Matt Simms says 'this isn't my first rodeo'

Know your Vols: Quarterbacks Matt Simms and Nash Nance

Tennessee quarterback Matt Simms passes the ball against Georgia at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011. UT lost the game 20-12. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS/2011

Matt Simms is getting a second chance to run the Tennessee offense.

He’s also getting another crack at the team he most wanted to face again.

The circumstances surrounding the senior’s return to the starting lineup might not be ideal, with Simms suddenly thrust back into the lineup thanks to Tyler Bray’s broken thumb and with a top-ranked opponent waiting on deck for the Vols at Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.). But Simms made clear there’s nobody he’d rather be playing than No. 1 LSU, even without much time to ease back into a first-team role.

“I did an interview with someone in the summer and they asked me who was the one team I would love to go against,” Simms said after practice on Tuesday morning. “I said LSU, and I got what I wished for.

“I mean, I think everyone kind of realizes that this isn’t my first rodeo. I played in a lot of big games last year, and obviously I’m not afraid to get hit. I’m just looking forward to it, looking forward to the experience. It’s a tough position for all of us, and we’ve just got to focus and win our first SEC game.”

Simms nearly produced a big one on the road against the Tigers (6-0, 3-0 SEC) last year before some late-game theatrics on defense led to a heartbreaking loss for the Vols (3-2, 0-2). A couple weeks after that, Simms also lost his job with Bray relieving him and leading UT to four consecutive wins and a bowl bid down the stretch.

But the memory of the near-miss with Simms at the helm has seemingly been enough to ease the sting of seeing Bray in a cast with a sling on his right arm as he starts a rehab process that could take six weeks. And while his numbers weren’t all that eye-catching at Tiger Stadium, his 12-of-23 passing effort for 121 yards with a 3-yard touchdown on the ground were enough to put UT in position for a major upset.

“Simms is a great quarterback, and last year LSU was ranked high and he led us down there and we beat up on them pretty bad right up until the end of the game,” left guard Alex Bullard said. “So, we have confidence in Matt coming in. We can definitely win with Matt, and we can beat LSU with Matt playing quarterback.”

Without the substitution problems or with one or two less seconds on the clock, the Vols might have definitive proof of that already.

Either way, the close call against the Tigers, the toughness Simms showed while facing relentless pressure and getting sacked five times, and the way he’s handled himself since losing his job to Bray all earned him the respect of his teammates. And now he’s officially back to try to lead them to a significant victory.

“You know, it was a good first day, just getting accustomed to being the starter again — just in time for the No. 1 team in the country,” Simms said. “I’m excited about that and looking forward to it.

“It definitely helps to know that we did perform well down there. But then again, there were a lot of things that we could have done a lot better. This year, we have to refocus our energy and make sure that we concentrate on the little details to beat a team like this.”

The Vols went back to work cleaning them up with Simms officially in charge — for the second time.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

HooRay_Vol writes:

Go Matt! And stay healthy!

CoverOrange writes:

One bone to pick: Simms did not nearly produce a win at LSU last year. How many points did the offense put up? More credit to the defense.

That said, with a full plus year in the system for Simms, Rogers&Rogers, et al, and watching Bray not hesitate on pulling the trigger, I expect Simms to perform much better. However, if he throws another Erik Ainge style underhanded slinging intentional grounding pass, I reserve the right to shoot my TV right between their eyes.

secten#238516 writes:

Go Matt Go! takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

spvol writes:

I like Matt's attitude; I like the whole team's attitude. Just give it all you've got, guys, and good things just might happen. GBO!!!

Bigger_Al writes:

Glad Matt Simms is a Vol. Interesting that nobody has written on Chief coming back to Neyland for the first time in about 25 years as an opponent.

