Vols vs. Georgia close to a sellout

SEC play will return to Neyland Stadium on Saturday and so, too, will a crowd of more than 100,000 people.

As of Monday night, only 350 tickets remained for Tennessee's game Saturday against Georgia, UT senior associate athletic director Chris Fuller said. The tickets are all single seats and are spread throughout the stadium.

Those tickets can still be purchased online at UTTix.com. Prices range from $70 to $73.

The potential sellout will provide a much-needed boost to UT's sagging attendance figures. After an announced crowd of 87,758 took in last week's 41-10 win against Buffalo, the Vols' average attendance for 2011 dropped to 90,744. All three home games to date, which have featured low-marquee non-conference opponents, have seen fewer fans than any game last season.

The Vols averaged crowds of 100,531 for their four home games against SEC foes in 2010. Neyland Stadium seats 102,455 at capacity.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Smokey_Told_Me writes:

I wonder if they will raise ticket prices again?

...Smokey knows where the bones are buried.

DavidB writes:

An SEC game is expected to sale out. When we scheduled Buffalo we had to know they were not going to travel here very well which would leave a big gap in attendance.

So far I have not worried about how many people are in the stands, I have worried about how loud the ones there can get.

volsreign writes:

We still had the 6th largest crowd of all college football games played on Saturday. That's very impressive considering a rebuilding team playing a nobody. Vols should be proud of their crowd support.

VolBy3 writes:

The product on the field is definitely on the upswing. The attendance will soon follow. The Big Orange will roar again!

All4VOLS!!

usnavyvol writes:

can't wait...flying in from San Diego to Rocky Top for my annual game...and coming back again for the birds...GBO

vol4life0687 writes:

Wish I could be there but i live in Alabama and work 10 hours Saturday...but you better believe ill be watching my vols at the house screaming and cheering like crazy that evening!! GO VOLS!!!!

Bigger_Al writes:

One thing about Fulmer and Dickey/Hamilton is that they knew they had to play some big names to sell that baby out consistently. I'd like to hear Dooley's thoughts on why we have to play a 1-AA opponent every year from now on. Maybe he learned that from Saban, and that your team gets too beat up if you play big dogs every week.

Vol_in_GA writes:

Will have to follow our boys on my Droid. Why do people get married during football season? I just don't understand it.

EHSvols23 writes:

The attendance for the non-con games doesn't concern me one bit. If Neyland Stadium has to be full for every week, we may win the attendance battle, but we won't win the football war. You can't always have the players to play top level teams year in year out. In the SEC, you need those lower level teams to add some wins and play some unexperienced guys. Besides, with the extra game being played now, the attendance money will work itself out. Last time I checked, no SEC team was hurting for cash.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Vol_in_GA:

Lol that's what my son-in-law said

Pullingguard writes:

This Saturday's game is important in many ways, as it can help establish a future for the Vols with fans. It can also have impact on recruiting. And, it can hopefully get the mouth pieces of sports channels off the Vols back and let them establish some legit standing. Now, if they don't win the mouth pieces will continue to berate them.

lomas98 writes:

I live out of state and can only get to a game in Knoxville about every other year. Unfortunately I haven't been in person since 2008 but I am coming to the SC game. I didn't realize ticket prices were $73.00. That is what some NFL teams charge for the cheap seats. That is crazy. I assume $50.00 will still pay for a ticket on the strip?

Mtnbiker writes:

I was looking over Defensive stats and TN and GA aren't that far apart. Biggest Difference is INT, GA has 8 we have 1. Other differences GA PA : 103 ; TN PA : 83. Total Off Allowed is within 100 yards of each other. Nearly the same totals vs Rushing and Passing. GA has more sacks with 11 to our 6.

Offensively : GA Averages 176 yards rushing
237 yards passing
TN : 111 rushing
336 passing

So that less than 50 yards Difference in total Offense average.

Should be an outstanding game with special teams being HUGE.

In Knoxville I like our chances GBO!!

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Georgia opens as a 1 point favorite in Vegas so Dooley will lose. He has never pulled an upset in his coaching career. Everytime I hear Vol fans utter "Great Coach" I have to think, wouldn't a great coach win at least 1 game when he was an underdog? He will lose again Saturday as Georgia is a Top 50 team, and we know Dooley has never beaten anyone ranked higher than 64. Can Dooley finally beat a Top 50 program? No!! UGA wins easily just like Florida.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

I agree. I think the Vols need a win over a quality opponent to gain confidence. One thing I've noticed in the games U.T. have played so far this season. They have a tendency to show a lack of intensity especially on defense except when it really mattered, like the fourth down plays against Cincinnati. If the defense can show that level of intensity on every down four four quarters, I think we have a realistic chance to beat Georgia. G.B.O.!!!

volsindallas writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

jawga writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

You've got the score right but the wrong team. Dawgs roll as IC gets 150+ while Bray runs for his life.

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

tovolny writes:

Not a GVXTRA man?...might want to check out this link.

tovolny writes:

Make that: GVX247 man.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Quote of the week on ESPN Radio early in the 4th quarter of the UF-UA blowout -- "There are more UF players on the field than there are UF supporters in the stands." Da' Swamp was drained. 'Nough said.

givehim6 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

UGA wins easily just like Florida. what game you talking about? last I saw UF was licking there wounds under the house.

rockypop writes:

You know things aren't right when a sellout at Neyland Stadium is big news.

Upgrayedd writes:

Fellow Vol fans, check out this gem! Florida may lose Easley for a game or two if this is true. The best part? A former Bama player and his chicken wings were the victims! And the Bama guy STILL got arrested! You can't make this stuff up!

