Da'Rick Rogers finds his Chi with yoga, excited by Worley

Tennessee wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers (21) catches the ball for a first down in the first quarter against Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Tennessee wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers (21) catches the ball for a first down in the first quarter against Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Saturday, Oct. 22, 2011. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Da'Rick Rogers broke his three-week silence with the media after Wednesday's practice.

Later in the day, the Tennessee wide receiver was hoping to break out his yoga mat to, as he said, get in touch with his Chi.

Rogers, who has been the target of double teams from opposing secondaries since Justin Hunter went out for the season, said the idea has been simmering in his head ever since he visited North Carolina State as a junior in high school.

"They had guys, D-linemen, doing splits," Rogers said. "I was like, 'Wow, I wonder how they did that?' They said, 'Do the yoga.'

"I was like 'I've got to get into yoga one day.' This is my chance in college, so I took a yoga class."

It, perhaps, couldn't have come at a better time. If there's anyone on UT's roster that needs some stress relieved, it's Rogers.

First, the player who helped open the field and align him with plenty of one-on-one matchups, Hunter, went down with a torn ACL. A few weeks later, his quarterback and good friend, Tyler Bray, went out with a broken thumb.

"After Tyler's injury, I was like 'Are you kidding me? Another one? Can't be,' " Rogers said. "We got practice the day after the game so you really got to wash it off. You mourn about it the one day and then it's a new slate, new game."

Rogers said he snapped out of the funk quickly, even if his body language during losses to No. 1 LSU and No. 2 Alabama, at times, indicated otherwise. He said he's working on it, and his goal is to remain even-keeled when the Vols (3-4, 0-4 SEC) take on No. 14 South Carolina (6-1, 4-1) at Neyland Stadium on (TV: ESPN2, 7:15 p.m.).

"Good and bad things are going to happen, you've just got to go with the flow of the game," Rogers said. "You've got to keep your emotions under control."

One of the more loquacious UT players, Rogers said it was his heavy second-session class load, not frustration with his role and the direction of UT's offense, that prompted him to keep quiet. The vow of silence coincided during a stretch when coaches raved about his positive attitude and strong performance in practice despite a lack of production from his fellow wide receivers.

"Just making sure we've got everything straight in house before I came out and said too many comments on anything." said Rogers, who has 10 catches for 166 yards in the past three games. "Now we're working on getting (quarterback Justin) Worley right for the game this Saturday."

Worley's emergence has admittedly reinvigorated Rogers. He called the true freshman quarterback a "gunslinger" and said he's tried to relax Worley by reminding him that he was recently named Gatorade's National Football Player of the Year.

Not everyone can fall back on yoga to ease the stress.

"It just gives you (that feeling of) 'Oh my goodness, I got this young guy in here, he's a freshman, I want to get open for him and I know he can make the throws,'" Rogers said. "It really just makes you work that much harder."

Medical Update: For the second consecutive day, linebacker Curt Maggitt (calf) wore a red, non-contact jersey at Wednesday's practice. Running back/return man Devrin Young, who wore a red jersey Tuesday, was at full strength.

Coach Derek Dooley said linebacker Herman Lathers, who has yet to play this season because of a broken ankle, is "week to week."

"About two weeks ago we were a little disappointed he wasn't progressing, and last week he made a big jump," Dooley said. "A lot more cutting, and we kind of discuss it every week, so I'll get a little better bead on it after tomorrow."

Moving On: Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said Worley's promotion has been difficult for senior quarterback Matt Simms, who was ineffective in his starts against LSU and Alabama.

Simms was demoted in similar fashion last season in favor of Bray.

"I think it's been hard on Matt. I think it's been hard on everybody because we want so bad for Matt to have a lot of success when he's on the field," Chaney said. "He's a senior, he's a good young man and he's struggling with his demotion right now.

"All in all, he's got so much character to him, he'll be just fine."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Yoga gives one piece of mind and mental confidence. The psyical benefites are increased flexability and strenght. DaRick and the rest of the team will benefit greatly from Worley. And us fans too.

CroKev writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

I guess it doesn't help one's spelling however...

