Defense doesn't pass test of toughness

Tennessee defensive back Brent Brewer (17) misses a tackle on LSU wide receiver Russell Shepard (10) at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011.  LSU won the game 38-7 over Tennessee.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Tennessee defensive back Brent Brewer (17) misses a tackle on LSU wide receiver Russell Shepard (10) at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011. LSU won the game 38-7 over Tennessee. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Game recap: LSU 38, Tennessee 7

Tennessee expected a test of its manhood.

The Vols appeared to need more men taking it.

There were some passing grades for UT defensively as it dealt with a physically imposing, hard-running offense against No. 1 LSU. But ultimately there weren't enough Vols in the classroom as they were beaten down by superior depth, more talent and an inability to match the toughness of the Tigers for four quarters on Saturday in a 38-7 loss to the top-ranked team in the nation.

"Not a real complex game there," UT coach Derek Dooley said. "We fought, but you've got to get some of those third-down stops. Eventually they just wear you down and if you can't get off on third down against them, they wear you down.

"I knew it, and you saw it out there. It's a grown-man's game."

The Vols didn't shrink from it, but the majority of their defenders are young, not-quite-fully-grown and unable to sustain what was a relatively even matchup for about a half at Neyland Stadium.

UT (3-3, 0-3 SEC) was able to keep the Tigers (7-0, 4-0) largely in check before intermission, refusing to give much ground in the trenches and responding with some stops despite again facing difficult situations. But with three of their top four tacklers coming from the freshman class, the Vols were eventually overpowered by an LSU offense that started six seniors and three juniors and had no issues moving the ball throughout a second half that featured one productive run after another.

"No excuses," defensive lineman Marlon Walls said. "We didn't have (depth) in the spring, we don't have it now and I'm never going to sit back and say, 'We need more guys.' Or, 'We're young, we need more help.' No, we've been playing this way.

"We know how many guys we've got, we know who is getting reps, and it's on us. There's no, 'Hey, they've got a better rotation.' No, it's up to us and we've got to do a better job playing as a unit."

The Vols showed an ability to do that at times, rallying to the football in the early going, making a handful of plays in the backfield and coming up with what could have been a momentum-shifting stop on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line just before halftime.

But they also showed some of the same issues that have plagued them throughout the season. There were lapses when LSU used its quarterback as another option on the ground. The coverage in the secondary allowed ample room for easy completions in the passing game, the defensive backs missed at least one crucial tackle and the Vols were never really close to forcing a turnover.

And with another manly, highly-ranked opponent waiting on the Vols next week at Alabama, the tests aren't going to get any easier.

"I don't think it was us wearing down," Walls said. "I just think it was want-to. We knew they were going to come out in the second half and try us again. It was a test of our manhood, and in the first half we did an OK job. We got relaxed. We knew what was coming, we knew they were going to run that power right at us, run (all the time) on us.

"One bad play happens and our back gets against the wall, and we've got to come out fighting. Learn how to get out of a corner. I think we sit back. We play an OK first half because our hair is on fire and it's the No. 1 team coming in here, and I think we get kind of complacent and relax. I don't know why at all, but we do it and we have to figure out how to change it. We've got to change it now."

The Vols have no choice but to do it with the guys they already have on the roster. And the young ones found out exactly how they measure up against the best in the nation at the moment.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

You have that correct. I thought they did a great job for almost 3 Qtr's. I hear look at Au. and their young def.. Yea Yea. They have a NC last year so kids flocked to them and they already had a great group of Alt's. Dooley has a great crew and Wilcox knows what he is doing. They will get the players to fit their system and then watch out.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Oh Poo Poo I don't think that close counts except in Horse shoes

Caspian writes:

I was looking for improvement, and I saw it. Dooley needs two more years of recruiting. I'm all in for the duration.

dvols writes:

say it to his face ward....

you did not play today...

you trying to be a john adams..

where is Spurrier when you need him....

WOW

unbelievable headline.

MIKE SLIVE killed TN basketball program/ Mike Slive lives in Birmingham...

Mike Slive has made the SEC the weakest conference!!!!! Sorry for the top two, the bottom 11.5 are not good..

I miss Roy Kramer!

AD's raise funds..

Dooley is will be fine...

Cam was guilty but NCAA can't endure no more...

bad timeing thats all...

cold beer is good!

alfrizzle097 writes:

They were listing the starting defense today, and when they listed the secondary Teague was the only one that I thought 'yeah, he's athletic enough to do well in the sec.'

