it's not popular on here with some. I'll spell his name right when he starts playing team ball.hehe

CoverOrange writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Is that you Griff?

SouthPaVol writes:

We have a good team, but we are gonna find out quickly how this offense does against a quality defense. Coach K's defense is always a disciplined bunch, but TG has an excellent assist-to-turnover ratio. We make a few shots, keep it close, and fight through their runs...who knows? Play your best and have a chance to win at the end--that's all anyone can ask. Go Vols!

Digital5000 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Ehhhhh. I dont like those one bit.

On another note. I will always miss Bruce and wish he were still here. I felt like I lost my big brother when he left.

However, Cuonzo seems like hes no nonsense, and I like it. We need someone like this in our program to whip these boys into shape on and off the court.

Hes our coach now and Im behind him 100%. Showtime Coach!!! Lets D up and get this team back to where we need to be.

-Enjoy Yoselves

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

who does martin think he is,issueing marching orders...this is colledge basketball martin leave those boys alone they raised in the south they know how to act unlike you!!!

okievol1 writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

What a stupid and uneducated post. Thank God we have a MAN like Coach Zo. Nothing wrong with reminding these young men to behave and conduct themeselves in a way that represents the University of Tennessee in an appropriate way. Perhaps if Pearl had done the same we would not have been embarrased by the "hold up". The players obviously respect and appreciate Coach and I applaud the way he is molding our team.

Chartervol writes:

Damned blue plague. I could dig Ray Mears up and shoot him or wandering off the reservation 40 years ago and ordering that mess. The women inherited it when they gave them hand-me-down Mears unis and we've been paying for that slight ever since.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to okievol1:

I agree with okievol1. BigOrangeSmoker's post is very stupid and shows lack of education. Geez!

Colliervol writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

I'm pretty sure Cuonzo thinks he's the coach. And thus is entitled to issue any orders he likes.

P.S.- I wish someone knew how to use punctuation and capital letters. And maybe look up "issuing" or "college" in the dictionary before trying to use them in a sentence. I realize that's asking a lot of some people but please try.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

LMAO... pool you resources and get some mojo (zuma style); maybe that's all we need! LOL

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Who does he think he is? Really?

Got an idea... why don't you go back to the 19th Century where you belong?

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Maymon!! I think you know what to do.

GGGgggooooooooooooooooooVVVVVVvooooooooooolllllllsssssss! etc, etc.

I just hope the refs ALLOW the Vols to bang a bit against Duke's bigs. Otherwise, I could see Hall, Miller, and Makanjuola with three fouls each in the first half. Having watched Duke for ten years, living in North Carolina, they get more favorable calls than any team I have ever seen, except maybe UK at Rupp. Coach K protests EVERY call against Duke, using language that makes O'Neill sound like a choirboy, but I don't recall EVER seeing him get T'ed up for it. Goodness knows, the Vols will have their work cut out for them in any case, but it will be impossible for them to compete effectively if they have to play five-on-eight. I am NOT using the refs as a preemptive excuse, but I am saying that IF the Vols get killed, it will likely be in part because their entire front-line will have fouled out.

FiftyOne writes:

Go Vols...kick the dookey out of those Dukies (pun intended).
I hope they keep this game respectable. I would like to think we made a quality hire in Martin.

69grad writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Say that to his face.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Are you trying to rain on my parade? I smell an upset! I smell a Duke loss! I smell Memphis all the way across the Pacific! I smell UT winning this odd sorta like tourney. Who else is unranked that even has a shot. Nobody! Go UT.

ahem!! We DO need the refs favor. Maybe Hall can play against tall slow guys. Well tall anyhow.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Oh. I get it. You're using humor. At least sarcasm maybe?
btw it's college not colledge. I know 'cause my smellchecker flashed red. Also you could rethank issueing. maybe some captl laetters and sum punctiation???
Oh sorry am I being a smart u no whut? seein as ah frum da south an all

John_10065 writes:

in response to SouthPaVol:

Considering that Coach K is a Knight school coach and Martin has a Big 10 linage, this could be an interesting game. I don't know for how long but it might have the old school Big 10 battles I used to watch when I first moved up into this neck of the woods.

Chartervol writes:

Trust me, I was there. Mears started that Carolina blue stuff back in the 70s. They even wore blue shoes on the road. Looked ridiculous; he should not have been allowed to do that.

I don't know why on earth some people think the women need to "set themselves apart" with their own version of the school colors. It's not supposed to work that way.

Does any other school allow their women to adopt a separate color scheme? I'm asking.