Vols suspend four reserves for season finale

Vols suspend four reserves for season finale

Tennessee's bench will be a little smaller as it closes the regular season.

The school announced indefinite suspensions for four backups on Wednesday night for undisclosed violations of team rules, punishments that could end the year for the handful of Vols (5-6, 1-6 SEC).

Backup wide receiver Matt Milton and reserve defenders Robert Nelson, Nick Branum and C.J. Fleming will all miss the trip to Kentucky (4-7, 1-6) on Saturday (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.) for breaking undisclosed team policies, UT spokesman Jimmy Stanton confirmed. The school did not provide details about the violations, but the suspensions appear to be specific to the individuals and not connected to a single incident.

None of the four players appear on the current two-deep for the Vols, and of the group, Milton had made the most appearances this season by playing in six games and making one catch for 12 yards.

Nick Branum appeared in a pair of games early in the season, and like the other two defenders was largely limited to scout-team duties heading into the last week of the regular season.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

florida-volfan writes:

Get rid of milton, waste of time and waste of scholarship. Hes being outperformed by true freshman. He must be very stupid or very lazy one or the other

florida-volfan writes:

in response to florida-volfan:

maybe both

volaboard writes:

in response to florida-volfan:

What do you base this on? Are you just repeating your boss's reason for not giving you a Thanksgiving bonus?

florida-volfan writes:

in response to volaboard:

Never gotten a thanksgiving bonus, never even really heard of that, but maybe you got one and that makes you very special

EHSvols23 writes:

I would say this smells like academic issues, or maybe a drug thing. You never know with these guys. I wouldn't give up on Milton just yet, though he may transfer. Sometimes it takes a year or two for the light to come on.

volaboard writes:

in response to florida-volfan:

I dole them out to my smart, unlazy employees. You would not be on the list this year.

bnakk#240693 writes:

Another one of Kiffin's stellar class members.....one of the few that are still in school and not in jail somewhere.

FWBVol writes:

I wonder if Milton's slow development has anything to do with UT recruiting the JUCO receiver Cordarrelle Patterson. I know the guy is a stud and you can't have too many play makers, but if Milton was showing up like Hunter and Da'Rick have we would be in great shape. Of course you can't have too many receivers.

Vol43 writes:

Just one last shot at my boy Franklin. Apparently excessive celebration aint his cup of tea. What if he attended the LSU Bengal Tiger locker room after having defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide. He probably goes to the nearest ER with a heart condition. What a douche.

florida-volfan writes:

Oh excuse me, you gave yourself a thansgiving bonus. Go ahead and give yourself and your employees a big fat christmas bonus as well

VolunteerLifer writes:

Dooley discipline is working. No embarrassing incidents in a long time. Kids seem to be buying in. Good show, Coach.

NewMarketVol writes:

Sometimes it takes a little discipline to get the attention that is expected,hope this will be a learning experience for them all

tnsportsman writes:

TRIM the Fat and Carve the Turkey CDD! Make room for 23 to 25 new recruits in Feb!

BEAT KY!

GO VOLS, VFL!

Voluvr writes:

Good.

BadBob70 writes:

I am sorry to see any kid get to this point. Come on guys, use this as a wake up call and prove you are better than this.

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Wow a little older then you.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Don't over think it....

voloffaith writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Jethro I've spared you some slack lately because it is so blatantly obvious that you just can't help yourself. I mean your cute lil digs at the Vol obsession you have just can't be missed. Now stop and help Ellie Mae get the critters out of the cement Swamp .....oops I maen pond.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

in response to Vol43:

Comparing utk beating Vandy to LSU beating Alabama is typical for a vawl fan.

What a bag.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to volaboard:

I want a job!

fearthehound writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

Comparing utk beating Vandy to LSU beating Alabama is typical for a vawl fan.

What a bag.

I used to think that Orange Pants and Bodeane and the travel dude might possibly be plants from KNS trying to get the conversation going and create a little controversy, but now I see that their writing skills and their simple ability to reason makes this impossible. I guess these are really guys who sit on their computers all day waiting for a Vols story to be posted, and then jumping on the comment board with their stupid little comments. Is it possible KNS recruits people like this to keep the pot stirred up or are these guys just pathetic people waiting for their welfare checks just needing something to do to pass the time? Either way, it's pretty sad.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Looks like Urban to Ohio State. He got out of Florida while the gettin was good

Down_The_Field writes:

players come and go. they get suspended and come back, but one thing remains the same.........

tennessee always kicks the schit out of vanderbilt.

bbfn writes:

in response to Vol43:

Just one last shot at my boy Dooley. Watched the interview on the field after the game and he says emphatically, that no whistle was blown.
He is either deaf, or a liar. 80,000 other folks heard the whistle. You make the call.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to bnakk#240693:

You must be talking about that same Kiffin who just upset Oregon and with a win over UCLA will have won the Pac-12 Championship on the field. I know you people wanted him to fail, but instead he is proving to be worth every penny of the 4 million a year USC pays. Not the lousy 1.5 UT paid Dudley. I think a guy named Bray was also in that Kiffin class. How many Top 50 teams has your current head coach EVER beat..NONE!! Dont blame Kiffin, blame UT for paying KMART wages for Kmart coaches.

deputy658 writes:

in response to bbfn:

There is no way CDD could have heard that whistle.Unless you were within 10 yards of that ref you were not going to hear that whistle. It was clear on the film that no players on the field reacted to hearing any whistle. GO VOLS !!!!!!!!!!

lemeshousomthen writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

your aunt jus text me.. wanted to know whered you put here EBT card

etu_vol_fan writes:

I'm not sure what the deal is with Milton. Seems like a physical specimen. He just can't get it together.

