Vanderbilt sees pressure defense as answer to Tennessee Vols quarterback Tyler Bray

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray and tailback Marlin Lane leave the field after a 49-7 loss to Arkansas at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville on Nov. 12, 2011. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS/2011

— Vanderbilt fully expects the return of Tyler Bray on Saturday night in Knoxville.

Tennessee hopes the Commodores are right.

“The reality is, if he’s ready to go, we’d be crazy not to at least give him a shot given the inconsistency we’ve had at that position,” UT Coach Derek Dooley said.

The Vols’ sophomore quarterback has been cleared to practice and is expected to take reps with the first unit this week after missing the past five games with a broken right thumb.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

I hope Bray can pull it off.

SummittsCourt writes:

Expecting Bray to play and stoping Bray is too different things.

Bray may show some rust early, but I expect him to get back to form soon.

This is a home game, it's senior night, it's Vandy... Vols will win by more than you think.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Dang, Tyler will be full of rust and not up to par for this game but by the Kentucky game the VOLS will be on track for a sterling season next year. VOLS 21 DOORS - 2

Sir_Spanky writes:

One dimensional offenses can be hazardous to a QB's health in this conference. Left tackle and the OL line in general - major regression. They'll bring it - kitchen sink and all. Watch your backside.

CRFVols writes:

Changes need to be made. I'm not saying Dooley needs to go, but he needs to seriously evaluate his staff. The youth and talent excuse is getting old. There are other teams out there with just as much or less......and doing a lot better than we are. Like not getting embarrassed on national television.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Beware! Previous result for Vol quarterback with finger injury....everyone forgets the handoff...

MtJ_Orange writes:

#81 gets back on track in this game. 7 rec. 1 TD. Sorry Dores no DVDs this year.

chattavfl86 writes:

in response to CRFVols:

Who? Why is it that our fans insist on calling things excuses when they are just facts? Everyone is disappointed in this season, but why is it so important to people to try and blame everything and everyone for the failure instead of accepting the truth? Its right in front of our faces. We are fielding a team comprised mostly of players who were playing high school ball a year pr two ago. We have a jv team playing the best teams in the country. 18 and 19 year olds playing against guys much older, wiser, and physically developed. Our guys aren't without talent, just experience. Grin and bare it guys. Its tough to accept, so people get tired of hearing it, including myself sometimes, but its just gonna take another year or two for our talent to develop. Until then we just need to face facts, accept it, and move on.

volmania97 writes:

in response to chattavfl86:

Totally Agree!

go_vols84 writes:

I don't understand why I have now read three articles that say. "Tennessee has not scored a TD in the second half since Bray was injured," and, "Worley and Simms combined for 1 TD and 6 INT's since Bray was injured?"

It's not a big deal, and its not that impressive, but I recall Matt Simms throwing a second half TD to Michael Rivera the first drive after the injury. And Worley connected for a TD to Rogers against MTSU (in the first half). Is there a reason nobody is counting the TD by Simms in the Georgia Game? I've seen it in 3 different Tennessee newspapers now. Its like they all just recycle the BS between themselves and never check the facts. "Heck, Patrick Brown wrote it so it must be true, de-ta-dee, copy paste."

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to CRFVols:

List 'em. I dare you.

Oh yeah, don't forget the fact that the NCAA has us slated with the #1 most difficult strength of schedule when you're struggling to defend your position of "other teams with just as much or less..."

Pure bafoonery at its best.

Down_The_Field writes:

tennessee is ranked 3rd in the sec for protecting the quarterback, so i doubt peebody will pull it off.

while on the subject, peebody's defense is ranked 10th in the sec for pass defense while the VOLS are ranked 2nd for passing offense.

VOLS offensive plays will be a 2:1 ratio of pass to rush and it will be a long day for the peebody punks.

VOLS 35 (w/Bray)
punks 17
final

lomas98 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Expecting Bray to play and stoping Bray is too different things.

Bray may show some rust early, but I expect him to get back to form soon.

While I don't disagree the vols will win, not for the reasons you mention. Being at home really hasn't mattered for TN in a while. Other than Cincinatti and big wins over GA and SC in Kiffin's first year, this team hasn't exactly tore it up at home. Senior night is irrelevant. How many seniors do we have? Half don't even play. Senior night won't mean much until this sophomore class are seniors. There will probably be less seniors next year.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to chattavfl86:

Totally agree, sir!!

Some people think that when facts are stated that those are excuses...Next year is when we should see the Vols improve..Players will be older and have more experience plus CDD will have the full allotment of scholarships..And not to mention that BOTH Bray and Hunter will be back.

Smokey says that CDD will probably have to make some staff changes in the off season to help the situation...

voloffaith writes:

Vandy when not making their own tunovers has been creating some. So we need to play clean ball and put the pedal to the metal....GBO!!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to go_vols84:

Actually, Simms to Rivera got the ball to the 1-yard line in the 4th quarter against UGA. Simms then ran it in 2 plays later.

lomas98 writes:

in response to go_vols84:

Nobody is counting the TD pass by Simms because he didn't throw one. He QB sneaked it in. One of the few sneaks we have pulled off successfully.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Translation - We will cheap shot Bray back to the bench by breaking his thumb again.

