Barbara Dooley defends 'my baby' on radio show

Mom defends Derek Dooley on radio show

When the subject turned to Derek Dooley on Thursday morning, Tim Bryant's radio show in Athens, Ga., got an impromptu defender of the Tennessee football coach.

An alert listener — Barbara Dooley — popped in to the studio when she perceived two Knoxville sportswriter guests were evaluating her son's coaching performance at UT.

"You've got Mama's rile up now, buddy,'' Barbara Dooley said on the air after driving to station WGAU-AM during the discussion that included (by telephone) Andrew Gribble of the News Sentinel and Dave Hooker of ESPN.com.

Listening to the show, Barbara Dooley apparently believed she heard someone say Derek was on the "hot seat" at Tennessee, only 17 games into his career here.

"I want you to listen about my baby,'' she said after joining the program.

"You have to hurry,'' responded Bryant, "because we've got a congressman standing by.''

"Well,'' said Dooley, "he can just wait. Football is important.''

In the previous conversation, Gribble was attempting to stress that Derek Dooley is, in fact, not on the hot seat because Tennessee fans understand the predicament he inherited.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

OrangePride writes:

I think Ms. Dooley misunderstood the thrust of the remarks, but I do love the way she just jumped in to defend the Coach. Even tho a little off-target, it's great that there's someone out there just not willing to stand for a lot garbage about Coach Dooley......even if it is his mom. GO VOLS!

UTVOL2001 writes:

I know nothing about her outside of this, but I like her!

69grad writes:

She's a bulldog, but now she's OUR bulldog!

516milesfromUT writes:

O'Brien, All Vol

PureOrange writes:

Love her passion! And I really like her son, OUR coach!

waustin writes:

God love a southern Mama.. Sarah Palin knows nothing about Mama Bears... They live south of the Mason Dixon. She'd fist fight Lennox Lewis if she thought it would help her child. Society needs more people who care about their children.

navarrebeachvol writes:

Breaking news: packer has left the house. He gave his farewell rant a few minutes back on the Munson link. cya Jeff. Good riddence. Too bad he didnt take some of the other dill-weeds with him.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

Navarre,

Seriously? If so, that's the best fresh air we've breathed for some time.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

In the next few months she will have plenty of opportunities to defend her baby. UT fans may not like losing as much as she thinks. Right now he has built in excuses that are already starting to wear thin. A blowout loss to Georgia and lets see how happy Vol fans are.

born2ride writes:

I never liked Georgia or Vince Dooley. I am not going to start liking him and his wife now because their son is coaching here.

FWIW... Dooley is on the hot seat.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to born2ride:

FWIW... Dooley is on the hot seat.

I have never had a problem particularly with Georgia and I respected Vince Dooley even though he coached for a "rival." Florida and Smirkin' Steve Spurrier are another story though ...

All coaches are on hot seats these days.

bearbull95#206250 writes:

in response to 69grad:

She's a bulldog, but now she's OUR bulldog!

You said it best!

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

How many have left only to emerge from the primal ooze with another username? Same troll different name.

SilasDogooder writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Navarre,

Seriously? If so, that's the best fresh air we've breathed for some time.

Fudge has left the house, huh? Well, he won't be missed. I hope his boat sinks as it sails into the sunset.

volspots writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

All coaches are on hot seats these days.

I agree. No coach is safe in this day and age. But I do believe that TRUE Vols fans understand that we are in a building phase right now and even with that things are still very positive. I also believe that Dooley is here for the long haul and will build this program back up to what it needs to be.

AllVoll writes:

You gotta love her!

Go Vols!!!!!

rusty_shackleford writes:

Go get 'em Babs! And she is exactly right, Football is more important that some blowhard, lying politician.

Vol_From_Memphis writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Georgia can't stop our passing game. It's our best passing attack since Peyton's days. UT 45-43

Vol_From_Memphis writes:

in response to born2ride:

FWIW... Dooley is on the hot seat.

Troll

Vol_From_Memphis writes:

Tennessee NEEDS Derek Dooley. We need a coach with integrity. I admire and respect him. He's loading up on talent since we've gotten the NCAA issues behind us a few weeks ago. We've got the best passing attack in the SEC. Bray for Heisman!! Go VOLS!!!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

Well, since he was responding to my "Ward is the best, no ex-Vol would say otherwise" post in his farewell squawk, I'm going to at least take partial credit for PPO's "departure".
Not that it matters-- I still think he/she will be posting under a couple of other accounts that we Vol fans have grown to despise.

Volunatic writes:

in response to snuffysmiff:

What Mr. Smiff said...

Sgt_Joe_Friday (Inactive) writes:

Just the facts - Would rather have a running back and punt blockers than an angry Mama - Lose to Georgia and they'll be dusting off "Old Sparky" over in Nashville - with new seating arrangements for CDD - Just the facts Mam.

67classut writes:

The Dooleys are first rate, so is the coach. I think Derek will do well but only time will tell. Coaching is a tough business.

Razor784 writes:

Barbara Dooley's awesome, glad she's one of us. "Her Baby" is going to start beating some teams with winning records though. He never did it at La. Tech and he hasn't done it here yet. I'm gueesing the seat won't be hot but it might start warming by next year if he doesn't get a few quality wins.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

YAWN!

seadaddy writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

To bad your Mama doesn't take up for you being a TROLL,but I can understand her disowning you, I'am sure she rather have a son that is a drag queen than one who has turned out like you have,who has no life other than to troll on the internet trying to make another person few bad as he spews out his hate.Does your Mama know what you do when you are hiding behind your computer screen trying to act like a real tough guy?
You are a VERY SMALL" mindless hateful person,I bet your family would really be embarrassed if they knew just how desperate you are for attention.
Go away little man,the vol fans don't need you or your kind on this site,you useless little trep,..........all mouth and no backup.

