Plate inserted in Tyler Bray's thumb; timetable for return doesn't change

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) leaves the field with his right hand bandaged following their 20-12 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee.  (AP Photo/AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS - KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) leaves the field with his right hand bandaged following their 20-12 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011 at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee. (AP Photo/AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS - KNOXVILLE NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray had a metal plate inserted in his hand today to help his broken thumb heal properly.

The procedure was anticipated and does not affect the six-week recovery period that was originally presented shortly after Bray suffered the injury earlier this month against Georgia, coach Derek Dooley said.

"They have to let the swelling go down and the plate is in only so the bone doesn't grow, so it doesn't heal crooked," Dooley said at his weekly press conference. "The plate's only to help the healing. The scar tissue heals but it can move. If it moves and then it heals, then you've got a crooked thumb. We certainly don't want that with our quarterback."

Former UT wide receiver Gerald Jones underwent a similar procedure last season.

With Bray out until mid-November, senior Matt Simms remains the Vols' starter and freshman Justin Worley is the No. 2 option. When asked if Worley would only enter in an emergency, injury-related situation, Dooley said it was too early to speculate.

"Matt's our quarterback," Dooley said. "He's played one game, so I just think it's a little premature right now."

Simms completed just six of his 20 attempts for 128 yards and two interceptions in his first start of the season. Afterward, he described his performance as "terrible."

Dooley didn't completely disagree with the assessment.

"I think it's fair to say that he didn't play the way he's capable of playing and made some mistakes that really hurt us in the game," Dooley said. "He knows that. We need better play out of the quarterback position for us to compete against good football teams. Really to compete against anybody.

"If you can't get good quarterback play you're not going to beat anybody."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

give_him_6 writes:

And the hits just keep on comin!!

sticknmove15 writes:

I think I speak for all of Vol Nation when I say Good! Because Matt Simms is a straight BALLER!

Volunatic writes:

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Tyler.
Matt, we're glad you're a Vol!

ColtfanJ writes:

Sorry Matt. Thanks for battling but you're not SEC caliper.

Volunatic writes:

in response to sticknmove15:

I wouldn't say "good" on the timetable not moving up, but I'm glad we have an experienced QB. If Matt limits the mistakes and makes good plays like he did in the 4th qtr against UGA, the Vols might surprise some folks and get an unexpected SEC win or two between now and the Vandy game.

Volunatic writes:

in response to ColtfanJ:

Sorry Matt. Thanks for battling but you're not SEC caliper.

Who cares about calipers? That's for braking. Full speed ahead-- GO VOLS!!!

givehim6 writes:

I Remember Jones played pretty good after the plate came out. Pray that thumb heals just fine and he will be back to slinging that ball time for UARK, or Vandy anyway, vandy's Rogers kid looked good vs UGA.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

OiC is praying for a speedy and complete recovery Tyler. Hold this offense together Matt and let's hold our own against bama. Then bring the chickens to town and pluck 'em. GO VOLS!

mdvol writes:

Just need Simms to play decent and get some rhythm with our receivers against Alabama. VOLS have a very legitimate chance of beating South Carolina in Neyland with a good outing from Simms. Especially if our running game continues to improve. The turnovers have got to start going our way and look for Devrin Young to make some big plays down the stretch.

Never count out the VOLS.

SWVA_RockyTopVol writes:

I think Nash Nance could have played better than Simms vs LSU...being sarcastic but honestly, it can't get much worse. If I'm Chaney, I'm calling bubble screens 75% of passing plays this weekend

nfdeng13 writes:

It would be nice if Kiffin had not ran Tajh Boyd off. The kid is lighting it up at Clemson. Kiffin said Boyd "was not a good fit for our system." I guess that shows what a good player evaluator he is. Al Davis said he would be a curse on UT. Seems like he was right.

RUstilltalking writes:

in response to sticknmove15:

Don't be a moron. Simms should have never even played in the SEC. The only reason he has got as far as he has is because of his last name. He couldn't play at Louisville and he definitely can't play here. The play calling can't be the same for Simms as it was for Bray. Simms' noodle for an arm shouldn't throw more then 10 yards. The play calling was horrible for Simms. Not entirely his fault.

