Derek Dooley: 'We got a break' on field goal

Another terrible field-goal attempt Saturday night turned into a blessing during Tennessee's 27-21 overtime victory against Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium.

UT sophomore place-kicker Michael Palardy lined up for a 23-yard field-goal try with 6:32 left and the Vols trailing 21-14.

Palardy drilled the kick right into the line, and Vanderbilt defensive tackle Colt Nichter was credited with the block. At about the same time, Vanderbilt's Sean Richardson plowed into Palardy a split-second after the kick.

A flag was thrown, and Richardson was called for running into the kicker. Vanderbilt challenged the ruling — saying that Richardson touched the ball, which would negate the call.

After the review, officials ruled that Richardson didn't touch the ball. The Commodores were penalized 3 yards. UT had fourth-and-goal at the 2.

"I couldn't put the field-goal team out there again after that," UT coach Derek Dooley said. "I just wanted to go for it, and if we didn't get it, they would have gotten it on the 2, so that's why I went for it."

On the next play, Tyler Bray threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Da'Rick Rogers on the right sideline. Rogers was glad Dooley went for the touchdown.

"At that point, I was just thinking this is the first blocked kick that I've ever been excited for," Rogers said. "I was just like, 'Thank God he put the offense back out there, and we made a play for him.' "

Dooley had another good one-liner about Palardy's blocked field goal.

"It wasn't a block," Dooley said. "It was a kick up the center's tail field goal (attempt), but they ran into him, so we got a break. We weren't dead there yet because there was still time, but it would have been tough."

Orange Dog: Dooley will probably be bringing the orange dog back to practice this week.

Early last week, Dooley brought the ceramic-type dog to practices as a symbol of positivity during a time when the Vols were reeling from a 49-7 loss at Arkansas that left them 0-6 in the SEC.

Dooley said his players kept a positive mindset all the way through the Vanderbilt game, and he gave some of the credit to the orange dog.

"I kept telling them I saw a lot of good in them and I've seen a lot of good in them the last six weeks that a lot of people can't see, and I kept believing in them and they kept believing in themselves," Dooley said. "It's real easy to get lost in that. It's toxic all the negativity that can surround a program, and it's hard on a young man. It's hard on adults to be insulated from it, but the old orange dog did its magic. They were positive all night. We never tucked our tails and put our head down tonight, and there was a lot of opportunities to."

Johnson's Pick: UT linebacker Austin Johnson's interception of Jordan Rodgers' pass in the first quarter was his fourth of the season — the most for a Vols linebacker since Jackie Walker got five in 1970.

"We knew they liked to go to 87 (wide receiver Jordan Matthews) and they liked those crossing routes and stuff," Johnson said, "so we were just in the right place at the right time and made the play."

It was Johnson's fourth interception in five games.

Gordon's Big Play: Eric Gordon's 90-yard interception return for a touchdown in overtime was the first defensive score in overtime in college football since Sept. 9, 2005, when Ohio defensive back Dion Byrum intercepted a pass by Tyler Palko of Pittsburgh and ran it back for a TD.

Clear Starter: Freshman tight end Cameron Clear got his first career start when he lined up in a double tight end set.

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound Clear played in the 10 previous games and had one catch.

Simms Move: Quarterback Matt Simms probably got a few laughs with when he was announced along with the rest of the UT seniors while running out of the 'T.'

Simms made gestures for the crowd to cheer for him before shaking Dooley's hand, then rubbing the coach's well-kept hair.

Bowl Reps: Representatives from the Liberty Bowl, the Music City Bowl, and the Chick-fil-A Bowl were at Saturday's game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

spacehistorian writes:

I will take the breaks falling our way after being snake-bit by bizarre plays and bad officiating since Dooley arrived. Maybe this is a sign from the football gods that our luck has finally changed. I hope so because Big Orange Nation could really use a great finish to this season to prepare us for what should be a much more successful campaign next year.

TheFuj writes:

The question is--why were we going for a FG to begin with?
1. We were down 7
2. We don't score much/any in 2nd half anyway.
3. On the 4 yard line
4. I believe under 7 minutes to play in the game.
5. Palardy has been known to miss a few.
Why was Dooley going for the FG?

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to TheFuj:

The question is--why were we going for a FG to begin with?
1. We were down 7
2. We don't score much/any in 2nd half anyway.
3. On the 4 yard line
4. I believe under 7 minutes to play in the game.
5. Palardy has been known to miss a few.
Why was Dooley going for the FG?

