Ohio State cancels 2018-19 series with Tennessee

Tennessee's home-and-home football series with Ohio State set for 2018 and 2019 has been canceled because of a conference-expansion related scheduling conflict.

Ohio State requested to cancel the series because of the recent decision to expand the Big Ten conference schedule from eight to nine games starting in 2017. UT obliged, as the schools "may look at an option to play in future years," according to an Ohio State press release.

UT has yet to find a replacement for the Buckeyes on its 2018 and 2019 schedules.

The only time the Vols and Buckeyes ever faced each other was in the 1996 Citrus Bowl. UT defeated the Buckeyes, 20-14, to cap an 11-1 1995 season.

UT's future slate of games already announced currently includes: 2012 -- North Carolina State (Atlanta), Akron, Troy, Georgia State; 2013 -- at Oregon, South Alabama; 2014 -- at Oklahoma; 2015 -- Oklahoma, at Connecticut; 2016 -- at Nebraska, Connecticut; 2017 -- Nebraska.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

Chickens

westknoxrepub writes:

My guess is we won't have to find a replacement for Ohio State, it'll be Missouri.

DevoSanchez writes:

Eww, Oregon, OU, OU, and Nebraska in future years. Better get this ship turned around quickly or we can tack on another yearly loss on top of SEC losses each year and forget about going bowling. Once we stop going to bowls, we can forget about good recruiting. That will be the real point of downfall.

vols2#227315 writes:

they have to be with the tough schedule.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor hope they fire their AD and whomever takes the job right after
(yea sounds dumb dont it?)
Bones never lie.

stovepipedrinker writes:

First, we back out of a game with UNC...and now....Et tu, Brute?

lomas98 writes:

in response to untimed_vols_ghost:

I second that about conference expansion being the blame. Other schools will be doing this. Before all of us tn fans start saying Ohio st. Is scared, at least they gave 8 years notice. Unlike tn giving one year notice to north Carolina.

NashvillePreds writes:

This is seven years away. That's 49 years in the life of Smokey.
Tooooo far away to care.

Beat the S-#-*-@ out of the C-A-T-S Cats, cats, cats

D60 writes:

I don't think the next coach wants anything to do with an Urban Meyer team anyway

SaintDeacon187 writes:

Nebraska will be the next series cancelled. Then the Alabama series will become a once every four years or something else no one wants. Get used to it folks. All because we're adding two teams that no one wants in the conference except the ADs and coaches, who want to expand just for the sake of expansion. For no good reason or a reason that fans can sympathize with, they want to expand just to expand. Also, say goodbye to the interesting non-conference matchups between national contenders. Coaches are graded on whether they get into a bowl game or not and they'll want to schedule three cupcakes and hope to pick up at least three wins in conference play. No More Tennessee-Notre Dame, Tennessee-Cal, Tennessee-UCLA, Tennessee-Oregon, etc. etc. At least not after the league games grow to nine. Pathetic. Thanks college football!

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to D60:

Let's just hope ole' Urbie doesn't get to stressed out. By then his love child will have been out of football for six years.

SaintDeacon187 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

and Ohio State cancelled this series because...???

VolzsFan writes:

What goes around comes around. UT ran scared when they thought they would be down and now Ohio is doing the same. They have many NCAA problems ahead but they will still be able to beat UT at that point.

MemphisHog writes:

More of the same, and it seems to me it's another case of a program that sees itself as "elite" (translation: above you and me) unilaterally dictating the terms of how it's going to be. My team went to Austin a few years ago to play the Skinny Cows, with a return game in Fayetteville to come. That game has been postponed twice at Texas' request, and just a few weeks ago we heard it is now postponed again, until 2018. I hope Bevo gets a cattle prod up the arse...

vol75 writes:

Buffalo still has Knoxville in their GPS.

SFOrange writes:

what a powerhouse non-conference line-up next year: NC State (Atlanta, attendance 72,000)
Akron, (Neyland attendance 80,000
Troy, (Neyland attendance 78,000
Georgia State, (Neyland attendance 75,000

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor hope they fire their AD and whomever takes the job right after
(yea sounds dumb dont it?)
Bones never lie.

(yea it does but we're used to it)

TommyJack writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

From the KNS cubicle to your eyes.

mark.hussey#213172 writes:

That's ok. We need to go to a 9 game conference schedule, too, anyway.

pingkr62 writes:

I guess O.S.U. sees the direction Tennessee football is headed. I can't blame them, they don't want to have their a%%es kicked! G.B.O.!!!

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

UT has yet to find a replacement? Ummm....isn't Missouri going to fill that hole?

I don't know. Does anyone know how the new SEC regular season schedules are going to play out? Does every SEC team just drop one of their cream puffs or do we keep the cream puffs and reschedule one of the non-divisional games? Personally, I hope they drop one of the cream puffs, but I'm sure the players disagree with that.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

Freaking hilarious! I have a friend who's an OU fan, I'll see if they belong to him.

