Rebuilding process about more than results for Derek Dooley

Game preview: UT vs. Bama in Tuscaloosa

The checklist doesn't officially start with the obvious.

For any competitor, there's always going to be one thing that never has to be identified.

"Everybody wants to win," Derek Dooley said. "I mean, I want to win.

"We're going into every game trying to win the football game."

That doesn't change even when the personnel differences are glaring, when the rebuilding effort is measured against programs at the peak of their power or when injuries have removed some of the most talented players the Tennessee coach has at his disposal.

But there are going to be games along the way like a blowout last week to No. 1 LSU when even if Dooley is seeing progress, the scoreboard doesn't do much to reflect it. The challenge doesn't get any easier for the Vols at Bryant-Denny Stadium against No. 2 Alabama on Saturday night (TV: ESPN2, 7:15 p.m.), and while the ultimate goal remains the same and his unranked team has embraced another chance to play spoiler against a rival, at this stage in the process Dooley is still evaluating more than just victories or defeats.

"It's hard when you're a competitor," Dooley said. "It's hard to lose like that (against LSU). But it's important to keep your focus.

"No. 1, am I doing the best job that I can do as the head coach? No. 2, are coaches doing the best job they can do as assistants? No. 3, are the players playing as hard as we want them to play? If that's the case, then you have to wake up as a man and feel good about the work you're doing and not let the external disappointments or whatever you want to call them affect what your focus is — trying to get your team prepared to play the next game."

That effort seems to encounter a new hurdle almost every week for the Vols (3-3, 0-3 SEC) at the midway point of Derek Dooley's second season, with the two-game swing against the best teams in the country just part of the difficulty.

From Dooley on down through the coaching staff and to the players, UT has refused to budge from its policy of not making any excuses this season, even as possibilities have popped up during a sluggish start to conference play leading up to the meeting with the Crimson

Tide (7-0, 4-0).

The Vols are running low on veterans and leaning heavily on freshmen, they lost a star receiver for the year during the third game and could conceivably be without their starting quarterback for the rest of the regular season. And obviously they're having to deal with it all in a rugged conference featuring two prominent national title contenders.

But UT hasn't changed its expectations for anybody on the field, regardless of age. It has focused its offense around what backup quarterback Matt Simms can do well, which last week helped produce one of the best rushing performances of the season. And, of course, there's nothing that can be done about the schedule.

"You can't pick and choose who you play against," Simms said. "Hey, the first week it was rough for my first start against LSU, the No. 1 team in the country.

"But now we're just looking forward to playing the second team in the country."

Like every week, the Vols have tried to treat the Crimson Tide just like they would any other opponent, despite acknowledging their talent, ranking and the longstanding rivalry.

None of that changes what UT is seeking tonight — or in the long run.

"Is it difficult? Yeah," Dooley said. "You want to win and it doesn't mean you accept losing. Sometimes they happen, and then you've got to go regroup. There's nothing you can do but accept it, move forward and try to make sure it doesn't happen again. But that's not the standard.

"You're out there to compete and you're out there to improve and turn this thing into what the expectations are. But if you get so focused on the results, you will never do the things that are necessary to give you the results you want."

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volfanlostnbama writes:

I for one am proud of our coach, coaching staff, and their approach--we were and are so far behind, you at least have to give their approach a fighting chance! I am hanging with them come hail or high water and take the results as they come!

orangeman1 writes:

OK. So, injuries and youth arent accepted as excuses according to Dooley yet thats all I keep hearing this year. Just speak the truth. Let me let the coaches and players in on a secret. Everyone but them has lowered their expectations of this team. I know because of "coach speak" they have to say certain things, but if youth/injuries are really no excuse then they arent doing too good a job. I think Dooley knows it is, but just cant say it.

The_Realist writes:

Now that's funny.

D60 writes:

The only way Tenn can be competitive is to leave the SEC and go to the WAC,if Dooley ever wins more than 8 games it will be a miracle

volfan2002 writes:

This year all that could be expected is 6 and 6 or 7 and 5 and that is still the hope for this team. The next two seasons the 58 sophomores and freshmen on this team will be juniors and sophomores so we should be better and win at least eight. The following year is the key year for Dooley with 58 plus juniors and seniors he will be expected to win big only time will tell.

RUstilltalking writes:

His approach is right but the results he is getting is not looking to good. I have said this in other posts, the score doesn't matter at this point. How are they playing? And right now they are not playing good at all in any phase. Defense looks to have the most promise if they had some depth. Other then that they look mediocre at best on fundamentals, effort, execution, and being prepared.