Good question. At the time I figured someone might be looking at Palardy's ankle so he was unavailable. But Dooley's comment does wreak of indecision.

Bubba_Knows writes:

The "O" in Dooley's name stands for Obvious. Mr. Obvious!

TheFuj writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

I think the plan was to kick it off our centers butt, then Palardy catch the ball and run it in for 7.
Really have to question why we were even kicking a FG. No way Saban/Meyer/Petrino or any other coach would have gone for a FG if they were coaching same players. It worked out for us, but just not good coaching decision.

UTKin1992 writes:

I agree with many of you...I couldn't figure out exactly why we were kicking a field goal in the first place. None the less, I couldn't think of another team more deserving of a break than us...

huntined#565710 writes:

Hope this game was Palardy's LAST GAME TO KICK FOR TENN. Heck,any AVG. coach should see that he is just not a good kicker period...

CrankE writes:

Ceramic Orange Dog (COD) is workin like mofos! Bamboo is almost ready to grow at The Hecktagon!

As Tim Priest said (after he'd calmed down from nis conniption), George Cafego can rest in peace.

dislikethemtrolls writes:

in response to PatientlyWaiting:

Patientlywaitingformydiapertobechanged.

volman2008 writes:

in response to TheFuj:

The question is--why were we going for a FG to begin with?
1. We were down 7
2. We don't score much/any in 2nd half anyway.
3. On the 4 yard line
4. I believe under 7 minutes to play in the game.
5. Palardy has been known to miss a few.
Why was Dooley going for the FG?

DOOLEY,was playing to loose,not to win,also when during the first half,with 50 seconds left backed up on the 7 yard line,we thru the ball 3 straigt times,take a knee a get to the half.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to PatientlyWaiting:

Time for you to switch to another screen name and agree with your gap-toothed self.

I hope you lost a bundle. Your bookie is gonna enjoy his vacation in Hawaii.

volfan2002 writes:

Justice was served Gordon makes a great play and some stupid Ref blew his whistle? I am sure he was to ashamed to admit it after watching the replay.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

My honest oppinion it was a terribly played game by both teams. When Vandy starts out on the SEC road with a fumble,INT and a missed field goal in the first three drives and still makes it to overtime, UT has nothing to be happy about. Jordon Rodgers looked like a QB with 6 starts last night, and Bray was horrible also. Neither team should have been happy with that ugly game of constant mistakes. But I gotta say, there is no doubt Vandy has caught UT in football and stands head and shoulders above them in Basketball and Baseball. Just glad Bray played so Dooley has one less excuse this morning for letting Vandy have 4 turnovers, two missed field goals, and a freak play on a kick that should have never been attempted, and still have to win at home in overtime. I will give credit to Wagner for reading Rodgers eyes and jumping the slant route to keep Vandy out of field goal range beofre the end of regulation. Then Dooley leats the clock run to two seconds, calls a time out, and kneels on the ball. (why even call the timeout with 2 seconds?) He does not deserve a win over KY and a Bowl, especially after playing Buffalo to get there. And just so you idiots know I have one screen name and feel after this game I have nothing more to say about the sinking of the once proud UT program. You bought a KMart coaching staff, and it shows every week. You are now happy to beat Vandy at home after losing to bama,LSU and Arkansas by over 100 combined points. There really is no more proof needed, I hope UT keeps this staff for 10 more years. The SEC needs a new bottom feeder from the state of tennessee.

arkyvol writes:

my humble opinion. the sec west is going to dominate for the foreseeable future. saban, miles, and petrino know how to coach and want to win. doofus and moosecrap aren't going to make the vols and the gators relevant. unless another herschel walker shows up, georgia will never get through a season unscathed. steve superior is collecting retirement brochures. as for us, there are worse things i guess than being the sec equivalent of illinois or ucla.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

You've never given an honest opinion in your entire trolling career.

I hope your stomach churns on Dooley Pie for the next 20 years.

Today would be the perfect day to repent and salvage the rest of your wormy life.

Do it for Tyler.

born2ride writes:

With this upset win of Vandy we are stuck with Dooley for another two years. We will beat UK and go 6-6 and to a tiny bowl. It is a shame our fans accept finishing last in the SEC as being successful.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

I just don't really understand it..The kicker that was called in from the frat house is the only kicker I've seen this year that got the ball up in the air. Has it got something to do with the coaches looking bad because the guys they recruited, are worst than a walk on? BTW, please get rid of those stupid looking orange pants. The orange uniform pants need to go too...

