Finding Vols on pay-per-view

The most anticipated numbers for Tennessee football fans not planning to attend Saturday's game against Montana were released Thursday.

That would be the channel numbers for the VideoSeat pay-per-view service.

Fans will need to contact their local cable system or satellite provider to order the game and receive price information.

Customers should order the broadcast by going to the designated channel and following the ordering instructions on their TV screen using their remote prior to the 6 p.m. kick-off on Saturday.

Customers can order the game on Comcast channel 726, Charter channel 349, AT&T U-verse channel 105, Dish Network channel 456 and DirecTV channel 786. Call your cable system if it's not listed.

The game is blacked out on ESPN GamePlan and ESPN3.com in the state of Tennessee.

The announcing team for Saturday's telecast will be Randy Smith and former UT quarterback Jeff Francis. Rick Russo of WVLT will handle sideline duties.

Phil Kaplan is sports editor. He may be reached at 865-342-6285. Follow him at http://twitter.com/philkaplan

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jg611 writes:

will the game be broadcast on sirius/xm?

Mtnbiker writes:

Just curious if UT gets any of the money from PPV?

ORboy writes:

in response to jg611:

will the game be broadcast on sirius/xm?

The promo e-maill I got from SiriusXM indicates the UT play-by-play will be available on XM Ch. 200 and Sirius Ch. 217. The Sirius is normally only available as part of their Premiere Package but the e-mail indicates that there is a free sample of the Sirius Premier Package this weekend through next. Sorry Grizzly Fans, I didn't see a listing for their game coverage.

ClearVol writes:

Jeff francis?! Rick Russo?, remember the old days when you turned down the TV and cranked up John Ward? That, was awesome. Maybe someday ole Bob K will learn the players numbers and we can once again turn down the tube to listen to the VolNetwork... Eh, on second thought, prolly not.
Opportunity is Now Here!
GBO!

ThaiVolFan writes:

I too wish somehow we found another John Ward in the making. I just can't imagine having to listen to Bob Kesling until he's 70 ;(

govols1234567 writes:

espn3.com will have this game streaming online for free as a lot of you know. But in case some of you dont, you can save yourself some money fron Pay-per-view

smithers writes:

Any ideas for watching online from Europe?

govols1234567 writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

For real?? Thanks for letting me know. And also this Phil guy for the link. Otherwise it would have been a slightly disappointing weekend. Its gonna be a good weekend

govols1234567 writes:

And also by this "Phil guy" I mean Phil Kaplan. Who I just discovered after reading this blog. I didn't finish the whole article. and probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for you. Double fail

Twelvethirtyone writes:

in response to Mtnbiker:

Just curious if UT gets any of the money from PPV?

Mtnbiker, yep, UT gets money from the PPV. I am not sure what the revenue share numbers are. Each year UT has 1 game that is exclusively PPV, and at least 2 more that are PPV but also showing on other networks (like ESPNU / ESPN2 / ETC.) Typically these games are against lesser opponents. :)

Mtnbiker writes:

Thanks i figured something like that was the case, but never hear about those kind of deals.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Win this one by 31 and get ready for Cinci.

8000 ducats available, tickets will be $10 on Cumberland

GBO

TKG_VOL writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

I can understand them blocking out ESPN3.com in a 100 -125 mile radius of Knoxville but not over here in West Tenn. we are 300 miles away.

TKG_VOL writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

Hotspotshield.com doesn't seem to be a site one can watch the game on. Correct me if I'm wrong. How would you go find it?

Central_IL_Vol writes:

The Vols handle Montana with no problem. Dooley and Company use this game to get playing time out of 2, 3, and maybe 4 string players to get an idea of who may be able to contribute later. This game and, hopefully, the Cincy game will give the Vols an idea of how to beat the Gators in 2 weeks.

IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!

GO VOLS!!

boonhower writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

The "tough act to follow" argument was worn out a few years ago. We have had enough time to evaluate Bob outside the shadow of John Ward, and the result of that evaluation is that he stinks. I was willing to give him a chance for a few years, but not anymore. I bought a walkman for the games that had a tv audio feed on it that worked great until the digital switch. I could listen to the games on channel 8 at the stadium until then. You know it's bad when I would tune into to hear the audio of Jefferson Pilot instead of the Vol Network. He stinks. I'd even go so far as to say I'd take Mickey Dearstone over Bob now.

BeRealistic writes:

in response to TKG_VOL:

I downloaded Hotspotshield.com & am like you, can't figure out where to go from Homepage.

TKG_VOL writes:

in response to BeRealistic:

02Champ: give us some info hon this.

bretticus25#294810 writes:

The way I figure, paying for a PPV game truly beats trying to sit on a bench that was made for 18 people, yet has 20 seat stickers, and finding out the hard way that 4 of those 20 already take up 1.75 seats per rear end.

rockytom writes:

Don't waste your time with hotspotshield.com. It has nothing to do with carrying the game.

BeRealistic writes:

in response to rockytom:

That's what I thought after checking website out, O2champ has been to Pearl's cookouts & learned to lie. LOL

eaglehim2 writes:

Those UT admin folks sure make it difficult to be an ordinary fan. Used to be that a casual fan could always find a game on TV somewhere and also several radio stations. Now it is much more difficult. Going to the game is out in my book. Too much expense and difficulty to get there, find parking, pickup a ticket at will call, sit on those terrible benches, pay outrageous food and drink prices, and then fight the traffic after the game. Forgetaboutit.

bretticus25#294810 writes:

I think that ticket pricing is unreasonable Use BMI, or body mass index, to determine pricing for tickets. If you are thin, you get cheaper tickets. The thin sheeple can be packed in like sardines and buy more cokes. The higher BMI folks need to pay more. They take up more than one seat/sticker on the bench. They sweat more. They load up on hotdogs out in the parking lot, and walking up stairs behind them is a beast.