Bigger_Al writes:

If Da'Rick can learn to levitate, that will help him catch high passes, and will also be much easier on the knees.

born2ride writes:

Da'Rick Rogers is one of the few bright spots in this dismal year. He is such a strong receiver and plays hard. If yoga helps him that is great.

I had my doubts about Da'Rick and thought he was another Nu'Keese after getting arrested in a bar fight. We would be in bad shape without him especially after losing Hunter.

iowavol writes:

looking forward to seeing Worley, don't expect too much since his first few passes will more than likely be a mile high (so much adrenaline for a 17 year old). Understand Matt would be real disappointed. Kid comes off the bench, took on the two toughest defenses and gets demoted because (in his mind) he didn't beat them. Reality is he hasn't learned how to read the defense and not stare down his primary receiver. Might was well have a neon sign on his helmet pointing toward where he is going to throw the ball. However, his play calling and redirecting on running plays will be missed - noticeable difference there.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Da'Rick excited by Worley.....Witchy excited by sheep...

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to ghost_of_which_doctor:

Da'Rick excited by Worley.....Witchy excited by sheep...

Witch Doctor say close..."Sleep". Witch Doctors get and go has got up and went.
Bones never lie.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to iowavol:

"don't expect too much since his first few passes will more than likely be a mile high (so much adrenaline for a 17 year old)."

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Chaney took advantage of that very thing (combined with EVERYBODY thinking run first) by calling a play-action pass for as far as he can throw it on the first play?

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say close..."Sleep". Witch Doctors get and go has got up and went.
Bones never lie.

Yeah, same here...funny how that works.

givehim6 writes:

Do not know why KNS does this but thay took the first few post off. I was second to post on this about 4-5 hrs ago anyway I said, If this helps maybe the Vols will join Da'Rick. And can get a mat for Smocky, might help his knee.

givehim6 writes:

smoky sorry

vol4good#206163 writes:

in response to CroKev:

I guess it doesn't help one's spelling however...

In My opinion "your an A Hole" The last thing we need is the SPELLING police! STFU! Go back to the High school English class you teach and just Chill! Who gives a flying F if that guy spells well! You make me want to beat the hell out of my High School English Teacher! I wouldnt, but You make me want too!

CoverOrange writes:

Vol4good needs to take that class. That or anger management 101. Is that in the Business school or Liberal Arts? Just a joke dude.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

Dude. You definitely need Yoga...or horse tranquilizers or something. Maybe ease off the 'roids a bit.

tvol71 writes:

Feel bad for Simms, he worked hard and gets his second chance, but it is against two of the best defenses in the nation. He probably would have done better against a mediocre defense, but clearly he is not the passer that Bray is. I hope he gets to do something he is happy with and does well in the future.

kyletrktr writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

Dude, you need some yoga... and a little herb wouldn't hurt either.. haha just playin with ya

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

Let Worley throw,
to the Guru, go,
down the field, with the
Gamecocks in tow.
"Give me six!" said yoga man,
a TD from Justin's hand,
Stevie said, "why he's from
South Carolina land!"
And for the trolls, who claim UT,
mere little gnomes, who cannot see
a victory, led by players, fans, and Coach D.

allvol8 writes:

in response to decades_vol:

Let Worley throw,
to the Guru, go,
down the field, with the
Gamecocks in tow.
"Give me six!" said yoga man,
a TD from Justin's hand,
Stevie said, "why he's from
South Carolina land!"
And for the trolls, who claim UT,
mere little gnomes, who cannot see
a victory, led by players, fans, and Coach D.

A+!

BruisedOrange writes:

Don't know what's the matter with me tonight...

I started to post a smart-a comment that maybe Rogers' yoga-induced flexibility will make it easier for him to pick the ball up off the ground after he's dropped yet another pass.

No call for comments like that. The kid doesn't deserve it.

Glad I caught myself.

Munsterlander writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

_Yore_ an a h...

NYvolFan writes:

in response to CroKev:

I guess it doesn't help one's spelling however...

Funny...was thinking the same...

NYvolFan writes:

in response to tvol71:

He wants to Coach...sounds like a good plan...and the Mannings all agree...best of luck Matt!

EmbarrassedVolFromTampa (Inactive) writes:

We might as well go with Yogi. We've already got Boo Boo for a head coach.

orangeJACKET writes:

well i gotta agree. look what yoda did for luke. just remember da'rick "Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Vol craves not these things."

orangeJACKET writes:

“Strong is Spurrier. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.”

Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free writes:

in response to EmbarrassedVolFromTampa:

We might as well go with Yogi. We've already got Boo Boo for a head coach.

That's hilarious!

Thanks.

cloudodust writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

That's hilarious!

Thanks.

If that was hilarious, you'd love Knock-Knock jokes...

barefoot43 writes:

in response to EmbarrassedVolFromTampa:

We might as well go with Yogi. We've already got Boo Boo for a head coach.

Idiot

barefoot43 writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

That's hilarious!

Thanks.

Idiot ditto

barefoot43 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Idiot again

Biggie writes:

Sims was the victim of two of the best defenses in the country. So has Darick the last two games. Darick will get his chance to shine the rest of the year but ol Matt will not. That's the breaks.I still think Sims was involved in one of those "take 'em all or get none" deals. They really wanted his brother but he screwed us at the last minute.

jobrando#216494 writes:

I hope Clooney does not break his thumb..Worley is going aganst a bunch of tough roosters. A great game for a welcome to the SEC.

VolBlitz writes:

I feel bad for Simms but Worley does bring us down trodden fans a spark of optimism. Don't know if we'll beat the ol'ball coach but I'm looking forward to the game.

This site needs an "Ignore" button bad!!!

VOODOOley-2011 (Inactive) writes:

Finds his what? Chi Omega?

TennesseeFab5 writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

Chill Out Dude! Steroids maybe.....

brokendownoldvol writes:

Surely, Worley will be able to get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

mahabrando writes:

in response to CroKev:

I guess it doesn't help one's spelling however...

bwuhahahah!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Surely, Worley will be able to get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

He will......and quit calling me Shirley

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

Ready for the facts folks? These are the rushing stats this season for SC defense.

Auburn- 246
East Carolina -85
Georgia- 188
Vandy - 4
Navy- 274
Kentucky- 74
Miss State-131

= SUSPECT RUSH DEFENSE

We need a big game from Lane and Poole. Carolina has 74 less rushing yards allowed than we do, and we dont have to stop Lattimore this weekend.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

Coaching would be good, as long as it is not a QB Coach!

Skwvols32 writes:

in response to CroKev:

I guess it doesn't help one's spelling however...

Dude, that's Hilarious........Bahahahahaha

VOLPhan writes:

in response to EmbarrassedVolFromTampa:

We might as well go with Yogi. We've already got Boo Boo for a head coach.

Come up with that all on your own, did ya???

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

That's hilarious!

Thanks.

Witch Doctor say of course you thought it was since you wrote it....geez. Nothing new from the sale ole KNS..
Bones never lie.

SouthPaVol writes:

I appreciate Rogers taking what I believe to be a "sound" approach, 'if you can't say something positive, keep silent.' Matt made a good throw in the Georgia game on the 4th and long, but other than that, in my opinion his other throws have been suspect. I think Rogers is glad to see Justin get his shot this week; I look forward to it. Worley threw a ton of TDs in high school (64 his senior year) with a 73% completion rate. He'll get a TD pass this week, even against the #1 pass defense in the nation. When he does get a TD pass on Saturday, hope he acts like he's been there before.

TheSmokyMountainThatRides writes:

in response to orangeJACKET:

"Yes. A Volunteer's strength flows from the SEC. But beware the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side of the SEC are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

tennrich1 writes:

in response to vol4good#206163:

I'm going to assume this way a lousy attempt at humor and move on....

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to IB4UT:

I will say you kept me at the edge of my seat...

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to IB4UT:

Whoa!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

tturley#297658 writes:

As an athlete, I used to look down on yoga as just stretching exercises, but took some Vinyasa classes, where there is a lot of up/down and Warrior poses, and it kicked my butt. If I were Dooley, I would get the whole team in a yoga class once a week. Actually, the mat exercises used at UGA and FSU are very similar to yoga.