Junior college wing D'Montre Edwards picks Vols

Tennessee added the scorer it was looking for in the men's basketball Class of 2012 when junior college standout D'Montre Edwards said he would sign with the Vols on Nov. 9.

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound wing from Brevard Community College in Melbourne, Fla., committed Saturday night during his official visit.

"I had all the tools coming out of high school; it was just a matter of me putting them all together and lifting consistently,'' Edwards said Sunday. "I've also grown two inches since coming out of high school.''

Texas A&M, Mississippi State, DePaul and the College of Charleston were also recruiting Edwards, who played for West Ashley High School in Charleston, S.C., before going the juco route.

Edwards said he has canceled visits he had set up this week at DePaul and Texas A&M.

Edwards led Brevard with 15.4 points and 6.8 rebounds last season, hitting 37 percent from beyond the 3-point arc and 78.6 percent from the free-throw line. He was a first-team All-Southern Conference selection last season and made the Florida Community College Activities Association all-tournament team.

Edwards said he enjoyed his trip to Knoxville, especially the scene at Neyland Stadium for Saturday night's football game between Tennessee and South Carolina.

"That was crazy,'' Edwards said. "I have never seen anything like that in my life.''

As much as Edwards enjoyed the football game and the UT campus, it's clear that new Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin is the reason he decided to pick the Vols.

"When Coach Martin first came down to visit me, I was sure that not only could he make me a better basketball player, but he could also make me a better person in life,'' Edwards said. "He understands all I've been through in life, and he also gets what it's all about being a student-athlete. I knew all about him before I met him.''

The Vols are also expected to sign 6-8 wing Derek Reese from Olympia High School in Orlando, Fla. Reese committed to UT in August.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him on twitter at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Welcome Aboard, Mr. Edwards and Mr. Reese.

So, does that end recruiting for 2012? I had read in these posts that we only have two schollys for 12. If so, that means no guards or big men will be recruited for 12. That's kinda scary.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Welcome Aboard, Mr. Edwards and Mr. Reese.

Why do we need guards when we have at least 5 of them coming back after this next season?

orangepeel writes:

We are on our way now. I see a SEC championship in 2012. We might even go undefeated since Martin is such a great coach.

VOL1972 writes:

I agree. CCM has got to be a heck of a coach. Most other coaches in the SEC think they need 4 or 5 star players to win -- not CCM. No sir. 3 stars is plenty to work with when you can coach as well as our man.

HtownVol writes:

This is good..

But, we need some BIG MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so scared to see UT get beat up in the paint this season.

Kenny Hall vs a true Center (6'11 270 or so) with Maymon coming in to help at 6'6.

I dont know where we get scoring but I am more worried about UT just having no size.

I think Marting sounds like a great coach but it is very hard to win many games with our bigs being Hall,Maymon,woolridge(scary) and some Freshmen. None having good size.

I will fell a lot more comfterable about UT competing in the SEC when we can sign a 4 star big man, and I mean a REALLY big man.

GO VOLS!

shoalcreekvol writes:

Good job Coach Zo. Very nice pickup.

abnerPeabody writes:

I expect Martin to be another Dooley. Recruiting players only wanted by Jr. Colleges and a few bottom of the pole teams from weak conferences. I know he hasen't coached a game yet,but I am afraid we will be looking for a replacement in a couple of years. Go Martin,prove me wrong.

BigOrange_supporter writes:

in response to VOL1972:

I know you will get a lot of grief for your opinion, but what did we do before scout and rivals came along, how did they evaluate talent back then,....hmmmm, I guess just a guessing game.

VOL1972 writes:

in response to BigOrange_supporter:

You've got good point. I never even considered that CCM might be better at evaluating talent than Rivals, Scout and all the other services that do it for a living.

Thanks! I feel even better about our recruits now.

Ironcity writes:

in response to HtownVol:

This is good..

But, we need some BIG MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so scared to see UT get beat up in the paint this season.

GO VOLS!

Who in the SEC has the 270 pound 6ft 11in center that we will play? Other then UK their really are not any dominating centers in the SEC and for the most part the country. Most people complain about bug slow guys (Williams) so not having one should not bother anyone.

Even UK doesn't have a 6ft 11in 270 pd guy. UT will be OK. Its just going to look a lot different then what we are use to.

