John Adams: Football foreign object to Vols during collapse

John Adams
Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley talks with his defense during the fourth quarter against Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley talks with his defense during the fourth quarter against Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Game recap: Bama 37, UT 6

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Derek Dooley knows his team better than I do. The Tennessee coach proved it early in the third quarter when he chose to go for a fourth-and-1 Saturday night at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"Bone-headed call," I thought before quarterback Matt Simms plunged slightly forward.

I saw the risk in giving Alabama the ball at the UT 39-yard line. Dooley saw the risk in giving Alabama the ball at all.

After the Tide stopped Simms several inches short of a first down, quarterback A.J. McCarron connected with wide receiver Kenny Bell for a 39-yard touchdown pass.

But it didn't matter where the Tide got the ball in the second half. UT couldn't stop it.

No. 2 Alabama scored on every possession but its last two of the second half in a 37-6 victory over the Vols, who dropped to 0-4 in the SEC and lost their third consecutive conference game by a combined score of 95-25.

By the time Alabama had put the "Roll" back in "Roll Tide," it was as though the 6-6 first half had never happened.

The Vols stumbled through the third quarter in a 20-12 loss to Georgia two weeks ago. LSU dominated them in the second half of a 38-7 victory last week.

But those were merely bad quarters and halves. This was an epic collapse.

Alabama had 31 points in the second half. Tennessee didn't make a first down.

The Vols couldn't have looked any worse if they had been shot with tranquilizer darts as they ran onto the field after halftime. And the offense was as bad as the defense.

The UT offense bottomed out in the fourth quarter. It didn't just fail to make a first down. It couldn't protect the ball, turning the ball over twice — on an interception and a fumble.

The disparity between the teams was never more evident than on the fourth-quarter interception by Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower. He looked like an All-American running back as his weaved his way through UT players on a 29-

yard run to the 9-yard line.

Hightower's run wasn't the tackling low point for the Vols, though. That occurred on Alabama's third touchdown drive of the third quarter.

The Tide breezed 63 yards in six plays against a defense that might as well have screamed "no mas." Backup running back Eddie Lacey had consecutive runs of 10, 19 and 16 yards. That set up a touchdown run by Trent Richardson, who plowed through the middle of the UT defense for 12 yards.

Alabama was merciful as well as dominant in the second half.

For example, take its second-to-last possession of the game, which began at the UT 39. With the exception of a couple of short passes, Alabama simply ran straight ahead with its backup quarterback, Phillip Sims, handing the ball repeatedly to its third-string tailback, Jalston Fowler.

Even that was almost too much for a battered UT defense. Finally, it stopped Fowler 1 yard short of the goal line on fourth down.

The Tide had another chance to score moments later when it gained possession on the UT 8-yard line with 55 seconds to play. Sims then took a knee on consecutive plays to run out the clock.

The outcome was hardly surprising to UT fans, only a small contingent of which made the trip to Tuscaloosa on behalf of a 30-point underdog. The smart ones left after the first half.

Those who stuck around for the second-half drubbing probably didn't feel much differently than the Neyland Stadium crowd after a 38-7 loss to No. 1 LSU a week earlier.

They knew it could have been worse.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

underthehill writes:

..small contingent of Vol fans in Tusc not nearly as significant as large contingent in Knox area...I did not see a single UT flag on a vehicle in my little town west of Knox..had a friend visit Turkey Creek and he saw one flag on a truck...not good...

JimmyJoe writes:

Yeah why can't Dooley coach in the second half? His teams have pretty much quit in every game over the last two years except the ones they were favored in... Oh and the two in which we snatched defeat out o the jaws of victory....what gives? We played like men in the first half today and then all put on dresses and played like a bunch of little girls in the second half. I'm tired of the stupid orange pants too... Coach why don't you trade those pants in for some toughness? Maybe we need a real man to coach this team...like your mom!

flatrock writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Before you waste your time and effort in attempting to be cute, it might be wise to check the facts:

-Alabama's starting 22 began this season with a combined 64 years in the Tide program;

-Tennessee's starting 22 began this season with a combined 28 years in the Vol program;

-Alabama also played with their best QB, best WR, best LBer and best DB;

-Tennessee played without their best QB, best WR, best LB and best DB.

Smoke this: No SEC head coach would swap rosters with Derek Dooley, regardless of how many Walmarts you would rob to pay him.

