5 Big Things against South Carolina

5 BIG THINGS

1. As The Worley Turns: For the third time in four games, Tennessee starts a different quarterback. True freshman Justin Worley got five snaps at Alabama, which makes him UT's least-experienced starting quarterback since Brent Schaeffer and Erik Ainge in the 2004 season-opener.2. The Spurrier Effect: From 1965-2004, Tennessee won 17 of 18 games against the Gamecocks. Since Steve Spurrier became the Head Ball Chicken in 2005, however, it's even-Steven at 3-3.3. GPS "End Zone" ASAP: The Vols' offense has lost its way. Scoring is shrinking, from 12 points against Georgia to 7 against LSU to 6 against Alabama. South Carolina ranks No. 7 nationally in total defense, but Tennessee has to find a way to the end zone — and more than once.4. Paging Mr. Garcia: If the Vols need a break, South Carolina just might offer them one. The Gamecocks have given up 18 turnovers, second only to Kentucky's 19 in the SEC. Nine of them, however, were Steven Garcia interceptions. That problem has been eliminated.5. It IS How You Start: The opening of the third quarter has been a killer for Tennessee. In three SEC games, the Vols had first possession and squandered it with (A) an interception at Florida, (B) a bad-snap, short-punt combo against Georgia and (C) a three-and-out at Alabama. Oh, and the other guys answered with touchdowns in each case.

— Mike Strange

Mr_Brownstone writes:

gamecocks s*ck

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Based on the headline, I thought this was going to be a Charlie Weis article

62vol writes:

Hey Mike,
The Spurrier effect is not a valid premise.
You have discounted the coaching problems we have had during the time in question. It was not Spurrier, it was us.

Hey Mike,
We were playing the number one and number two teams in the nation in two out of the last three games. Our quarteback was demoted. Do you follow the team? Your article is more spin than pertinent factual information. There have been changes to the lineup that address several of the 3rd quarter woes. Palardy is punting, Bullard is snapping and Worley is throwing. If none of those concerns had been addressed, your comments would be more accurate.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to 62vol:

Hey Mike,
The Spurrier effect is not a valid premise.

Hey Mike,

Why is Palardy punting?

wigmeister writes:

Too much stuff to worry about. Just time to go out and K some A.

CroKev writes:

in response to ghost_of_which_doctor:

Why is Palardy punting?

Have you not watched Matt Darr this year?

My question is this: If we are so bad that we don't even get one coach's vote and thus are not ranked in the top 37 in the AP, why are we only a 3.5 underdog to the #14 team in the country? I think it's probably due to a combination of Lattimore being hurt and us having lost to several very good teams (btw, did you notice Cinci is ranked 24th with only one loss so far?). Overall, I have to think that we're not far away from returning to the big time.

RomanRoomRedux (Inactive) writes:

6. Don't go to the game and you won't have to come home disappointed.

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

in response to CroKev:

Have you not watched Matt Darr this year?

I thought Darr was doing ok but I really haven't been watching that closely. I'm more of a recruiting junkie. He was highly rated.

Thanks! I will go back and look at their numbers.

VolsFanJL91 writes:

I'd love to see Tennessee open up the playbook and get a little more aggressive. I know the 4th down calls didn't go our way last week, but they were still the right call. I don't think we're good enough to play field position with teams like Alabama. Loved the fake punt too. I'd love to see Worley take a shot down down the field on the first play. That would loosen up the coverage underneath and send a message. You know SC is going to load the box on defense and dare Worley to beat them. Its just how Spurrier roles. I say load up the offense with recievers and tell Worley to throw it to whoever lines up on a linebacker.

Go VOLS!!!

CrankE writes:

OnemorebigthingforKNS,formatting.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

6. Don't go to the game and you won't have to come home disappointed.

idiot

SummittsCourt writes:

Worley starts his career 1-0 under the lights at Neyland Stadium. Book it!

CrankE writes:

Spurrier effect? Oh, you mean his 3-3 record aainst some of the worst UT teams in the last 40 years? Puh-lease.

If I'm SC, then I load up to squash the run. Put Worley into desperate situations where impossible miracles are required and capitalize on the freshman mistakes.