TommyJack writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

Agree that CDD should be arrested by the fashion police. Pants horrible. Grey top worse.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

He needs a straw chapeau in orange.

Just sayin..

Now on to Kaintuck...

tnbigg writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

He needs a straw chapeau in orange.

Just sayin..

Now on to Kaintuck...

Maybe we can establish a super committee to make that decision... 6 for and 6 not so much for...

givehim6 writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

Say what you want about Palardy I'm glad we had him over Vandy's guy. Really I do hope Palardy & Darr get some kind of special training over the spring.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to givehim6:

Hard to believe these kids were the no. 1 kicker and no. 1 punter in their recruiting class.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

I hope Dooley has more sense than Fulmer and will make some coaching changes. We need a secondary coach bad. Gordon and Waggner should be at corner. Lanier, Coleman and Teague need some HS coaching on how to cover a deep pass. The offensive line needs a coach that will tie a rope on their face masks and around their wastes to teach them not to stand straight up and try to run block. The play calling is the worst I have ever seen in college football. I see at least ten players playing the wrong position.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

in response to born2ride:

That was the worst thing about winning this game.

lyafarre writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

Who would you replace him with? Seriously, what's your long-term plan for the field goal unit?

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to born2ride:

don't say "our". You're not a Vol fan

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Good post Rocky Mountain. But loser trolls like Handicapped are on on this site for one reason but to instigate and stir the pot.

lomas98 writes:

Dooley finally won a game as an underdog. Glad a break finally went our way. Never seen a coach with so much bad luck happen to him. I agree with others on some questionable decisions Dooley made. Glad we won the game and I know talent level is low, but if we were stocked with 5 star players I question dooleys ability to lead to more than 8 wins.

Colliervol writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Even for an ardent Fulmer supporter (which I was), there was no question that he had to go. Besides, if he was so great, why haven't all these schools been lining up to hire him in the last three years? Have you heard of even ONE? I haven't.

He was certainly a GREAT recruiter as evidenced by the number of NFL players we had during the "Glory Years" from 1997 thru 2001. But even a blind Fulmer fan would have to admit that the talent pool got shallower every year after that until it finally bottomed out. And that's why Dooley is left with the shambles that we have now. If you can't recognize that, there's no sense wasting anymore of my precious time. I'm giving it till year 4 before starting to figure out if we've got a coach or not. If we don't, we'll punt and try again.

lyafarre writes:

In response to all of the posts saying, "replace Palardy!" "replace Darr!" "fire Dooley!":

Replace them with who?

Palardy and Darr were outstanding in high school and still are in practices. We could throw a scholly at another pair of outstanding high schoolers (who could also suck come gametime) or work on getting the ones we already have to kick as well in games as they do outside of them.

My point is, we get this mindset as fans that the solution to any problem is "throw away what we've got and go get a new one." Well, things don't really work like that outside of football, and we're kidding ourselves if we think they do in it. Sometimes you've just got to deal with what you've got and figure out how to make it work the way it's supposed to. Heck, you don't go out and get a new car because it starts acting up....you figure out what's wrong and fix it.

And I don't really even want to address the "fire Dooley" stuff because I'm convinced most of them are just trying to stir people up, but I will anyway. I mean, how can you be calling for the coach to be fired just because he hasn't been able to instantly turn the high-school caliber team he inherited into an SEC powerhouse in only his second year? Don't you realize that the whole coaching carousel fiasco is what damaged this team so much in the first place? What, we're going to keep getting a new coach every two years until we find one who has instant magic success? Good luck finding coaches willing to sign up for that. Imagine that job interview, "and by the way, Coach, we're gonna fire you if you're not competing with Alabama for the SEC title in your 2nd year."
If your opinion is that Dooley's a bad coach, then fine, but here's why I disagree:
1. He brings quality players into the program who aren't going to flunk out or have legal issues or do any of the many things that can poison a team. A good 3 star player on the field is a lot more useful to you than a great 5 star player who's found a way to get kicked off the team.
2. He's brought coaches into the program who are focused on developing the 3 star players they have and utilizing the talent of the 4 and 5 star kids.
And that's it. If he does those two things well, he'll build a good team. But it takes time, and you're gonna have some losses while you're putting all of those young guys out there.