RomanRoomRedux (Inactive) writes:

Gotcha...Boy I'll just bet that Martin's gonna be a world beater with those no star recruits. I'm sure Calapari, Stallings, and Donovan are just shakin all over at the prospect of matching up against D'Monte and Cuonzo. God, I'm glad we got rid of Pearl so we could get in some "character guys" and start "doing things the right way". Just like Coach Dooley has.

tennezz writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

Another great Vol fan! You must be real proud of yourself!

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to VOL1972:

Thanks! I feel even better about our recruits now.

I know right?!?! Who would believe that a man with CCM's coaching experience could evaluate talent with the likes of the rivals and scout.com staff, who all played ball at the high school and collegiate level, and have a plethera of coaching experience as well!...what a tool

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Wow, just shows your ignorance. Dooley is about to sign his 3rd consecutive top 15 class, but thanks for trying.

RomanRoomRedux (Inactive) writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Top 15? No kidding?...D_amn, that's got to put us 7th or 8th in the SEC! I had no idea. That Saban's gotta be sweating through his socks knowing he's gonna face talent like that.

IBAVolFan writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Good point

1vavolfan writes:

in response to VOL1972:

I hope this comment was done in sarcasm. This pretty well sums up the thoughts of some of the fools on this board. UT is the next Butler, lol. For every Butler there 100 other schools with 2-3 star talent that are cannon fodder that can't get within 30 points of a top 25 team. CCM has put together a good enough team to compete in the Missouri Valley, not the SEC.

allvol32 writes:

The moron factor is high today...

RomanRoomRedux (Inactive) writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

I hope it's not sarcasm because I'm in CCM's corner and all the fans here who want him to "do it the right way." I'm one of those alums who remembered how bad it was in Stokley when "low character" 5 star bums like Bernard King ran the floor.I just hope CCM can get us back to good ol time Tennessee Basketball like we had under Wade Houston. I think he can.

Orangeblood13 writes:

Lookin on here, maybe ccm may just want to go get the notebook out and jot down some notes from some u guys.

Man. Let the man coach a few and see what we got. He do inherit a mess. Everyone did question some mid level coach named pearl when he was hired.

All we can do is wait and see

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to VOL1972:

Thanks! I feel even better about our recruits now.

Have you pondered the possibility that Coach Martin might happen to evaluate talent for a living as well?

Also, it could be possible that coaches (such as Coach Martin) evaluate talent to be successful, but I guess there are coaches who evaluate talent for the purpose of not succeeding.

Another possible thought for you, have you ever considered that scouting services exist to make money? Who are the main clients of scouting services such as Scout, Rivals, etc...? Why of course, it's people like you and me clamoring for knowledge because most of us don't know what we are talking about...

BigOrange_supporter writes:

in response to VOL1972:

Thanks! I feel even better about our recruits now.

Yea, they were dead on with Bryce Brown and Nukeese.............lol

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

Yemi Makanjoula went to Oak Hill Academy. Those schools don't take you if you have no talent. He could turn out to be like Javis Varnardo. How did we beat No.1 ranked Kansas a couple of years ago with six players. We played harder than they did that day. Some bullies will back down and cry when you hit them in the mouth. Season starts in 2 weeks. They will play hard, which is all I ever ask of our teams. The wins will come and the talent level will increase with time. But we are not devoid of talent right now as some of you will find out when the season starts.
I will guarantee you that we don't lose to Oakland or College of Charleston or Michigan by 30 this year. This group will play with pride.
By the way our 5 star commit didn't make the grades and had to go to junior college. I know he was a Pearl recruit but still a Tennessee commit

jomo11 writes:

Edwards coach in juco is Jeremy Shulman, nephew of UT-chattanoga head coach John Shulman. UT-chat decided Edwards was not good enough for UT-chat. . . . . But yet he is good enough for Martin ? . . . .dark days ahead for Vol basketball

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to VOL1972:

Thanks! I feel even better about our recruits now.

Scotty Hopson agrees with you.

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

Excellent post. I would say teams like Butler and VCU will take team over stars.

GerryOP writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

Is there anything about the UT athletic program you approve of?

jomo11 writes:

Sorry but Edwards is not SEC caliber, and he did not receive an offer from A&M or MSU.........