VOLliven2it writes:

They have absolutetly nothing at all to lose. So go play your hearts out guys. If that o-line doesn't have motivation in this game they can't ever get it in my expert-lacking opinion. Matt, I'm glad we have you no matter what happens. You give your all for the Vols these next few games and that will be all we can ask. Yes the defense needs to really show up too. But that is not part of the Matt package. GO BIG ORANGE!

rockytop0320 writes:

In a year were the Vols really aren't contending for a title a win here or next week will make this season special. Not saying it will happen but hey this is y college football is so great. I hate that bray went down but simms has his shot to lead this team once more and not have the rest of his life wondering what could have been. After the loss to uga I didn't know if I could stand to watch the next couple but I will be pulling like heck for our Vols! Go big orange

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

Well, being realistic here. Be careful what you wish for Mr. Simms. Too late! I hope you survive! Or maybe we will be able to get a good look at Mr. Worely.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

I wish the chief woulda never left!

rockytop0320 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

I agree with ur statement completely.Almost every year the top two or three teams have a game that comes down to the wire with a lesser opponent, leave nothing on the field. This team hasn't quit all year, maybe lost their way here and there but id like to see us get up early in one of these big games and get our swagger up from the get go. These players and coaches need our support this Saturday maybe more than ever to hold this team together

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

I guess I have been dreading this month for a couple of weeks now. But with the UGA game out of the way, I like what you have to say. We need to let it all hang out and just have fun with it. Without a miracle, we are out of the hunt. We have no pressure, and LSU and BAMA have a ton. Maybe we can accidently scare the crud out of one or both of those teams. GBO!

Mr_Brownstone writes:

Matt, just tank it on first and second down. Maybe no yards on first and minus five or eight on second. Then you will have LSU right where you want 'em; third and chavis.

Brantley's leg - buhahahahahaha

bobbarbilly writes:

Sounds like Matt is strapping on his spurs. YAHOO!! Ride 'um cowboy !! Let's git 'er done!!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

I am pretty sure Chavis will be intimidated. He will most likely put in the Mustang Package the whole game to compensate for his nervousness.

rockytop0320 writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

I wish the chief woulda never left!

I agree with u, but very few of us realized what kind of coach we had at the time all the 3rd and chavis talk and all the jokes on the "mustang package". He was a players coach and they loved playing for the guy. He looks like the best in the country now. And the truth is he didn't get the respect he deserved while he was here at ut

writer#358485 writes:

Sims will do fine. This year always was going to be "iffy". We're only in the second year of a serious rebuilding job. The team is young, the coaches are young--at least with respect to playing in the SEC.

Injuries to some of our best players have hurt and will continue to do so. At best this year (all the breaks going our way) we were a 7-8 win team. The breaks haven't gone our way, so we're a 6-win team. However, the players and coaches are getting much-needed experience. We'll be better next year--we're actually better this year in some respects. Both the Florida and Georgia games could have gone our way with a few better breaks.

I personally think Dooley has what it takes to grow and learn as an SEC coach--his genes and background certainly are strong. As that happens and the freshmen and sophomores become sophomores and juniors, we'll get stronger. It may take two years more, but we'll get there! Meanwhile I'll be patient. The rebuilding would have been quicker had Hamilton not fired Fulmer and hired Lamebrain, but we'll get there. Tennessee has too many things going for it to remain down for very long.

Go Vols!

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Listened to ex Titan Blane Bishop yesterday on a Nashville talk show and his comments were this about Ut..Why is the running game worse this year than last year? Basicly same line with more experience and same talent at running backs. He went on to say the running backs are not very talented but the line is poorly coached and has no explosion off the ball. With good coaching this line should be better and its not. Both guys said UT was a poorly coached team on fundamentals and alignment problems still excist.He also said the defensive backfield returned more starters with experience than last year and is much worse. Georgia had WR's running wide open deep patterns all day. Blaine is not a troll its just his professional oppinion, one I have preached since the season started. I like Matt Simms but Im not sure I would add Locker room material knowing the offensive line he is playing behind has allowed more sacks than any SEC school the last 1.5 years. LSU plays Bama next week, better to let them overlook UT rather than make comments to wake them up.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to rockytop0320:

No doubt, but we all realize it now. I am all for giving Wilcox a chance, but it seemed like we were always a top ten defense when he was the defensive coordinator.