Upgrayedd writes:

A little off-topic, but have you guys noticed a major shortage of Gator trolls the past few days? Maybe this will explain it a bit. Haha, FrontButt and MooseDump...

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to Mama_Says_I_Am_The_Best_Coach_In_The_Country:

Try and misdirect it all you want. The whole country is laughing at the Gators and that embarassment that is your head coach.

spacehistorian writes:

I'd rather see Tyler sit on the bench and heal up properly so he will be at full strength next season rather than rush him back prematurely this season. Hopefully Simms will bounce back and play fundamentally sound football against the mighty Crimson Tide. I'd hate to see Coach Dooley have to burn the redshirt year for Justin Worley just to get us to 6-6 and back to the Music City Bowl. I remain hopeful that Alabama will not take us seriously and we catch them looking ahead to LSU allowing us to at least give them a fight like we did the last time we visited Tuscaloosa. GBO!

ColtfanJ writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Who cares about calipers? That's for braking. Full speed ahead-- GO VOLS!!!

Maybe he can "stop" turning the ball over.

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

Dooley - Dont even think about trying to switch him to lefty... LOL Get Well Soon Bray! We need you back! Go Vols!!!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Mama_Says_I_Am_The_Best_Coach_In_The_Country:

Witch Doctor say we all know how it works...we tinkle your little bell and you come running. Witch Doctor say you easy and not need instructions. lol
Bones never lie.

FWBVol writes:

I think CDD should go ahead and play Worley and get him some experience. My thinking is, whether as fans we want to admit it or not, Bray could be gone after his junior if he has a strong season.

Play Worley this year and give him some experience so if something happens to Bray next year he'll have had some experience.

If you don't do that then the only way Worley should see the field is if he Simms goes down in a game we have a chance to win.

If we are getting beat by 21 points with five minutes left in the game and something happens to Simms it should be Nash Nance that gets the call.

Either CDD does everything possible to keep the Worley redshirt on track or you go ahead and burn it now with the idea that Bray wont' be back in 2013 and that still gives Worley two years as the starter.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Could this be a NCAA violation..some sort of device like a throwing assistant

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to VolsUpsetYetAnother:

Now that's funny. Bray seen throwing with left hand so two birds killed with one stone...James stone could use his natural left hand

Take_Back_Knoxville writes:

All of these freakish injuries the last couple of years has me thinking there's another kind of witch doctor out there. An evil one. Perhaps we need to bring back the magic stick. No, not Fulmer. Just the stick...

TommyJack writes:

I just hope we're not looking ahead to SC.

AtLannaVol writes:

We can make him bigger, faster, stronger....
na nananananana....If you're too young, that's "The Six Million Dollar Man" theme. In Tylers, case, it will be the $60 Million Dollar Man by the time he graduates.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Take_Back_Knoxville:

Witch Doctor curious a couple times and do some double checking, we OK as long a Bray dont have a condition called "Gerald Jones Bones" that snap and crack at the slightest touch. Witch Doctor say just gonna be a long year, no bad voodoo just bad Juju(luck)..
Bones never lie.

EMBuckles writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Feed 'em some of your monkey brain pot pies, WD! That'll get 'em healed up! ;>

eVOLved writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Who cares about calipers? That's for braking. Full speed ahead-- GO VOLS!!!

Calipers can also come in handy when you're trying to smoke a little roach.

vols2#227315 writes:

If you are afraid to put Whorley in, then put the other three in. UT is the only place that a quarterback can not be replaced unless it is an act of God. Try handing the ball of to a running back, or replace the coach for a game.

ABtheVolFan92 writes:

Im the biggest optomist there is and realize Matt Simms is awful he makes terrible decision, he really isn't a game manager hes just isnt a SEC quarterback Im from South Carolina and Worley is the truth play him now we have nothing to lose.

The_Reverend writes:

How is it this coaching staff trusts Simms to throw the long ball regularly but won't let him throw a screen?

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I just hope we're not looking ahead to SC.

Thanks for the chuckle TJ. GO VOLS!

Ironcity writes:

in response to Volunatic:

If thats what we get from an experienced QB I would hate to see what we get from an inexperienced QB

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Get well fast,Tyler!! You are missed and will continue to be missed.