Colliervol writes:

As far as "getting a break" goes, I am not the least bit bashful in accepting a bit of good fortune after all the bad luck this team has had in the last two year with freak plays and injuries.

Note to Coach Franklin: Sorry Coach, S--- Happens.

lyafarre writes:

in response to TheFuj:

The question is--why were we going for a FG to begin with?
1. We were down 7
2. We don't score much/any in 2nd half anyway.
3. On the 4 yard line
4. I believe under 7 minutes to play in the game.
5. Palardy has been known to miss a few.
Why was Dooley going for the FG?

It's not like this was a clear cut thing, where going for the TD was the easy decision. Say you go for a TD but don't get it. Now Vandy can put the game away with a field goal, and you've demoralized your team because they're coming off the field empty-handed. Sure, Palardy's been off, but so has our running game and Bray's been inconsistent from play-to-play.

volgrog#210164 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Enough already.
I'm pretty tired of supposed TN fans talking about Fulmer, or Kiffin, or Majors. They aren't coaching at TN right now.

I'm pretty tired of suppoed TN fans rooting for TN to lose so that we can get a new coach.

I'm equally tired of supposed TN fans ripping Fulmer for what he did as I am tired of them ripping Dooley for what he has done.

The current team has 2 seniors that contribute on the field so I'm not ready to fire Dooley when he doesn't have a fair representation of what a real team looks like. With 3 coaching changes in the last 4 years, this is what you get. We, the TN community, made this mess. Suck it up and live with it. If Dooley isn't producing better results next year and the year after that, fire him. Otherwise shut up because it doesn't help recruiting and it won't help the program.

Nuthinbutorange writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Thanks, RMV, for calling this clown out. He's typical of the gutless, sniveling, coward trolls who post garbage on here. Nice post.

Good win, Vols! Now let's beat the 'Cats and get some more practice time out of a bowl bid.

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Fulmer WOW! RockyMountainVol, that was AWESOME!!!!!

bigOutfan writes:

Sure was good to get a win in the SEC. I thought they fought hard. Had some breaks go their way for a change.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good and right now the Vols need all the luck they can get. I just hope somehow someway somebody can start working with the kickers on this team! Do they even have a kicking coach? Sure doesn't look like it... My goodness they need help!

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Vanderbilt is a Dutch word which means "almost." Good luck next year losers. We will hang 50 on you next season with Bray, Hunter, and Rogers back. It's gonna be fun watching lowly Missouri wipe the floor with you Ivy-league wannabes. Would never send my kid to Vandy. What a rip-off and a mediocre college experience. Oh yeah, your cheerleaders are nasty. Tell them to shave their unibrows.

Tru138 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Hidden in that really long paragraph is the sentence ...after this game I have nothing more to say about the sinking of the once proud UT program."

Nothing more to say? That's a lie.

deputy658 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

THE VOLS will be in Nashville next year and beat the DOREmats by 4 TD ,you can take it to the bank.GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

TheFuj writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Not lost, but got destroyed. Played 3 decent quarters out of 12 against those 3 teams. HAVE to have a GREAT recruiting year. Not good, but great.

taylorsvolfan writes:

We just need to be thankful that Fowler missed two FG's for Vandy. I saw the boy's parents coming out of Bass Pro Shop this morning and I almost told them to tell their boy thanks.

volfaninutah writes:

I have been trying to figure out the why Palardy is getting blocked on field goals. He just doesn't seem to be trying to kick it hard. He looks as though he's kicking chip shot field goals. He gets no height on the ball. You watch other kickers and it looks like they're trying to kick 20 rows deep, no matter how far out they are. Style ain't working...kick the dang ball .....HARD!!!

volfanz writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I do think that the poor play on Vandy's side was due to some intent and aggressive defensive pressure. Excusing some lack of consistency with our defensive backs, our defense played pretty well in comparison to how other teams defended against Vandy this year. Our offense could still improve, but I expected some rust out of Bray.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I am hoping for two statements out of your usually senseless tirade to hopefully come true.

"I have nothing more to say..."

"I hope UT keeps this staff for 10 more years."

Both of those coming true would be a godsend to us real UT fans.

Myrtlevol writes:

Whip Kentucky and get to a bowl! Extra practices for the young Vols is huge!

Sovol writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Great post. Well thought out.