Not saying Teague is a good DB or even our best DB. His technique is still lacking and his reactions are too late too often. Given that he just moved to the position a year ago that isn't too surprising.

Rambling a little now... but I suppose I'm just trying to get across that between the starting freshmen and sophomores, the lack of depth on the line, and lack of athleticism (to my unqualified eye) in the secondary it is to be expected that high quality offenses will be able to exploit them.

All praise to the guys for effort and the coaches for putting them in the right positions.

orangiac writes:

When is the defensive secondary coach going to teach these guys how to use their arms when they try to make a tackle? I'm soooo tired of watching the Dbacks blocking a ball carrier instead of tackling him. It's pathetic.

LibertyVolance writes:

Future DB recruits need to be tougher, faster, and much more physical.

mdboar#214875 writes:

I felt the defense played hard; was physical; might have worn down. Saying all that, to me what stood out was we don't have the speed that LSU or other top caliber SEC teams have.

tenndave writes:

It seems to me that our defensive secondary is either bad or are taught that you have good coverage if you are within 10 yds when the reciever catches the ball. For weeks I watch as other guys are all over our recievers then when they have the ball our guys are 5 to 10 yds back waiting on them to catch it so they can try and hold them to only 5-10 yds. Am I imagining this or is it true. Can't decide.

retiredgrocer#1397986 writes:

in response to TheBlue:

I agree with you 100%. I can't believe the Vol Nation will put up with ordinary.
Bill Battle was 11-1, 10-2, 12-2, 8-4, 7-3, 7-5, & 6-5. 61-22 overall. Never won at National title or SEC championship. Fired because in his last 4 years, he couldn't beat Bama. And the want to give Doo-leave 2 more years to develop a program. We will be so far in the crapper in 2 years that it will not matter.

in response to retiredgrocer#1397986:

OK, I'll bite. Suppose we just fire Dooley tomorrow. Just tell him to pack his stuff, gather up all his coaches, and don't let the sun set on him in the state of Tennessee. Now what.

It is at this point that all this ridiculous "fire Dooley now" talk is revealed for the empty posturing it is. How in the world do you think we could ever come up with a whole new staff at this time of the year, and how stupid would we look even trying it?

OK, I get the fact that not even you would say that is how we should do it, or at least I would certainly hope so. So we wait until after the season. Then we would have given Dooley TWO WHOLE YEARS to turn around one of the most dysfunctional football programs in the country, which NO ONE thought there was a chance in heck of doing, otherwise we might not have had to hire our fifth choice as a coach in the first place. So you want to [try to] hire our FOURTH COACH in FIVE YEARS.

And just who would THAT be? What are the odds that such a person would have any better credentials coming in? Who in their right mind would want to work for a school and a fan base with that little patience, not to mention good common sense? And NO, it is NOT answering the question to say, "Oh, ANYBODY could do better than this bunch." No, they couldn't; not right now; not with this young, shorthanded squad. It would take ANYBODY at LEAST two MORE years from now to get it done. But by then, you would probably be pulling for HIM to be fired. I swear, people like you give the term "football fan" a bad name. Maybe we really ARE as dumb as the trolls say we are. SHEESH!

richvol writes:

The secondary is bad beyond belief. The D-line showed some fight but the secondary has not shown any ability to cover anyone.

The secondary was supposed to be a strength this year yet I can't recall one time during the game that any defender was even close to a LSU receiver when the ball arrived. We are so bad that it's inconceivable. The corners are slow and show no skill whatsoever.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to TheBlue:

So what does that make the Blue since they haven't beat the Vols in how long?

HadMyPhil writes:

As long as we are recruiting the 6th or 7th best class in the SEC...we will continue to be the 6th or 7th best team. I don't see that changing any time soon.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Barring key injuries next season if this team can't win a SEC game until November what will be the excuses?

