Duke has too much firepower for Vols, 77-67

Blue Devils too much in 2nd half for cold-shooting Vols

Brian Spurlock/KemperLesnik

Brian Spurlock/KemperLesnik Tennessee's Jeronne Maymon battles for a rebound with Duke's Ryan Kelly during the teams' Maui Invitational game Monday in Lahaina, Hawaii.

Cuonzo Martin after UT's loss to Duke

LAHAINA, Hawaii — Tennessee couldn't find a spell to vanquish Duke's Maui magic on Monday afternoon.

As it turned out, it might have only required a few more easy makes for the Vols near the basket.

Instead, the Blue Devils' size and talent prevailed down the stretch, and Duke remained perfect in the EA Sports Maui Invitational with a 77-67 win before a sea of blue-clad fans in the 2,800-seat Lahaina Civic Center.

The No. 6 Blue Devils (5-0) shot 48.1 percent from the floor to improve to 13-0 all-time in the tournament and advance to play No. 15 Michigan (4-0) at 7 tonight (ESPN).

The Vols (2-1) play rival Memphis (1-1) at 2 p.m. Tuesday (TV: ESPN2). The Tigers, ranked No. 8, fell to the Wolverines 73-61 earlier Monday.

"It's going to be a tough and physical game against them,'' said UT power forward Jeronne Maymon, who recorded a double-double in the loss to Duke with 14 points and 12 rebounds. "The best team will win.''

Maymon received one of the best compliments a player can get, as Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski stopped him in the hallway to shake his hand.

"You played a helluva game, son,'' said Krzyzewski, the winningest coach in Division I men's basketball history with 905 victories.

Tennessee guard Trae Golden had 13 points, but it wasn't an outing he'll want to remember. Golden was limited to 20 minutes, battling foul trouble en route to two assists and three turnovers.

Jordan McRae (11 points) and Cameron Tatum (10 points, four assists) scored in double figures for the Vols, who shot 41.4 percent from the floor and were 0-for-8 shooting beyond the 3-point arc.

"A big key to the game, one of our main things, was to limit their threes, they've been shooting a lot of 3-point shots,'' said Krzyzewski, who obviously noted UT had shot a scorching 49.1 percent (26 of 53) beyond the 3-point arc in its first two games.

"We beat really a good team today,'' Krzyzewski said. "They played really hard, together, that's a heckuva win for our team.''

Freshman Austin Rivers led Duke with 18 points, while Ryan Kelly and Seth Curry added 17 apiece.

The Vols were effective from the free-throw line, hitting 19 of 24, but there were too many missed opportunities for UT to pull off the upset in its first meeting with Duke in 31 years.

"When you miss easy baskets, it takes the air out of your sails,'' UT coach Cuonzo Martin said. "But the guys did a great job competing. I was proud of the effort. The next step is doing the little things consistently to win those type of games.

"This is a great lesson for our guys against a great program.''

UT came out the aggressor, and led by as many as five points in the first half when McRae sliced to the basket to make it 21-16 at the 11:31 mark.

Duke stayed poised, answering with an 8-0 run to go up 24-21 on a pair of Kelly free throws.

The teams traded the lead six times more before Duke closed the half on another 8-0 run sparked by a pair of Rivers' 3-pointers and capped by Curry's drive to the basket that made it 39-33.

"They did a good job attacking off the bounce,'' Martin said. "I don't think it was a case of us being intimidated. It was a matter of carrying out assignments.''

UT made its final rally, a 6-0 burst, to pull within 55-53 with 9:28 left in the game on a pair of Golden free throws.

Duke answered with a 10-2 spurt to go up 65-55 for its first double-digit lead of the game with 6:41 left.

The Vols didn't get closer than eight the remainder of the game.

Tennessee, despite its missed opportunities near the basket, outscored the Blue Devils in the paint, 40-32.

"We missed a lot of open bunnies right around the rim,'' said Maymon, who was 5-of-14 shooting. "I don't know if we were putting it too hard off the glass or too soft up there, but we missed a lot of them.''

The Vols finish the tournament on Wednesday against a yet-to-be-determined opponent at 5 p.m. (TV: ESPN2) with a win Tuesday or at 2:30 p.m. (TV: ESPNU) with a loss.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vols4Ever writes:

Still love our team, our coach and our effort. 0 for never from 3 point land is tough to overcome. Plus Trea out of 1st half.

GBO and beat Tiger High twice in one season.

tenndave writes:

UT Basketball is alive and well. If Coach can teach our big guys how to hit some of the layup we missed and find someone to shoot a 3 we will be okay. As it is we wil win alot of games. GO Vols

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor outstanding effort by the Vols. Witch Doctor say if they continue to play this hard we gonna be alright with Zo.
Bones never lie.

