Kentucky fined $50,000 for storming field after beating Vols

Unleashing 26 seasons of frustration with a jubilant, on-field celebration will end up costing Kentucky some Big Blue dollars.

The SEC fined the school $50,000 on Wednesday for a violation of the league's "access to competition area" policy after fans stormed the field Saturday after the Wildcats defeated Tennessee for the first time since 1984. Kentucky received the maximum fine for such a transgression because it was the Wildcats' fifth offense since 2006.

The crowd converged on the 50-yard line shortly after UT quarterback Tyler Bray's late interception sealed the Wildcats' 10-7 victory. The crowd was relatively peaceful and did not linger long before security guards ushered it out of Commonwealth Stadium.

The rule, though, had been broken.

"Access to competition areas shall be limited to participating student-athletes, coaches, officials, support personnel and properly-credentialed individuals at all times," states the rule, which was adopted in 2004. "For the safety of participants and spectators alike, at no time before, during or after a contest shall spectators be permitted to enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy."

Kentucky fans stormed the field last year after an upset victory over South Carolina and also after victories against Louisville (2007), LSU (2007) and Georgia (2006).

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FearThePants13 writes:

That might bankrupt the whole football program.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

That works out to $1,851.85 per year on average that they beat the Vols...every 27th year.

ETownVol writes:

Guess a few of their basketball players will be taking a pay cut to help cover the cost.

Voltillyafall writes:

I just wish Tennessee fans had the opportunity to do this. Whether the fans run onto the field is irrelevant--just having the opportunity will mean that we have won an big game, a feeling that is getting rarer and rarer every game.

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

Our jacktard friends from Georja nearly destroyed their own vaunted hedges when storming their field after beating us in 2002....This after going 0-for-the-90's againt UT.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

It is none of your da*n business who we have on the payroll. yOU ARE A TROUBLE MAKER AND NOTHING ELSE. Why don't you grow up you stupid moron? Get your nose out of our A&*.

renegade37918 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

that would be 2 coaches fulmer and buzz.. lame went to usc on his own he wasnt fired

notorange writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Calm down there coach Fulmer, it's all in fun...

notorange writes:

in response to untimed_vols_ghost:

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to notorange:

Calm down there coach Fulmer, it's all in fun...

Thanks for the uplift. Coach Fulmer was the best.

notorange writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Thanks for the uplift. Coach Fulmer was the best.

you're welcome..

murrayvol writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Don't you have anything better to do....like feed the fish? Geez.

murrayvol writes:

They would've paid twice that with a smile.

UTKin1992 writes:

With "The Attorney" running us further into the ground, we'll be storming the field after ANY win in 2012.

HoustonVol writes:

I am sure all 25,000 in attendance that day will be glad to chip in $2 each to pay the fine.

Classof72 writes:

Congrtulations to the Wildcats and their fans.

Maybe they were just trying to clean the field after their nominal opponent stank it up.

Voluvr writes:

We should pay it.

knoxchatter writes:

SO WHAT!!!! I'm sure it was worth it for the Wildcats...they made way more than $50,000 in ticket sales Saturday. Wonder if we will have anything to storm the field over in Neyland Stadium anytime in the near future??

volpreacher writes:

That's $1000 per kentucky fan in attendance

givehim6 writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Actualy with UF's team falling apart like it is, 2012 could be the year UT could break that streak. Yes I know, but still I can dream right?

Twelvethirtyone writes:

in response to untimed_vols_ghost:

I think I get where you are coming from but another possible spin is Tennessee has become a victim of it's own success.

I am not saying Fulmer shouldn't have been fired when he was, but he did do a lot of good things for the program. He brought us back 10 win seasons, a National Championship and put us in the national spotlight. However, once the program slid a little, we fans stopped showing up to the games.

I remember in the 80s when we had a couple of mediocre seasons , when my family went to the game or watched on TV, Neyland Stadium still had a packed house. It's almost as if our expectations have become so high, we cannot accept seasons of mediocrity and rebel by boycotting the games, you know?

Shucks, I scream at the TV when the team makes mistakes. I b---- and moan with family after a loss lol. I think any passionate fan does... But I see these empty seats all over Neyland, especially this year, and it's disheartening.

Until this year, I had not been to a game in several years - only watching on TV, but this year, I managed to scrape together enough money to go to 2 games. I hope I can do so again next year, b/c I feel I need to do my part as a fan to back this team. Maybe my few dollars will have helped the school to afford a higher profile coach with more experience or go toward the recruiting budget, the athletics department in general, or even Academics to help the school in other areas.

I wish I could afford season tickets, or to be able to donate to the school because I would love to show these 18-22 yr old kids that come to UT how much I appreciate putting their necks on the line for the sake of UT, Knoxville, and all Tennessee fans everywhere. I would love to show these 16, 17 yr old kids that I appreciate them considering UT over other schools and want them to come to the University so that I can support them on Saturdays, and applaud them when they graduate.

