Report card

Game recap: LSU 38, Tennessee 7

Quarterbacks D

Matt Simms admitted as much after the game. His 6-for-20 effort with two interceptions wasn't good. A lot of that had to do with LSU's vaunted defensive backfield, but the two picks were costly and demoralizing to a UT offense that had little room for error. Simms will simply have to be better in upcoming games because he's really the Vols' only option at quarterback now.

Running backs B+

Though he was barely able to practice all week because of a pulled hamstring, Tauren Poole showed burst and power that hasn't been on display much this season. It wasn't his best effort from a yardage standpoint (70), but he's done worse against worse defenses. In the few carries he received, freshman Marlin Lane looked more comfortable and willing to fall forward rather than juke backward.

Wide receivers/tight ends C

Da'Rick Rogers had the Vols' biggest play when he caught a pass across the middle and dragged LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu more than 20 yards down the field, but that was one of just a handful of highlights. Both Rogers and Zach Rogers dropped passes that could have gone for long gains, and tight end Mychal Rivera wasn't able to get involved in the passing game.

Offensive line B

After yet another week's worth of negative scrutiny, the Vols stepped up and actually had some push against one of the nation's toughest defensive lines. The Vols gained 111 yards on the ground, a modest total compared to most teams but a tremendous achievement for UT considering what it did against Florida and Georgia. Simms hit the deck a few times, but the pass protection was largely sufficient, too.

Special teams B+

This unit was in dire need of a no-news kind of game. Matt Darr's punts weren't spectacular, but Mathieu never had a chance to break off any big gains. Anthony Anderson downed one of them at the 1-yard line, and Devrin Young notched a career-high 60 yard kickoff return. Michael Palardy's extra point survived an unusual replay review.

Defensive line B-

The Vols handled themselves well in the trenches, mostly in the first half, contributing three tackles for a loss and getting a sack from defensive tackle Daniel Hood. Malik Jackson made his presence known with eight takedowns.

Linebackers C+

The smashmouth style LSU brought to Neyland Stadium suited A.J. Johnson perfectly, and the freshman responded with a game-high 11 tackles. Classmate Curt Maggitt wasn't far behind with seven, and Austin Johnson was again productive in the middle.

Secondary C-

The Vols again appeared to be content to give up space for short throws in exchange for not getting beat deep, but that doesn't work if the defensive backs can't make the tackle. Brent Brewer did show up with an athletic play behind the line of scrimmage.

Coaching C

Derek Dooley didn't face a lot of tough decisions as LSU pounded away in the second half and dominated the clock. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney was finally able to dial up some rushing plays that went the right way.

Overall C

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GloryDays writes:

38-7 and the Vols get a "C". I wish you'll were my teachers when I was in school.

brauhuff#295403 (Inactive) writes:

My God we have fallen so far in the last 4 years. 5-7, 7-6, 6-7 and hopefully 6-6 this year but who knows and at 2-6 in the SEC would you even want to go bowling. We should see about a BIG East invite where we could be respectable again. If this thing does not turn around in a 1-2 years I would leave the conference and go to a conference we could actually compete in. I am tired of being the 8th or 9th best team in the SEC

zigvol writes:

Damn just watched Vandy, looks like there alright this year. I sure hope we can beat them and go bowling. WOW! Never thought i would say that...

snakeplissken writes:

Mighty generous on that report card from what I saw today.

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

Fire Fulmer!

Vols3505 writes:

DennisVols writes:

The lack of depth on defense and the reason why Bray was promoted to starter last year was loud and clear today.
When you play as many sophomores and freshmen as UT has to who do you have to send in to spell them?
It was good to see the running game gaining ground. Maybe if there was any kind of a passing game this one might have been closer.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

mbain13 writes:

My goodness. The defense was on the field 75% of the game, I was impressed with the D-line, definitely deserve a better grade. And linebackers were not bad, secondary wasn't good. And I wish everyone would chill out, its gonna be a bad season yes, but don't down your players, they wanted to come play for Tennessee. When they put that Orange and White on and slap the sign that says "I will give my all for Tennessee.." before the game, thats what matters. Simms hasn't played in a year, obviously he's going to play rough. He's also not an elite quarterback in the SEC, he wasn't even an elite QB in the Big East, so give him a break, he plays hard, and has a good attitude and gives his all. Dang people are stupid. Did anyone really think that we'd come out and really just lay it down to LSU after the way we've played??? Come on, just be proud of what you have because they came here to play for the fans and the school. Show some support.