BigOrange_supporter writes:

in response to D60:

No, now thats funny!

volsindallas writes:

in response to D60:

What is wrong with you only Alabama has more SEC conference titles than Tennessee. So I believe they are pretty competitive. I know you are on the short bus, so you can only see what is right in front of you through your narrow scope. Before you open your mouth learn a little about the Tennessee football, it's history and great traditions.

gatorstomper writes:

Enjoy. The days of people beating up on UT are comeing to an end. Kiffin's top ten class was manly becouse of Brown, Richenson, Jackson, and Teage. Only one of those reman and is not that great of a coner back. Let Dooley get his guys here for a coulpe years then we will sing rocky top all night long.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to volfan2002:

My expectations will be back to what they were before Dooley got here next year. There is no reason why they shouldnt win 9 games next year with the players we have returning. The whole offens returns and will be all Jr's or Sr except for Rb and with the experience they are gettin this year, there will be no excuse for the offense next year. The defense only loses 3 players and will mostly be made up of Seniors and Jrs except for LB, which we will get Lathers back and the two starting Fresh from this year so I expect to win the East next year with all the talent and experience we have coming back and the fact that Florida, Georgia, and SC arent in the same league with LSU and Bama.

keithgibson writes:

in response to volsindallas:

I believe if you read the post he said the only way Dooley will win 8 games. the poster was refering to the present! you need to get off of the short bus and stop living in the past, and try living in 2011 where Tenn football is equal to Vanderbilt as far as on the field production.

utvols420 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Dooley is saying they will try to compete in every game despite injuries and youth. They certainly are factors in the final outcome of the game. I don't see outbursts on the sidelines anymore. I don't see players pointing fingers at each other anymore. Those are definitely steps in the right direction. I can't believe I'm saying this, in only his second year, but give Dooley time. Do you really want to change coaches AGAIN? Sometimes wanting to win so bad actually keeps you from doing so. Its a fact we have mostly freshmen and sophomores. It's a fact that we lost a beast of a reciever. It's a fact we have now lost an outstanding quarterback. Injuries are a part of the game and can demolish a team's prospects. I'm just glad we are still trying to win games without a bunch of Brandon Warrens' pointing and blaming each other. Dooley has certainly recruited some high class individuals.

PureOrange writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Please keep writing. The more you write, the more people find you know little about which you speak.

Dooley will be successful, and you will grow very tired of the crow you will be eating.

Find your team you can be happy with. I am happy with mine.

Go Vols!

volspaws writes:

I think that most of the fan base has bought in....Coach Dooley has the lineage and the resume...we just need to see some on field results to keep us interested and give us hope...It's not reasonable to expect to beat LSU or Alabama this year...it is reasonable to expect few penalties, good fundamentals, and the demonstrated ability to get lined up correctly for a play...Go Vols!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Find your team you can be happy with. I am happy with mine.

Go Vols!

You find a new team. I've been a Vol all my life. If you are happy losing 6/7 games a year then I cant help you. By they way. What have I written thats incorrect? I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've NEVER said I want Dooley fired. I've said he needs till next year. Are you going to continue lowering your expectations next year too even though we have almost the whole team returning? I wont be eating crow if Dooley is successful either. I will be loving it, but I also wont be making excuse next year if he isnt. Again, what did I say that was incorrect?

SmokeDog1972 writes:

I'm glad Dooley isn't basing his assessment on wins and losses (or else the dude would not have been able to get out of bed this year), but let's face it, us Vol fans are sick of moral victories or keeping it close. We are getting blown out by our supposed equals in the SEC. I am sick of being embarrassed by rivals. We are bringing up the rear. Think about it, next year should be better, but what does that mean? 8-4? That was a rebuilding year in 1994. Now, it equates to significant progress? You got to be kidding me. I won't be satisfied until we win the conference or play for the conference again. Until then, this "moral victory" and "best we can do" garbage is for the birds. Sounds like a line you would hear from someone paid millions that is not delivering any short-term results. Granted, I want a stable program challenging for conference championships over the course of 10-15 years, but I also want to be able to have quality win or two while "progress" is going on. We haven't beaten anybody worth anything in over two years. It gets old, my friends. Hell, my alcohol consumption has doubled since Dooley came on board.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to volfan2002:

I would think many want the bar moved to a minimum of 9 wins next year followed by 10+ wins the fourth year. I'm not sure how it will be taken if this season is below 6-6. I would not think it's improved without a 7-5 this year. That's possible now that SC has an issue.

tn88volfan writes:

