Vols picked 11th in SEC basketball

The Tennessee men's basketball team has been picked to finish 11th in the SEC's preseason media poll released Monday.

Kentucky was chosen by select media to win the league.

UT did not place any players on the preseason All-SEC first or second team.

Points were compiled on a 12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis. Each media member also voted for a five-player All-SEC Team.

Preseason Media Poll Pts

LSU 91

Auburn 80

Tennessee 71

South Carolina 57

First-place votes in parentheses

First Team All-SEC

JaMychal Green, Alabama – F, 6-8, 228, Sr., Montgomery, Ala.

Terrence Jones, Kentucky – F, 6-9, 252, So., Portland, Ore.

Dee Bost, Mississippi State – G, 6-2, 176, Sr. , Concord, N.C.

John Jenkins, Vanderbilt – G, 6-4, 220, Jr., Hendersonville, Tenn.

Jeffery Taylor, Vanderbilt – G/F, 6-7, 225, Sr., Norrkoping, Sweden

Second Team All-SEC

Anthony Davis, Kentucky – F, 6-10, 220, Fr., Chicago, Ill.

Doron Lamb, Kentucky – G, 6-4, 210, So., Queens, N.Y.

Darius Miller, Kentucky – G, 6-8, 235, Sr., Maysville, Ky.

Kenny Boynton, Florida – G, 6-2, 189, Jr., Pompano Beach, Fla.

Erving Walker, Florida – G, 5-8, 177, Sr., Brooklyn, N.Y.

Festus Ezeli, Vanderbilt – C, 6-11, 255, Sr., Benin City, Nigeria

SEC Player of the Year: Terrence Jones, Kentucky

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

gluesniffer writes:

no expectations. awesome.

NCVOL09 writes:

I'm not saying we are going to finish in the top half of the SEC, but 11th? I really hope and believe we can show the media up on this one. There are still 5 Rivals 4 star talents (not saying that means much) that I don't think have shown what they can do. CCM will show us all something this year and personally I am offended by the SEC media if they truly rank this team behind the likes of Ole Miss, Auburn, and LSU.

westknoxrepub writes:

It's going to be a long season, and there's nothing on the recruiting trail to suggest it's going to get better.

D60 writes:

Sounds about right,disaster just like FB team at least we have the Lady Vols

westknoxrepub writes:

This is what happens when you go the bargain basement route Hamilton liked to go. Every once in a while you get a great deal (Pearl) but more often than not you get a dud. At least with Dooley you can cite circumstances, and a number of turn downs. Still when you're less than a month away from fall signing and you've got ONE recruit who varies between 3 stars and 0 stars depending on the service, it's a bad sign.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

I said it's great...to be...a Tennessee Vol. I said it's great...to be...a Tennessee Vol.

born2ride writes:

This is what happens when you hire a MO Valley coach who brings in a bunch of recruits nobody has ever heard of. Without Bruce Pearl UT Basketball is dead.

Ironcity writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Glad to see you already gave up on our coach who has coached all of zero games. I think we are better then Auburn but it could be tough year. We have a lot of unknowns. By the way if it was only about money, UT would have paid to get a big time coach. No big time coach was going to come to UT in the situation we were in. I hope Martin does a good job but I know I will at least let him coach before I judge him.

PS Coach Pearls first year we sign one kid from from Pearls old school and I think he was a star.

ZacharyUTK writes:

Looks like we're gonna have to suprise some folks.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I'll judge him by his recruits (or lack thereof) for next year. We're not in serious contention for anyones. I also don't buy the "no coach will come" argument, I don't think there was anyone who really thought we were going to get severe penalties over a BBQ sandwhich.

FearlessFreep writes:

I'm not sure what coach would come to Tennessee if they read the idiocy posted here by the half-wit segment of UT's fan base.

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

11th is too high.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

No westie, this is Bruce Pearl's doing. He put the program in peril with his stupid actions and he left the program with poor depth.

Hamilton's mistake was not firing Pearl sooner.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Hamilton's mistake was not firing Pearl sooner.