DooleysOrangePants writes:

dayum, i wish we could get some of these posters to be our coach. everyone on here is SOOOOOOOOOOO smart its unbelievable

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

UT's corner backs need to be either coached better or replaced...several times they took the wrong angle to the ball, or just cowered away from contact, like they expected somebody else to come make the tackle. In general, Wilcox hasn't shown me anything, and don't use our depth as an excuse. There's 75-80 players suited up on that sideline, put in somebody that wants to hit and tackle somebody. And not AFTER the play is over, either.

volfanz writes:

in response to tenndave:

You are correct and I can not wrap my head around why we consistently play so far off the receivers. I understand that playing back provides some cushion against mistakes during deep plays, but we are getting nickel and dimed to death! Add that to the lack of help against the run and it spells what happened to us Yesterday.

govols1981 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Oh Poo Poo I don't think that close counts except in Horse shoes

dont forget hand grenades

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to TheBlue:

And you are a clueless Son Often Burns, who proves abortion should be retroactive. Why are you on our site anyways????????????????

gillblog writes:

Have to point out Marlon Walls is saying the right things. Hopefully, this is a reflection of CDD's motivation and the entire team is on the same page in attitude and focus. This team is absolutely capable of beating an Alabama or an LSU but it takes more than words and emotion to do it. At least for now, Walls appears to understand that. I sure hope the coaches do too.

DavidB writes:

First thing to remember is that we are still very young as a team. I know that is not the excuse people want to hear all the time but it is a fact.

Also if you listened to the post game call in shows after the game last night I heard a great statement. One issue with our secondary that is really hurting them is that when hunter got hurt it hurt our secondary. How you ask? because at practice who is our secondary facing right now? Da'Rick Rogers is the best our secondary is facing in practice. They need to be facing someone like Hunter to get better.

There were some huge strides in this game that even to fans that want dooley gone have to see. In the first half we were still in the game. The defense only gave up a field goal in the entire first half. The other 14 was given up by our offense. For our defense to only give up 3 in a half to the number one team in the country is a huge improvement.

Young brings in a dynamic we have not seen at Tennessee for a very long time. Darr put a punt on the 1 foot line. Palardy did not kick one out of bounds. The O line opened up so huge holes on the number 1 team in the country. We actually ended up with positive rushing yards.

Sounds like Walls is stepping up to be a leader and not accepting the we are young speech so hopefully he can rub off on a few more players.

If you are not willing to give Dooley another 2 years to continue improving then give up now and switch teams. It is going to take another 2 years to right the ship. Yes next year we should be able to compete with Georgia, Florida and South Carolina but I think 2 years before we compete with LSU and Bama.

Now the Bama game has yet to be played and I refuse to sit back and say we will be blown out of the water in the Bama game. It comes down to how hungry our players are for 4 quarters of football.

Sure there are negatives this year, Bray is hurt, hunter is out for the season, teague gets burnt multiple times per game, our kicking game is not the best. Simms made some mistakes and he knew what mistakes he made. He did not push the blame on anyone else, he put it all on his shoulder and to me that proves he is a man and he will work twice as hard to be ready for Bama.

We need the players that take a loss personally, the ones that will come back after a loss with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. I think the coaching staff we have in place can do it.

As a fan in the stadium there are play calls that I have to question as I am sure many of you do as well. The one thing we dont have as fans is the knowledge of each player on the field (on both sides of the ball). So maybe the coaches saw something on tape that make them believe they can pull this play off, maybe they know our players can only handle this play call and the entire play book still isnt open yet.

As a VOL fan I just ask that all the VOL fans stay loyal to the VOLS and have patience.

Fossilfiction writes:

in response to HadMyPhil:

Well good to know that you think so highly of the #13 2012 class that is 5th in the entire SEC behind Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. The best news and that Tennessee can sign more players to go with the 9 four star, 7 three star, and 2 two star.
Four teams rank above us based of number of verbals of three stars. 6-8 four and 16-18 three star. So if we simply sign 3 stars from here on out we will finish easily in the top ten. Did you know that? Of course this only good for star gazers like yourself.

retiredgrocer#1397986 writes:

in response to Pipe_Down_Otis:

This is my whole argument. Who's going to coach them. Our coaches don't have a clue and orange pants does not make anyone a Tennessseean

OrangePride writes:

Uh....just one comment. The defense was the only unit keeping us in the game at all for most of the day. But when an offense gets two possessions in the second half and makes one first down, uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh, I think we know where the problem really lies.....and it sure as heck wasn't the defense! You leave ANY defense on the field for an entire half against the #1 team in the country and they aren't likely to hold up. DUH! I'm just glad we didn't come out with any big injuries. GO VOLS!

VOLliven2it writes:

I find it hard to say our defense is not tough when they went pretty well for a half against the no. 1 team in the nation. Oh yeah they have a lot to work on in the technique department and in a number of other ways. But when the other team is bigger, faster, and mostly more experienced, you can only expect so much. Upsets do not come every day. All of us wanted one yesterday. We missed it badly. In all likelihood we will miss it again next week. But let's try to remember who we are playing and what they bring against us. GO BIG ORANGE!