CCLC writes:

He's gonna feel like he's been in a rodeo and run over by the bull after that LSU game.
-9,-20, rushing D will get a QB killed when he attempts to put it on his shoulders. LSU will bring the house. What is the over/under one Simms finishing the game?
just sayin'

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Uhhhhhh! Not sure what game you are handy capping there? BAMA plays Tennessee next week. You are quite a pro I guess. Might be time to change your name. This weekend is LSU/Tennessee, and next week is BAMA/Tennessee. So get your weeks straight, "professional handycamper".

givehim6 writes:

I fill good having Simms under center aginst LSU think he will bring that SR. leadership to UT at a time we need all the help we can get, now if he can just learn to get ride of the ball faster. If noone is open whos to say a tuck and runs to gain a few extra yards may be the sparke to Vols need, he is a tough kid.

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

I don't really understand all this Simms love...

Funny how nobody talks about Simms throwing his O-Line under the bus last year to the media after he was yanked in the SC game.

That is something that just shouldn't happen from a Junior QB on his third college program.

stovepipedrinker writes:

Cowboy Up! Someone will eventually beat LSU.....Why not the Vols this weekend?

rockytop0320 writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

Yup seemed as tho every year we could always depend on having a top defense. I've been a supporter for wilcox but don't understand a lot of his decisions. He was a 3-4 coach until he got here, I know we do.t have the players to run it. The uga game he played zero coverage to help stop the run but didnt get pressure on Murray, u can't leave them out on an island all day. Id rather make crowell beat me than to focus on him and leave it to murray. But hey the plan worked. If we thought we could hold them to 20 points we'd take it thinking we could put a lot more up on offense

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

You may have a point there. Al Wilson and Leonard Little were not too shabby. But wait, who do we give credit to for those recruits? You are about to get attacked and called a Fulmer lover by some of the people on here if you arent careful. lol.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to rockytop0320:

So true. If anyone would have told me that we wouldnt have a touchdown until the 4th quarter, I would have told them they were crazy. I figured we could put up 20 ourselves for sure. So much for the two touchdown pass streak that Bray had going.

CCLC writes:

in response to stovepipedrinker:

Cowboy Up! Someone will eventually beat LSU.....Why not the Vols this weekend?

you're not just drankin' the Kool-Aid.... you're making it.
just sayin'

rockytop0320 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

True, but it goes hand in hand great players make coaches look great and great coaches make players look great. But I would agree they have good players. There absolutely staked everywhere on d

Biggie writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

I wish the chief woulda never left!

Lane Kiffin, the gift that keeps on giving....

rockytop0320 writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

The first half we moved the ball great just couldn't finish the drives, I thought we out played them in the first half. Riveria was open seemed like every play. I wondered what changed the 2nd half play calling or ga defense change coverage. I think we struggled more in the 2nd half in that game more than we have all season. When u can't run the ball we have to punch it in the checkerboard and not settle for fgs

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to rockytop0320:

Yeah, they definitely made some adjustments at half time for Rivera. He was getting the bulk of the work the first half. And he was impressive. It did seem that we couldnt move very well the 2nd half, but the high snaps and low snaps on 2nd and 3rd down were killing us again. And the Lane touchdown being called back seemed to deflate us a bit. I believe that we got shafted a few times in that game by the officials, but we had a play or two go our way also. But when it went our way, it took points away, and when it went Georgias way, it gave them points on the board.

VolsFanJL91 writes:

Hey guys, its a little early to be calling for someone's job. The situation Dooley was put in was tough. Tennessee's football program was so damaged by years of neglect along with Lames actions, that we knew (or should have known) it would take awhile to turn around. However, its right to point out that the Vols are struggling with the basics. I've seen high schools with better special teams. I cringe everytime I see a kicker run on the field because I know there's a good chance the game is about to turn(and seldom for the good). As for the running game, it's hard to expect much when the defense has more players in the backfield than we do. I'm not sure why we are getting pushed around on the o-line. These guys should be able to at least hold their ground. We look soft. And I don't even want to talk about the snaps from center.
Like I said, I'm not ready to throw Dooley under the bus, but these ARE legitimate issues that should have been fixed in preseason. At this point, I think the entire coaching staff needs to step up and better prepare these kids for whats coming.

rockytop0320 writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

I always hate to put blame on the zebras but the 2 p.I. calls on #9 really got us. The first one was not even close the second one was iffy. Just heard on ESPN south Carolina qb Garcia seems to have done something again and has been dismissed for the 104th time

Knocknox writes:

Too bad he can't expect the run game to help him out. Check out some sobering facts about our anemic rush offense.

