Tyler Bray has broken thumb, out six weeks

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) leaves the field with his right hand bandaged following their 20-12 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee.  (AP Photo/AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS - KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) leaves the field with his right hand bandaged following their 20-12 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee. (AP Photo/AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS - KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL)

The play wasn’t necessarily inevitable, but Tennessee always knew it was possible.

At some point, one snap could send Tyler Bray to the sideline with an injury and Matt Simms back out for the job he used to have.

When it finally arrived, the Vols actually got one more down out of Bray in a 20-12 loss on Saturday night to Georgia. But the next one provided the first test for an injured thumb, and more official examinations on Sunday confirmed what a fluttering pass hinted at — a broken bone on Bray’s throwing hand that will knock him out for six weeks, putting Simms back in charge again.

“The bottom line is that Matt Simms is going to come in and execute the same passing game, the same situations that we were going to be able to do with Tyler Bray,” quarterbacks coach Darin Hinshaw said during an appearance on The Derek Dooley Show. “Same thing with (freshman) Justin Worley, and that’s the way it’s going to be.

“Go out and execute, and that’s why we always give the second-string guy reps during practice and the third-string guy. We’re constantly working that offense so when he’s ready to go in, he’s ready to perform.”

Simms took advantage of his first chance to do it in a pressure situation in nearly a year, relieving Bray late in the game, completing a pair of clutch fourth-downs and punching in a touchdown with a sneak to draw the Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) within a score.

The senior ultimately didn’t have enough time to get UT any closer, but that won’t be an issue with the reins of the offense back in his hands as the program prepares for the two top-ranked teams in the country in LSU and Alabama over the next couple weeks.

After banging his hand into a Georgia helmet and suffering the fracture in his thumb, Bray will be limited to watching from the sideline during the heart of the SEC schedule for the Vols, giving them another significant injury to deal with after previously losing wide receiver Justin Hunter for the season to torn knee ligaments.

“I didn’t talk to Tyler at all about what happened after he came out,” tight end Mychal Rivera said after the game. “I’m really happy with Matt and what he came in and did. Ever since I’ve come here, Matt’s been a huge leader, Tyler’s been a huge leader and Matt’s been working hard behind Tyler all year.

“So, you know, whoever is the quarterback, I’m expecting great things from them.”

The position belongs to Simms now, and that doesn’t seem to be a complete surprise to the Vols.

Certainly, Dooley couldn’t have predicted when it might happen, or even if it actually would. But dating back as far as spring practice, the Vols coach has stressed that Simms would be needed at some point — and he was absolutely right.

“He took us down for a score, and that was something we didn’t do all game,” Dooley said on Saturday. “Of course the situation was different, but Matt’s a senior.

“I knew we were going to need him, and he knew we were going to need him.”

The Vols just didn’t know the exact details.

They came in on Sunday, and assuming Simms stays healthy, he figures to be in charge for most of the games left on the schedule.

“I’m really proud of Matt,” Hinshaw said. “All the way from this summer, getting demoted like had happened to him, it was a situation where he went in and was a leader. You see him every week trying to help Tyler, he’s also helping Justin Worley and I’m really proud of the role he’s taken.

“He also (got) ready to play every week, because that’s a situation that can happen that happened (Saturday). He put himself in a position where he made some good throws and led us down to score.”

Now the next play belongs to Simms, and somebody else will slide in and be one away behind him.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CCLC writes:

Hate it for Bray. He's turning out to be a pretty good qb......

tennesseebee writes:

I'm ok with Simms. He's tough.

VOLPhan writes:

And the hits just keep on comin.....

mtthw741 writes:

Simms will do fine. This will help Brays winning percentage as a starter.

Rebelsfball2008 writes:

1step forward....7034764068564761875390893813 steps back... this team is cursed...(not Dooley's fault)

ktm589 writes:

Read his lips when he came off the field. He knew it was broke then.

VolsToGo writes:

Maybe we'll be surprised, as in if we are even in any game, let alone win, other than Mid. TN, Vandy and KY. Wonder where we'd have ended up with Bray and Hunter...maybe next year.

P.S. - Does CDD owe Stone's family a huge debt or something? What's up with continuing to put him in the lineup?

vol64 writes:

Fell sorry for Tyler but Matt took a pounding the !st half of last season behind a very inexperienced line. He has been a credit to the team since he lost the QB job and now he gets his chance to play behind a much more experienced line. All the best to Tyler in his recovery and to Matt to show his abilities as a QB.

TartanShuttle writes:

At the risk of making some readers angry, this may be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Tennessee Football.

