Five big things for Tennessee-Alabama

1. The Saban Spread: Alabama is a four-touchdown favorite, and that's throwing in a two-point conversion. Welcome to life in the Nick Saban era. Besides 'Bama's 12-10 squeaker in 2009, Saban's other three Crimson Tide teams have beaten the Vols by 31, 20 and 24 points. It's up to Tennessee to prove Vegas wrong.

2.The Fab Four: In Saban's 61 games as Alabama's coach only four opposing backs have rushed for 100 yards. Tennessee's Tauren Poole is one of them, gaining 117 yards last year in Alabama's 41-10 win in Knoxville. Poole had a promising showing last week against LSU. The Vols need him to make it a Fab Five today.

3. Turnovers? Yeah, Right: The best way for an underdog to level the playing field is by producing turnovers. Alabama has gone 50 consecutive offensive possessions without giving up a turnover. In four SEC games, the Tide hasn't turned it over once. Repeat, not once. The Vols, meanwhile, are looking for their first interception since opening day.

4. Snap Shuffle: Alex Bullard makes his first start at center in hopes of addressing an irritating problem of providing Matt Simms with accurate shotgun snaps. He swaps jobs with James Stone, who moved to left guard. Simms is going to have plenty of issues without wondering whether the snap will be at his ankles or his ears.

5. Get Rich: Alabama tailback Trent Richardson is on the Heisman Trophy shortlist and for good reason. He has six consecutive 100-yard rushing games, the longest streak in the nation. The Vols' defense has to load up in the box to make Richardson earn every yard and make Alabama take some shots in the air.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

BustaRhymes writes:

Five big things for Tennessee-Alabama: 1. Our uniforms look better. 2. We don’t have to live in Alabama. 3. Do they still sell fried chicken at Bama games…? If so, there’s that. 4. We’ve gotten really good at post-game interviews following a blow-out loss. 5. The only people that will actually watch the game on ESPN “the Ocho” are Bama fans, relatives of the Vols players and people who lost their remote and cannot change the channel.

Netmom writes:

in response to BustaRhymes:

+1 -- excellent!

fanzzz writes:

As a Bama fan, I've seen nothing from Dooley to suggest he's going to be a successful coach in the SEC. What is it about him Vol fans like? Is there anything at all? Anything?

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

TeeTRUTH writes:

in response to fanzzz:

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

What was Sabans record at Michigan State? Dooley even coached under Saban. So he deserves at least two more years to get to at least 10 wins and above.
Alabama fans should be worried because Suitcase Saban will probably leave to go somewhere else.

fanzzz writes:

@TeeTRUTH

I was just wondering what it is that makes you guys believe in Dooley because I myself don't see anything.

GiveHimSixMoreYears writes:

6. Expect another Doolittle blowout at the hands of a real coach, Saban. 0-6 against Ga., Fl. and Al.

7. It gets us 1 week closer to the inevitable, the Vandy game. That's when a 1st year coach (Franklin), with a perennial doormat, removes all doubt about Doofus - sending Vandy to a bowl and our Vols home for the holidays.

Progress, Right!

Upgrayedd writes:

in response to fanzzz:

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

The reason that you have seen nothing from Dooley can be attributed to the fact that you're a Bama fan. It's kinda hard to look ahead to the future when ya'll can't let go of the past (Bear Bryant).

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to GiveHimSixMoreYears:

Progress, Right!

8.)You're a troll seeking attention.

9.)Drop this "we" c-r-a-p out of your posts.

10.) Just wasted 2 min. of my morning responding to your BS.

Smokey says you have a nice day,Jeff..

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

@ the Bama fan: Where did Saban coach before Michigan St. hired him?? Just curious.

Smokey says everyone has to start somewhere..

BigOrange_supporter writes:

in response to GiveHimSixMoreYears:

Progress, Right!

Really, Thats all you got? Come back tomorrow when you guys win and we still love Dooley. We love to win but remember its only a game for bragging rights and wasting a Saturday afternoon or night. After football, life really really does go on.

TeeTRUTH writes:

in response to fanzzz:

@TeeTRUTH

Well I think his coaching stile is alot like Sabans. Its not going to be fancy but it will eventually win games.I believe he is committed to winning, this is his shot at doing something big.His only downfall could be not making changes in his coaching staff if changes need to be made.Hes got a job to do and if others are not on the same page or cant keep up they need to go. These guys make good money but you have to earn your money.I just hope Dooley has the leadership to see this.