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Totally agree, sir!!

I agree. I've been disappointed with this season like everyone else, but given the circumstances our record is about right. Next year, if we don't show improvement, we need to look at our HC. For now, I think we have to give Coach Dooley a chance, but changes to the offensive staff should be made at the end of the season. I think any problems on defense are because of lack of depth and speed, not coaching.

Bubba_Knows writes:

If Bray can't go, Vandy wins this one in a run away. We may lose anyway as I have watched Vandy play several times this year. They look better than us.

voloffaith writes:

Think vandy gets the W as much as I dislike saying so. They've played better ball than we have and have held their own against the biggies even though losing in the end. We've got too many question marks in key areas for us to win from arealistic viewpoint. Hope I'm wrong and we pull the "UPSET" on Saturday night! GBO!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

Rare agreement with Phil.

CheckerBoardMeanMachine writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Thats Awful. Tennessee beating Vandy will be called an upset! Awful but Funny!

voloffaith writes:

in response to CheckerBoardMeanMachine:

Thats Awful. Tennessee beating Vandy will be called an upset! Awful but Funny!

I knew when I typed that it would(and should) look "awful" to UT fans. It is what it is....Vegas has as underdog so thus the word "UPSET". Prove vegasamatic wrong I say!!! GO BIG ORANGE!!!

givehim6 writes:

in response to go_vols84:

Yes you are on the mark, and there is a reason KNS and the troll/possers forget some of the facts. It is called over dramatization to try to make the Vols look more worse and Dooley & staff look more dumer. It is a old JR. High trick that troll have been trying to pull on UT fans on here for a few years now. And KNS has always been down on the Vols. So this year every thing has just came to a head, a perfect storm kind of. So KNS and the rest can just say what they want about the Vols, a few try to keep reality in check, but it is a hard job.

givehim6 writes:

in response to cooper65#432178:

I think a real look at a true RB coach this spring is a must!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

Thanks Stone Jack,

Worth checking out. Is there any troll-control there?

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

Has anyone else noticed a pattern of self-doubt and disillusionment in the quotes of both coaches and players this week? I posted earlier this week that many big games are decided on a mental and emotional level and, right now, the Vols sound whipped already. When a team's self-confidence is diminished to the point that they no longer think they can win, they usually don't. In spite of the fact that state pride and a possible bowl game are on the line, I feel that it would be a mistake to play Bray if he is not 100% good to go. If that thumb is reinjured, it could set back his progress for next year by months and then what would have been the point in burning Worley's redshirt? If the Vols are to win this game, they are going to need, among other things, a real attitude adjustment. In addition, they will need the defense to take one to the house; at least a 14 pt. lead by halftime (which will be highly unlikely); for Vandy to make several uncharacteristic mistakes; for the OC either to throw out the same stale, unproductive, predictable playbook or simply call in sick; and for the Vols to get an early Christmas gift in the form of a running game. When all is said and done, I believe, but hope I'm wrong, that Vandy leaves Neyland with a W and that UT fans leave Neyland with a sense of forlorn and futility that not even the holidays will cure. These are indeed tough times, but as I once read: "tough times don't last; tough people do." On a side note, my son-in-law who is a huge Buckeyes fan emailed me today with an article that indicates Urban Meyer has been all but declared as the next OSU coach. Earlier this week, he supposedly met with officials of Arizona but ultimately declined their offer. The Bucks are loaded with talent and with Meyer at the helm, a NC within the next 2-3 years could be very likely. If I am not mistaken, I believe that UT and OSU are scheduled to meet in a few years, and when they do, UM could very easily continue his unbeaten streak agains the Vols.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Absolutely no one on this site cares about your buckeyes. And since you had to vacate all wins from last year because of the "tats fo free" scandal, Ohio St is 0-10 against the SEC in bowl games. Thats just sad.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

Hey Majestic, One of the reasons I enjoy reading these posts is that I often get info that I haven't seen or heard anywhere else. The only reason I provided that info is because several posters have mentioned UM's name as a possibile choice in the future. I'm really sorry if providing such info offends your delicate sensibilities. I'm sure there are a lot of Vol fans living outside of Tenn who don't just keep up with Vol news.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

It would be a National embarrassment if we go this entire season without any SEC wins! Injuries, schedule, youth, depth, whatever. Excuses we should all be tired of.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

You're not worng.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

It probably would not be the first time you were wrong and it no doubt will not be the last, and the same can be said for all of us. I cannot control how you respond to my comments or anyone else's, but I assure you they were not intended for goading anyone. I am not as big a sports fan as you apparently are, but I do enjoy college football and basketball and thoroughly enjoy discussing them with fans of any school. And by the way, why would you hate Meyer--because he never lost to Tenn? I guarantee you that had Meyer,
Spurrier, Saban, or Miles come to Tenn and done for this program what they did for others, we would be singing their praises and defending them til the day we die. I won't respond anymore to your insinuations because I'm sure others don't care to read our exchanges. Suffice it to say, I would like to think that if you were stranded on the side of the road, I would be willing to stop to give you a hand regardless of what state you came from, and hopefully, you would do the same for me. Then again, that might be too much to hope for.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to Pat777:

Reading through some of your 65 posts since Sept. 12th I've come to the OBVIOUS conclusion...