Not that Bray's (a gifted competitor) absense would have made a difference in the next four SEC games. Rather, that this injury will provide cover and concealment for the woeful and atrocious coaching job that our staff displayed last night.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Get ready to pass Matt we have no running game

VolsToGo writes:

in response to TartanShuttle:

Doesn't make me angry. I kept looking for defensive adjustments last night and I just didn't see any. Course in the defensive backfield, it was hard to distinguish between not following the game plan and individual incompetence.

ClemCash writes:

Fortunately it was jus his thumb. Given his stature, it could have been a lot worse v the teams ahead. Simms gives you are more durable guy.

brokendownoldvol writes:

They better tape up every joint Simms has extra tight because the way he holds on to the ball it's going to be very ugly. Ten sacks against LSU.

VolOfThe901 writes:

My prayers go out to Bray and our football team as a whole. I expect Simms to do well, he did a good job considering the circumstances he was under. We'll put up a fight against LSU and Bama. Not saying we're gonna win, but we'll compete. This team doesn't back down because of adversity. They didn't back down after losing Hunter in the Florida game, they didn't back down after going down by 14 and losing Bray last night, and they won't back down next week. This is a rebuilding year. Let's stay optimistic. Go Vols!

thevoice writes:

Just another excuse for losing the next few games.

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

The news continues to be bad! Maybe the rest of the team will suck it up and play good football while he is gone. With Bray we have an uphill battle...without him we have a mountain to climb. Best of luck to Simms!! Go Vols!!

samuelroger4 writes:

Who's directly behind Simms....Worley or Nance?

Simms will do alright, he's a good back-up...I am curious to see what the other guys look like in case we make any additional QB changes for whatever reasons...I've seen some of Worley and Nance's Scout videos and they both look pretty good.

...also, hope to see Devrin Young and Lane continue to create some exciting plays...

UTSmokey04 writes:

I am a UT fan as much as the next guy but there are a ton of concerning developments year two of this staff.

1. This isn't Purdue. I'm not sure what the sudden love of five receiver sets stems from, but Drew Brees isn't the quarterback and this isn't the Big 10 filled with slow and undersized corners. You aren't going to run for 300 yards like UT teams of the 80's and early 90's, I get that. But the Vols have to TRY to run the ball more than 12-15 times a game.

2. I have no idea what our defensive game plan is week in and week out. I've studied defenses from playing in high school, college and now coaching and I can't figure it out for the life of me. Please stop blaming this on "freshman and sophomores." It's not that.

3. I can not remember the Vols looking this slow. DB's are routinely burnt. Linebackers can not go sideline to sideline anymore. This is the SEC. Speed is the only thing that counts. See LSU, Alabama and Florida's defenses for examples.

4. When are these IMPACT recruits going to show up? Where is Byron Moore at? Maurice Couch plays 10 plays a game and I'm not sure he's got a tackle. Justin Coleman was lighting it up supposedly, and now can't get on the field. Matt Milton? Corey Miller playing out of position? Jacque Smith not getting to the QB like we thought he would. You can't "miss" this much in recruiting. Can UT not develop it's recruits?

4. Things will more than likely get out of hand against LSU and Alabama. If that is the case, it's time to play Nash Nance. I love Simms for sticking to his UT committment, but he answers no questions as to UT's depth. No, Justin Worley isn't going to play. Simms, Nance and Raulston would play first. UT will not burn Worley's redshirt so fans shouldn't call for him.

5. Can UT please play Raijon Neal at RB and not at Flex WR or whatever it is they are doing? Neal as a freshman was better than Lane as a freshman.

All and all, I'm still a UT fan, and will root for them till the day I die, but there are a lot of questions in my head about how UT plays, schemes, etc.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Digital5000 writes:

in response to mtthw741:

Simms will do fine. This will help Brays winning percentage as a starter.

hahaha. Good stuff.

and true

-Enjoy Yoselves

samuelroger4 writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

we'll do better than many think against LSU. Cant wait to watch this one...also, Im going to the Bama game, I'm more nervous for Bama than LSU...

VolQB writes:

Matt Simms always looks like he is looking for a soft landing even with no pass rush.

We have the talent on both sides of the ball. Vols are low on depth and will be for another year. I miss the platoon days for linemen subsitutions.

Our problem points to the Off and Def coordinators. Predictable on offense and no aggression on defense. You would think DD went outside of the south to get coordinators. Oh, he did? They are way out of the SEC league.

McMinnVol writes:

in response to TartanShuttle:

Does that make me angry that you wrote that? No, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But it does make me wonder why anyone would want to waste their time being a "Vols fan" with that kind of attitude.

These kinds of statements are mind boggling to me.

GO VOLS. GET BETTER SOON, TYLER!

UTSmokey04 writes:

in response to VolsToGo:

No, CDD and UT is playing him out of position. He's a left guard. He was an All American. He's never played Center before getting to UT. It's evident at times.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to mtthw741:

Simms will do fine. This will help Brays winning percentage as a starter.

what a dumb comment

wagee12 writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

These kinds of statements are mind boggling to me.