TarheelVol writes:

in response to fanzzz:

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

Dooley has little talent to work with in Knoxpatch so the verdict is out
on him for another year. Vol fans like him because we think he's got
a good approach to player recruiting, discipline and development
that will put us back where we've been in the past. In other words -
beating you Bammers.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned with losing "Suitcase Nick".
In case you haven't noticed, he has Ohio ties and there is a very large
school there with all the money in the world who will be hiring a new
coach soon. The dude has a NC at Bama, may get another one this
year and has a statue. There's not much "up" left in Tuscaloosa
for the Nickster. And everyone knows you Bammers are
pretty tough on coaches.

And when the Nickster leaves, we'll be right back to owning your
Rammer Jammer arses just like in the 90's. Can't wait. Or, or, maybe
we get you guys this year because you've viewed this game
as a cake walk since June and are looking past us to LSU.

volfan2002 writes:

Please give us another chance to win with a field goal on the last play.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Smokey says everyone has to start somewhere..

Toledo...I think.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Upgrayedd:

OUCH!! Tell it. Them Bama fans started coming back out of the woodwork after being in hiding for so many years. They finally bought their way back to the top by hiring Saban. He wont be there forever, and Dooley should have a good team the next couple of years.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to GiveHimSixMoreYears:

Progress, Right!

I think you need six more enemas,bub.

bobbarbilly writes:

in response to fanzzz:

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

Bammeranians really get off by trashing and bashing and piling on the temporarily sick kid in the neighborhood. Don't ya'll? Enjoy. It is for a limited time only. As John Russell said to Dean Martin," every man should have a little taste of power."

TarheelVol writes:

So what happens if we pull off the upset of the century tonight?

- Angry Bammers loot Walmarts from Mobile to Huntsville.

- The Governor declares a state of emergency in Alabama.

- Bammer students spray paint nasty things on Saint Nick's statue.

- Harvey Updyke shoots Smokey.

We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the
Vols will hang tough tonight. My prediction: UT 17, Bama 14 in an
all time classic. UPSET OF THE CENTURY!

underthehill writes:

in response to TarheelVol:

So what happens if we pull off the upset of the century tonight?

- Angry Bammers loot Walmarts from Mobile to Huntsville.

- The Governor declares a state of emergency in Alabama.

- Bammer students spray paint nasty things on Saint Nick's statue.

- Harvey Updyke shoots Smokey.

We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the
Vols will hang tough tonight. My prediction: UT 17, Bama 14 in an
all time classic. UPSET OF THE CENTURY!

..and Dave Hart returns to bama as AD..

GiveHimSixMoreYears writes:

6. So called Vol fans finding a silver lining in another Doolittle blowout loss and calling it progress.

7. So called Vol fans getting giddy over a 165lb 4.5-40 back (Young), because he's a local.

8. So called Vol fans presuming a losing mid-major coach is going to turn us around with 8th ranked SEC recruiting classes.

Bama Special Teams 14
Derek Doofus 3

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Toledo...I think.

Thanks,cv.

brokendownoldvol writes:

This may finally be KY's yr. even though it's the worst KY team in 20 yrs. Things are looking that bad for TN. I actually dread tonight. In 45 yrs. of really watching TN football I don't think I've every dreaded a game.

thevoice writes:

Wonder what the margin of victory has to be today for Vol fans to realize Dooley's not the right person for this job. If not this game, how about the Arkansas game the Vandy game, or any other game? Honestly, I'm looking for numbers. Someone tell us all why we should trust in blind hope. I'm almost hoping for a 40+ point blowout today so the rest of the Vol Nation, including Mr. Hart and associates, realize the state of affairs on Rocky Top and the projected future.

UTKin1992 writes:

All this talk is cheap. Alabama is the favorite for a reason and should easily win barring something catostrophic...

...and I sooo wish THAT would happen.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to TarheelVol:

So what happens if we pull off the upset of the century tonight?

- Angry Bammers loot Walmarts from Mobile to Huntsville.

- The Governor declares a state of emergency in Alabama.

- Bammer students spray paint nasty things on Saint Nick's statue.

- Harvey Updyke shoots Smokey.

We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the
Vols will hang tough tonight. My prediction: UT 17, Bama 14 in an
all time classic. UPSET OF THE CENTURY!