TopTenn writes:

Great effort and energy today. We must finish around the basketball. GBO!!

abnerPeabody writes:

10 missed layups spell defeat to a team that played well otherwise. Duke will improve as the season goes deeper into the schedule. Will Tennessee? Not great but good coaching tonight.
If Martin can improve from so many three star recruits,he may turn out to be a keeper.

movinonup writes:

Anybody thinking that we are not going to win any games this year did not see the team that I just did. Great effort - it's going to be fun to watch as this year unfolds!

born2ride writes:

The Vols played better than expected. We got a moral victory - losing to Duke by 10 instead of 20 or more.

It was easy for us to make three pointers against Greensboro and Monroe. It is a lot different when there is a defender in your face. First time we did not make a 3 pointer in a long time.

This game may be like our season. Play hard at first but fade away at the end. We don't have the depth or talent this year. We play wild and out of control.

We can keep it close again against Memphis and beat Chaminade if we lose.

Go Big Orange!

theoldbear writes:

I did not see the game, but when you lose to Duke by just ten points, and when you actually had a lead on Duke, and closed it to 2 in the second half, you played some basketball!

The Basketvols will win some games, they'll lose some games, but they are going to play hard, and give it what they've got to give.

VOLFROMNC writes:

Not that we would have won anyway, but Duke got there usual love. They always get the calls, especially late in the game. Great effort Vols.

Bubba_Knows writes:

I was extremely impressed with Coach Martin's offensive flow. Much better than Pearl's half court offense. Defensive pressure was as promised. Inside game shows some grit. Vols were out manned badly but hung in there. Very glad I was wrong about this team. Amazing what good coaching can do.

tnvolfan98 writes:

I hate when Tennessee loses at anything, but I do love effort, hustle and heart! The Vols played hard and kept the game within reach. A 3-pointer or two would have been nice. Too bad that string of games with a 3 pointer has ended. Tell you what, Maymon is playing the way I thought he would when I saw him last year. Keep it up big fella! Go VOLS!

poppatock writes:

Dear ESPN, I hope Michigan crushes your Blue Devils.

GBO!!!

VolunteerLifer writes:

All the experts said that this team would suck. Well, this team doesn't suck. I love how hard they play. They stayed with Duke for more than 3/4 of the game and , yes, they lost by ten. But you could see how much this team will improve as the season goes, and you can tell this team will be better - maybe much better - than predicted by the know it all sportswriters.

If Hall and McRae steadily improve their games, and if Woolridge continues his improvement, this could be a darn good club.

SouthALVol writes:

I didn't get to see the game, but in reviewing the stats it looks like the Vols played a good game in defeat. There were only 12 turnovers. They had 10 offensive rebounds and 9 assists. Almost shot 80% from the line. The only difference between UT & Duke was UT's 0-8 from three point range. You can't play much better than that. Not being one for moral victories, I have higher expectations than I did. I must confess I thought we would be hammered today.

Bubba_Knows writes:

If you take that Rivers kid out of the game, this game may have turned out differently. What a player!

AlpharettaVol writes:

For the most part I didn't think we played out of control. Our lack of size continues to be a problem. Overall, though, I was pretty pleased with our effort against one of the perennial college basketball powers. I think we will win more than many expect this year. Coach Martin is going to be a winner.

HtownVol writes:

Love the effort by UT.

My thing is..

Why does McBee play? Cant score and on D if his man gives him a head fake he falls for it every time. He cant guard ANYONE!

I said it last season, why does Maymon think he is a SG? He jacks up so many jumpers, and he cant shoot. Heck he cant even make it in the paint.

When UT takes a good shot they can play with great teams, they just have a bad habbit of jacking up horrible shots.

Coach Martin has UT playing with more intensity than they have in a long time and he will have UT winning a lot of games.

I really think UT has the perfect coach right now. If he can recruit then UT will be back very soon.

Please play the best players and stop tacking horrible shots. Other than that I love what I am seeing!

Oh, ESPN sure loves to show replay after replay of DUKE highlights, man it got old. And the refs gave every close call to Duke but that is what we as UT fans are used to.

GO VOLS

tennrich1 writes:

Stating the obvious but great effort and poise. Hitting free throws will be crucial as we play an aggressive style. I must admit I thought Duke would blow us out.....Maybe I need to believe what everyone who know basketball(not most of us on this site) says about Coach Martin....He is an incredible hire and will keep Tennessee basketball in the conversation....will we win against Memphis? Maybe not...by the way...how does a team with that much talent look like they did today? Just wondering???? Pastner still has a lot to prove....no excuses here...his team is loaded....Maybe top two or three talented teams in NCAA....

STLVOLS writes:

When all the whiners were complianing when CCM was hired, I kept trying to get message across that he is good coach.