The game has seemingly become so ego driven on all levels. It doesn't seem to be a reason for family togetherness anymore. It doesn't seem to be about the kids on the field trying hard to represent the community and the University anymore. It's become all about "win at all costs so I can act like I am better than someone else because my team kicked his team's arse". "It's not enough to win by 1 or 2, I want to win by 40 or 50." Everything has to be, to borrow from Kanye, "Bigger, better, faster, stronger"

Tremendous success was nice when we had it, but we are still a success. Every time we fill the stands, applaud player graduation and show our school pride, the University, the fans, the community, and these kids win.

It starts with we fans supporting these kids and trusting the Athletic Dept. to make wise decisions in order to put a quality product on the field. When these kids see the fans and community supporting the team, they will come... And they will succeed.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

What team was Reeves head coach of?

off_the_porch writes:

in response to Voluvr:

We should pay it.

My thoughts exactly. We should start an online petittion to make the coaches pay that KY fine.

CrankE writes:

About a dollar per person, right? A bargain at twice the price. Can't say I blame them.

Sir_Spanky writes:

Idn't it pathetic to storm a field after beating this TN team?

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Stop paying attention to the troll.........Bodeane ( the real Bodean copy cat. )

This kid doesn't mind being a troll.........anything for the attention.

slb#1351874 writes:

Please Lord help these sick idiots who post this worthless phooey. It is distrubing to realize that the I.Q. level of some of you ding bats is beyond comprehension. It is hard to belive anyone could be as dumb as you appear to be.

BearGapVol73 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Put'em all in a stockade in an empty corner of Neyland Stadium along with Cheeks and Hamilton. They have to stay until enough Vol fans cough up the money to pay the fine.

I'm a little short this year but maybe I could come up with a couple of bucks after the first of the year. Maybe not.

PennVol writes:

How much were the Vols fined for that pathetic performance?

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

I herd that after they left the field they ran over to RUPP and cut down the nets.

notorange writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

Idn't it pathetic to storm a field after beating this TN team?

About the same deal as the pep rally in the UT locker room after beating lowly Vandy wouldn't you agree?

notorange writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Since you brought the subject up of net cutting, do you think the UT mens team will cut down any this year??

TommyJack writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Bodeane = Adams or Griffith. Not sure which.

CroKev writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Bodeane = Adams or Griffith. Not sure which.

Nah, Bodeane is a UF fan while Adams is a LSU fan. I think Griffith is a Mayberry fan...

RealisticVol writes:

Hey I remember us tearing down our goal posts after finally beating Alabama after a dry spell of only 8 years (I Think). I can't blame them. Even though I don't like losing, congratulations Kentucky.

Skwvols32 writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

Bahahahahaha Dude, that is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

Skwvols32 writes:

in response to ETownVol:

HAHAHAHAHAHA Now that's a good one!!

DavidB writes:

I have no hard feelings towards KY or their fans. They beat a poor excuse of a UT fan and ended the longest streak in college football. It was up to our coaches and players to make sure that streak did not end. It has always been my opinion that one thing in the coaches contract should be they had to win the KY game or find a new job, no buyout, no excuse.

I am not on the Fulmer bandwagon but Fulmer was held to much higher standards than what we have come to expect lately. All year I heard fans excited that we may win 7 games this year. That is not exciting to me at all. I would have accepted 8 wins this season and been pretty happy for now. Even had we won the KY game we may have still ended up 6 and 7 which is still below .500 on the season.

I have a serious question to only the donors (those of us that actually put money into the program every year). How long will you let UT slide before you decide to no longer renew your season tickets?

I keep asking myself that question but can not come up with an answer. I would love to not have to ever worry about that. Sure you can almost expect a bad season every now and then but to expect a bad season year in and year out is not what we want our program to be. We dont want to be the team that feels the need to storm the field after a win, we should expect to win.

Starts with the coaches and filters down to players. I have watched the KY game a few times now and one thing I saw that really bothered me is seeing coaches and players joking and laughing on the side line during the game. You have to show up serious in any game.

Just my two cents worth, give Dooley next year to show if he is the man for the job or not. Dont win 8 games then time to move on. If he shows up with the same coaching staff (offensive coord. especially) and no running backs coach then start looking for his replacement during the season.

If Ohio State can afford to pay a coach 6 million a year then UT can afford to pay a coach that or more. I would think for 6 million plus a year you can have any coach you want.

SignalMtnVol writes:

I'm a Vol fan to the bone, and am absolutely disgusted with losing to Kentucky. That being said, they had quite possibly the largest win in the last lifetime. Let 'em celebrate and storm the field as long as they are not hurting anyone.

tensie2004 writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

I agree 100%. If your team wins a big game against a rival, storm the field and have a good time. Nobody got hurt and if you play in the SEC, $50,000 is chump change.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to ETownVol:

Yeah, they will just have to slightly reduce the income of a bench player or two. No problem...

Maverickman writes:

When Mr. Heart fires doolittle Im gonna tear down our goal post... OCCUPY THE HILL GO VOLS