So it's Bruce Pearl's fault Martin's recruiting class for 2012-2013 is non existant?

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Ban Meridiot!

1vavolfan writes:

South Carolina must be terrible

carbonzip writes:

How many games has this team lost? The returning players are way different than they were last year and coaching is going to be better. They'll easily end higher than 11th.

PHAT_VOL writes:

We will finish in the middle of the SEC.

EmbarrassedVolFromTampa (Inactive) writes:

I am afraid we are witnessing the 2nd unfolding of the practice of panic hiring at Tennessee. As with Coach Dooley, the measure of a coach in the SEC is not character and our feelings as to his likeability, but how he stacks up against the competition.

In both instances, football and basketball, we have been left wanting.

kevin151 writes:

Should be 12th

billwall writes:

One place higher than our football team.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to EmbarrassedVolFromTampa:

In both instances, football and basketball, we have been left wanting.

Martin wasn't a Panic Hire. . .there was plenty of time. Hamilton wanted his legacy to be that he had an eye to discover unknown coaches as is evidenced by every one of his hires (Pearl, Kiffen, Dooley, Martin, Raleigh, Winterbottom), only two really worked. Dooley was a panic hire, but he passed over better candidates (Sumlin) to hire him.

samvol writes:

Win or lose, I'm a fan.

GOVols.

GoZO...

born2ride writes:

At least we may have another 6-6 football season and a trip to the Music City Bowl to look forward to.

UTKin1992 writes:

Wow! That completely shocked me. 11th? At first I thought the article meant 11th in the country!

Pearls lack of integrity and Hamilton - well Hamilton's record speaks for itself - really, really put UTK athletics in the hole. Have I mentioned lately how much I loathe Mike Hamilton?

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

we are better than auburn, auburn's intramural basketball teams are better than their scholarship one, we don't need to stoop that low, I would have put us somewhere around georgia, 7th or 8th, but I have no expectations just like this media pole. Coach Zo is gonna have to prove himself or he'll be gone in 2014

arkyvol writes:

sigh. vol b.ball is right back where it was when a fellow named bruce showed up. hard to believe, but chances are that a coach of his ability will never head the vol program again in my lifetime (i'm 67). i'm beginning to believe that the program is under some supernatural curse.

ewhite#207432 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Unless UT can find a quarterback quick, I don't think there will be 6 wins.

ewhite#207432 writes:

I am hoping for a winning record and a NIT bid..that will be as good as it can get this year. We are going to miss Pearl, but he did bring this on himself. Not sure we should have fired him though. A wounded Pearl may be better than what we have. The program could take a huge step back.

SummittsCourt writes:

I believe the Vols are going to surprise some teams this year and be better than most think.

We'll see...

Ironcity writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

You must of really thought Pearl was a loser since he had one two star recruit his first year. I to want to see some top players coming to UT. I wish the PG from Memphis could have gotten in school but he didn't. There was no one left for UT to recruit last year so for you to judge him on that is plain foolish. As for this year I will judge him when the year is up. One last point if you don't think that UT's issues wasn't a problem then your a fool. I know a parent of a top twenty five kid in Tennessee that told me straight up it was a huge issue. Needless to say we didn't make it in his top 5. If this was NC or Mich St with a history of success then maybe a top coach would come and take a chance but this is still a football school first.

Ironcity writes:

This article really brought out the trolls didn't it.

underthehill writes:

in response to EmbarrassedVolFromTampa:

In both instances, football and basketball, we have been left wanting.

Not so fast..in the case of basketball and football we gave those coaches a contract..judge them after the contract expires and no sooner..UT and the coaches knew it was not going to be easy and that is why they gave them the time..I have no doubt it is in the best interest of UT to honor those contracts..then make a reasonable judgement....

Chris4Vols22 writes:

We're not going to be spectacular, but I'd be shocked if we finished next-to-last. Auburn, LSU, and South Carolina don't have a chance.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

You must not be keeping up with recruiting.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to kevin151:

Should be 12th

You're going to be disappointed that we won't finish as low as you're hoping.