Theo writes:

in response to DavidB:

Classy, great post. My thoughts exactly. This season is developing the character of these young men. I feel my own character developing too as I continue to support them through the losses even though sometimes in games I think I'm having a stroke.
A comment and a question -
One thing I noticed LSU doing really well in the spread was the blocking of their receivers. Our dbs could not get off the blocks at all.
Question - why didn't we throw over the middle to Rivera (sp)? Was in the LSU defense taking it away or were our coachs worried about a rusty QB - Sims throwing in trafic?

gobigorange5001 writes:

in response to retiredgrocer#1397986:

We gave Majors 8 years so stop whining. A program doesnt rebuild overnight!

volsindallas writes:

in response to Caspian:

I couldn't agree with you more. I was proud of our defense, in a couple of years or even next year you will see a different team, but with the same players. You will see the type of defense we are used to seeing at Tennessee.

RichmondKyVol writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

So what does that make the Blue since they haven't beat the Vols in how long?

We can always look on the bright side. Even if the Vols beat no one else this season, they'll still beat Kentucky.

orangecountyvols writes:

JohnLG, DavidG, and Theo, plus a 'host' of real Vol fans,

Great comments friends. Wow. Sorting through the trolls, it certainly is nice to see some people with their heads on straight, not perpetual whiners, and I for one was very glad to see such
posts from all you guys.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I saw a lot of improvement in the LSU game. Our kicking game is a lot better - punting, kickoffs, returns. It's a relief to see that. Our offensive line showed improvement, opening holes for the backs. Backs ran it better. Definitely worse at the passing game without Bray and Hunter. Defensive line looked good to me every time I focused on them. Secondary's problems are well documented here. I expect a shake-up there this week. The defense is improving. The score made us look bad, but I think I see more improvement. I have confidence in Dooley and am optimistic about the future.

DavidB writes:

in response to Theo:

A comment and a question -

Theo, I had the same question during the game. Rivera is the man. I think simms is good throwing over the middle but he is not as big as Bray so maybe just didnt see him or the D kept rivera out of the game.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Remember, youth is wasted on all the wrong people. I wish I was 20 yrs. old again. I'm so sick of that excuse.

salocke#209467 writes:

in response to retiredgrocer#1397986:

Bill Battle drove us into the crapper. Dooley inherited a team already in the crapper. Big difference. Dooley may not be the guy, but that question can't be answered for another year or two. Give the man a chance.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to RichmondKyVol:

It's looking like this may be Kentucky's year.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Majors was weird. I remember watching them lose to a Rutgers team that looked like a HS team the week before we beat ND and the week after the ND game we lost 44-11 to a 3-8 Ole Piss team. That team had drug problems for sure.

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

It's looking like this may be Kentucky's year.

If it looks that way to you, then maybe you should get a new pair of glasses.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

"Dooley has a great crew and Wilcox knows what he is doing."

I couldn't agree more with that statement.

Smokey says the future is bright...

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Good Post,john!!

Smokey says that some of our so-called fans are pathetic..

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to DavidB:

Count me in,David!!

TommyJack writes:

Pathetic fanbase

snakeplissken writes:

A very telling statement about our coaching to allow this....

UT starting defensive end Marlon Walls said the Vols relaxed when they trailed 17-7 at halftime.

“I don’t know why,” said Walls, who finished with one tackle. “We do that for some reason. We come out and play a good half and we get relaxed. We knew what was coming. We knew they were going to run that power right at us.”

kantanuuv writes:

Ok I'll get it started.

FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY!

acworthdave writes:

in response to richvol:

I hate to pick on a particular player but LSU constantly picked on Teague. I don't think I saw a DB have a worse first half in my life. I assume this is why we went back to a base defense in the second half, instead of 8 in the box. That was a mistake. I prefer the first half scheme. We need to put 9 in the box this weekend. The only thing going for us is Saban will not run it up if they get a comfortable lead. Keep it respectable by focusing on the run. If they kill us throwing the ball, so be it.

HadMyPhil writes:

in response to Fossilfiction:

Ok...5th, 6th or 7th...What am I missing here? first of all..this class is signed...its planned...when its signed..we can talk...meanwhile, we finish top ten in nation..if we are still 5th in SEC...we will probably perform like we are 5th in SEC....no? Sorry, but I thought the goal was to be 1st in the SEC...maybe my sights are set too high.

stroker writes:

in response to Caspian:

How about four or more years as long as he shows improvement, he started so far behind.