FWBVol writes:

in response to brauhuff#295403:

If that's your attitude that you would turn tail and run, then I'm glad you are not in charge. The mess the program is in didn't happen overnight and any quick fixes would be temporary.

Yes we got beat soundly again today, but we battled the No. 1 team in the country pretty while for a half. Considering what this team has been through the last few years we are doing about as well as can be expected.

With the exception of Dallas Thomas and Darren Gooche, both juniors, the rest of the offenslive linemen on the two deep chart are either freshmen or sophomores.

We have been through dry spells before and always bounced back. Some rebuilding projects take longer than others, and Dooley accepeted a near-impossible job given the expecations of some fans.

Janzen Jackson, who was the best defensive player on the team, was dismissed before the season. Herman Lathers, who is probably our best linebacker has been out all year with an injury. We lost Justin Hunter, our best receiver, who might be the best receiver in the SEC on the third offensive play of the game against Florida and Bray last week. More than 70 percent of our team is made up of freshmen and sophomores.

We will be back. Patience is what is needed at this time.

rsummie#211799 writes:

Secondary was bad but Simms was flat out AWFUL! Not going to win much (if any) w/ Simms in so I'm ready to put him on the bench and start getting a backup for Bray ready for next year. If Bray isn't back still should be able to beat MTSU and KY w/ a backup but Vandy game is looking tougher every week! Hurry back Tyler!

xvolx writes:

Teague and Simms definately a F.

MidTennVol writes:

"The talent disparity couldn't have been more clear as the seconds ticked away in the second half. The rebuilding job is ongoing, and UT did all it could to compete as it tries to bring in personnel that can stand toe-to-toe with the best in the country."

That is EXACTLY the state of this program, in my view. We just don't have the horses yet. Gotta go get 'em and get a lot of 'em.

BustaRhymes writes:

woodcutter writes:

Center is "F" again. Bad snaps ruin everything else. Why is Stone not on the bench?

HOSSFLY writes:

in response to FWBVol:

We will be back. Patience is what is needed at this time.

good post, but i don't beleive dooley is the answer. even with overmatched players, a good coaching staff will pull off a couple of wins that should've been loses thru two years (esp at home...see uga last weekend).
dooley will be here a couple more years and be gone, and we will go through this again. i love my school, but i'm losing hope in turning this around under dooley. heck, the bad snaps, the penalties on 3rd-4th and short, the lack of leadership on offence from the sidelines (play clling is way too highschool-ish with no flow)......that's on the staff.
i am not a coach, but i firmly beleive dooley is not our man. like i said, and what is so disheartening, is that we are wasting time while everyone else keeps getting better.

GBO

utnsee#209595 writes:

two bad coaching calls by both cooridinators, Chaney going by deep after Neals catch, just impatient and stupid, then Wilcox blitzes on third & 11 could have held them to field goal. Should have been 7-3 at half Vols!

volbob writes:

Don't find much to fault with the scorecard. Might be a little generous with the QB grade, but overall you hit the nail on the head. The CBS announcers, along with a little Manning for much of a quarter, also did a good job of pointing out the obvious - just about any SEC team's 1 can dominate what is essentially UT's second team. I feel for Simms, but only because he actually showed up at UT when many others were bolting for other schools. A good record this year would be 6-6, but that may not be attainable. UT's talent level just isn't high enough to compete all game with the upper tier SEC teams...yet.

volinlm writes:

in response to utnsee#209595:

Nothing wrong with either call. Simms throw was short. If we catch it, it's great. As to the blitz, LSU called the perfect play against the blitz. That happens. Overall, Simms looked like a guy who hadn't been at "game speed" in awhile. He'll do better. The results against Bama will probably be the same, but Simms should look better and hopefully the game will be closer.

oldster writes:

The UT player most responsible for our loss was Matt Simms. It was his worst game at UT. I would bet that he is aware of it. However, even had he been the best he could be, UT would not have won. Our coaches have to be more than brilliant to make up for the deficiences we still have. They are not sufficiently and consistently brilliant. They only rise to this level occassionaly. In this game, as in most, they begin with a good game plan. However, they do not seem to be able to anticipate the changes that the other team will make to counter what we have done to be as successful as we are in the first halves (e.g. evidently, they did not anticipate and prepare for Jordon Jefferson and option for 2nd half). They also seem to be able to teach the players they have how to tackle when they are tired or to defeat people who are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and more numerous. Until they become able to do this, or until we have players who are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and - most importantly - more numerous, UT will continue to be what we are - mediocre.

