Tennessee football fans aren't half as crazy as you think

Volunteer fans do the wave across the stadium during the game against Cincinnati at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011. Tennessee won the game 45-23. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, KNS/2011

You would think any place that can pack in over 100,000 people in the stands for a college football game rain or shine would be football crazy.

The state's population is crazy about college football, but maybe not as crazy as you might think.

Based on searches on Google, residents in at least four neighboring states are crazier about the college game than Tennesseans. And Tennessee has been slipping in this "crazy index" over time.

I looked at the relative popularity by state of the term "college football" on Google Insights, a fun tool if your employer has a few hours for you to squander.

The search data goes back to 2004. In the first five of those years, Tennessee -- the state, not the school -- ranks in the top 10 for the relative popularity of search term "college football." The state was the eighth most popular state for the term in 2005, the ninth in 2006 and tenth in 2004, 2007 and 2008.

In 2009, 2010 and 2011, it fell out of the top 10. Currently it appears to rank 11th.

The 2004 to present top 10 list of states with the highest relative percentage of searches for "college football:"

1. Alabama

2. Nebraska

3. South Carolina

4. Oklahoma

5. Mississippi

6. Georgia

7. Idaho

8. Louisiana

9. West Virginia

10. Iowa

So get ready, those truly crazy Georgians are headed to town this Saturday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GreerVol22 writes:

1 minute that I can't get back.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Witch Doctor say Google notices you stay on Tennessee website 18+ hours a day w/15 different logins. Witch Doctor say you make the bammers look smart.
Bones never lie.

BigEVol writes:

Guess they finally got around to running cable to the trailer parks.

osbymartin75 writes:

I just googled the word pathetic and what do u know this "article" came up #1

knox_observer8527 writes:

That's because Tennessee football is not much to be "crazy" about anymore.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

She'll never leave. I'm afraid she's a liar. I called her out on it earlier but wasn't surprised to see she's full of herself and lied.

DavidB writes:

This is because those in Tennessee dont have to google for college football, we already know where it is.

Dumbest article I have seen on here in some time, to think someone actually got paid to spend a couple hours on google and to write this article.

NeylandWest writes:

I ran a similar query on that website, only I used the term "football" as opposed to "college football" and noticed different results.

Tennessee was in the top 10 when I did that.

We have 1 professional team, as opposed to another state further down South that has 3 and I didn't see them in the top 10 at all.

Fascinating...

NeylandWest writes:

in response to DavidB:

It's articles such as this that makes me wonder if the 247 site is worth signing up for now that it is allegedly free.

jman33163 writes:

Apparently we are, we just read that nonsense?? Who the hell googles "college football"?? *shaking my damn head!!*

NeylandWest writes:

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

Why should anyone be surprised...With Derek Doofus at the helm in a few years our Vols will be able to play ther games at Bearden High School...As an alum and VFL it's embarassing to see our empty stadium on TV...We're just pitiful under Doolittle and it'll get worse as we go 0-4 the rest of this month.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Q: What do you call someone like you who spends 10-12 hours a day roiling the natives on GVX?

A: A minimum wage employee

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to CantCompare:

You promised to leave this site ,based on your game prediction last weekend ( which was not even close to right ). Guess your word is about as good as your post on here!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to jman33163:

The way I see it, us getting lower and lower on that poll (allegedly 11th now) is a sign that we are actually getting smarter. As you said, Jman, who the hell googles "college football" other than people who dont even know what it is in the first place...and if Alabama tops the list with the most people who dont know what college football is, then more power to them. That is one list I am glad we are not in the top 10 of.

Go_Big_O writes:

in response to knox_observer8527:

That's because Tennessee football is not much to be "crazy" about anymore.

I don't know - I'm pretty stoked about UT football at the moment!

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Navalorange:

You Dooleyphiles always come on here and say this isn't a fact or that isn't a fact..Well here are Some...You Doolie-Foolies all say Ga.'s no good (the same thing you said about the Fla. team that stomped Doofus)...Then you say Richt's no good (the same coach who stomped Doofus last year)...Now we're a home underdog to this no good team...So much for home field advantage...Want more facts?...You Dooleyphiles never answer what makes a sorry coach so great when he's gonna go 0-4 in his next 4 games (fact: no chumps in this run).

Tru138 writes:

in response to CroatianVol:

He's a two-bit bookie. Nothing more. Nothing less.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Chucklehead....we'd be in worse shape if YOU were the coach...a true V FL supports the Vols and the coach until proven otherwise

Mtnbiker writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

1 minute that I can't get back.

no joke :(

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

If, as you repeatedly claim, you are a former player and alumni, then that makes you welcome to visit during practice. Since there are reporters at practice, they would watch a former player interacting with the coaches.

Here's what I propose: Go to a practice, and call Dooley all of these names you refer to him as. Tell him what you think. Do it in front of everybody. When the story about a former player doing that hits the press, then I'll believe you're not a liar and a fraud.