Derek Dooley is the right man with the right staff (44 more years of weight room time for his starters and back-ups would really help!).

Build from the positives of the first half- and move on. Go Vols!

JimmyJoe writes:

SGTSpurge writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

"Can you tell me and the rest of the loyal tennessee fans out there what we ever did to deserve this?"
...
This is a question that I'm afraid you'd have to ask Mike Hamilton. He's the only one who can answer that.

bamavolfan writes:

we need to stay behind this team and coaching staff.we will beat sc next week and i know we will start seeing alot more progress.

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

I would have bet you were a 17 year old product of time out by your first post.

Have paitence.

ps11824 writes:

In the hometown of the World Famous Jack Daniel BBQ Cook-off, crimson was the dominating color. Yuck! I kept wondering, "why aren't they in BD stadium?" I suppose they'd rather eat bbq & boast in Tennessee. Can't blame them; that being my 1st choice ; )

Go Vols!

bigfreeze writes:

Cigar, anyone? five years in a row. See you next year in Saban-Neyland Stadium.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to bamavolfan:

While watching Vandy beat Army last night for their homecoming the stands were pretty empty.....This is from years of losing and inadequate funds for football. Now folks should start to notice this pattern in Knoxville if something is not done soon. I can tell many have abandon this website and I cant blame them. I'm hoping Worley can save the SC game next week.

mikkim writes:

in response to flatrock:

-Alabama also played with their best QB, best WR, best LBer and best DB;

-Tennessee played without their best QB, best WR, best LB and best DB.

Build from the positives of the first half- and move on. Go Vols!

Will to Win...has nothing to do with youth. Saban's second year team was almost as young as this one. He threw 14 players off a team with limited scholarships. Dooley is a great interim coach and filled a real need. If we want a top tier program...we will have to go elsewhere to get a big boy football coach who comes from a major conference with a winning record. A WINNING RECORD at his previous job. Hiring someone with a losing record is akin to interviewing someone who stumbles with answers and then you give him the job. The past is a pretty good indicator of the future with few exceptions. He is learning on the job only we are not Kentucky....yet. I still support him as a loyal fan but we are unprepared to win in the SEC...youth or not. No intensity...but we fought like HECK for 30 minutes.

82cat writes:

One reason and one reason only for Dooley to take the red shirt off Whorley and that is to beat SC pure and simple.

Dooley is a smart man he knows 7-5 will be seen as a huge improvement whether it really is our not it will be perceived that way.

At first I was against it but after thinking about it----- why not? It is obvious Simms is not an SEC QB (no knock on a good tough kid thrown in against the best but he is not an SEC QB) and I'm not getting any younger.

This is it no more excuses for SC game they have lost their QB and their all SEC TB we are playing them at home and----------------------
TO QUOTE DOOLEY:

WE HAVE GOTTEN OUR BATTLE SCARS
WE HAVE WATERED THE BAMBOO
WE HAVE DEALT WITH THE GERMANS

I will say right now I am mad as hell and sick of this mess and I hope a lot of Tennessee fans are also because the day you don't have fans angry over a a bad to mediocre football team you then have real problems. If you think angry fans are bad well try apathetic fans then you have real problems!!

sorry about the rant

Play Whorley win a game now whatever it takes!!

hueypilot writes:

in response to flatrock:

-Alabama also played with their best QB, best WR, best LBer and best DB;

-Tennessee played without their best QB, best WR, best LB and best DB.

Build from the positives of the first half- and move on. Go Vols!

I'm the eternal optomist but I'm straining hard to find the "positives" in all of this.

oldster writes:

This group lacks character. We got a preview of it the summer before last when 8 of them ganged up on one skinny guy in a bar fight. We should not be surprised when people like that quit when things go against them.
...

oldster writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Quit insulting girls.

UTKin1992 writes:

Wins generates excitement, elevate a program and cure all ills. The hole were in is not insurmountable and coaching must begin to overcome the youth and inexperience excuse.

oldster writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Too many of us were unwilling to give Fulmer's new offense the two years that it would have taken to work. Remember Tommy Tuberville had same issue. Remember UT switching to T from single wing?

oldster writes:

in response to bamavolfan:

If I stand behind them in the 2nd half, I am going to get run over.

oldster writes:

in response to mikkim:

Gene Chizik

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

During the pregame show a caller asked Tim Priest (our radio color analyst) why our DB's don't play up close on the line of scrimmage more. He said it's probably because the coaches are afraid the receiver will juke a move and run by our corners and we don't have any fast enough to keep up with anybody. First drive second half, Teague got burned...Still, I would have liked to see what Bray could have done with them. Simms is a great kid, but he just can not get it done at this level, Worley must be the man next week against SC ...Dooley having to start ANOTHER true freshman QB in the middle of ANOTHER season...man, all these freshmen. I have never seen the roster this depleted in all the years I've followed UT.