And the devil has to get his snow skis out of storage. By the way, Tarheel, good point about the opening at OSU, but the man that locals are wishin' and hopin' for is an Ohio boy who temporarily has given up a place on the sidelines for a place in the ESPN studio. He had a couple of good stints at Utah & UF.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Vol_USArmy_Soldier:

I don't think it's as much "coming out flat" as being beaten flat by lack of depth. Most teams start juniors and seniors and spell them with sophomores and freshmen. Unfortunately for us (and Auburn this year too), we are starting the latter and have very few of the former who can contribute. Kiffin's vanishing 2009 class is killing us now and will continue to do so for at least 3 more years, when all of them, including redshirts, would have graduated. All the coaching, scheming, and motivational speaking in the world cannot add experience, maturity, or strength to these players - only time can do that. On top of that, take away our two best offensive and defensive players (Bray, Hunter, Lathers, and Janzen) from the projected lineup in August and the problems are magnified. I hate it too but Fulmer's marginal recruiting his last two years and Kiffin's flop have had the same effect as NCAA sanctions and it will take equally long to shake it off. I'd say it will be 2013 before we are truly competitive in the East and at least another year beyond that before we can go toe to toe with the formidable West. One year sooner would be awesome but probably too much to expect, considering where we are right now. It is what it is. Go Vols!!!

fanzzz writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Toledo...I think.

Saban was 9-2 his first year coaching, at Toledo. When we hired him he had a NC on his resume. Dooley had more losses than wins when you hired him, and he still does.

TIDER writes:

in response to fanzzz:

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

As a Bama fan, you are a pud. Although it pains me to say I think the viles have landed themselves a good man and a good coach. His presence has tempered my hate, it is a bit disorienting. I know deep down I hate you vols like no one else, but I am forced to look at pics of Fulmer or read about his scheming to get the old fire back. I wish success for Dooley and think he will have it. Today is what college football is about for me and as much I hat to admit it, I respect you viles like no other opponent as well, unlike the other object of my hatred in my own state. Good luck today vols. The SEC needs a strong UT and I think we'll have it in the coming years if you guys can stay patient and let Dooley climb out from under yall's self imposed probation.

GiveHimSixMoreYears writes:

The only thing Doolittle has accomplished at UT is lowering expectations to a new low, and ushering in a bunch of fans who describe success as being at the same level as also rans, like Michigan State and South Carolina.

Give us a break and read, for yourselves, what you Dooley sniffers actually post.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to thevoice:

Go ahead then, fire him now. If you do, considering the disadvantages every pundit in the country agrees he is handling as well as he can, your next coach will come from even lower on the food chain. No amount of money, influence, or politics could attract another head coach or top-shelf assistant from any D-1 school. Let's see, we fired Fulmer, a bona fide homer and UT legend, in the middle of a season. We then bypassed several decent candidates and hired a smarmy California blow-hard who had trouble with every boss he'd had and who subsequently left to go to a school on probation. Icing? 2/3 of his vaunted "Top 10" recruiting class no longer goes to UT. Then you would have us fire Dooley two years into a personnel situation similar to NCAA sanctions?

What would we say? Yeah, we've had three coaches in 4 years, none of whom have won more than 7 games. We're down about 20% on scholarship players and have the fewest number of D-1 recruits in our home state of any of our top SEC rivals. We can't really pay you a top-shelf salary because of point # 1. We haven't beaten Bama, Florida, or LSU in recent memory and aren't sure we can take Vandy this year. We also have a brand new AD and have no idea how that's gonna work out. Oh, by the way, we haven't been to a BCS game since 1998 but our fans think we should probably compete for national championships by 2012 or so. So, whadya say?

Folks, it is what it is and no coaching change will speed up the process. Dooley's last two classes are good, he seems by all (outside) accounts to have top assistants, and he has cleaned up the program considerably, something both Saban and Chizik both did on Day One with fairly good results down the road. I am not happy about our team right now but I understand that we didn't get here in two years and nobody, NOBODY, could have fixed it in two years either. If, when Dooley's recruits are Jrs and Srs we are still consistently struggling against good teams and getting hammered by great teams, then I would be fine with a change because at that point, a change is warranted. We're just not there yet. Go Vols!!!

born2ride writes:

I hope we can stay within 30 points. That will be a moral victory for Coach Dooley. UT does not have the talent to compete against the top teams in the SEC.

BigBoyBall writes:

in response to fanzzz:

I hope the mild-mannered Mr. Dooley stays in Knoxville for a long time.

dubose, shula, price?

fanzzz writes:

in response to TIDER:

How do ill-informed morons like you learn to access the Internet?