GO VOLS. GET BETTER SOON, TYLER!

More than just mind boggling my friend. It displays a total ignorance of the situation that this staff inherited at UT and also a complete lack of knowledge about the game of football. Of course, most of us can be thankful for the fact that this staff will be given the time to recruit and re-construct this program the right way. I often wonder what kind of hell the wives, children and pets of some of these guys catch on a daily basis!

VolGrad writes:

Looking for the silver lining....

GBO!

VOLinATL writes:

Hoooo boy.

TartanShuttle writes:

in response to UTSmokey04:

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Gotta catch a plane so this will be my last comment for a while.

Last night I sat with 8 other lettermen (great reunion), one an All American guard and another who led the SEC in rushing.It was my first game to attend in person since 1985. After a few libations and lies, to a man, we all came to the conclusion that this was one of the most pathetic coaching performances ever put on by a UT staff.

Every coach pulls bonehead plays and some cost coaches their careers - Battle, Majors, and Fulmer. This was more than that. It was systemic incompetence in every phase of the game.

I like Coach Dooley, but honestly don't believe he's built for the rigors of today's much more vicious SEC. Again, no disrespect

GBO

volsgirl23 writes:

Time for Simms and the rest of the team to prove their flexibility. This is just another learning experience for a young team. We'll see how they adjust. Get Well Soon, Bray, and last but not least, GO BIG ORANGE!!

JayGee writes:

Same as last year. Simms gets to play the tougher teams and Bray gets the rest. But we all know Bray is a very good QB and the most talented and hope he returns soon.

beaus27 writes:

I think it's high time we return the favor to LSU. Ruin their season with a lose, using our backup QB. LSU loves ruining our season using their 3rd string QB or baseball player at QB(2001 SEC Champ.).

Oenoboy writes:

I hate this for Bray but look forward to seeing how Simms performs. Let's hope he proves Desmond Howard wrong and shows he's an SEC caliber QB by leading us to a couple of victories this month.

GO VOLS!!

c9bcc writes:

Is it 4 weeks until he can practice? If it is he will be out a lot longer regaining the strength in his hand.

thevoice writes:

in response to TartanShuttle:

Gotta catch a plane so this will be my last comment for a while.

GBO

My thoughts exactly. Still waiting for someone to explain what this staff has done to make us believe better things are coming. Or do we just exercise blind faith?

cpahiker#231287 writes:

I guess a broken thumb and 4 weeks isn't half as bad as what the Alabama or LSU defense would have done to him, his presence wouldn't change the outcome this year anyway.

tway14 writes:

Time to pull the redshirt off of Worley!

Caneoverthere writes:

Damn!

Millisa writes:

Get Well Soon Tyler Now its' time for Simms and the Vols to Step Up and as Coach Pat Summitt says "Take Ownership Of the game."

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to UTSmokey04:

Feel free to add your thoughts.

Dooley is 9-9 as our coach.

He was 17-20 at La. Tech.

This coaching staff hasn't recruited speed. They've recruited 2-3 star recruits that everyone else in the country overlooked.

Ironcity writes:

in response to UTSmokey04:

Feel free to add your thoughts.

My reply 22 rushes 9 of them for negative yards. I would be OK if Poole never touched the ball again. our RB's turn 1 yard gains into 4 yard losses. Worst backs at UT since Kelsey Finch an Frank Foxx. I would take 4 and 5 wides all day with bray taking the snap rather then have Poole lose 4 yards on a play that is designed to lose a minimum of 1 yard at its worst.

You want instant gratification from our young guys but the reality is they are still learning and they are still not their yet. If these guys were playing at UA or LSU they would not play at all until their third year.

I agree with your assessment of what our defense is doing. Saw Wilcox at Boise press cover all the time. Now all I see is guys standing 10 yards off the ball. Our recognition of the plays is the worst I have seen in the country. I don't think their has been a play fake that hasn't worked against us. We are the only team not to pound Murray into the ground this year. He must of thought they were playing 6 on 6 with no lines. 6 bombs off of play fakes and not one time did a linemen or LB sniff Murray. I am sure Teague wasn't suppose to cover the guy for 6 seconds.

Rajon had two carries and two fumbles I think he is averaging a fumble every 5 touches. You don't play if you can't hold on to the ball.

Its hard to realize how bad it was when Dooley got here. He has done a good job recruiting and keeping these guys together. However you cannot expect UT to compete when is starting 2 Seniors one of which wouldn't start for any other team in the SEC and 4 Juniors two of which Dooley recruited.

Throw on top of all of that our best WR, our best LB, Our best QB and our best RB (though thats debatable) will miss most or all the crucial games on our schedule.