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Seems from Rivals at least that the overall talent level of UT's recruiting class is not too far off from the LSU, Bama, Fla, types, but I still think it's very telling that the ones we are getting have not generally been sought after by the programs with which we are competing on the field. Still, we should at least be able to get out of NEXT TO LAST PLACE IN THE NATION IN RUSHING next year...should be able.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to slaw_way:

I agree with you to an extent. Last night was the most disappointed I've been with some of the offensive play calling, especially all the wide-side out routes. That's a tough throw for a Freshaman in his first game. Having said that, the D only gave up 14 and if Palardy hadn't missed again, Had DaRick not dropped a sure TD, had we not failed to get O-line push on yet another QB sneak, had Poole not lost 3 yards on 1st and goal from the 2, we would likely be having a much different convesation tonight. I know..if if if if...all I'm saying is that sometimes players just have to make plays. And for all the times the coaches didn't put them in a position to do so, there were plenty of times (enough to win) last night where the players were in a perfect position to do so...and didn't.

fearthehound writes:

Dang! I read the headline and got a little excited, then I read RomanRoom and Vol1972 and I realized that this recruit hasn't passed the review of the 'mama's basement dwelling recuiting service'. I guess this poor guy has no chance. These guys seem to hover over every story, waiting to pounce and post their comments. Somehow, I'm tinking maybe they aren't true fans--nor employed.

GONAVY writes:

in response to Ironcity:

believe it or not, Vanderbilt has the best big man in the SEC in Festus Ezeli. 6' 11" 270 lb. Projected as a first rounder in 2012 NBA draft. He dominates.

born2ride writes:

Pearl was recruiting the top HS players in the country. Martin is getting nothing but JC players and scrubs. This is why we are picked to finish next to last in the SEC.

phhome writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Mississippi State has a center if the coach lets him back on the team, his name is Renardo Sidney. I think he 6'10 270 and has 2 years of eligibility left

VolGrad writes:

in response to allvol32:

The moron factor is high today...

It's gotten to be an everyday occurrence.

fearthehound writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

Actually, a top 15 class might get Saban or anybody else sweating a little. Fact is, anybody with any brains knows (and that would pretty much leave you out) that the difference between the number 14 and the number four class in the country might be a couple five star recruits who may or may not pan out. I'll take a top 15 class any day (and so would the likes of Virginia Tech and Boise State). After a few years of this, we would be fine. Oh, by the way, you're a jerk ---at best.

fearthehound writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

That's the spirit!! Stick to bowling.

fearthehound writes:

in response to slaw_way:

There you go baby!!! Now, you're getting the spirit!! And maybe we'll win the NBA, too...and...and

fearthehound writes:

Sorry, I've been on a roll...

fearthehound writes:

in response to bamacheats:

Yikes. I think I would have just left that one out there.

Tennfan4075 writes:

What really impresses me about this new recruit is not how much smarter than the recruiting services Martin seems to be, but how he was able get this guy after being recruited by so many of those basketball power houses (A&M, Miss. State, and College of Charleston) very impressive. I see Final Four.

HtownVol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

How in the ___ did you get that from what I said?

I already see 3 comments on here naming the exact players I was describing.

I say we need some size and you say your ignorant comment..

I hate it when stupid people say something just to make themselves feel big.

I would love to know how you get your comment from what I said.

Trifecta_Storm writes:

Let me get this out there for the un-educated on recruiting services. These guys sit at their desks and wait for someone to call them and say, "hey, have you seen player x in wyoming" ? I hear that Ohio St and Texas are interested, we might need to bump him up in the rankings if they like him.

That is how scout and rivals rate their players, not by evaluating them, by what schools are recruiting and what they hear from coaches about them. If the guys at scout and rivals were that good at evalutating don't you think they'd rather make 300K per year coaching than 30K per year by adding names on a website???

Come on people, get a grip!!!

jomo11 writes:

that is not true. Both Rivals and Scouts hire dozens of ex-coaches as scouts who can actually attened more of these high schools kids games than the College coaches are allowed to. Yahoo paid $100 million dollars for rivals.com, with that kind of money these services get these things right more than not.

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

It means it puts you in the same ballpark talent-wise and gives you a chance to compete after a few cosecutive years of development. Geesh, I have to spell it out for you?

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Wow how usernames do you have? This one, RomanRedux, Vol1972, it's all the same old tired negative Vol-hating blather that sounds like it comes from the same remedial fake fan.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to bamacheats:

How 'bout support the Vols, let them play some games and then evaluate him when you have something other than your genetic shortcomings to base it on.

Theo writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Amen

Theo writes:

in response to RomanRoomRedux:

What a pathetic human you are - every one of your posts on here are just running UT and our coaches down. Is your life really that sad that your only enjoyment is being a jerk?
Why don't you go get romantic with yourself and leave this board to supporters of the Vols.
GBO