TKO writes:

Three years and counting.

Pompey writes:

in response to D60:

Sounds about right,disaster just like FB team at least we have the Lady Vols

BooooHoooo.......poor baby

Pompey writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

.....how can you be skeptical, these experts have a accuracy rate half that of the weather man......

volfanz writes:

Go Lady Vols, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball!!!! Thank God I have at least the women to cheer me up this year.....Come on Mens Teams,......You gotta kick it up a few gears...what a depressing year this is turning out to be.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

You must not be keeping up with recruiting.

You mean the one committment we have from a zero to three star recruit? Don't count visits, Peterson got alot of visits from some good players that went elsewhere.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to Ironcity:

This article really brought out the trolls didn't it.

You got that right.

I'm glad to see they don't think much of us. I'm sure Coach Martin will use that in the proper way.

Get ready to be surprised, folks. Cuonzo Ball is here and I think you're gonna like it. Even those on this board who are running it down.

underthehill writes:

It takes less time to develop a competitive basketball team than football..only takes a few key players..there are some very talented veterans on this team that have not reached their potential....this is a perfect situation for Martin..Tennessee will finish much higher than 11 and be an interesting team to watch...

mountainbrook writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

The worst day as a Vol is better than any day as a Vandy Grad.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Ironcity:

This article really brought out the trolls didn't it.

They're like Tribbles. Feed them and they replicate.

volfan2002 writes:

This is based on the fact that we only return one starter this season. We'll find out real quick if Hall can play at a high level inside. How good is Jordan McRae? I think were a lot better than 11th and we'll find out real soon.

SandySpringsVol writes:

Wow, the same idiots who think they're experts in football are now experts in basketball too.

Often wrong -- never uncertain.

TruVol writes:

Come on yall!!! This is year zero. You will see a little improvement in year 1.

in response to westknoxrepub:

Well, in a word, yes. When Martin was hired, the majority of top-ranked talent for the next couple of years had ALREADY been extensively contacted, schmoozed, catered to, and fawned over by all the other more-established coaches at the higher-profile schools. I have mentioned this MANY times on here, but no one seems to get the point: Unless you are Duke, UNC, UK, or one of a TINY handful of other programs, you don't call up a 5-star and say, "Hi, I'm Cuonzo Martin, the new UT basketball coach. Would you like to come play for me next year?" No, you go into the areas that are known for producing top-shelf talent and say to the coaches and administrators there, "Hi, I'm Cuonzo Martin, the new coach at UT. I'm going to be on the lookout for talent in your area. If you have any rising young stars you know of, give me a call." Or words to that effect.

You have to prepare the ground; you have to sow the seeds; you do NOT just walk in and pluck all the ripe, juicy fruit you see on the tree at that time. One way you do that is to do the best job you can with the talent you have on hand. When the national media start to notice that your team has exceeded expectations, then when you start to contact the kids directly, they know who they are talking to. Unless you also have a well-developed network of associates who are willing to offer more than the NCAA allows to get guys to forget who else they may have promised, that is the ONLY way it can be done. Peterson got Lofton because UK and Louisville didn't want him; same deal with Pearl and Hopson. Pearl had already shown he could win at UT before he ever had a chance at a guy like Harris. With whatever chain of contacts Pearl had built broken with his fall, Martin had to start from scratch, building only on his own contacts, and most of those were oriented toward steering kids to him at Mo. St. It was Pearl's breaking of the chain that is to blame, not Martin for not knitting it all back together over night.

For all that, the next class isn't signed yet--ANYWHERE. There is time for Martin to get some better players, though not many, because there won't be a lot of guys leaving after this season. IF he exceeds expectations--which he may, since they are so low--some better players will listen to him. IF he is the right guy, in another year or two after that, the talent may take a BIG jump. There is no other outcome that was ever GUARANTEED to work any better or faster than that. That was, again, pretty much how Pearl was doing it.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

maybe when you are 1% as good in your job (if you have one) as Hamilton was in his, then complain. Otherwise, shut up.