"I think the viles have landed themselves a good man and a good coach" STUPID

"I wish success for Dooley" STUPID

"Today is what college football is about for me" STUPID

"The SEC needs a strong UT" STUPID

You're an embarrassment.

BigBoyBall writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

then hide your face in the dirt and root for another team. as for me, i will be cheering for the vols no matter what until i die. go vols

CroKev writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

OK Merle, just how good a job do you think Saban could do with the team Dooley and company inherited? UT would have had a pretty darn good team this year, even with all the youth, if their 2 best players (by far!) on offense and defense hadn't been lost to injury (or kicked off the team). Get a grip kid.

BigBoyBall writes:

in response to fanzzz:

How do ill-informed morons like you learn to access the Internet?

"I think the viles have landed themselves a good man and a good coach" STUPID

"I wish success for Dooley" STUPID

"Today is what college football is about for me" STUPID

"The SEC needs a strong UT" STUPID

You're an embarrassment.

"fanzzz"STUPID.

CroKev writes:

in response to TIDER:

Tider, thanks for your post and my apologies for your fellow fan, zzz. We have a few jerk fans as well. I just wish all those types of fans would go join their lot at Gator Nation...

CroKev writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

"... and frankly, a receiver that can't jump up in the air and land in open space without a season ending injury is not good either."

I think you should cut & paste this comment at the beginning of all your future posts just so potential readers know what to expect re. your credibility...

sameolvolalum writes:

This merlot/css/pudpacker fella'.......Jeff Flowers..... must have to pee in a bottle in order to jump back onto this site at every repost. Those eeky freaky nicknames aren't only lame and unoriginal, they also reek of a mommy fondness that makes this weakling appear downright perverted. Sentence structuring gives you away Jeffrey.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to thevoice:

Today's game and this season's results won't have a bearing since Dooley will given until 2013 to have us competitive. If we just go 6-6 this year and only won 7 or 8 games next year, Dooley may get his walking papers but I think he would just be put on notice that in 2013 he has to be in the SEC championship game, or else.
I realized it was over for Dooley after the Florida debacle, and confirmed my belief after a two-loss Georgia team came into Neyland and whipped us with two freshmen and a sophomore. This team will only be slighly better in 2013, but nowhere close to the top SEC teams.

thevoice writes:

in response to BigBoyBall:

dubose, shula, price?

Sadly I have to agree with you. Nobody seems capable of stating any tangible evidence that Dooley's the man. It all seems to be hope, faith, and a dose of cool-aide.

Seeking intelligent response.

thevoice writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

(previously responded to the wrong comment)

Seeking intelligent response.

fanzzz writes:

in response to BigBoyBall:

"fanzzz"STUPID.

BigBoyBall, I didn't say anything bad about UT. I only criticized a fellow Bama fan for going down on Dooley. I doubt, for example, you actually wish Saban success today as moron did Dooley.

fanzzz writes:

in response to thevoice:

(previously responded to the wrong comment)

Seeking intelligent response.

Completely agree with you,thevoice. It takes an exceptional person to be a successful head coach in the SEC. There is a long list of coaches who failed at it. I think Dooley will fail as well. Question is, can UT hire a coach like Patrino, Saban, or Miles.

thevoice writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

7/8 wins next year is a stretch. Unless we get incoming freshmen that can contribute immediately (remember the ole saying, "Every freshmen you start equates to one loss"). Fortunately LSU's off the schedule, but UF, A&M, AL, USC, UGA won't. Just don't see it.

Dooley has made it evident that the Vol's OL and DL don't get better with experience and coaching. Hunter and likely Bray will leave after 2012. Dooley can't figure out how to get a center to snap the ball shotgun. Untimely timeouts, substitution issues, adjustment inability in second half, other coaching gaffes. Things just aren't adding up.

GiveHimSixMoreYears writes:

in response to fanzzz:

The fools here apparently want Doolittle and are willing to lower traditional Tennessee expectations to any depth to keep him. These Doofus snifferes are a different breed than any group who's ever followed UT football.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

Got to have 9 next year and 9-10 in 2013 or he is gone

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Man I know the feeling! I'm really dreading it too. LSU last week, now Bama, and both on National TV.

I just hope and pray it isn't a total, complete blowout.

BleednUrnge81 writes:

hey give em six, young has performed against everyone. shut up. GO VOLS!!!!!! check the stats.