TarheelVol writes:

Start Worley against South Carolina. Bring the orange and black back. And
get this season back on track. Arkansas will kill us but we can still finish 7-5.
Add a win in a toilet bowl and we're 8-5. I'll take it.

majorsistheman writes:

tennessee is not getting a product in line with the price being paid. the contrast between 1st and 2nd half performance indicates that the staff has no skill in adjusting to changes in gameplans by opposing as the game unfolds.

VolTitan writes:

This is for all the so called Vol bandwagon fans, that have no clue about playing football just watching it!!! This is from ESPN and it hits the nail on the head for me, just gonna take time and Dooley is the man!!! (Tennessee has fight, but not the manpower: For two quarters, Tennessee stood toe-to-toe with one of the mammoths of college football. We saw the most fight out of Tennessee since wide receiver Justin Hunter went down in the Florida game. Then, Alabama got its second wind and the game was over before the fourth quarter even began. But when you're without four key components to your team and you have depth issues across the board, a loss like that isn't a shock. Tennessee just doesn't have enough dogs for a fight like that. There is a lot of good, young talent at Tennessee, but most of it is starting. Behind it, there isn't much, thanks to poor recruiting before coach Derek Dooley got there. He's having to play a bunch of youngsters out there and that can trigger ugly outcomes in this league. If you look at special teams, the Vols can't get their best athletes out there because the coaches don't want wear them out after defensive series. This team is still a year away from being close to where Dooley wants it and that should have been expected. It was always a three-year plan with him and he's working in the right direction.)

give_him_6 writes:

in response to mikkim:

LoL..what a great analogy..NOT!! That's like putting a middelweight in the ring with a heavyweight and thinking he can win. The smaller guy has the will to win, but not the size or strength. It's the same thing with our team. They have the will to win and can play with anyone for a half. But the longer the game goes on, without the strength and the BACKUPS to play, the game slowly ceases to be competetive. We will get there. Saban had much better depth when he took over, a luxury that Dooley didn't. It just takes time. And if you are a TRUE fan you will see that. The last thing we need is to be like Notre Dame and be changing coaches every 3-5 years. It just doesn't work. Time build strong teams plain and simple.

LADAWG writes:

in response to give_him_6:

Saban did not have more depth than TN when he took over. They lost to a 1aa team his first year. He coached up what he had, put his system in, and recruited well his first year. Dooley had a talent, and he had a good first class. He just doesn't have what t takes. You can't make excuses for him. Vols will not win under dd. you may lose to ky and vandy.

VolTitan writes:

I was just wondering, do coaches start out at the top of their game or do they have to start somewhere?? Who was Les Miles, Nick Saban, Urban Myer, Tom Osborne, Bear Bryant ect the list goes on and on.. But who were these guys before they got respect and the right school?? I am not saying that Dooley is among them he might be, might not but it is way too early to tell at this point, that is why it is called rebuilding a program!! You know Bama was doing the same thing all through the 90's and losing a lot of games but where are they now?? The Vols are not one of the top 10 all time winning programs in college football because they just stumbled up on it LOL.. Once again if you don't understand how bad the program was when Dooley took over, do us a favor go play Xbox or something and let the Fans who understand it takes time to rebuild post something that makes sense!!!..

gmshooter writes:

I dont think changing head coaches is the answer .Thats part of the reason were in this mess in the first place ,but if we did how bout giving Jeff Fisher a call..

dvol writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

The answer to this problem is very simple. Fire Dooley and Wicox and the rest of the staff. Hire Mike Leach as H.C. and O.C. and Mike Stoops as D.C. and for goodness sakes shell out the money and hire a Special Teams coach.

arkyvol writes:

correct me if i'm wrong, but hammy never hired a coach anybody else wanted, did he?

VolGrad writes:

Lots of idiots posting here recently. Lots of passion and very little common sense. Immune to instruction and intolerant of logic.