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to woodcutter:

cuz he's the best we got, we are still to thin, deal with it.
-T-

oldster writes:

in response to GloryDays:

I guess you thought everyone deserved an F. I hate to remind you that it is possible, and I have seen it, for both teams to play up to the level of an A, but one of them still MUST lose under the rules of the game. Did you ever see the movie, "Inherit the Wind?" In it, Spencer Tracy, playing Clarence Darrow was brilliant (as Darrow was in real life). However, Darrow lost the real trial (as, of course, Tracy did in the movie). The point is, that one can do the best one can do, but sometimes there are too many things lined up against you for you to prevail (e.g. the law in Darrow's case, and the superior number of superior athletes in the case of UT v. LSU).

oldster writes:

in response to mbain13:

I agree with you. However, one of the big reasons the D was on the field so long yesterday is a recurring theme at UT. It has been the same song, in fact, for at least 20 years. The D stays on the field so long because they cannot make stops on 3rd down or get turnovers. This, in turn, causes problems for the offense in that it prevents them from having good field position and requires longer drives to score. They have no one to blame for getting tired but themselves.

oldster writes:

in response to BustaRhymes:

Either you are letting your frustration get the better of you or you know nothing about the game. There were no F performances on the field yesterday. There should be some F's given out to some of the fans. Are you one?

oldster writes:

in response to woodcutter:

Gee, did I miss something? I only remember one bad snap and Simms was able to handle it. Granted, there should be no bad snaps at all, but given the fact that Stone made over 50, one bad one out of 50 would give him a grade of 98%. That is not an F at any school I ever attended (I have three degrees from UT by the way).

oldster writes:

Matt Simms is not a great quarterback. He simply lacks the skill to win on anything less than a team like Alabama or LSU in the SEC (he could win with those teams, though). All that being said, he is a man who most anyone would be proud to call "son." He has persevered through hard times and been there for his team, coaches, school, fans and his family when called upon. Way to go, Phil. You may not have raised an NFL QB, but you raised something much more important, a good man.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

I agree. You do not get pounded 38-7 in your own back yard and get an "average" grade of a C. I would give more fault to the WR. I'd give them a D because there were some drops that killed momentum or continuity. With a team like LSU, continuing drives is critical not only for building up momentum but also allowing the DEF to regroup, if necessary.

I would give a D to the coaching staff. I did not see enough play calling on the offense to keep the defense off balance. Throw in some formations that LSU has not seen. Throw in a play or two you may only use once. I'm not saying use a trick play but at least dig deep into the bag of plays to pull out something to keep Chavis and his defense guessing what is coming next. On the defensive end, I'm still waiting on a Wilcox play call that astounds me. For the most part his defenses are pretty much what any opposing team has seen on film so they are not overly shocked going into a game and not having to guess as to what is coming next from this defense. D for the coaching.

I would even go so far as giving a D for the Secondary. I do not see any playmakers here and I do not see any with the stones to play tough in your face, on your hip defense. So thus they get beat. Perhaps that goes back to defensive play calling which reminds me of the days of Chavis vs Flordia or perhaps the DBs are being too conservative. At any rate, we're losing battles in the secondary so I cannot give them an average "C"

With those Ds, that represents a more applicable score card for a 38-7 pounding. I give no Fs as those Vols are trying and trying hard, but coming up short...yes...even you Matt Simms. I was not expecting a QB that has not started for almost a full football slate of games to be ready to take down a juggernaut. What Rick Clausen did to LSU after Hurricane Katrina was a happy aberration.

kjvols writes:

I thought they competed with a great team,it takes time people.it took 10 years to tear it down,will take more than 2 to rebuild

DocJas writes:

QB F 6 for 20 with 2 picks.

RB D Just barely over 100 yds total.