DannyVol writes:

Great season, Milton! So much for using your vertical and height around the goal line...

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to lemeshousomthen:

your aunt jus text me.. wanted to know whered you put here EBT card

It's under the spell check button on your keyboard.

allvol32 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Dude! Are you still here???? What an ultra maroon!!! Don't you ever get tired of showing off your dumb @ss???? You are one sick pup...but then again I'm overstating the obvious. Please seek medical treatment as quickly as possible. Never mind...go ahead and sway in the breeze on your own pitard...just wish you'd commit your Hari Kari somewhere else rather than here, maybe on
Vandy's campus?

oldster writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Kiffen can coach. Particularly with players like Barkley. However, he was, is and will always be an egotistical jack@@@ who believes that rules are for others. People like him succeed until they get caught. Then they fall hard. E.g. Tressel, Paterno, etc. etc.

oldster writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

I never loved him. I disliked him from the first time I heard him open his mouth. He was, is and will always be a smart alec.He is seen as the "modern" athletic model: a trash talking punk. Do not and will not like such. It is a sign of the decadence of our society.

plainspeaker1 writes:

in response to oldster:

Everybody say amen, oldster. He affected Tennessee fanbase in a way I hope I never see again!! He is nothing but a punk! By the way, let's see how well he does keeping that program OUT of trouble in the years to come. I wouldn't put money on it.

TNVolinTexas writes:

in response to plainspeaker1:

Hey guys, we all know that Kiffen has a lot of class! It's all LOW but he has a lot of it!

Vol43 writes:

Yep, Kiffen is a jerk and a lot more, but he seems to have game day magic. As you know, we were within a field goal of beating 'you know who.'

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

People need to remember that Milton played QB in HS. Perhaps the transition hasn't went as smooth as it could have. That's why I've always said...if you want a WR, recruit a WR. That goes for about any position except RB/LB. RBs seem to make darn good LBs.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Good for Coach Dooley! Glad to see he is staying on top of his standards and expectations. Maybe the players will learn from whatever they did. If not, there are alot of other young men that would like to try.

Go Vols! Beat Kentucky!

rockytopinga writes:

in response to OrangeTexasVol:

You guys dream big in Texas. But dreams and reality are two different things

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Agree, I liked Kiffin, just not his mouth. He's doing great at USC considering the BIG mess he walked into there. Haven't heard many excuses from him. We all knew he would take the USC job when it came open, just didn't think it would be the first year.
Every team has problem players, some work out, some don't.

volfaninusaf writes:

in response to bnakk#240693:

You must have forgotten Bray, Hunter, and D. Rogers. All Kiffin recruits. Jackarse.

Titan writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

Dooley swiped Rogers away from Georgia right before signing day. The former coach who is now at USC may have recruited him but when that coach left the Vols, DaRick was not a commit.

Titan writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

And thank you for your service (even if you recruiting history is a tad off).

Vol43 writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

Comparing utk beating Vandy to LSU beating Alabama is typical for a vawl fan.

What a bag.

I think you missed the point. Now go back and read it carefully and concentrate this time. You can do this.

volfaninusaf writes:

in response to Titan:

And thank you for your service (even if you recruiting history is a tad off).

Well thank you. But I don't consider the 2010 class to be Dooley's in many cases. People on here use it as evidence that he is a great recruiter, but it was a number 1 class until Kiffin split. Then many players left and Dooley saved what he could and ended up with a top 10 class. That didn't impress me much. Just saying. Thanks again. Looking forward to the post game speech. “The last thing I’m going to remind you … is that the one thing Tennessee always does is kick the !@&$ out of Kentucky."

milchkine writes:

Not for sure, but I think Hunter was also swayed by CDD. HE was an LSU commit when Kif left.

Titan writes:

in response to volfaninusaf:

Yes - CDD "salvaged" that class. And on that last sentence, I definitely concur. This will be 27 in a row, but since I live in middle Tennessee, I get more satisfaction from beating Candy (nearly) every year.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

Looks like Urban to Ohio State. He got out of Florida while the gettin was good

Only to jump into Columbus as sanctions are going to be pounding OSU? Why would Urban go into that scenario? It is going to be USCw level.

Docrok writes:

in response to Titan:

And Justin HUnter was not a commit or even a target at the time, That was all Dooley! And he swiped Hunter from LSU.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

In evaluating HS talent, it appears that the only positions that you really need LOTS of repetition and a specific skill set is QB and WR. As mentioned, RB/LB is a very similar skill set; moving back and forth is common. Same for Safety/LB, seems to be the same for OL/DL/TE. There are lots of examples of moving players between those postions.