5 Big Things against LSU

5 Big Things

1. Look Out For No. 1: Tennessee is 2-8 against No. 1-ranked teams. Both of the wins came in Knoxville against SEC foes with Heisman Trophy winners on board, LSU and Billy Cannon in 1959 and Auburn and Bo Jackson in 1985. The most recent No. 1 to visit was Miami, which dominated in a 26-3 win in 2002.

2. Hail To The Chief: LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis coaches against his alma mater in Neyland Stadium for the first time. The last time Chavis was in the house was the gloomy 2008 season-finale, wrapping up 14 years as Phillip Fulmer's defensive coordinator. While the visitors' booth in the press box could seem a tad awkward, Chavis might have the best talent of his career at his disposal.

3. Running Forward: The Vols' running game will improve today, for no other reason than because it can't get any worse than last week. Keep in mind improvement could mean minus-5 yards. That's how low the bar is. Here's a prediction for positive yardage. Onward and upward.

4. Beware the Badger: LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, aka the Honey Badger, is a turnover-producing machine. Midway through his sophomore year he is already LSU's career leader in forced fumbles. The Vols could take pointers. They haven't intercepted a pass since the opener and have captured an SEC-low five turnovers. Mathieu has that many himself.

5. QB's Best Friend: After a shutout against Montana, tight end Mychal Rivera has warmed up to rank as UT's No. 2 receiver in the post-Justin Hunter world. Rivera has 19 catches for 248 yards, which makes him the only tight end among the SEC's top 10 receivers. He's on track to surpass the 39 catches by Luke Stocker in 2010 and Jason Witten in 2002. For Matt Simms' sake, Rivera had better stay on track.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

asleep#212036 writes:

LSU's defense can be thrown against IF Simms has the time. Unfortunately for us, our offensive line has just not been the force we all thought it could be. The only way to keep Simms on his feet is to soften up their pass rush with some runs, and not just a couple scattered here and there. If we can't run any better than we did against Georgia and Florida, this game will get ugly in a hurry as LSU is WAY better than either of those teams. To win this game we would have to play perfectly and even then, LSU would have to help us some. There's just too much disparity in the talent level right now. However, this is college football and the better team doesn't always win. Go Vols!!!

EastTNvolfan writes:

I remain optimistic. Nobody expects us to win and we have had some key players step up as of recently. Simms has control of the team (at least for 4-6 weeks) and I am sure he is eager to show his ability after being replaced last year. Plus this is a revenge game for UT from the previous year. I wouldn't bet money on a win, but I wouldn't rule it out either. GBO!

SummittsCourt writes:

Simms three steps back and fires all day...

it's the only way

vol64 writes:

This is somewhat off-subject but, if you think LSU's nickname derives from the the Bengal Tiger, you would be wrong. The following is from an article written by Dr. Terry L. jones for the New York Times on-going series on the Civil War or WONA, if you prefer:

"The Tigers’ name lives on today. Contrary to popular belief, the Louisiana State University Tigers are not named for a ferocious feline but for Louisiana’s most famous Civil War soldiers. In the early 1900s, Dr. Charles E. Coates of Louisiana State University was trying to decide on a name for the football team. When he was told that the Louisiana Tigers were the toughest set of men who ever lived, he chose them as his mascot.

Sources: Terry L. Jones, “Lee’s Tigers: The Louisiana Infantry in the Army of Northern Virginia”;"

As an added note, whoever adopted the Bengal Tiger as LSU's mascot made a wise choice considering this PC age we now live in. The same cannot be said for the adopter(s) of the Ole Miss Rebels.....errr, Black Bears mascot.

vol64 writes:

I should have said "As an added note whoever adopted the Bengal Tiger and LSU's public image mascot made a wise choice.......".