His Missouri State team gave Vols fits last year in Knoxville. Also, I followed him when he was at Missouri State.

Wait til he gets some of the St. Louis and Chicago talent. There is a lt of high level BB talent in STL metro. More so than Memphis. STL metro much bigger than Memphis

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

Not much of a round ball man.
Haven't followed it much for about 30 years or so, and I only watched the second half.
All that being said, from reading the 'Doom &Gloomers' for the past few months, I was SURE Duke was going to beat us by about 150.

Guess they were wrong, huh?

beetlebomb7 writes:

2 bad things : Woolridge >>>> no defense, Every time we close in on Duke he enters game and down we go. Sit him or let him go Rapping.
We get down 10 3 mins to go and we try to match them 2 for 2? I know we miss 8 threes earlier but at some point we got to shoot 3's. All it takes is one to light the fire at times.

Its_Goooood writes:

Now that sanctions aren't hanging over our heads Coach Zo can start recruiting . If the idiots that have not given him a chance before coaching his first game don't think that matters they are in for a surprise

tennrich1 writes:

in response to SouthALVol:

While certainly not scoring from three hurt, but we miss at least 8 shots point blank at the goal basically uncontested that would have helped us build a larger lead in the first half...free throw shooting a positive for sure...

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to SouthALVol:

Vols might have led at half had it not been for two wild shots and a charging foul right before the half. They led several times in the first half and were down by only 4 with about 8 minutes left in the game. Very impressive showing. Fluid offense and great shot selections for most of the game. High intensity defensive pressure. Toughness inside. And great free throw shooting. Coach Martin has already far exceeded my expectations as a coach.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Love the effort by UT.

My thing is..

GO VOLS

"If he can recruit then UT will be back very soon."

Back???? Where have we gone??? Season just starting...we dont know if we've gone anywhere yet or not....

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Agree on some of those inside misses, but it is tougher to hit those when you are going up against a strong inside game like Duke has. You tend to rush and alter your shots rather than taking it straight up and concentrating.

lomas98 writes:

Good effort, lost to a better team. Unfortunately the schedule this year has a lot of teams that are better. Good start though. I think Golden will win some games for us this year. Mcrae will make some great plays and some bone headed ones. Woolridge is still terrible. Kenny Hall is lost. Maymon played well. Not sure why he couldn't play ahead of Steven Pearl last year, nevermind. I like the Nigerian guy, pretty good size and will block some shots this year, just don't expect any offense. Tatum played like a seasoned guy. To answer a post above, Mcbee plays because he is really the best shooter althought he isn't great. He hit 5 the previous game but I think he had only 1 attempt today. Duke was not going to give us any threes, not sure if we couldn't set up a play or we were just scoring in the paint. Watching this team makes me think if it had Tobias, they could win some ball games. Not going to predict either way based on one game against a good opponent but I think they could win more games than expected. Still will be hard to finish better than 4th in the east.

bosscat writes:

I wonder how much money born2rude lost on this game? He predicted Duke by 50 before the game--the betting line was 11. I'm sure he put his money where his bad mouth was. He talks about "we" and "us" and throws in an occasional "GBO", but his comments are poison. Don't drink what he gives you--it will kill you.

STLVOLS writes:

Ya, just would not listen. Again, I kept telling the former whiners that CCM is not only good coach but can now start attracting high level recruits.

He is well known in St. Louis and Chicago. If you want to see some real H/S talent, check out STL and Chicago. CCM will get some of these guys up here.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

i agree, doc. if golden plays another 10 minutes, we go 3 for 8 from the arc instead of 0 for 8, it's a much closer game at the end.

i like zo's attitude. in the post game he said, "we didn't come out to compete with duke, we came out to beat duke."

he hates to lose and i like that.

Colliervol writes:

in response to poppatock:

Dear ESPN, I hope Michigan crushes your Blue Devils.

GBO!!!

Yep, the thing that irks me about that subject is what I just saw on Sportscenter. They led off the highlights with a statement that UT played them really tough and then promptly reeled off about 10 Duke highlights and not ONE play by the Vols. Is it any wonder that the universe despises Duke?

On a separate matter, the reports of the demise of the basketball program may have been premature. Cautiously, I like what I see from Coach Martin. At least they are hustling and look like they care about competing which can go a long way when you are limited on talent.

One_in_West_Knox writes:

What the H-E-(double hockey sticks) is it with hand-check fouls (especially with Kenny Hall)?? Maybe better and higher-ranked teams may commit fewer of them, or is it that the refs call more of them on not-so-very good and lower-ranked teams??

