Lady Vols unanimous pick to win SEC basketball

The media foresees a Tennessee rerun in the SEC for the upcoming women's basketball season.

The Lady Vols were the unanimous pick to win the conference by a panel of SEC and national media members and senior forward Shekinna Stricklen was the overwhelming choice as preseason player of the year. Both choices replicate the conference finish from last season.

Tennessee, which has won both the conference regular-season and tournament championships the past two seasons, received 264 points, which constituted all 22 first-place votes by the panel. Georgia (228) was picked second and Kentucky (212) was third. LSU (189), Vanderbilt (172) and Florida (151) rounded out the top half of the league.

Stricklen received 16 votes from the panel as each member picked a five-player All-SEC team. Tennessee's Glory Johnson was second with three votes, followed by LSU's LaSondra Barrett (2) and Georgia's Jasmine James. The other member of the All-SEC first team was Kentucky's A'dia Mathies.

The second team consisted of Tennessee's Meighan Simmons, C'eira Ricketts and Sarah Watkins of Arkansas, Vanderbilt's Stephanie Holzer and Valencia McFarland of Ole Miss.

Team vote: Tennessee (264), Georgia (228), Kentucky (212), LSU (189), Vanderbilt (172), Florida (151), Arkansas (142), South Carolina (107), Auburn (94), Alabama (55), Mississippi State (54), Ole Miss (48).

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Theo writes:

I think POY will be a fight to the finish between Glory and Shekinna. Would think Meighan might have snuck on the first team.
She, Meighan, has been a little disrespected in my opinion particularly regarding the national teams. I look for her to channel that a bit this year and show them all what they missed.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to Theo:

I would agree about Glory and Shekinna.

With Massengale running the point that will open up more scoring opportunities for Meighan too. I look for her to have a better year than last year. I just hope Burdick and\or Harrison provide some production in the post. Losing Cain and Brewer hurt.

murrayvol writes:

Nice to get the props but SEC women's basketball ain't what it used to be.

Doesn't seem that long ago the league would have 8-10 teams in the Top 30.

Vols68 writes:

We will run RIGHT through the SEC once again! Although we can't look over LSU! Nikki Caldwell will have this team ready.

Theo writes:

in response to Vols68:

Totally agree. Nikki will have that team in the top ten within 24 months. What a dynamite recruiter.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Nice to get the props but SEC women's basketball ain't what it used to be.

Doesn't seem that long ago the league would have 8-10 teams in the Top 30.

True SEC women's basketball has declined over the last couple of years which shows what type of program we have at UT. They regularly win 30 games and either win the regular season or the tournament championship.

chuckfromwoodbury writes:

Hope we get a shot at geno imanenema. I hate that guy.

Vols68 writes:

in response to Theo:

I know! She got cut from the USA U19 team, wasn't selected for the wade trophy watch list. But its alright! She now can play in her natural 2 guard position, and will do damage!

butch31 writes:

I'd give the player of the year award to both Shekinna & Glory...Glory will be a defensive stalwart, scorer and rugged rebounder! Shekinna should have improved defense. I see Vicki going out with a bang, two years off the bench, will bring out the beast. We all know what Meighan can do on the offensive end, but what will she do on the defensive end? We need one more body, when is volleyball over? LOL

Vols68 writes:

in response to butch31:

Right on point! Vicki, Glory, And Shekinna are going to do their thing. All we need is for Meighan to play DEFENSE. I believe Massengale will make an imediate impact because she is FEARLESS, and just a TRUE PG with a good skill set. But we will see.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Agreed. This "poll" doesn't mean spit. Ignore it, ladies. Ignore it...and then go win it all.

Go Lady Vols!