BigVolinCarolina writes:

Don't worry, folks. If we lose against Georgia and the rest of our games aren't sold out, then the Athletic Department can always dig out the "Black Curtain" they put in the upper deck of Thompson Boling during Buzz Peterson's reign and hang it up in the upper deck corner of an end zone to hide the low attendance.

Like that really wasn't obvious in basketball!

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

born2ride writes:

Attendance is down because we have a mediocre coach & team and we play cupcakes at home. The best non-conference team was Cincy and they were 4-8 last year.

There will be empty seats to watch the Vols blow out Mighty Montana and the Buffalo Bulls (they were not the Bills).

And our talent level compared to the top SEC football schools has fallen off under Dooley. It seems our goal now is to get 6 or 7 wins and go to a tiny bowl and Vol fans will be happy.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

The fact that our attendance is down is not a problem that just occurred this year. It's been slowly happening over the past several seasons. Even in games that we have "sold-out" one can often clearly see gaps in actual attendance during games.

This started happening a few seasons before Fulmer was fired. It continues now. In general, this is a result of fans not being satisfied with increasing ticket prices and lesser on-the-field production.

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

88,548. That's the Swamp's official max capacity. To heck with 350 tix, we could undersell 3,500 and still bring in more than the Gaturds.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Oh, c'mon lil' ZZGataBoy, who should we believe, you or ESPN Radio?

OK, I'll play! Were you in Neyland for the kickoff of the UT-Buffalo game? No, you weren't. Were you in Benny Hill in the 4th quarter of UF-UA game? No one knows! I know you didn't appear in Benny Hill on 9/17, because I was looking for you! So ... really cute!

We're supposed to sit back and believe that if lil' ZZGataboy says so ... it is so! But, we already know you are a liar. Try again punk!

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Awwww, are you upset because I've been owning you on this board all day?

BigVolinCarolina writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Much-appreciated, Bodeane. I do my best to make my responses count when I do say something on here.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Date: Oct 1, 2011 • Site: Gainesville, Fla. • Stadium: Ben Hill Griffin • Attendance: 90888

Gatas got their tails tied in a knot -- 38-10 ... and in the middle of the 4th quarter there were more Gata players on the field than there were Gata fans in Benny Hill.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to Vol_in_GA:

Should be outlawed.

iowavol writes:

I just don't get it. How in God's good name do we not fill Neyland Stadium every single week. I don't want to hear about improve the product on the field and improve the economy and fans will return. Nebraska has 30+ years of sellouts with several big losing streaks and frustrating coaching hires. Ohio State is still filling their stadium and UT has never been as bad as Ohio State is right now. Penn State still fills their stadium and the dynasaur of a coach is not an obstacle - they needed a miracle to beat Indiana, how low is that. Michigan with all those years of haplessness still fills their stadium.

Our new AD ought to quit talking about SEC expansion as if he knows what he's talking about (isn't it the job of the commish to talk about that stuff) and he better start talking about how he's going to fill the stadium each week. Even if he has to rent buses and go pick up people and give them a free ticket, it's better than a 70% full stadium. Wow, how much did Hamilton really hurt this program.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

JOINED SEPT 2, 2011 Just to be a ____head Doin A Good Job...

pms151 writes:

At 70 bucks a pop it's no wonder why people stay away from a team that is at best treading water.

VolsFanInNC writes:

in response to Vol_in_GA:

They couldn't have gotten married on the bye week?

snakeplissken writes:

This game is growing bigger by the moment. Sellout crowd, ESPN coverage at primetime, so it's a critical game for Dooley to win to show we've improved some. Georgia is good but they're far from being great. If we can't beat them, fans will lose interest, the media will come down on Dooley, and recruiting will be affected. This game is HUGE!!!

1998 writes:

Guess I've been gone too long. I never knew Neyland not to be sold out. But I never had to pay $73, either.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to Vol_in_GA:

I also live in Georgia. It will be hard to live with these redneck Ga fans if they happen to win.
The ones I'm talking about is the ones that don't really know anything about football, just what the final score is, they are the ones that get under your skin!!!

hateNCloveTN writes:

in response to Vol_in_GA:

Fall weddings are just plain stupid!!!!! My god-daughter got married on a football Saturday a few years ago. I should really should have missed that whole season though since it was that liansurferdudes first game.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to jawga:

You won't have the guts to come back to this site after Ga gets their butts whooped Saturday.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

The reason Auburn did not win the NC the year they went undefeated was that they played 4 sisters of the poor and the computers and the polls made them pay for it. Dooley's father played lower level schools and gawga has continued to do so. CDD needs to learn if you want to be a champion you play champions. If you want to be second tier you play a gawga schedule.

MusicCityVol writes:

NeylandWest writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

One word for you: Upgrayedd

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Navalorange:

How did Kiffin leaving cost us schollies? From what I see playing on the field, Kiffin left us with a few of the best players.
As far as your comment about the talent level, at some point Doooley has to own the team and the talent HE recruited for two years. NOBODY is expecting him to win the SEC east. NOBODY is expecting 10 victories. But we're playing Georgia this week. The same Georgia who got drilled by two teams a couple of weeks ago. The same Georgia that isn't even ranked. Maybe some Vol fans are scared of the puppy doggys, but if we don't beat them AT HOME, then this year could be another long one.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

We had 72 players on the roster last year, and we have about 80 this year. Matter of fact, if Dooley signs the seasonal limit of 25 this year, he'll have to cut some so we're not over the limit of 85.

CCLC writes:

in response to iowavol:

"Ohio State is still filling their stadium and UT has never been as bad as Ohio State is right now"
I don't know what you've been watching... OSU is 3-2 and when was the last time they had a losing season son. UT has had 3 in the last 6 seasons.
just sayin'

Digger writes:

in response to volsreign:

I agree! Not many college or pro teams can claim over 80,000 fans in a game. And the opponent was awful. That's pretty impressive for a team not even ranked.