Voluvr writes:

r e s p e c t

volfan2002 writes:

We need to get Notre Dame back on the schedule. We haven't played them in a few years.

SIMSVOL writes:

in response to DevoSanchez:

Devo is no VOL. Tennessee will be bowling big time in the years to come. Go VOLS!!! Most years, Tennessee has played a tougher non-conf schedule than others in the SEC.

SIMSVOL writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Bodeane - what a miserable moron you are.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to pingkr62:

ping, are you & LKDWD really serious? As I read the article, the AD at OSU requested out of the series for a ligitimate reason--an unanticipated scheduling conflict. As a couple of posters have already suggested, the reason UT wanted out of the NC series was indeed quite obvious: to replace a more challenging opponent with an obviously weaker one. How can anyone really believe that another institution who is requesting cancellation of 2 games scheduled almost a decade in the future is doing so out of fear? And if UM is the coach at that time, he would probably have even less reason to cancel based on his previous experience. Just like so many posters have ridiculed Franklin for his immature and classless behavior following Sat's game for not shaking Dooley's hand among other things, and yet Dooley gets a pass when Les Miles has to chase him down to shake his hand after last year's LSU game? I guess it really is true what they say about how differently things are seen depending on which foot the shoe happens to be at the moment.

RoadTrip writes:

Expect this to be a regular occurence by all schools in BCS conferences over the next few years as expansion continues. I seriously doubt any whiners were sitting by their TVs waiting on 2018 to get here.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Lighten up Frances!

lahvolman2 writes:

It won't be many years down the road, maybe not in my lifetime, that there will be 5 super conferences consisting of 20 to 22 teams. 100 to 110 teams in the country will control college football much as now and television will control them. Every other college will be relegated to D1 status much like the FCS and will be dropped into FBS school schedules for monetary purposes only and as cupcake status. When you see teams like Georgia playing for the SEC east title last Sat. against Kentucky to a less than full house it just shows how much apathy fans have today. Who would ever have thought that Tn.- Vandy with 9 wins between them would outdraw Ga. - Ky. in Athens???? Everyone has their opinion, but I just think the evolution of college football has just begun...

Vols7Twins writes:

in response to volfaninbuckeyeland:

Dooley went to shake Miles hand, but Miles was in the end zone celebrating with his players so Dooley left and Miles chased him down
BTW they shook hands twice.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Hey BIVOLAR, where do you see in my remarks a bragging that UM would intimidate UT? I was simply countering the argument that OSU was cancelling out of fear. Did you not get that? How do you think NC fans interpreted UT's, and, more specifically, Hamilton's actions last year? And why in the world do you have to resort to such a juvenile characterization of Meyer & Tebow? Honestly, would you have felt any differently about them had their time been spent as Vols?

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to Vols7Twins:

BTW they shook hands twice.

Thanks Vols7 for the clarification. I had asked yesterday how that episode in BR transpired and several posters said Miles had to chase him down before he reached the tunnel. I don't recall the tv coverage getting a shot of it. Yours is the first post to suggest this sequence.

ctownvol writes:

NC State in the Georgia Dome? Good news for us Metro-Atlanta Vol fans.

CarlChilders writes:

I just heard OSU has picked up Buffalo as a replacement.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

BIVOLAR, so are you saying that you and stic are one in the same? I went back to check my post and all I said was that if I am not mistaken, the 2 teams were scheduled to meet in a few years and that UM might easily be able to extend his streak over the Vols based on the talent OSU currently has. Bragging is what VandyisGold was doing prior to this past week's game. Did you honestly detect that type of sentiment in my remarks? I admit I do pull for OSU--when they do NOT play UT or any other SEC school, and I make no apologies for that. I was pulling for Ark in last year's Sugar Bowl and wondered for the life of me why the Ark player didn't scoop the blocked punt up and run it in in those final seconds. That did not make me any less a Vol fan. If, indeed, you are the same person behind the 2 screennames, then based on your past life experiences, I can understand your passionate defense of all things Orange. But based on those same experiences, I would also expect a bit more caution in jumping to conclusions. And, by the way, the conversation we had was on Fri.

EHSvols23 writes:

Everyone needs to calm the hell down. First, let's take a long hard look at UT's recent history in these major NON-CON games. If you remove the Cincy game, UT has been terrible in these games. It's really been tough on the SEC pride issue since we can't win these type of games. Secondly, it takes a really really great team to be able to win a bunch of SEC games AND these great NON CON games. Case in point, LSU, ALA, and ARK this year. It's a special year for all three and they are able to handle.

The key is you don't need these games IF you play in the SEC. What you need is WINS. Next year sets up great for UT if we stay healthy. If we can snag that win against NC State (I say IF ONLY because our miserable recent history in GA Dome), then your looking at a quick six wins right off the top. Then the remaining six would be UF, @UGA, @USC, ALA, MIZZ, and I guess we would get ARK at home(I'll finish that issue next). The point is I can see us 3-3 over those games. That would put us at 9-3, and with a couple breaks, 10-2. Your right there looking at the BCS. Now would your rather play those NON CON games or be in the BCS discussion.