HallowedHill writes:

Gotta Love Mama Dooley!

GO VOLS!

bigorange61 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Naval, the problem is that people that stupid are too stupid to realize they are that stupid.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to bigorange61:

I witness that everyday. I think some people are allergic to common sense and intelligence.

OAN: I think Dooley will be alright. Starting to see this team mature, the 2012 recruiting class is taking shape, no doubt Bray will be in the NFL one day and so will Rogers and Hunter. I'm excited about the present and the future of Vol football.

Vol43 writes:

One of those trolls, I believe it's 'packer pork' or somethng like that (possible reincarnation of css) likes to name call Coach Dooley and rag on him. I'd love for him to meet Barbara in person. She kicks his butt bad knee or not!

pammyvol1000 writes:

Barbara D's got it going on!! Just get her a pair of those ORANGE PANTS!!!

WoodstockVol writes:

Mrs. Dooley is a genuine Southern Lady and a great character. Back when Vince was coaching the Dawgs, he tells the story of when he was watchiong film late one night in his home office. Babs walked between him and the screen wearing only a towel and announced, "Alright, Coach, Play me or trade me!"

Priceless...

tombo7 writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

Where is this Munson link? Gotta see this for myself.

punkin writes:

in response to born2ride:

FWIW... Dooley is on the hot seat.

Do you really think any Vol fans on here care what you think? Get a clue.

Sgt_Joe_Friday (Inactive) writes:

Just the facts - If CDD loses Sat. his SEC record falls to 3-7 - Only SEC wins against Ky, Vandy, and Ole Miss - Ga. a must win for CDD or Hart needs to start looking - Just the facts Mam

GONAVY writes:

in response to NachoPappy_76:

DT was a FIJI. Knew him. What's the connection oh wise one???

Tru138 writes:

in response to Sgt_Joe_Friday:

You go inactive at 3:00 p.m. and you're back at 4:02 p.m. Don't be a bag your whole life.

Theo writes:

in response to born2ride:

FWIW... Dooley is on the hot seat.

The only folks who write that Coach Dooley is on the hot seat are those wishing it were true. Motivation? Recruiting, insanity? Who knows. True vol fans know he has a lot of obstacles, not of his own making, and is steadily overcoming them. He will be successful and be our coach for a long time. Please return to your hovel under the bridge.

Theo writes:

in response to Sgt_Joe_Friday:

Nice try PPO. You've been outed again.

Theo writes:

in response to Sgt_Joe_Friday:

Alright idiot, if you are going to keep trying to use this moniker the word is ma'am not mam. Moron.

allvol8 writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

Apparently you have not kept up w/ recruiting Daniel Boob

allvol8 writes:

in response to Sgt_Joe_Friday:

If a frog had wings he would not bump his butt on the ground either

GatorintheKnox writes:

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to volspots:

Dooley will build the program back up, but he isn't going to take us back to 1998 levels (No, I'm not a Fulmerite. I was calling for Fulmer's firing in 2006, after the UCLA loss).

The UT program is definitely in the rebuilding phase, but there's never been a point where I get the same feeling as watching Saban rebuild Bama or Meyer rebuild UF. Both of those coaches had uninspiring first years, but they busted out of the gate with a lot of momentum in year two. Dooley's squad has shown bursts of momentum only to come crashing back down to reality. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I don't get the feeling like UT is going to take that next step with Dooley at the helm. He'll definitely get us back to 8 win seasons...but I just don't think we'll be national champs under him. Time will tell. Hope I'm wrong.

seadaddy writes:

in response to GatorintheKnox:

Yawn...

ClearVol writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Meyer rebuilt FU?! What? As much as i hate to say it, i dont remember any rebuilding there from a talent standpoint since grievin steve rolled in. The two programs , then and now, simply cannot be compared. Yes, zook was bad but what this UT program is coming out from under was disasterous.

chuckfromwoodbury writes:

in response to GONAVY:

DT was a FIJI. Knew him. What's the connection oh wise one???

F1 J1, the experimental fraternity.

Slystone writes:

Just beat the Bulldogs and Richt will be the one with a seat hot.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to ClearVol:

I bet lots of things you don't remember actually happened. Zook was coach from 2002-2004. Here are the regular season records for the two years prior to Zook: 10-2(2000), and 10-2 (2001).

Here are Zook's numbers: 8-4(2002), 8-4(2003), 7-5(2004)...with no bowl wins.

Here are Meyer's numbers: 9-3(2005), 11-1 and a BCS National Championship (2006), 8-4 (2007), & 11-1 w/ a BCS national Championship (2008).

The Gators were mediocre under Zook and won championships under Meyer. THAT is rebuilding.

It isn't the challenge that Dooley faces, but it's still rebuilding. It might not have looked like "rebuilding" because it happened so quickly, but that's what it looks like when you actually hire a proven winner as head coach.

Also, I didn't compare UT's rebuilding w/ UF's rebuilding. I compared the feeling that I got when I watched Meyer take over at UF vs. Dooley taking over at UT. With Meyer it just seemed like a matter of time before he got them into the BCS championship game. With Dooley, it seems more like a game of chance.