Go ahead. I double-dog dare ya.

volsince53 writes:

i triple dog dare you

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Boy you cut me to the quick on that one...Wait until Doolittle's 3-5 at the end of October...There will be lot's more here calling for Doofus' head..They're already starting to come around to the inevitable.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to allvol8:

These folks just want attention as waiting until after October to trash the program is not what they offer. If the season should end at 5-7 then most of us will be concerned. I can see another 6-6 season but a win Saturday I see 7-5 and possibly better.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

He has an ax to grind with Dooley....yeah I know who ppo is

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Navalorange:

We're rebuilding...We're young and inexperienced...We lost our best player...Look at me I've got orange pants...How many Doofus excuses can I come up with for this 6-6 or 5-7 mess...I'm Derek Doofus..Give me just a few years and I'll learn that 11 doesn't mean 12..I promise..."Give me Buffalo or give me death"

TheStupidPolice writes:

STUPID

OrangePsyched writes:

Please please please ignore the dude ppo and his other names. You think that you are winning the smack and that everyone is applauding you for it. Just the opposite is true. Most of us just shake our head as you take the bait again and beg for more. Dooley will be here for at least the next 15 years. We are getting back to the top beginning this weekend. I'm looking forward to singing Rocky Top with 100,000 friends all night Saturday night at the football cathedral called Neyland.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to CantCompare:

You always have nothing to say

tombo7 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

1 minute that I can't get back.

Hilarious!

allvol8 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Your attitude cost you your job

tombo7 writes:

I think PudPack is part of an experiment launched by the UT anthropology department to elicit responses from a test group (true Vol fans) to inane rants (his). Along the way he started getting his knob off on all the attention he received, mistaking our responses as acceptance or approval. Needing constant reassurance, he posts an average of 9+ times per day. I suspect that after he posts his puke he runs upstairs from his room in the basement to check on mom. Upon returning, he sees a retort from a fan. This is as close as he ever comes to sex, so he spanks Mr. Peabody and promptly starts composing his next comment. Could be wrong, but I think I'm close.
...

Snapshot writes:

in response to tombo7:

...

Hilarious, but you may be closer to the truth than you know! That POS has never been a Vol fan and never will be no matter who the coach is.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I am afraid it is......there is a interview on line that kind of brought the realization...to my chagrin...have safe travel to K -town and GBO!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Of all people, Jack Lail posted this article.

Big question is when will he post something about the 'crazy trolls' on his site?

snuffysmiff writes:

Isn't it odd that PPO is a member of an entity that CDD created, the Vol for Life program?

allvol32 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

If you're an alum and a VFL then I'm George Washington and am a Navy Seal in my spare time...you are one sick deluded pup.

You remind me of the Jon Lovitz SNL character who was the president of "Pathological Liars Anonymous." Yeah, that's the ticket...

Go find some trees to poison or flies to rip the wings off of and stop annoying the adults.

allvol8 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I spoke with a former vol this w/e....he still calls me his Knoxville mom....I asked him about Dooley..he likes him ..then I asked if that CS did..he changed the subject..I can't repeat what he said bout kiffen;)....I hope I am wrong..

NeylandWest writes:

I love how I get censored, yet John Adams retains a positive employment status. Go figure.

AllVol311 writes:

in response to Upgrayedd:

Go ahead. I double-dog dare ya.

and boom goes the dynamite!! bahaha

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Large bass got that way by not rising to the bait.

GBO

gc_scvol writes:

in response to allvol8:

Your attitude cost you your job

You know, I don't fault THE PPO dumb--. It is the fault of this website. His log-in credentials are the same for every pathetic attempt to disguise his (or her) identity. Why do the powers (?) that be let this go on...sensationalism..The way to stop this is to ignore the Dumb-- and quit feeding it's ego..Also, let the people who allow this knid of $---f to continue know how you feel. It wouldn't happen if they didn't allow it. This is supposed to be a format to discuss BIG ORANGE sports, but has been reduced to a venue for D---Heads to cause the real BIG ORANGE fans to lose sight of why we're here TO DISCUSS THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE ATHLETICS. not quibble with some MORON. Ignore this person and if necessary this site. The TROLL is not worthy of your concern....GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!

volsn3 writes:

in response to CroatianVol:

You are not and never will be a VOL fan or VOL FOR LIFE. You are just someone that is dying for attention. I pitty you

volsn3 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

I meant that last post for you of course

usafvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Great stuff! I needed a laugh this morning..

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

IMO, if Jack did something about the trolls here we might be inclined to listen to the sales pitch for the 'pay' site he is peddling.

When I sent him a personal e-mail and brought up the subject of how allowing the trolls such as Packer and Bodeane etc have ruined this site......his suggestion was to go to the 'free site.'

Free?????? All that does is transfer the trolls over to that site for the rest of the year.
For that matter, maybe a good thing. That way at least, someone will finally notice what has caused this site to spiral downward.

It's not GoVolsExtra anymore. It is now GoTrollsExtra.

OrangeHeart writes:

in response to AllVol311:

and boom goes the dynamite!! bahaha

Nice TOSH.O reference.....Sweet!

TennesseeFab5 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

"As an alum and VFL" - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Dude thanks for that great laugh this morning - I needed that!

Big_Orange_Rocketman writes:

HalF???? Twice,maybe, but not half. If you could look at our athletes individual grades (instead of a composite) you'd know. Thank goodness, for free-meals and special ed. Did you ever notice the work studies carrying all those piles and piles of documents. They aren't study materials. They're completed classwork. The work studies aren't tutoring. They are there to help our athletes put the correct answer in the blank; STUDENT'S NAME_________________.

volboy81 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

1 minute that I can't get back.

yeah, really!!
who is Jack Lail and what is he doing on this web site?