Same WHINE from the same WHINER...

You're just way too easy to spot. I guess with screen names numbering in the 30's plus, it gets hard to muster up some kind of variation.

btw, by "supernova" do you mean you'll hit us with ALL the screen names?

Your "mission" is, was, and will continue to be a FAILURE.

Volunatic writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

I think you are 100% correct about him.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

If Loco plays the rust will show and that aggressive defense will give him fits. Loco plays and throws three uh-ohs. Vandy wins a heartbreaker.

Keep Dooley!

ClemCash writes:

I'm hearing rumors that this is a must-win game for Dooley.

Stay tuned.

CRFVols writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

List 'em. I dare you.

Pure bafoonery at its best.

Fundamentals are still fundamentals. Did you not see the Arkansas punt return? I'm looking at consistency....and our special teams have struggled consistently in every area for the last two years.

It's not that we lost to the powerhouses...I get that. We weren't supposed to win those games. I'm not talking about cleaning house....I'm just saying there needs to be some serious evaluation done. I do believe we should be better in special teams and we should be better in the run game at this point....and we're not.

And what's your excuse for the consistent 3rd quarter let downs? I've listened to former players mention how they don't see how youth is still an excuse given the amount of starts these guys have.

Thanks for the "bafoonery" though.

CRFVols writes:

in response to cooper65#432178:

This is what my point in my earlier post was. There need to be some minor changes. The inept run game is unacceptable at this point. I also think at least some of the special teams struggles should have been fixed by now.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to ClemCash:

I'm hearing rumors that this is a must-win game for Dooley.

Stay tuned.

Absolutely, I for one agree. The folks that signed off on Hamilton hiring Dooley got to be getting real nervous. The experiment fails then they have no one to blame but themselves. I think we all vocally support Dooley but most of us have gut feeling doubts. This is a hire of a no name with no coaching accomplishments.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to chattavfl86:

"99% of all excuses are true, but 100% are unacceptable." - Cris Carter

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

List 'em. I dare you.

Pure bafoonery at its best.

STUPID!

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

SMH Rhis has been a busy day. STUPID!

AllforTenn writes:

in response to CRFVols:

What other team has had the schedule Tennessee has, the key players out at key times? part of Georgia, then LSU, Alabama, S. Carolina, Arkansas without our QB. Georgia suddenly without Hunter. All without Leathers. Then Brewer,etc.
Toughest schedule in nation might just play into it, huh?

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to CRFVols:

Totally agree. Problem is he would have to start from scratch.

Chaney has no clue how to run an offense or run the ball. He can only coach QB's that make him look good. See Drew Brees and Tyler Bray as examples, without those 2 guys his offenses have been mediocre at best, and that spans a long career.

Same on defense, if you review Wilcox resume, it looks good on paper, but if you review his defense statistically in a weak conference (Big West Conference)it was mediocre at best.

It's ashamed we can't get a innovative coach, that can use what he has and make more of his talent with his coaching ability.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

Toughest schedule in nation might just play into it, huh?

LSU has been without a top tier QB for 2 seasons. They fall into wins and still top UT.

Auburn hires a new guy that had a losing record and he makes good staff hires and wins a National title.

See Urban Meyer for same answer, goes to Florida signs Tebow wins 2 titles.

Good coaches find ways to win a few, even without talent.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

We are sure going to see what metal CDD is made of...In Middle Tn I'm seeing the Vandy shirts/flags flying etc. I will have to move. I just keep telling myself it want happen.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Totally agree. Problem is he would have to start from scratch.

It does not take a rocket scientist to see when TB went down Chaney had no run plan to fall back on. I'm all for Dooley changing both OC and DC. Well I reserve DC until after the Vandy game.

CRFVols writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

Toughest schedule in nation might just play into it, huh?

I didn't dispute the schedule, no one could. I knew we weren't going to win as many games as most people thought. I'm not necessarily looking at the scoreboard...I'm looking at things that should get better and adjustments that should be made and show no matter who we're playing....and win or lose. There are consistently bad things about the team. Take the run game for example. It has been substandard against even weaker teams on our schedule when it should be getting better. In my opinion, the part of Dooley's staff responsible for that should be evaluated and possibly some changes made.

Just my opinion.

GhostofRobertNeyland writes:

in response to volmania97:

Totally Agree!

A voice of sanity in an insane cyberworld. Well said!! 40+ years Vol fan!