As far as the schedule goes, here it is. Now, we play the 5-2-1 format. Five east teams, 2 rotating west teams, and one constant west team. Until the SEC goes to 9 conference games, which will happen which is why this game and likely the NEB series will be cancelled, the SEC will play a 6-1-1. Six east teams, one rotating opponent and one constant west team. Since the LSU series is wrapped, I think we will finish the ARK series as the rotating opponent, but that could change. The reason for the 9 conference games, OTHER THAN ESPN MONEY, is it would take 10 years to rotate through the west, if you went home and home series. Now you could just play that rotating team once, but the schedule makers hate that because it is inheriently unfair. They prefer the balance of home and home.

The point is we need to schedule the cupcakes as much as possible. The SEC is a gauntlet few can traverse unscathed. Hell, the only year UT did it was courtesy of a Clint Stoerner brain fart.

SummittsCourt writes:

2012 not so much, but the out of conference schedule for the next 5-6 years is looking pretty tough. UT not afraid to play the big boys and then play the daunting SEC schedule every year.

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to EHSvols23:

Excellent post. Clay Travis has a great article on this topic on www.outkickthecoverage.com.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

fla has muschump and we dont hahahahaha
at least muschump bought weis a lunch box for him to sit on and guard during the game.

EHSvols23 writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

Thanks. I've read much of Clay's stuff. I own two of his books. He's been dead on about the realignment and schedule stuff. I know his name has taken a beating here lately concerning his opinions on Dooley, but he's very knowledgable on this topic. I think he's jumping the gun on Dooley out of frustration mostly. I truly believe he bleeds orange like the rest of us. In his line of business, I can't blame him. He has opinion like we all have (bleep) holes.

GreerVol22 writes:

I heard several things today. I heard U Meyer has agreed to be the OSU coach and that he cancelled the series with UT. Also heard Richt has announced his resignation at end of the season and our Dooley is on the short list. Anyone hear anything?

keepitreal4vols writes:

I wonder who our coach will be in 2017?

RashaadSalabeb writes:

I wonder if that was before or after they talked to little Urbie about the HC job?

Go Rocky Top! Beat Kentucky!

jawga writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Yes...Akron, GA State & Troy is quite the test for UT next year. Just hope Bray & Hunter are healthy.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to Lane_Kiffins_Daddy_Wears_Diapers:

You call it like you see it and so do I, and anyone who posts on this site has my respect, including so-called "trolls", as long as they do so in a respectful manner. In fact, I am in agreement with you on most of what you said in your post. I must admit that I am totally unfamiliar with the "pics" issue that you referenced. Honestly, I have encountered very few Buckeye fans who have attempted to flaunt the laurels of their program over UT or any other SEC program for that matter. You would probably be surprised to discover the extent of BO support in this part of the country. Aside from the obvious in state schools, the Orange of Tenn is probably the next most dominant school color you will see in this part of Ohio. My pat answer to anyone critical of any SEC program, including the perennially weak teams, is simply,"See how far your school would go in the SEC." But my question to you was if you were really serious about the cancellation of this series being motivated out of fear of UT in light of the unique conference realignments that are taking place. And given your response about UT's actions concerning NC, I am inclined to believe that you were using sarcasm to put a humorous spin on the story.

jawga writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

If Richt leaves (which would be crazy with all the talent returning next year) the next coach will be Kirby Smart...not Dooley-Lite.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Jethrine you know I hate you but in this instance I have to agree. Being from NC, canceling that series was embarrasing so we have no right to lambast someone else for doing the same. Anyways, I have included a link for you to pass along to Charlie. It's the holiday season. GO VOLS!

my-golden-coupons.com/

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to OrangeinCarolina2:

my-golden-coupons.com/

Dang. Messed that one up. Replay. http://my-golden-coupons.com/

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

Thanks for the enlightenment, LKDWD, about the OSU connection with Pearl. I was not aware of it. My sentiments: 1-if only he (Pearl) had come clean about it in the first place, and 2-what is it that is said: what goes around comes around. Another thing that left me with a bid of disdain for the Big 10 and specifically, the commissioner Jim Delany, is that several years ago he was quoted that as long as he was the commish, there would never be a Big 10 conference championship game. The logic was, regardless of the revenue it would generate, such a game would have the potential of knocking out 1 or both teams from a possible BCS championship game. Just like UT's action with NC, and I do appreciate how unbelievably brutal UT's schedule has been this year, I felt that such action was a cowardly approach. But then again, if I were in his shoes, it would be incumbent on me to look out for the best interests of my conference. By the way, I agree with you about Vandygate. I even posted Sat night that I never thought that beating Vandy would seem like winning a BCS game. Have a good night--enjoyed the dialogue with you. P.S. Delany is also an attorney, for what it's worth.