41_14gbo writes:

in response to writer#358485:

Go Vols!

Here. Here #358485. Thanks for straight talk.
As much as I always hated Alabama (UT Knoxville Grad 1985) I appreciate what they are now doing now as they had their time mud pit. We are climbing out of the pit, just won't show in Wins and Losses this year. I'd challenge any good team (which we are not) to play our next three games and come out winning two of the three. Tough times, but this too shall pass. Our team's talent is young they are growing up – when mature they will be hard to deal with.

orangenation1968 writes:

I want someone to come out sat and give thier all for Tennessee!!! GBO!!!

usafvol writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Why so negative? Sounds like you really need a drink there "Merlot"..

beaus27 writes:

Though Bray is a more entertaining QB, I always felt bad for Simms.
I am glad he's getting another shot at the offense helm in his senior year.
Hopefully Simms' time in Manning camp, will pay off on Saturday.
GO VOLS!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Saw your Rodeo last season. Hope it's improved this season.

min32926#266113 writes:

Good luck Matt...go Vols!

usafvol writes:

I think Simms is actually a pretty good QB with a strong arm but was too indesive last year. He holds on to the ball too long; he need to make his reads earlier and get rid of it. While this isn't his "first rodeo"; it may be his last if he doesn't get rid of the ball quicker against these guys coming to town. Good luck MS!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to rockytop0320:

R T 0320,

Like you, I'd love to see us get up early. And I don't like saying this but.............more than likely, we'll defer and trail 7-0, playing catch up the rest of the way.

Both Florida and Georgia took the kickoff and away they went.

It would be awesome if Young took the opening K O
and took it all the way.........at least giving us good field position.

Dream on? Maybe!

Volunatic writes:

in response to rockytop0320:

Al "Vandy" Matthews was the Line Judge in that game (same guy from the 2000 jabar gaffney non-catch). I thought the conference had banned him from refereeing UT games. Apparently that changed, but with similar results as before.
I will NOT say that referees made the difference in that game, but every questionable penalty that went against Tennessee on Saturday was called by Matthews.

rumaso writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

If you had a clue who you were talking about you wouldn't swallow some ex Titan's opinion who has never coached a single player. Harry Hiestand knows more about coaching an OL than almost anyone in college or professional football. In 2006 the Chicago Bears won an NFC championship and played in the Super bowl with Harry Hienstand as the OL coach. Year in and year out, throughout his career, his OL's have exceled. If the OL at UT is sucking hind tit it isn’t about coaching, its about a bunch of young players who are generally up against junior and senior DL players from the best teams in the nation, from the best damn conference in the nation, with the best damn defenses in the nation. Go Big Orange!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

LSU plays Alabama in November. It is highly unlikely they will overlook 3 weeks of games just thinking about Bama. And how are you any sort of a professional handicapper if you didnt even know that UT plays Bama next week?

The amount of interest I have in hearing what Blaine Bishop (who played for Ball State) has to say about Tennessee football is about as much as the interest I have in hearing what you have to say. NONE.

Scat!

volfan2002 writes:

Playing teams like LSU is how a team really gets better. I hope our young guys will battle as hard as they can to the last minute. That is all we can ask them to do.

cpahiker#231287 writes:

in response to rockytop0320:

so true

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

He's got to find a receiver and throw the ball much faster. If nobody is open throw it away; do something besides take a sack. He was TERRIBLE last year. Being tough is not as good as being good.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Well, when the two announcers are calling out the refs, and the two Georgia fans that I was watching the game with said they were bad calls, then I tend to lean toward them being bad calls. lol
Take away one of the pass interference calls, and Georgia had to settle for a field goal. Give us back Marlin Lanes run after he rolled over the defender, and we have 7 more points, or maybe 6 since we cant kick a freaking extra point. I think the refs might have made the difference in the game.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Knocknox:

OK dude, you wrote it, we're impressed. So you quote figures we have known since Saturday. What's your point? Sheesh.