Mark Wiedmer: Former Vols Sanders, Martin trying to end Kentucky streak

UT coach Randy Sanders talks to quarterback Tee Martin on the sidelines during action against Syracuse in Sept. 1998. Martin led the Vols to a National Championship win that year. He returns to Neyland Stadium on Nov. 27, 2010 as wide receivers coach for the Kentucky Wildcats.

Photo by Michael Patrick

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Once upon a time they were Tennessee Volunteers, proud and orange and victorious every football season against Kentucky.

But Randy Sanders and Tee Martin now earn their paychecks coaching the Wildcats, which means their rather daunting task Saturday is to help UK break its 27-game losing streak against the Big Orange.

To make matters worse, ending that streak -- which is the nation's most futile active losing skid -- is really the only thing Big Blue has to play for, since its 4-7 record (1-6 in Southeastern Conference play) snaps its bowl streak at five.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

SevenT writes:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

I stopped at a gas/convinience store near Kentucky's campus and looked up and he was there. I couldn't believe my eyes. He drove a beat up mini-van, had long greasy hair, numerous tatoos, huge beer gut with a faded out ORANGE "Volls Rule" t-shirt that exposed his bottom crack and fat belly. My wife gasped when we saw his purchase of a carton of generic cigaretts, toilet paper, a big giant gulp soda and a dozen doughnuts. Then he walked out of the store spit on the sidewalk and flicked his cigg butt on the ground.

This Kentucky fan thinks you Tennessee fans need to take a long hard look at that UT fan base, it is unbelievable.

TommyJack writes:

in response to SevenT:

Bwahahaha

Noogaorange writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

SevenT you've got it all wrong. That wasn't a TN fan that was another poor Ky fan who got his shirt from a generous TN fan. He lost his betting that Ky would beat Tennessee last year!!! ha ha GBO

allvol8 writes:

in response to Noogaorange:

I bet it was. a Lane Kiffen shirt...

BigOrangeInEngland writes:

Tyler to Da’Rick all day long. The future’s bright, the future’s orange.
UT 31 UK 14
GBO !!
VFL

Sir_Spanky writes:

27 years..... That's a long time.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to SevenT:

You go Jeff

BigBoyBall writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

if you don't want to see this sort of thing, throw the mirror away!

BigBoyBall writes:

and give me my shirt back!

BigBoyBall writes:

and tell your wife, joker wants her to clean up her room before she moves out !

CoverOrange writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

Envy will get you no where.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

Bitterness and envy is making you delusional.

absgovols writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

I stopped after reading the first sentence. Why are you surprised? What's the big deal? What other school's football fan would you expect to see in Lexington? :)

deputy658 writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

That guy was there to interview for the Kentucky head coaching job.
Would love to see Tee Martin come back home to UT staff. GO VOLS !!!!!!!!!!!

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

What was Lane Kiffen doing in Kentucky?

volsbandit writes:

in response to BigOrangeInEngland:

Tyler to Da’Rick all day long. The future’s bright, the future’s orange.
UT 31 UK 14
GBO !!
VFL

We're still not capable of putting up 31 and giving up 14................yet.

lt4vols writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

I heard it was Randy Sanders.............

lt4vols writes:

Actually, I cant blame Kentucky..... If they cant beat us, they figure our ex-players can show them how to play the game...

dunglidave writes:

in response to SevenT:

I saw a UT fan in Lexington this morning!!

I didn't know there were any Kentucy fans! Learn to spell! Is your wife a coal miners daughter?

CroKev writes:

in response to absgovols:

That was pretty funny!

OK, let's get it rolling. 27 years ago -- it was the Orwellian year 1984. Reagan was finishing his first term. No one was laughing any more at the "Laffer curve," the U.S. was still celebrating a record gold-medal haul from the Soviet boycotted L.A. Olympics, ... oh yeah, Communism was still in full swing around the world, etc. Anybody else have any memories from that period so long ago when UK last won?