Though I question some of Dooleys decisions during the game, I appreciate what he has done and where this program is going.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to thevoice:

Johnny Majors first two years saw a 4-7 and 5-5-1 record. Took him 5 seasons to win a bowl game. What did that staff do to make you think better times were coming? You don't have any choice but to wait.

FearlessFreep writes:

Not to be too negative - I understand the program was 'decimated' as Dooley puts it, but they are doing a lot of things wrong right now.
UT can't:
-Run the football
-Get pressure on the opposing QB
-Cover receivers well
and now they won't be able to pass the ball either. Ugh. Makes for a really long stretch coming up.

You think the boo birds are howling now? Just wait four or five weeks.

volmac72 writes:

in response to thevoice:

Just another excuse for losing the next few games.

I agree. UT will lose the next few games with or without Bray and Hunter. After watching the past fews games, UT was destined to lose the Florida game the same. The first words of excuse that will come out of Dooley's and the kool-aid drinking sportswriters'mouth after LSU's smackdown on UT, will be youth, injuries, and everything other excuse under the sun. The university just need to ante up and pay whatever it takes to get a winnning coaching staff. Other schools don't look for excuses, they hire and hire til they get it right. Ron Zook had a winning record at Florida but 7-5 was too subpar for that program (two or three NCs since Zook). UT needs to adopt the same mentality! Since 1998, mediocrity seems to be ok with the university and some fans.

SevenT writes:

I hate to hear this, but am not surprised after what I saw of TB yesterday after the injury. Going to be a long season.

GO VOLS

SummittsCourt writes:

I believe Matt Simms will be surprising many over the next 4 weeks. He is better than what most people give him credit for.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to volmac72:

UT has a very large and very loyal fan base of which, I'm proud to say I'm one. But, UT also has a group of nit wit fans who have absolutely no concept of how to coach football at any level. Unfortunately, most of them do know well how to type.

I really like the football genius quotes like "We should have went out and got the best and paid big money like Alabama." Really? So Bama just finally said we're tired of not winning, let's hire Nick Saban for $4 mil a year. Really? No, hell no, not really.

Saban was hired as the 3rd or 4th choice in the Bama coach hunt after they told Shula he was done. For sure at least 3rd choice. The job was turned down by Rich Rod (w. Va. at the time) and Jim Grobe (Wake Forrest) for certain. Frank Beamer (V. Tech) made it clear he didn't want it before it was offered. Not to mention John Gruden and a couple of other NFL guys who wouldn't touch it.

So, for any Bama know it all who wants to say how they finally got tired of mid range coaching and went and got the best I say -- Really?

Or, how about the know it alls who say "why does UT go after a mid major coach without a winning record? We (like hell we, how 'bout you) should have gotten a coach like Auburn got with Chizik." Really?

Gene Chizik when hired for the Auburn job had a career record of 5 wins 19 losses, all at Iowa State. Big timer, wasn't he?

Those who say the big names don't want UT now are mostly right. Hopefully, UT did a good job with Dooley. Truthfully, we wont know for sure for a year or two more.

Why would a big time, big name coach want to come in here and replace the current coach? Money? Hell no! If they are already big time, they are already getting paid! They wouldn't come here now for the same reason Gruden wouldn't go to Bama in 2007. Why? Because, they do not want to stake their name and rep. at a school where the expectations of the base are completely unrealistic.

You same geniuses who are grumbling about Dooley now were the ones who wanted Kiffin in here. Well, you got him!

Like it or not, UT has to rebuild and it's gonna take some time. I'm a proud UT fan but some of you guys don't know a thing about football. However, you can sure type...

shorttail writes:

in response to UTSmokey04:

Feel free to add your thoughts.

so run the ball 50 times and end up with 4 yards at end of game, it's stupid to even try and run the ball. this o-line won't be any better ever.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to TartanShuttle:

You blame the defeat of a sophomore team by a more experienced and mature team on our coaching? Remember that Georgia blew us out last year? We were competitive this year. These kids are a year away and maybe two before they will beat the likes of Georgia and South Carolina or Florida. They are at least two years away from competing with the elite top teams of the conference. But this coaching staff is recruiting well, and as long as they are doing that then they are making steady progress. Maybe our coaches didn't do a great job yesterday, but if it weren't for this staff, Georgia would blow us out again and we'd still be struggling with the UAB's of this world. Don't you remember last season? Can't you see the progress?

givehim6 writes:

in response to VolOfThe901:

I know I posted this on another story but now it is gone, anyway this may sound silly. UT could prove there better UF by losing to LSU by say only 14 where UF got there butts kicked 30 ish, same with Bama. So let's try to get behind our guys even in a lose, a 20-12 lose looks better then 40-11.

DocJas writes:

Bray hasnt shown me anything in SEC games
I dont see what the big deal is. Against the lesser teams he good but SEC he seems to choke. Like the coaching staff