WR/TE D Did they ever think to go fight for a ball and not have it picked??

OL C Just because they didnt get another QB hurt.

ST B Looking decent.

DL F GAve up how many yards??

LB D GAve up how many yards??

Secondary D- Lee was 10 for 17

Coaching D- No adjustments at halftime and none the whole second half.

Overall D- We got beat by 31 points and the whole world say boys playing against men. Couldnt stop the pass and couldnt stop the run. 99 yard driver and every single play was a run??? We fired a coach that was better than this and now we are passing out good grades on a game that we got blown out and embarrassed on national TV. We are pleased with a 100 yards rushing total? We almost beat this team last year. I thought we were supposed to get better each year not worse.

DocJas writes:

I know you all are going to say the talent level is down and we need another 12 to 15 years to get caught up but my ticket prices went up and we ran for NC. Well they can have my tickets next year based on this, we will no win a game next year unless Buffalo is willing to play us more than once. If we are going to see one good half of football then my ticket price should drop by half. And I hope the players read this board. Someone should challenge their manhood. They were punked out. Why dont we recruit someone with some balls or at least let someone else give it a shot. What is the worse that can happen,, they score in 10 plays instead of 15??

bobmcreynolds#663132 writes:

This is embarrassing to true Tennessee fans. The team plays with no emotion, has no fight, and continues to get "blown out." I don't care how good the opposing team is, Tennessee is not even close to competitive. Even Bill Battle's teams were competitive. These teams the last 4 years aren't anywhere near his worst teams. It will be a long, long time before Tennessee fans can see the possibility of winning an Eastern Division championship, much less an SEC championship. I say "clean house" in the athletic department and spend the money to get the best coaches. 38-7? Are you kidding me? UT is the laughing stock of the SEC and the NCAA right now. We are now officially on the level of Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Vandy.

man_and_dog writes:

Are there not a couple of other QB's out there that might benefit with some playing time?

arkyvol writes:

'rebuilding is ongoing'?

as of late, the vols seem to end up in the mid-teens in recruiting classes. bama, LSU, georgia, and florida more often than not finish in the top ten, frequently in the top five. considering that, how long is this 'rebuilding' supposed to take? true, stars aren't everything, but it takes a real coach to make something out of star challenged teams like arkansas, boise state, or oregon. it looks like the vols have neither.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to GloryDays:

I think they might have been.

DenverVol writes:

in response to volinlm:

Totally disagree with the play calling comment. Both those deep picks were bad play calls. Chaney didn't set Simms up for success with either one. Would have rather see him make a bunch more dink and dump passes to get in a flow. Chaney wanted to spark something and it backfired bad. My biggest disappointment is that I didn't stop watching after their first score in the 3rd quarter. The rest of my day would have been a lot better had I not seen the rest of the game. Gonna a be a long season especially the rest of this month.

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to oldster:

Good post.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to utnsee#209595:

Add to that; 2nd down play inside the 15;running game is working;LSU looking for the run;perfect time for play action with a pass to TE in the endzone ..Chaney runs Poole over center for a loss; drive ends!!!Cutcliffe would have play auctioned and passed to the FB or TE for an easy score..Chaney totally blew the call

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Considering Simms is a senior and has been in this system a long time;he should have done much better..4 or 5 times he could have checked down to the rb or an open TE but instead threw into double and triple coverage..Accuracy was awful considering the time he's spent with this group of wideouts..Bray spent months finally learning to use his check down and hot reads..We don't have months for Simms to learn the same

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to DocJas:

QB F 6 for 20 with 2 picks.

RB D Just barely over 100 yds total.

WR/TE D Did they ever think to go fight for a ball and not have it picked??

OL C Just because they didnt get another QB hurt.

ST B Looking decent.

DL F GAve up how many yards??

LB D GAve up how many yards??

Secondary D- Lee was 10 for 17

Coaching D- No adjustments at halftime and none the whole second half.