I think Dooley has a good grip on the program,,,look at the problems #1 and #2 are having right now....Alabama Calloway arrested for illegal drugs this morning and had one die because of drugs before season started, LSU players suspended for failed drug tests,,,they will all be back on their teams....ask Jackson what Dooley did with him...I had rather have a foundation of class act players than a #1 team of thugs and criminals....Dooley is a class act

D60 writes:

in response to keithgibson:

Dooley isn't the answer to UT football and I will eat crow if he wins the SEC,La tech doesn't play in the SEC is this VPI Keith?

slb#1351874 writes:

It is astonoshing when one reads all the nonense that the arm chair Quarterbacks spite out when they open their pie holes. It is pretty obvious that most if not all never played the game even in Pop Warner yet they are an authority. Geeze it is unbeliveable how dumb some folks are. Makes one wonder how they get from their bedroom to the bathroom just to take a pee-pee.
Go coach those of us who understand what you are up against and comprehend your plan for the future have your back.

Go Vols

NashvillePreds writes:

My hopes:
We get out of tuscaloser with no major injuries, and don't embarrass ourselves.
I believe we have a chance against SC, and hence the no major injuries hope.
Dooley has to get to 6-6, and with any sort of luck, 7-5 is still not out of the question.
It's hard to believe I'm saying this, but it looks as though the season will hinge on beating VU. (BTW, James Franklin is a blowhard w/ absolutely no substance. I don't see them beating Wake, and don't see them at any better than 5-7)
Next year, expectations should be for 8 wins, and I think Dooley knows that.
GO VOLS

orangeman1 writes:

in response to tn88volfan:

I have a feeling if UT was #1 right now that a player getting arrested wouldnt be a big deal. I dont remember anyone complaining about arrests when Fulmer was having so much success from 93- to 2001. And did you really just mention Jackson as an example of how strict Dooley is? You do remember him not practicing before the bowl game then playing in the game? Then allowing JJ to quit the team and school only to let him back on the team just in time for Fall. That bit him in the end. Not a good example to compare with. I do agree Dooley has class, character, and intelligence. I also think he is recruiting players to allow UT to compete in the SEC. Next year should be telling. No excuses.

martinvol34 writes:

in response to volfanlostnbama:

Amen

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I think PureOrange either misread your post or is a troll trying to get under your skin.

From what I read in your post, you werent saying anything wrong or demeaning, and you certainly werent saying anything against Coach Dooley.

I think PureOrange just misread your post, what with all the garbage the trolls have been posting on here...it is almost getting difficult to discern the sarcasm from the real talk.

pogiegovols writes:

Oklahoma,Alabama,Miami,USC are all examples of programs that were on top then fell off hard and got back to the top. It will happen for us but not overnight. It takes time and patience, I know in this era its win now but our fan base has to be patient. We will get there and I believe Dooley will get be the one to get us there. Go Vols!!!!

VolunteerLifer writes:

The fact is that injuries and youth and a lack of depth ARE excuses, make no bones about it, whether the team and coaches use it as an excuse or not. The key to Dooley's rebuilding success will be recruiting. so far, he is recruiting well. The freshmen and sophs on this team prove it. When they become juniors and seniors, and IF the classes behind them are good recruits, Dooley will succeed. If they are not, he will not. Repeat after me, "the key is recruiting....the key is recruiting........"

wallingdad writes:

in response to volspaws:

I agree with the lineage but i am struggling to understand what resume he has....

FWBVol writes:

What some people don't seem to understand is sometimes there is a fine line between an excuse and a reason. I believe the reason we are struggling right now is because of our youth and the injuries. That's not excuse, that's the fact. An excuse tries to shift the blame to someone or something else. Such as the outfielder that lost the fly ball in the sun when it was a night game.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to utvols420:

Aptly put fellow Vol fan. The most blatant example of youth and inexperience isn't coming from Dooley and the Vols, but from our fellow posters who simply have no perception of the dynamics of collegiate sports. Dudes, from the team managers up to the coaches, the Vols are REBUILDING. I know saying it won't make it happen, but as another poster put it, either support the Vols or pick another team. GBO!

Navaloranges writes:

in response to D60:

Another new name...same old whine...

Says who, YOU? Let me explain something to you. YOU don't even understand the GAME, much less what it takes to coach it.Compare his LSU time if you are trying to be realistic. BTW, he improved LaTech by leaps and bounds, but you probably don't get that either. We all know you're football challenged, so your reason for making a joke out of yourself must be for the attention factor. That's just pathetic.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

I think a lot of us read it the same way and agree with you. PureOrange either misread the post, he misunderstood it or probably meant to respond to a different post. RDS, I think you were spot on.

