5 Big Things against Kentucky

Dan Proctor draws the Tennessee-Kentucky game.

Photo by Dan Proctor

Dan Proctor draws the Tennessee-Kentucky game.

1. Pack the Pistol: Tennessee got more run-game production against Vanderbilt using the pistol formation for the first time this year. When you're 117th nationally in rushing, it's clearly worth a second look.

2. Tuned Up: As expected, quarterback Tyler Bray showed signs of rust against Vandy after a five-game layoff. His thumb still won't be 100 percent but he will be more game-ready against Kentucky. The Vols have to quit throwing interceptions at the goal line.

3. Wounded Prey: Kentucky's two quarterbacks, Maxwell Smith and Morgan Newton, both have health issues. Tennessee's defensive front is getting more pressure of late. That could be a bad mix for the Cats. Malik Jackson smells blood.

4. Safety Concerns: Tennessee's depth chart is thinnest at safety. Considering Brian Randolph and Prentiss Waggner are banged up, Rod Wilks and Byron Moore have to stand ready. Good thing Randall Cobb isn't still around.

5. Get a Leg Up: Michael Palardy and Matt Darr would prefer to forget the Vandy game. The last two trips to Lexington involved overtime. If this visit is that tight, the Vols can't afford duds in the kicking game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Maverickman writes:

AGAIN FIRST

voloffaith writes:

in response to Maverickman:

AGAIN FIRST

Yes in addition to that we are going to nominate ewe for permanent line leader the whole month of December. Also you get to .........ahhhh never mind this 3rd grade stuff is old and mildewed.

Go Vols beat the kittens and don't look back taking no prisoners......just be classy when we win(hopefully) and wear that O & W with dignity.

Weatherman writes:

5th point is huge! We need to find our kicking game...or find some kickers. Win this one and we go bowling. GBO!

FWBVol writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Don't be too hard on Maverickman. His wife probably forced him to go to Black Friday sales and he's sitting in a mall somewhere surfing the web on his smart phone when he want's to be home watching the LSU-Arkansas game. Or maybe he just doesn't have much of a life.

SummittsCourt writes:

A win here and in the bowl game will give the Vols some great momentum going into next season.

Vols 34
UK 13

givehim6 writes:

3 weeks ago when no one could see any day light in Volland, who could imagine we would be one win away from a bowl game. I knew once UT got to Vandy/UK the season would look better. Anyway go Vols!

oldster writes:

Forget number 5. Palardy and Darr are duds as football players. They may be fine young men. I hope they are. I also hope they are great students, because they have absolutely no chance of making money playing football. Palardy is the most over-rated recruit that UT has had since Brian Darden. The best thing he and Darr could do for this team would be to surrender their scholarships at the end of the season so that we could get someone with some actual phyical talent.

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to oldster:

I normally try to fight this kind of vinegar-drenched post with all my might. This time, the vinegar is well deserved.

OrangePsyched writes:

The only thing stupid with no standard is you meathead. If brains were fuel you couldn't provide enough for a knat to ride his motorcycle around a BB one time. We beat Kentucky go bowling and you're still insignificant. VFL!

MathMan writes:

in response to EightLetters:

EightLetters.....I agree.

MarbleCitySon writes:

in response to EightLetters:

As a proud Tennesseean and diehard Vol fan I see where you're coming from......on the flip side I've been in the Army for 11 years now and I've learned this from multiple deployments....you have to rebuild a platoon just like a football team. The vets (juniors and seniors) leave to other assignments, leaving you with lower, less experienced enlistedmen. Sometimes you need to exaggerate smaller accomplishments in order to build cohesion and confidence for bigger challenges. These Vols will inevitably face bigger challenges, just like new guys in a platoon who haven't deployed. New privates( freshmen, sophomores) cannot just come in and perform like seasoned vets, they have to be trained and take some lumps along the way.

FWBVol writes:

in response to EightLetters:

If you knew anything about Tennessee traditions you would know that no matter who the oponent...Vandy, Florida, Georgia or Alabama, after a win there is a celebration in the locker room that is pretty much a carbon copy of the one Derek Dooley led against Vanderbilt last week.

If George Cafego were still alive and coaching, he would have led the celebration.

Would you have the team not celebrate a win and sit silently in the locker room meditating on how we should have won by more points?

What happened in the locker room was not meant for the public but some idiot with a smart phone or mini cam corder recorded it and put it up on YouTube.

There are still a lot of people complaining about Derek Dooley, but if you compare wheat Derek Dooley has done this season in second year at Tennessee compared to what Mike Sherman has done Texas A&M you might see that coaching college ball isn't so easy.

Sherman is in his fourth year at A&M and has a 25-25 record and is 15-18 in Big 12 play. And Sherman's last head coaching gig prior to A&M was the Green Bay Packers. So maybe Derek Dooley isn't doing as bad of a job as some people would like to make the rest of us believe.

tk5 writes:

in response to Weatherman:

I agree!I'm going to change the subject to the secondary, who came through in the clutch last week. With that being said Marsalis teague is playing on the wrong side of the ball. Played with him since middle school, he rarely played defense even in high school. Put him back on offense. Don't get me wrong he has done well, i just believe he would be more of a weapon on offense. P.S. Just got an account, just wanted to state my opinion,i know, little late in the season to change things up, just a thought.