Dwinsgames writes:

I thought that Randy Sanders was the worst O coordinator but he is quickly becoming second to the clown we now have. This guy has no clue on how to use a FB to improve the run game. I would think he would take both of them in the backfield and run the power I. What could it hurt given our current output.

mdvol writes:

With "Chief" running the LSU defense, lets pray we are in 3rd and 18 situations all day! Automatic FIRST DOWN!!!

All we can do is try and play our best. Watch for some trickeration tomorrow. Fake punts, etc. I would love to see a dump to DaRick who slings it down field to an uncovered Rajon Neal.

Never count out the VOLS!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Dwinsgames:

You may not like Chaney, but there is NO NEED to resort to name-calling..Good grief!! I guess it's easy to call someone names than to say it to their face.

Smokey says you may not agree with his play-calling, but at least disagree in a classy manner..

As for the game, I don't give the Vols much of a chance, but as the old saying goes"That's why they play the game."

IMO,LSU will come into Neyland overconfident and cocky,as they should..The Vols need to smack the Tigers in the mouth early to let them know you are ready to play and compete..and not bow down to the #1 team in the nation.

Smokey says play like you have nothing to lose..

UTKin1992 writes:

SNAP OUT OF IT!

There's either mass delusion or just plain stupidity at play on this board today:

"Fire in Simm's eyes"?
"Never count the Vols out"?
"LSU will be overconfident"?

Get real fellow Volunteers...a whole lotta butt-kicking is in store for us! Then comes Alabama, then comes SC, then comes Arkansas, and don't rule out Kentucky and Vanderbilt!

Now...let the rabid optimist's insults commence!

silverstang writes:

5 big things against LSU

1. Pray
2. Pray
3. Pray
4. Pray
5. Pray

I bleed orange and love my volunteers but I don't see any way that this game or the next will have any kind of favorable outcome for us...

kantanuuv writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Simms three steps back and fires all day...

it's the only way

In the SEC that's a recipe for losing.

It was served up hot n steamy against Florida and Georgia, remember?

kantanuuv writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

SNAP OUT OF IT!

"Fire in Simm's eyes"?
"Never count the Vols out"?
"LSU will be overconfident"?

Now...let the rabid optimist's insults commence!

Vole fans have officially reached rock bottom when you stop counting Kaintuck as a certain "W".

Visor writes:

to UTKin1992; it's clear you've never played a down in your life,we all know no one gives us a chance,our team and our coaches will not lay down,and our true fans won't either,we volunteer for a fight,we wouldn't quit like you,now go pick up your crayons

givehim6 writes:

LSU has Tyrann "the honey badger" Mathieu, UT has Matt "true grit" Simms. Sounds like a boxing match.

oldbasshead writes:

I know UT is young an now limping with key players injured. However, UT played LSU last year at LSU to a draw. Howcome, LSU is now so dominant and UT is so mediocre? I don't understand the lack of progress being displayed by UT this season.

AtLannaVol writes:

This is a winnable game:
1. We need some interceptions and fumble recoveries--the kind that come when a team is overlooking its opponents.
2. Draws and screens. Let em rush past you if you can't block em.
3. Simms gets a couple over the top. (it could happen)
4. The Hat does something stupid. (even money)

There you have it. recipe for the upset of the year in college football.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

I will sit and watch my Vols this weekend no matter how painful it MAY be. Jack D. will keep me company however to make it tolerable. :-)

TennesseeForever writes:

in response to Dwinsgames:

I agree with the idea of loading up in the power I a few times. Sort of like we did in 1990 vs Ole Miss (in what was a big game that season) with Greg Amsler at RB. I guess Fugate is in the doghouse and, once again, I don't look to see him out there much this week. If Lane struggles, I would say it couldn't hurt to try it out.

TennesseeForever writes:

in response to mdvol:

Never count out the VOLS!

Some trickery would be nice to see. Hey, why not? We have nothing to lose. A WR pass play, an onside kick at some point, a fake kick/punt, etc. Let's put it all out there and see if we can make a couple of things happen. Go Vols.