If someone tries to put things in the proper context, you say we're just making excuses. Well, I could tell you that you have 1 hour to mow 3 acres. Then it comes up a freaking thunderstorm in the middle of it all. It takes you 5 hours as a result. I refuse to pay you because you took more than 3 hours. "But it rained," you say. "And you're just making excuses," I'd say.

How idiotic. Excuses are unjustified. Explanations are not. No doubt many have legitimate excuses and perservere nonetheles. But when they chop off your arm, a leg and both eyes, that makes it a little tough to compete against Mr. Atlas.

volsindallas writes:

in response to flatrock:

-Alabama also played with their best QB, best WR, best LBer and best DB;

-Tennessee played without their best QB, best WR, best LB and best DB.

Build from the positives of the first half- and move on. Go Vols!

Great post...Flatrock. I couldn't agree with you more. Most of our readers are so shortsided when looking at the VOLS. I believe next year we will see a really competitive team.
GO VOLS

Halls3 writes:

in response to VolTitan:

Nice try man. I read that too & everyone who reads the ESPN SEC Blog knows Chris Low is a homer for his Vols. Even I can see that. The problem is at half Bama made adjustments & UT did not. I said going into half there's no way UT doesn't get the doors blown off them before the 3rd quarter is over & I was right. Dooley can't make adjustments right now. Maybe he will get better but right now I'm still not sold on him as UT's coach. Maybe eventually he will prove me wrong.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

I was so saddened by the game that I basically spent the day in bed. I hate to see the Vols get pounded like this, and have a slaughter like the LSU game followed by a behind-the-woodshed whipping like the Bama game. I hate to have to decide whether the 16 more minutes of possession time LSU had was a worse stat than not getting any first downs in the second half against 'Bama.

Then I'll watch the DD show, and I'll see the Head Coach just dying inside, but facing up to what he's got, and moving on. Now that the SEC is the toughest league in the country, I don't know how long it's going to take to get back on top, but I think Coach Dooley and his coaches are the guys to take us there.

I'm just going to have to waste a few more days in bed along the way.

cincykid writes:

in response to gmshooter:

Yeah, just what UT needs, another USC guy to bail after a year for another gig.

Dooley keeps talking about toughness. How about NOT playing 8 home games a year and rarely leaving the state.

Open the season at Boise State and stay in a roach infested Motel 6. Train like Rocky did in the movies - no frills. But noooooo, UT has to feed the pig (the Athletic Dept. budget and debt service) so they're going to stay at 8 home games
and have out of conference cupcakes for the cash and the "w"

wbsmd1 writes:

in response to VolTitan:

First of all you can not be a true UT fan and pull for the Titans against Manning. Bray is at UT because of Manning.Second UT will not improve till recruiting again is upgraded to top 5 classes like Bama and like UT for much of the 90s. The difference seen in the game reflects superior size and speed of numerous highly recruited players.This year's record is not nearly as important as recruiting players out of the ESPN 150. Players like Logan Young who is too slow to play against the best of the SEC have been recruited recently this must stop now. If Dooley can not land a running back again in this class with a dozen others in the top 150 he should be fired before spring practice.

rbut5252#220065 writes:

"Hey flatrock you are absolutely right.... I appreciate you looking up those great facts.... I was wrong and I apologize.... Can you just tell me how old I'll be when we get back in the top 25? I'm 48 now.... I've loved the Vols since I first started watching them on a black and white tv that my parents had.... Also while your figuring... Can you tell me and the rest of the loyal tennessee fans out there what we ever did to deserve this?"

What did we do to deserve this? Someone had the stupid midea to fire Phillip Fulmer.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to rbut5252#220065:

Then the stupid idea to hire Kiffin that dumped the best qb in the country Mr Boyd at Clemson..I think 2-6 more years someone will get it right

VolMan126 writes:

in response to rbut5252#220065:

I will tell you what we done...we let MH fire the CPF. I saw everyone talking about Saban...so lets compare. Fulmer 152-52 2 sec titles 1 nc title. 4 sec east titles. Loyal TENNESSEE MAN!
Saban 142-53 1990 Teledo 9-2 Hired in 91 at Mich State 5 years 34-24-1 LSU 48-16 1 NC 2 sec titles. Alabama 51-11 1 NC titles. We are paying for what we let them do to a TRUE VOL! PEOPLE like some of the ones that post on here...never satisfied. Saban may be smarted that all of them because when things change he will be gone at alabama. The NC curse will hit them soon. What I mean is these kids want it all and want it now..just like some of you. They will look at the roster at alabama and say i want to play now and see no way to do it with everyone infront of me and go somewhere else. It happened to Saban at Lsu it happened to us at Tennessee. It has happened at Ohio state.Has happened at FL. When it does he will leave bama for better ground. OUR GUY WAS LOYAL TO US AND TRIED TO TURN IT AROUND...WE DROPPED HIM FAST! NOW WHAT! GO VOLS!