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to AlpharettaVol:

I agree. Nowhere near as out of control as last year. This team played well together. Passed well, drove well, and passed well again to get some great looks. Tatum and the Marquette transfer took bad shots right before the half and Duke got hot from the 3's at the end of the 1st half. Other than that, the 1st half was nearly flawless from an execution stand point. We did miss a few inside we should have hit, but several of these inside shots were contested or the defense closed quickly to rush our shots. Very well coached game!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

I'd just like to point out to all the naysayers that were convinced our team wasn't even worthy to share the same floor with Duke.... I said no one knows how this team's going to do; but if today was any indication, this team's going to be fine. Lesson learned: stop announcing that the sky is falling just because we have a new coach.

RockVegas writes:

I watched the game,we missed alot of easy shots.I thought we would shoot more 3's than we did.I thought we got a few bad calls,but we were playing the dukies I should have known....(huh)?Overall I think we did pretty good,and I think we will be a better team than everybody thinks....GBO

GerryOP writes:

Once they got over the "Holy crapola ... we're playing Duke in Hawaii!" shock, our basketVols played well! Don't think anyone should doubt Coach Zo's coaching ability.

I'm sticking with my predictions ... our basketVols will win more than they lose and they will finish better than 11th in the SEC.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Yep, sort of difficult for a 6 foot 6 Maymon and a limited Kenny Hall to battle three guys 6-10 or better. The dude with the name I can't spell had a moment or two though and may help down the road.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to lomas98:

Good observation. Tobias would have helped losen up the 3 point shot. Teams usually had to help out on him so much that it opened up other spots around the paremeter. Don't think he misses those inside shots either.

fpcoach writes:

Great 1st 17 minutes but got a little sloppy before the half. Cam needs to play like a senior and not force bad shots. We have the right coach if he can recruit. GBO

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Some of us were announcing the sky was falling because we didn't have the players. I think Coach Zo has done an awesome job of improving the players we do have and coaching them to play as a team. The intensity is for real. Coach expects a lot on both ends of the floor. Intensity and effort are there and that is all you can ask for.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to fpcoach:

He can recruit. Trust me!!!!!!!

He grew up in East St. Louis. He has a lot of credibility with these young players and was good at Purdue.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to Colliervol:

You think that is bad. I am 6'1" and had to go up against a guy 7'1" in highschool. While my vertical was above average, I was no match for this giant. I know a thing about rushed altered shots. He sent a few of my shots to the cheap seats. Your right - even 4 inches can make a big difference especially if the taller player has length.

PennVol writes:

Not bad at all. Wish we could've hit a few 3s.

beetlebomb7 writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Think about it. WHEN has ANY ESPN affiliated channel shown ANY support for ANY U.T team in ANY sport?

lomas98 writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

1) He only missed one and hit 5 the previous. He is the best shooter on the team and I don't think he played too many minutes unlike last year. The offense Martin runs may actually help him.
2) Jimmy Dykes is a pro SEC and pro TN announcer. They said a lot of positive for TN. To quote former VA basketball coach "Duke is Duke, they are on TV more than Leave it to Beaver reruns"
3)Agree
4)Missed easy shots, yes. Missed 3's, only attempted 8 and 1 was in final minute and just shot wildly.
5) Agree. Played well, but still lost. Better than losing by 30 but not as good as winning by one, just ask the players.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Duke was a very tired team. I knew this UT team would struggle to score in the 70's vs good teams(not greensboro or monroe). UT will play hard but they have no true shooters, so teams will force them to shoot jump shots after the conference starts. Right now teams will experiment with different defenses and rosters, until the season really starts in Jan. UT just cant shoot as witnessed by no three pointers, and have no bigs inside. They will be easy to beat by talented teams with big centers.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Yemi Makanjuola? Yep, he had quick hands and feet for a big, lanky freshman from Nigeria. I still think our inside game will be surprising, considering our length. Swiper Boy and Hall the longest at 6'9" is rough, but we do have coaching, it would seem.

thevoice writes:

Looks like someone let Zo out of the zoo. This guy is a madman! "Funny" how our last coach didn't emphasize free throws. A decent loss over the best coach in the country. Go VOLS!!

CincyOhVol writes:

1. Coach Martin is a stud. Our guys are already playing beyond others expectations.

2. ESPN announcers suck.

3. Refs suck.

Ironcity writes:

in response to beetlebomb7:

Duke overplayed the three. It was a great strategy and forced UT into doing something that until today they had not done which was attack the rim. We had some success their but could have done better with a few more made lay ups. The good news is you can see the confidence coming back to some of the players who have not lived up to their previous billing. Their is talent here and its just a matter of meshing. I liked what I saw and look forward to the rest of the season.

One other thing, Richardsons a player. He will be an absolute shut down defender and a crowd favorite by next year. Its great to have players who don't need the ball to be successful.