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to Visor:

Thanks for living up to my expectations "visor"!Let me know how that blind optimism works out for you.

None the less, I love my Vols but I know where we are NOW, and it's just going to take some time.

Theo writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

SNAP OUT OF IT!

"Fire in Simm's eyes"?
"Never count the Vols out"?
"LSU will be overconfident"?

Now...let the rabid optimist's insults commence!

No insult but if you are that much of a pessimist. Think that the best team wins each weekend and that the Vols don't even belong on the field with most of the SEC - then why in the world are you on a Vols chat room? You obviously don't enjoy the Vols, or perhaps only when they win so go do something else.
Sometimes I think these negative nellies use their gloom and doom as a defense mechanism. If we lose "I told you so." If we win you're just happy to be wrong because your team won.
Being a fan means believing through thick or thin.

RetainDerekDooleyPlease writes:

I support Derek Dooley, and I believe he'll have the troops fired up. With his plan in place, I wouldn't be bit suprised if UT gets that -5 yards rushing for the game. If you trolls don't think that's progress you don't know anything about football. With a -5 yard rushing performace against LSU, Nick Saban had better watch out. With the way Coach Dooley's getting it done, I'm predicting UT will take MTSU. Book it.

UT might slip to 5-7 this year, but with Bray and Hunter back next year, I think 6-6 is a definite possibility.

Derek Dooley is the Man!

kd45music writes:

I'd like to think we have a chance, but it's somewhere between slim to none.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Is anyone else like me as far as watching the Vols get slaughtered? When we are getting beaten so badly, I have to turn the channel for a few minutes until UT has the ball, then I will watch the offense. Sometimes the defense makes me sick to watch!!

LSU 45
UT 3

Ala. 34 (because Saban has mercy on us)
UT 9

underthehill writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

SNAP OUT OF IT!

"Fire in Simm's eyes"?
"Never count the Vols out"?
"LSU will be overconfident"?

Now...let the rabid optimist's insults commence!

You will get no insults from me..I was a rabid optimist against Georgia..had UT winning by 3..I see bama and lsu naming their own score..with bama taking over our AD dept they may take it easy on us..but I don't see that from LSU..I think last year's close game may cause them to turn it on...I remember what it's like to buy tickets for $1 or less just before gametime..Seems UT is heading there again...couldn't happen to a more deserving administration..shouldn't happen to the best college football fans anywhere...

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

IF LSU would be so kind as to have two fumbles and two interceptions...then maybe, just maybe we have a slim chance.

Otherwise...we are in for a beat down in my opinion. We just don't have the talent to compete right now. Let's hope in the next one or two years, that will change!!

One way or the other, I will still bleed orange and white! Go VOLS!!!!

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to AtLannaVol:

This is a winnable game:
2. Draws and screens. Let em rush past you if you can't block em.
3. Simms gets a couple over the top. (it could happen)
4. The Hat does something stupid. (even money)

There you have it. recipe for the upset of the year in college football.

Man I hope you are right! But I'm not going to hold my breath! I know that sometimes crazy things can happend in college football. However we will need one of those crazy and weird games, in order to have a chance. We will see...

Ibleedorangeforlife writes:

I'm amazed by the amount so called Vol fans who come on this site and bash Dooley, Wilcox and Chaney among others just to name a few. They do with lame excuses such as " we refuse to accept mediocrity " . Truth be told not a one of you could do any better than what is being done it's easy to sit back and play arm chair coach .

Ibleedorangeforlife writes:

in response to RetainDerekDooleyPlease:

Derek Dooley is the Man!

TROLL ! your sarcasm comes through .

cooper65#432178 writes:

This is a huge game which will impact Vol FB for years to come. A victory on national TV against the #1 ranked team will open the eyes of the big, athletic recruits we have been missing out on for the last 5 years or so. A big loss and those recruits will continue to go somewhere they think they can compete for championships.