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

mytrifecta writes:

Anyone can win if they have the best talent and most depth. Great coaches win with average talent by finding ways to get the absolute best out of them. We're not going to have the best talent and most depth for a while...I sure hope we have a great coach.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to CoondogsOfWar:

I agree with you, but even though we were losing in the late 70's we had Mr. Excitment.

volsindallas writes:

in response to keithgibson:

Actually, if you would read the post correctly, he saying that for Tennessee to be competitive we would have to leave the SEC conference. Now we know for the present that is not possible, so he must be talking about the future. But, if you read my post I am talking about Tennessee being competitive in the SEC conference since we have more SEC titles than any other SEC school except for Alabama. This is because of our great winning traditions. As you know all teams have down years and no one team stays on top. So, since we are talking about the future and not the present...Tennessee will be back. Since past behaviors is the most powerful indicator of future behaviors. At least that is what the experts tells us. GO VOLS

sm1 writes:

in response to D60:

Ever is long time.

beartn#223846 writes:

<<" It has focused its offense around what backup quarterback Matt Simms can do well, which last week helped produce one of the best rushing performances of the season. "

Now that's funny.

This has probably already been addressed, but Simms did have to check to the running play that would work best vs. the defensive alignment. I think he did do a good job with that. Obviously, he will have to throw accurately to the correct receiver going forward.

GerryOP writes:

"We're going into every game trying to win the football game."

3-3 on the way to 10-3 baby... 10-3.

volsgirl writes:

in response to D60:

True fan !!!!!!!

utfutbolfan writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

That's the best comment on here. Well said.
GBO!

DaveVol writes:

Saban's record at Michigan State:
6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
9-2
Things take time, talent and depth matter.

sm1 writes:

Like him, or loathe him, most people will agree that Nick Saban is a good coach. In 1995 he came into a situation at Michigan State that is comparable, in my opinion, to the present situation at Tennessee. For comparison, let's look at how Saban did at Michigan State:

1995: 6-5-1
1996: 6-6-0
1997: 6-6-0
1998: 6-6-0
1999: 9-2-0 in the regular season. Saban left for LSU before the bowl game. But Michigan State did beat Florida that year in the Citrus Bowl to finish the season 10-2.

Also consider this, Saban's first year at Alabama, the Crimson Tide went 6-6, including a loss at home to Louisiana-Monroe.

That's why I say, wins and losses do not always tell the whole story. If Dooley and his staff, and the players are truly focusing on the things that contribute to winning, then eventually, the wins will come.

I think Dooley is doing things the right way, and that he is building a good foundation for long term success, even though, in the meantime, we are losing more than we want. (I would love to go undefeated every year, but that's hard to do.)

Michigan State did not win more than 6 games in a season until Saban's 5th year. If Michigan State's fans are like many that post on here, I am sure they were saying, "Saban's a bum." "He needs to go back to Toledo."

It is still way too early to know what caliber of coach Dooley is.

sm1 writes:

in response to DaveVol:

Saban's record at Michigan State:
6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
9-2
Things take time, talent and depth matter.

Great minds think alike. I was having internet issues, or else, I would have just let you say what you said so succintly, without commenting myself.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

I think the article would be more clear if they differentiated between the short-term and long-term goals.

Obviously, the long-term rebuilding process is all about results.

DaveVol writes:

in response to sm1:

I thought it was funny we had the same thought in mind.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

This is the same coach that went for two down by 17 points thus leaving his team needing three scores in the 4th rather than 2 scores had he kicked the extra point down to 16 points. Then on the Derrick Dooley show his only explination was "Normally I wouldnt go for two there"..Hey Idiot you NEVER go for two there...And this is a SEC Head Coach? Only in Knoxville

AllforTenn writes:

in response to orangeman1:

How trivial. What secret? They coaches and players know this. And of course he could say it. He doesn't want to whine about something everyone already knows.

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to sm1:

1995: 6-5-1
1996: 6-6-0
1997: 6-6-0
1998: 6-6-0

It is still way too early to know what caliber of coach Dooley is.

Your last sentence is the main point a lot of Tennessee fans feel about Dooley. We have no basis to know if he's any good or not other than his past records, which are NOT good. Let's be real, Mike Hamilton messed up Tennessee football to the point where we had to hire a head coach that was mostly unproven to coach in the SEC, the toughest league in the nation. So, we all hope Dooley pans out. But I'm not going to say he's great just because he's Tennessee's coach. He has to eventually prove he's worthy of that.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Another new name...same old whine...

Took the words out of my mouth. New face D60. Nine posts so far. So who do you think this fool is? Doesn't matter. A fool is a fool.

dandyseniors#546965 writes: