Da'Rick Rogers says yoga may be answer

Da'Rick Rogers broke his three-week silence with the media after Wednesday's practice.

Later today, the Tennessee wide receiver might just break out his yoga mat to get in touch with his Chi.

Rogers, who has been the target of double teams from opposing secondaries since Justin Hunter went down with a season-ending knee injury, said the idea has been simmering in his head ever since he visited North Carolina State as a junior in high school.

"They had guys, D-linemen, doing splits," Rogers said. "I was like, 'Wow, I wonder how they did that?' They said, 'Do the yoga.'

"I was like 'I've got to get into yoga one day.' This is my chance in college, so I took a yoga class."

Rogers, one of the more loquacious players on the team, said it was his heavy second-session class load, not his frustration with the direction of UT's offense, that prompted him to keep quiet.

"We also got a new quarterback in," said Rogers, who has 10 catches for 166 yards in the past three games. "Just making sure we've got everything straight in house before I came out and said too many comments on anything. Now we're working on getting (quarterback Justin) Worley right for the game this Saturday."

For the second consecutive day, linebacker Curt Maggitt (calf) wore a red, non-contact jersey. Kick returner Devrin Young, who wore a red jersey Tuesday, was at full capacity.

Coach Derek Dooley said linebacker Herman Lathers, who has yet to play this season because of a broken ankle, is "week to week."

"About two weeks ago we were a little disappointed he wasn't progressing, and last week he made a big jump," Dooley said. "A lot more cutting, and we kind of discuss it every week, so I'll get a little better bead on it after tomorrow."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say..
OM SHIVA .....
Bones never lie.

gluesniffer writes:

and..........

givehim6 writes:

The Vols will need thing to run smooth this Sat. to get the W over the cocky hens. So do that Yogo buddy maybe some of the others will join in, get smokya mat could help that knee.

orangeblood8456 writes:

is that "yoga" bear!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Yoga and some White Rabbit from Jefferson Airplane...oh yeah!

kingofthevols writes:

I'm surprised more college programs don't adopt yoga as a key training/conditioning component.
Teams would have a lot fewer injuries.

Former Titans running back Eddie George was a notable yogini who never missed a game in his career with the Titans.

If college athletes would take up yoga on a daily basis, they would never need strength or cardio training.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Maybe the yoga will help him to stretch them arms on out. We're seeing a few too many alligator arms from Da’Rick when heading over the middle.

tovolny writes:

One good POST so far...and that was "Witch Doctors,"...this one here not good either.

jt45 writes:

Somehow I just dont see Yoga and football going together. This is worse than I thought, Is this still UT football ? This article is worse than
the usual troll post Iv'e been seeing here. It really is bad when our best players start talking like Hollywood reality show actors. I hope the article was a joke.

Volunatic writes:

in response to tovolny:

I liked SlyStone's comment, too, although I would think that some Ravi Shankar music would probably go even better than "White Rabbit".
I wonder if POTSLMB has anyone who can play sitar?

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to ghost_of_which_doctor:

not sure what games you are watching, but its hard to have aligator arms when the ball is in the dirt or 5 feet over head

Rogers is fine, the others need to step up and help him

govols1234567 writes:

I wish Tennessee would bring out the black jerseys against South Carolina for home games. Those Jerseys are pretty sweet and it seems like it would be appropriate for halloween weekends. It would be cool to mix it up from time to time

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to kingofthevols:

Teams would have a lot fewer injuries.

The human body is what it is. You cant replace strength and conditioning with yoga.

Yoga assists with the development of concentration, focus, flexibility of the joints, etc. It has NOTHING to do with adding pounds of muscle, or shedding fat, or increasing speed and quickness.

It is what it is. If Rogers wants to improve his flexibility and focus, then by all means, yoga might help him.

mikec1000000 writes:

If it will help get an SEC win, they should try yoga, belly dancing, line dancing, pole dancing, or whatever it takes!

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Rogers is fine, the others need to step up and help him

One really bad one against Florida where even the announcers said that he didn't want any part of it. Seems it was on third down? Can someone help me out? And then there one in first half against Bama. And I think he also had one against LSU. About three alligator arms that I can recall off the top of my head. That's not too bad. We all do it. You gonna get hit either way so you might as well go ahead and catch the ball.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to mikec1000000:

Witch Doctor hear the girls of the "Katch-One" are donating 10% of every guys wallet they steal to St. Marys when we win...the pots getting big!
Bones never lie.

mikec1000000 writes:

gotto love this kid's costume...

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Katch-One...spent some serious time there back in the day. Is that place still open? Sweet gals working there

spvol writes:

I love yoga...especially Dannon strawberry.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say..
OM SHIVA .....
Bones never lie.

I had no idea witch doctors were into yoga.

murrayvol writes:

in response to kingofthevols:

Teams would have a lot fewer injuries.

Really? No strength or cardio?

So if they got knocked into next week at least they wouldn't know it.

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

I liked it better when he was silent. Good gracious. Would love to hear we're getting another commit soon, it's been a while. Plenty of opportunities! Go Vols! Lets go Worley-bird!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to VolsUpsetYetAnother:

I heard Da'Rick in an inerview with media, and he has the maturity of a senior..If yoga helps him with his focus and concentration, then so be it,LOL!!

As far as commit news, there will be another one soon but don't know when he will announce..There is another poster on here that would know when, but I haven't seen him on GVX in a few days.

Smokey says you will hear Worley to Rogers for 6 a bunch of times in the coming weeks..

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

Get real. Catching a 100 passes every day would do him a lot more good. Maybe running with some ankle weights.

buxavol writes:

If yoga would help Z Rogers loosen up those 2 bricks on the end of his arms, I say sign him up!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to ghost_of_which_doctor:

yeah, buddy. classy. all working their way thru law school.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to orangeblood8456:

is that "yoga" bear!

Hey, Boo-Boo..........

hardtimecountyvol writes:

in response to orangeblood8456:

is that "yoga" bear!

Yoga Berra

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to buxavol:

Heard that!

We need to use Zack more as a decoy

TommyJack writes:

Yeah, let's bash him. He's the main problem. You meathead.

CCLC writes:

Water the bamboo, mushroom is the small room, and yoga. What is going on?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to CCLC:

Water the bamboo, mushroom is the small room, and yoga. What is going on?

Witch Doctor believe in Feng Shui too. Witch Doctors old office face wall and not door and Witch Doctor felt like people was flipping bird behind Witch Doctors back and making faces....Witch Doctor turn desk around and the funny laughter stop too.
OMMMMMMMMM OMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Bones never lie.

GONAVY writes:

in response to mikec1000000:

Ding! Ding! Ding! LOL!! Post of the day!!!

HtownVol writes:

in response to StreetBarberWillyBill:

I have to agree.
I see nothing in Zach Rogers for him to play so much. I guess he is the best run blocking WR ever. He is the worst catching WR since some kid named Austin was at UT, but I should nt compare them. Austin was not very good but he was 100 times the player Zach is.

After Arnett did so well at FU, why did we go away from him? We was in that game so it cant be because Arnett (and Dallas) does not know the playbook.

I know they have played but not near enough in my opinion.

Dooley...Can you PLEASE never start M Teague AND Z Rogers AGAIN?

Teague has been torched deep by everyone and their mom in the SEC and Zach is an automatic dropped pass.

Also, this saturday, we need a jump start BLACK JERSEYS!!!

What can it hurt? It added plenty of energy in the team last time. PLEASE DOOLEY!!

Last, my opinion is just that but how about this weekend we make USC run the ball (3rd string RB) and/or pass to ANY WR other than the "gas pumper" (quote from Kid Kiffin)

Alshon Jeffery CAN and WILL beat UT by himself if Wilcox does not make sure we contain him.

GO VOLS

asleep#212036 writes:

Settle down folks, yoga is merely advanced stretching. All the new-age tree-humping blather that spews forth from the Hollywood types would absolutely have no place in our training program. But it is a proven fact that increased range of motion and flexibility contribute to strength, athleticism, and a decrease in injuries no matter what sport one plays. Doing yoga in conjunction with (not instead of) strength and conditioning would do any athlete good. And who on here thinks our team couldn't use a little more athleticism or a little less tendency towards injury? I'm not saying they would implement such a program but to dismiss it out of hand shows a lack of understanding of basic kinesiology and how yoga fits in. But to be PC, I doubt they would call it that! How about "advanced athletic stretching" - that sounds tough enough, no? Go Vols!!!

volsgirl writes:

in response to govols1234567:

I love the black jerseys on halloween weekends too come on coach just let them........Go Vols beat the gamecock..Whooooooo

VolGrad writes:

in response to jt45:

Remember Lynn Swann and ballet?

C'mon man. Whatever works.

Go Vols!!!

in response to ghost_of_which_doctor:

You are right about Rogers' drops and short-arm jobs. I agree with Orangeblood 13 that the passes haven't all been on target since Bray went down, but Rogers has been inconsistent at best at snatching the ball out of the air. In his defense, he made two of the toughest traffic catches I have ever seen, one between two defenders on the goal line for a TD and another on a tight throw just outside the goal line while he was being hit. I think his problem is consistent concentration. He strikes me as a guy who sort of watches himself play instead of being present in every moment. Not to be TOO Zen about it, but he sometimes seems a bit like the kid in his backyard, doing his own play-by-play. If the yoga can help him with that, I'm all for it.