VolMan126 writes:

in response to VolMan126:

Those numbers do not reflect this years wins for Saban.

JWilly writes:

For everyone wanting Bray back...I don't remember Bray getting the team across the goal line against Georgia's defense. The dawg defense looks like romper room compared to LSU's and Bama's. Give Simms at least a little credit for playing against the big boys.

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to flatrock:

-Alabama also played with their best QB, best WR, best LBer and best DB;

-Tennessee played without their best QB, best WR, best LB and best DB.

Build from the positives of the first half- and move on. Go Vols!

Well said.....People tend to forget the youth on our team. We are on our way back up. Will just take a little while longer.

Cobb_Webb_Attack writes:

I was at the game last night, wearing all orange, and let me tell y'all... Alabama fans went through all the stages of grief in the first half: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. They were terrified that the Big Orange might show them up in their own house.

It was perfectly clear what happened in the second half: the Vols are a young team that had been coached all week to sell out to stop the run and make AJ McCarron beat them. When the Tide adjusted, their veterans made plays and the Big Orange young'uns didn't.

I am as frustrated as the rest of y'all with the rebuilding process, and Derek Dooley may yet turn out to be Mike Shula in disguise... but I can't fault a young team missing its best QB, WR, LB, and SS for fading in the second half against the #1 or #2 team in the country after giving them all they could handle in the first.

Also, to the Big Orange fans who left early in the third quarter: have some pride! I came all the way from DC, and I stayed until the bitter end, talking trash with 'Bama fans, and having a fantastic time.

VolMan126 writes:

in response to dvol:

ITS FOLKS LIKE YOU THAT GOT US IN THIS MESS TO START WITH! FOR GODS SAKE SHUT UP!GO VOLS!

VolTitan writes:

in response to wbsmd1:

I can't be a real UT fan because I pull for my (home state team) and not Manning and that means I am not all Vol LOL that is pretty funny... I mean really that is rich man, I will tell ole Mr.Manning that next time I talk to him, he will get a good kick out that hehehehe!!! But I have been all Tennessee Vol since the days of the "Silva Streak" but I am sure you already know who that is right?? UT will be fine and the coaching staff will be fine, it takes time to rebuild a program.. But it will come you just got to have faith, along with some really good recruits also LOL..

posivol writes:

in response to oldster:

2 years and tajh boyd at qb,we would have won the division this year.but thats not what the fans wanted.sold our soul to the devil and many more years of heil to follow....sad!

born2ride writes:

We lose to South Carolina and the Hogs.

We beat MTSU and UK.

Vandy is a toss up.

Finish 6-6 or 5-7

No improvement.

Madkels writes:

in response to bigfreeze:

Cigar, anyone? five years in a row. See you next year in Saban-Neyland Stadium.

Another troll who has so little self esteem that he has to come on here to feel good about himself. I'll bet the farm that you are as bad with the ladies too.

chevy59tom writes:

I have been going to Bryant-Denny since 1969, when I was 14. In section N-4 there was ONE Tennessee fan who ruined the entire game for everyone in that section. He shot birds, taunted women and children and men and had the police on him because he was getting ready to start a riot. He was wearing jersey number 7, a white won with a white T hat. He never congratulated us, but he did stay until the end of the game, embarrassed and depressed. I paid a lot for my ticket, but had I known that jerk had been there, I would have watched it on TV. This sort of stuff didn't happen at Penn State, it just shows the kind of difference in class the fans of UT are vs. those of other schools who have dignity. In 1980 at Neyland, I just missed being hit by a JD bottle in the endzone. The score, Alabama 28 TN 0. When TN was winning in the 90s, we gave them there due. The rivalry is still a good one, but sadly, please leave fans like number 7 home in Ridgetop or Mt. Juliet.

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Your not a Loyal fan cause a Loyal fan means they stay Loyal to the progeam and coach no matter what.and you will be 50 or 51

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

People abondon this site cause all the negative comments not cause UTS record