SevenT writes:

I got up early this fine morning in Lexington KY and ran into a bunch of overweight clowns wearing bright orange jump suits. It appeared to be an entire family of toothless retards. What is up with that fan base people

Kentucky 21
Tennessee 17

eepwlg writes:

in response to SevenT:

Kentucky 21
Tennessee 17

They were Kentucky turncoats. They are tired of being insulted by their own kind - like you!

oldster writes:

in response to EightLetters:

You never played sports did you? I did. In high school I played on a team that won only 2 games in my three years and none in the first two. We celebrated as if it were 1999 when we beat a team, finally, and did not give a hoot that they were terrible, too. I also played in the military for 3 years. The teams were much, much better. One of the teams won every game and most of them by at least 3 tds. We celebrated each of those victories with as much enthusiasm as my high school team did the only two it won. You see, winning is precious. When you put out effort that is rewarded, you appreciate the payoff. If you do not understand that, give up the title of "fan" and take up what you are: a cynical, unhappy person who goes through life trying to throw cold water on everyone else.

volsfannsc writes:

I normally don't agree with much the KNS reporters have to say, their sarcasm is a bit over the top. I will HOWEVER agree that I am completely puzzled by our kicking game. Tennessee has ALWAYS been Kicker and Punter U, but Palardy and Darr have totally missed the bus. What happened that caused their respective high school careers to go so south? I'm fairly certain the field didn't get longer. I can only hope that Dooley intends on bringing in NFL gurus to help solve the situation or to hire hypnotists to right their muddled psyche. I am in no way bashing these two as individuals, its just that their football skills have seemingly vanished. More puzzling is that there has been absolutley no improvement. Bring back the walk-on, he's 100% on PATs and FGs and was able to kickoff into the end zone. I long for the days when our kicker was the team's leading scorer.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

It's a numbers game.

Seven T and Eight Letters are troll brothers.

coltvol33 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Go back to studying your alphabet. Hopefully, by this time next year, you will be up to 26 letters. That's typical locker room stuff,that most folks would recognize IF they had ever been in a locker room. Go Vols.

coltvol33 writes:

in response to MathMan:

EightLetters.....I agree.

Maybe you and EightLetters could study together....he could help you with your math and you could help him with his letters.....nah, never mind. GBO.

coltvol33 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Kentucky 21
Tennessee 17

No, it is not SevenT. It is twenty seven. By the way, congrats on your family reunion. Glad everyone made it.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to SevenT:

Kentucky 21
Tennessee 17

Ha! They're tired of the losing streak and decided to go to the winning side. Go Big Orange!

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

Coaching. I find it ironic that BOTH have fallen apart. Doesn't sound like it' them. It has to be coaching. DD needs to find a STs coach this off season.

volsgirl writes:

in response to SevenT:

Kentucky 21
Tennessee 17

Every time we come to Lexington, wild cat fan appeared to be so nice and even let me park right next to them like we there best friend didn't know any body from Kentucky can be like you till now, oh well (good luck to you friend)

rootin4volz writes:

in response to EightLetters:

So...I'm wondering how you know what goes on in our locker room, or in anyone's locker room for that matter, from week to week.

69grad writes:

in response to oldster:

Give the scholly to the frat boy...after he has a beer...or not. I believe he should be our kicker.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

When you're 5-6, you sell what you have to, and yes, UT football is pretty low right now. A win over Kentucky and another pre-NYD bowl game isn't what we have come to expect. But as it is what it is, Dooley will try and pump his team up and make this season all it can be, which at this point is very mediocre. If you are a UT fan, which I doubt, you would have looked at the schedule in August as I did, and thought 7-5 was about as good as it could be. Hunter goes down, Bray goes down, now 6-6 is as good as it can be. I'll take it and wait. If we are 7-5 is 2013, then I think we can safely say Dooley has failed. Until then, he and his celebrations are welcome in Knoxville. Go Vols!!!

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to coltvol33:

He's probably played concerts in the locker room with his band Sniff 'N' the Jockstraps. Let's GO VOLS!

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

in response to SevenT:

Kentucky 21
Tennessee 17

SevenT,
Listen my friend, having spent a signficant part my Army career in and out of Fort Knox, KY (the Armor School) and having logged many hours living around what has to be the absolute lowest forms of inbred, warsh'n machine on the front pawch, food-stamps-as-income, littering, unhealthy, unwashed collection of guttersnipes who inhabit virtually all points in between Sheperdsville and western Appalacia...I find your comments about UT football fans rather amusing. If you want to bust our chops, then I recommend that you avoid socio-economic and cultural references because we all know that Kaintukians are but one tooth and one dollar away from West Virginia. Feel free to tell us our that our basketball team blows.

Did I mention - 26 in a row?