Ditto! How can you hand ouy ANY passing grades when you get beat down like that in your own house? The coaches are NOT (C) average. They are way below sub par. I think we need to bring Trooper and Kippy and Cutcliff back. Pay them real money to stay! Go Vols! Take to the elephants.

pammyvol1000 writes:

We'll be stonger next year Vol fans. We have some good kids coming in and Bray,Hunter,will be back. DaRick will only improve as well. It will take 2 more years to get back to 8-9 wins so hang in there. SC is a good possiblity since Lattimore is out now with bad leg. Arkansas has SPEED so we need our secondary to speed up!! Go Vols!!!! Our day will come!!

arkyvol writes:

whenever i read how wrong it is to criticize dooley for what's happening because he didn't have anything to work with, i think a good comeback is bill snyder. possibly, you remember. his ksu team waxed a loaded vol team in 2000. snyder built that program from absolutely nothing. he retired a few years ago (he's well past social security eligibility), but his successors returned the program to pre-snyder levels. after the last one was canned, they called snyder back into service. i thought it was a pure desperation move (somewhat similar to hammy hiring dooley). the cupboard was beyond bare, but guess what? they're 6-0 and stomped mizzou. being a great coach is like having blue eyes. you either have it or you don't.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to reg_mza#219136:

I agree;The secondary especially the CB's were awful..Wilcox is kind of playing to his strenghths and breaking in some green LB's..A change at OC should be in the cards.The timing is right..Their are too many better OC's to settle for middle of the road..Dooley is probably happy with Chaney but after watching Weis and Bobo take Chaney to school a change is obvious.#1 on my list is the OSU or Texas AM OC to start..It's hard to watch a team like Wake Forest or KSU having success with no better talent than us..

SummerfieldVol writes:

When are the coaches especially the Quarterback and O.C. going to admit Matt Simms is not and never will be a big time SEC quarterback. He might make it as a High School Quarterback, but never a major University quarterback. He might be a great person, but look at his record at UT since he came. I would play the red shirt as bad as I don't want to (Worley). The interceptions were a back breaker, especially since the ball should have never been thrown, if you look at the replay we had receivers wide open down the middle. He has the same problem now as he had last year a one receiver quarterback. If he keeps on playing I will lay all bad play from him on the coaching staff. I thought the main point of the line up was to play the best players not the ones that have been there the longest.

traderjoe writes:

Boy, have standards declined. Talk about grading on a curve...sheesh.

jmanvolfan writes:

No. 1 team in the nation and they looked like it.
We are not that good especially with Sims. But they played hard and never quit. Better than last years of Fulmer. I stayed for the whole game and will be at the next one.

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

Watched Vandy-Ga last night after the UT game...the center for Ga snaps left handed. They had no problems. So how come Dooley insist we make our center switch hands?

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

38 to 7. At home. What constitutes an "F"?

mtthw741 writes:

LSU's center snaps left handed pretty well. Why is it so important for stone to snap right handed? Seems like a lot of wasted practice time. Really not fair to the kid . He's catching a lot of unfair criticism over this in my opinion.

DallasVOL writes:

Geez! How bad must Nance be? Simms is downright awful! (please don't kick my arse Phil)

lenoaz writes:

Wow - I cannot believe how embarassed I am these days to be a VOLS fan. Not because of the team, but because of the ridiculous, childish, insincere comments from so called "loyal fans." Let me tell you, I grew up in Knoxville but moved out west due to work. I always speak proudly about being a VOLS fan in a part of the country where being passionate about college football, for the most part, doesn't exist. But to be fair, there is NOTHING like SEC football and the emotions that it invokes on fall Saturdays. But to hear this stupid commentary from so many perfect people (I realize I am sounding a bit like one myself right now) is just sickening. It's okay to be critical. It's fine to question coaching decisions, strategy, etc. But negativity will NOT help this program. It will help keep things the way they are. Why would any premier athelete want to come to UT and be subject to this kind of phooey? You want things to turn around? Be part of the solution by being positive. Granted, these are frustrating times but all programs go through them. The BIG ORANGE will be back. Let's make this an environment where every top prospect wants to come play. Do I know whether or not Dooley is the answer? No, but I am willing to give him the chance and time to prove it. Is Simms going to win games being a standout QB? No, but I admire his loyalty to the program after all he has gone through. The team is young and needs support rather than the distraction of all the hostile comments on this board. Civil debate on game and player performance is great. Seemingly drunken vile rants - not so much.
GBO!!

brokendownoldvol writes:

TN foortball sure has fallen. They get pounded 38-7 and get Bs and Cs.Joke. I'd forgotten how limited Simms was.