Tyler Bray ditches glove for good, plays through pain

Tennessee's quarterback Tyler Bray (8) throws to a receiver in the second quarter of an NCAA college football game against Vanderbilt on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)

Derek Dooley talks about Tyler Bray's performance during the Vanderbilt game

After his second interception Saturday against Vanderbilt, Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray tossed away the glove he was wearing on his throwing hand and played the rest of the game in traditional, bare-handed fashion.

Asked after today's practice whether he'd give the handwear another shot Saturday (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.) at Kentucky, Bray shook his head.

"It was done after Saturday," he said.

Bray admitted that his thumb, which he broke last month against Georgia, was sore Sunday, but that was what he anticipated. He doesn't anticipate the lingering pain to be problematic when he makes his second consecutive start for the Vols (5-6, 1-6 SEC) against the Wildcats (4-7, 1-6).

"I mean, it's always going to hurt," Bray said. "But it's something you just have to fight through and just go out there and try to contribute to the team."

Coach Derek Dooley said Bray was still rusty at today's practice and reiterated what he stressed all throughout last week. Even though Bray started and finished UT's 27-21 win over Vanderbilt, the rehabilitation process is far from over.

"One week doesn't get that thumb back to where he was," Dooley said. "He'll get to where he is when he's 100 percent. We have to keep managing it and keep warming it up properly, stretching it and rehabbing it.

"Today he looked like about what he looked like in the game. Not a lot happened over the weekend."

Injured safeties Brian Randolph (concussion) and Prentiss Waggner (shoulder) wore green, non-contact jerseys during the morning practice. Both players remain probable for Saturday.

"I don't think there's a guy that's totally 100-percent healthy out here," Waggner said. "You got all kind of guys that got nagging injuries, so this is pretty much a nagging injury."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolGrad writes:

Waggner and Randolph need to heal up quickly.

Go Vols! This is Big Orange Country!!

dvhill100 writes:

Pain - It is mind over matter - if you don't mind, it don't matter.

VOLliven2it writes:

Thumbs up, glove or not for Tyler Bray and a good Vol effort come Sat.

VolCrazie5 writes:

Protect the football! Lets go Bowling! #GBO

Vol86 writes:

I like all these kids. they are undremaned and played a brutal schedule. Anyone saying anything negative is a Shtt head,

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to Vol86:

+1 :-)

Mtnbiker writes:

in response to dvhill100:

Pain - It is mind over matter - if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Absolute truth, I nearly ripped my arm off a few years ago. ( well not really, but it sure looked like it hanging from it with a metal piece lodged in my triceps suspending me in the air(entry wound was armpit))

I pulled myself up and off the rack, turned the tractor off and walked to the farm house for someone to drive me to hospital. Never hurt til they started trying to clean it out.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Vol86:

Agreed. The usual suspects will still say negative things, though. They already know what they are, even before you told them.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to Vol86:

Right there with you Vol86!

Tyler Bray has guts and guts is enough! I like Tyler being a gamer, cocky, calm, cool and his Oakland Raider type attitude! It's about time Our VOLS had a Leader! The Players comments after the game Sat all were very glad to have Tyler back!

No excuses, Our VOLS have fought through some real adversity this year. Just Win Baby, BEAT KY!

GO VOLS, WE ARE THE ONLY UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Hey, you have to start the rebuilding from somewhere...If it was Vanderbilt where we started to right the ship, when so be it. There is almost something profound about it. it was the first thing that was told to General Neyland when he started at UT....To even the score with Vandy.....Well, they aren't a bad team, so if we use this win to build on and never look back, then something good came from it...

GR82BAVOL writes:

We will all point back on this time in a few years, remembering where we came from and how tough it was to get there...this program is paying their dues, but you can see the talent, leadership, and toughness growing. It is sometimes painful to watch, but every program goes through this. All one has to do is look at the past 15-20 years to recognize it. From the Gators to the Tide, Dawgs, Gamecocks, Razorbacks, both sets of Tigers and on and on...nobody is immune, but one thing is for sure...I am really digging what we are building.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

A victory Saturday and we will be on Beale Street

pingkr62 writes:

in response to GR82BAVOL:

I totally agree with you. It's good to see there are some who understand what is happening at U.T. Hopefully some of our cry babies will see this sooner or later. I posted before last season that we, as Tennessee fans, have a VERY rare opportunity to watch this team grow from boys to men. It's sad so many of our fans can't see this. I'm very proud of OUR team in how they tried hard to compete for two consecutive BRUTAL seasons and they never quit. G.B.O.!!!

DiegoVol writes:

in response to BlueTickHound4:

As a former QB myself. Gloves.... You either love them or hate them. They do you give you a better grip on the ball. For me, I never felt like I had the same touch on the ball. My passes would tend to drift on me a little.After a quarter of playing with them on, I took them off.
I think its probably the same thing for Bray.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I hear him talking about the pain and I cringe, can't help but think that this is how Ainge got started with his problems. Hope Bray has a stronger mindset for this.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Picked about all the games correctly this yr. My early prediction :
ut 38
ky 17

OwensboroVol writes:

I have liked this team more than any in recent memory. I think Waggner said it all. They could lay down and just try to get through this last game. After the season they have had, with probably the toughest schedule in the country, no one would question them. But Waggner is telling us that they are all sucking it up and giving their all for the Orange. Whats not to love?

MOOREVOLS writes:

Bray had his issues last week. If he hadn't thrown the pick six it would have been a very good first game back. He still did alot of good things though. Without him we don't win against Vandy. Hopefully he'll be even better this week.

John_10065 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

Oh yeah! Let's give him synthetic heroin!

BRILLANT!!!

dragon18 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

That's not really funny. I've had 3 friends become addicted to that drug after having it prescribed to them for pain. It ruined their lives. You are better off to manage through the pain as drug free as possible. Not ripping you for saying though, it just touched a nerve.

go_vols84 writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

A victory Saturday and we will be on Beale Street

The Music City won't pass on the Vols. Last year's game was the biggest crowd to ever attend a game at Adelphia/LP/The Coliseum/Whatever it is called now. And not just for a bowl game, the Titans have never had that big of a crowd. Heck, Garth Brooks has never had that big of a crowd. Not to mention the bowl has never gotten that kind of exposure before. A victory Saturday and we will be on Broadway my friend.