Simms,bless his heart, is just not an SEC claiber QB and have no clue as to why Kiffin recruited him..But nevertheless, he is our QB until Bray returns and I will support him because he is a Vol.

I have seen youtube of Worley and he is the real deal..Plus,a gentleman from SC that posted underneath this article said that he was, so maybe we will get the chance to see him this year and get a preview.

Smokey say he will wave a magic wand so Bray will heal faster..

AllforTenn writes:

in response to ColtfanJ:

Sorry Matt. Thanks for battling but you're not SEC caliper.

What kind of "caliper" is SEC?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to The_Reverend:

Witch Doctor say he wasnt supposed to throw the long ball(2 ints.) Witch Doctor say he was supposed to hit the WIDE OPEN check downs. Witch Doctor believe he is a great kid and will become a pretty good coach(His true calling) Witch Doctor say no one with any football IQ expects much other than hopefully win the ones we are supposed to win and not lose by 100 the rest and Worley aint ready so buckle up...its gonna be a bumpy ride Rev. (respectfully)
Go Vols
Bones never lie.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to RUstilltalking:

Better be carefull, the last time I said something about Chaney's play calling, I was called an Idiot and the time before that I was stupid. Thus I guess I will go by Stupid_Idiot now! Three straight games, deep in our territory a pitch play has been called that lost 5 to 7 yards, we never recovered, then we punted and they had a short field to score. Chaney never learns from his mistakes.

willblitz4bacon writes:

in response to Mama_Says_I_Am_The_Best_Coach_In_The_Country:

I think charlie wiseass looks alot like that chaz bono freakshow...

RemembertheAlamo writes:

Speaking of play calling and time management, we were on defense, LSU offense was confused, 2 seconds left on the play clock and we call a timeout. They switch QBs and scores. Were the coaches, coaching the same game I was watching. DUH!

Chartervol writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Get well fast,Tyler!! You are missed and will continue to be missed.

Smokey say he will wave a magic wand so Bray will heal faster..

Anybody else want to take a stab at spelling caliber?

VOLliven2it writes:

It will not matter how well Matt Simms, Worley, or Nance or anyone else plays as our qb if the defense doesn't do the job for four quarters. That looks to be almost impossible in Tuscatown. But we will see.

snakeplissken writes:

Looks like Bray's return will coincide with possibly playing against Vandy and Kentucky, so he still wouldn't have played a quality SEC team after two seasons. I just hope Dooley won't put him back in too early, risking further irrepairable damage. I could start at qb and beat Vandy and Kentucky, so Dooley may save him for the bowl game.

givehim6 writes:

in response to SWVA_RockyTopVol:

Are you sure? Yes Simms played like a guy that has not been in the battle in a year, but he has been in the battle, he will get better as the rust shackes off. Nash must not be very good if he picked a red shirt guy as back-up over him. Calm down do not be so dramatic.

underthehill writes:

in response to RemembertheAlamo:

If questioning Chaney's play calling makes you an idiot and stupid count me in that group..I have never seen a worse call than against Florida..3rd and one ..run up the middle for a loss then miss a field goal..

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Euro_Vol:

You call Georgia and Florida quality SEC teams? ROFLMAO

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

You call Georgia and Florida quality SEC teams? ROFLMAO

Witch Doctor say your just trying for some kinda reaction/attention...whats your point? Witch Doctor say REAL football fans understand the situations...so what are you?
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

*you're
BNL

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to Euro_Vol:

He cannot be an Idiot...I am the Stupid Idiot...I give you the SC game last year...but Ga and Florida...Florida for sure is not a quality SEC team this year, and GA doesn't really play anyone to tell if they are or not.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to RemembertheAlamo:

Witch Doctor say Florida without Brantley is like Tennessee without Bray or the Colts without Peyton. Witch Doctor not understand why some are having such a hard time making this "leap". Witch Doctor say if your talking sports...pretty simple, IF your just wanting to agitate..how old are you?
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

*you're...Witch Doctor not learn from mistakes.
BNL

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to nfdeng13:

As it turned out, Fast Lane was not a good fit for our system, thank God.