If I'm UT, I might sell out to get in the SC backfield. As bad as UT's secondary is, it might be the Vols best chance to get some defensive stops.

mr_dave_n_sc#366677 writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

6. Don't go to the game and you won't have to come home disappointed.

Idiot Troll

volsfaithful writes:

I dont expect miracles from Worley. I do expect some mistakes. I also expect to see a level of excitement that is not there with Matt. I agree that we need to sell out to get to the QB and rely on the secondary (scary). We don't need to prove we can run the ball BUT we need to figure out when 8 come rushing, how to get a quick pass out so only one man is between the receiver and the end zone. Andy Kelley was the master of the stadium heart attack when a big lollypop would float over the line and go for 30 yards. Bullets at 5 yards are hard to catch, lollypops are easty to intercept if not put where only the receiver can get them. I am confident from all I have read that Worley is capable of accurate passing and having his head in the game. I believe we stand a chance and I am sure CDD made the right choice with Worley. For all the losers who are on the fire CDD committee, I don't care if he is not the coach for the next 30 years, but if we expect to be anybody in 5 years, he needs to stay. Jury somewhat out for me, but I am more on the positive side. If things never got better, he is no worse than Mike Shula, who was the baseball equivalent to the setup man for the closer. If things work as I expect, we will see a good coach develop into a great coach. I believe CDD is better than Mike Shula - he makes bold decisions and is not afraid to defend them. He wants to fill the stadium which is the ONLY WAY WE WILL RECRUIT BETTER (aside from getting rid of the idiots on this site who would change coaches after every game we lost). Sorry for the length. We need to stand by our team. GBO!

KingDanno (Inactive) writes:

YEAH! Let em have it Worley! I'm excited again.

OrangePsyched writes:

7. RomanRoomRedux kissed his sister and liked it.

VolBy3 writes:

5 big things... How 'bout the first 5 minutes of the third quarter? I think if we control that, we win. Go Justin! It should be fun!

All4VOLS!!

SummerfieldVol writes:

You can bet Spurrier will attack our weakness. He might not do so much the first half and make his adjustment the second half. If he goes for the long ball which we are not able to defend very well,but just watch how S.C defends against our offense and how they attack UT offensively will show our weakness. How we adjust will determine the out come of the game. I saw a interview with Vince Lombardi and he talked about the job of the head coach is to react to what the opponent does. If he is determined to take away the run he is giving you something else and you have to take advantage of what he is giving you. We are determined to stop the run and the OC sees the cornerback cheating up to help stop the run and he call a post route and the results TOUCHDOWN. Instead of playing their position, they took advantage of a player playing out of his position, this can be set up in the first half by watching what a particular player or position does on a play, then they call that same play and throw the bomb or run a reverse or what the play is designed to do. We are out of position alot.

born2ride writes:

We have a good chance to beat South Carolina. We playing at them home and Stephen Garcia is gone and Marcus Lattimore is injured.

The Vols are 22-5-2 against South Carolina but they 2 out of the last 3.

Kiffin was the last coach to beat them.

rootin4volz writes:

Wow, KNS...thanks for making this so easy to read. #perpetualidiocy

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

7. RomanRoomRedux kissed his sister and liked it.

And I bet that curled his pantaloons. Eh, manly, yes, but he likes it too!

DannyVol writes:

Good grief, KNS. You have columnists who constantly blast our football team for lack of execution and then you publish this unformatted mess? By now, we know what to expect as far as content, but have some pride.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

6. Don't go to the game and you won't have to come home disappointed.

7. Hope SC doesn't show up.

in response to volsfaithful:

Outstanding post! Agree with all. I hated to burn Worley's redshirt, but Simms, for all his many good qualities, wasn't getting it done. I never expected him to beat LSU or Bama, but his decision-making is just too slow and uncertain for the speed of the SEC game. The example that stands out in my mind was a 3d-down play where he had Rivera open for a first down, looked at him, froze, and then threw the pass right into the defender's hands. The Vols just visibly deflated right there.

I hope Worley will just make the play he needs to make and not second-guess himself. He has played against Clowney before and beaten him if I am not mistaken. His HS team's offense was built around him and he is used to the pressure of great expectations.

Like many on here, I hoped the team would be a bit farther along than it has shown so far, but a big hue-and-cry against Dooley by impatient, fair-weather fans would damage this program for years to come. Anybody who isn't willing to cut Dooley a bit more slack with the rash of injuries the team has suffered and the obvious youth and lack of depth he and the staff are contending with is not "fan enough" to endure the sometimes painful rebuilding process the team must go through right now.

in response to SummerfieldVol:

Some good points here. I have been disappointed all year by the team's inability to make adjustments at half-time. It is like a band that plays everything they know in their first set and has nothing left for the rest of the show, let alone anything different for an encore even if they should earn one.

SpecialTeams writes:

in response to CroKev:

Have you not watched Matt Darr this year?

On the Friday before the Alabama game Darr missed a walk through practice, he did not read a last min. changes in his itinerary, he went for phy. Therapy . So Matt lost his starting position until he earns it back.