The price tag for my misery is non negotiable. You could give me 50 yard line 20 rows up and I would still not enjoy being herded like cattle, having people next to me crowd up on my lap, and nearly screaming after hearing the drone of the announcer's voice. Then there's the smell....

I do like watching them on TV and playing "guess that psychopathy" on the locals. If anything, I'm kinda a fam for that reason alone.

One of my favorite memories of UT football was one day, during a big game, there was literally no wait for my favorite restaurant. Being on a date, after the game we were driving toward downtown, watching the traffic in the opposite direction, and as I was turning the radio to something more upbeat, I heard the most charming redneck calling in to some talkshow. He said "I know The Vawls lost a bigun today, but i's right there the whole time, and I just want everyone to know that win or lose, I'm 100 percent, orange blooded ALL VAWL!". He then proceeded to demand wins because he paid for season tickets. He even said he thought that he should get to keep any football that goes into the crowd after extra points, etc.

Good times. We were in tears laughing. Keep up the good times, orange nation.

Ender writes:

Does anyone know which restaurants or bars will be showing the game?

acolvol#632266 writes:

in response to ClearVol:

Opportunity is Now Here!
GBO!

Don't you love it when Kessling announces that it is now 2nd and 4 after a pick up of 8 yards on first down.

acolvol#632266 writes:

in response to smithers:

Any ideas for watching online from Europe?

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to fly from Knoxville to Europe with only a one day advanced purchase?

lofter writes:

Down here, in Texas, the DISH guide says that it will be on Ch 455, at $25. I'm sure the channel is subject to change.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to boonhower:

Excellent post. +1

totoiv writes:

in response to BeRealistic:

hotspotshield is a software that will hide your IP address so when you log on to ESPN3 it can not tell that you are in the State of Tennessee. Yes, the game is not on hotspotshield but it is the software you need to trick ESPN3.

totoiv writes:

in response to Twelvethirtyone:

Each team in the SEC is allowed 1 pay per view game. The way UT was on two last year was because, the first one was UT's pick the second one (Vanderbilt game) was Vandys pick.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to lofter:

Same here in Ohio, lofter--Ch 455 @ $25. Spoke with a Dish rep who informed me that ESPN Gameplan is available through Sat. at a discounted price of $115 that is good for the entire season. I just don't know how many of the Vols' games will be available only through GP that would justify spending the difference. Like others have stated; times are tough and every extra $ really matters. That's another reason I really get irritated when I read about all the buyouts that run into the millions and yet there seems to be so little regard for the average fan who is expected to help shoulder the burden of those buyouts.

volzinanyyear writes:

If anyone tries to order it on DirecTv, you have to call and talk to customer service, which is an additional $5. You cannot order it on their website. Kinda sticking it to people if you ask me.

acolvol#632266 writes:

in response to volzinanyyear:

I know, they tried that on me last season, once my contract is over they are history.

TNVOLBoilermaker writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

I feel that is a damn shame that the people of East Tn. (the ones that feed the Big Orange Machine) cannot see the game on tv without PPV. It will never happen but I wish everyone would unite and make a stand over this. It just isn't right!

trubleoj#657755 writes:

I'm driving the 5hrs from RDU to the game but my wife will watch it on espn3 via the watchespn iPad app. She'll hook it up to the tv to watch it in full 42 in . Just tested it out on the TCU game, works well.

Vol43 writes:

in response to acolvol#632266:

He does it all the time. Makes you wonder how he got the job. Seriously

Noiseboy writes:

PPV in SD 4X3? Just like last year, and the year before. $25 is $20 too much. Hey UT, there's this thing called HD; SPEND SOME MONEY on something besides contract buyouts. Cheap a holes

HtownVol writes:

This is the good part about livinh in Houston. ESPN GamePlan covers me tomorrow!

KiwiLuvsUT writes:

Yall are crazy. There is nothing like being at games. I love how everyone and their brother wears orange. Ive had season tickets since i was born. 13 years now. I love the smell and screaming fans. In the moment as players run out and the band blasts rocky top you know your in for somethin special.

kyvol98 writes:

I bought a pretty high end laptop with HDMI output for this reason (ESPN 3)

ArmyO6VOL writes:

Finally, it's Football time in Tennessee! Since I will be be able to make the game in Knoxville, I do plan on watching on DirectTV. Here in Elizabethtown, KY the game is on channel 788, Direct TV.

CookevilleMark writes:

In the Cookeville area you can watch the game at both Bilmar 19th Hole on tenth and Fisk, and Bilmar Station fairgrounds (behind Taco Bell and Manderin Palace on South Jefferson. Their phone number is 520-WING. See you there

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to jg611:

will the game be broadcast on sirius/xm?

No, asked them yesterday!!

vollerdash writes:

Just researched this hotspotsheild, would not use this program !!!! it will shut down vital programs inside your virus spyware.It may work or it may not ??? not gonna risk it ....

MJVol88 writes:

I tried watching the Va Tech/App St game which is blacked out here and it wouldn't work even with the hotspot shield. Any help would be appreciate if y'all know what I might be doing wrong.

mitchwkr writes:

On my direct tv guide, it shows the game on 786 and 788. On channel 786 it shows the cost as 34.95, but on 788 it shows the cost as 25.00.

ArmyO6VOL writes:

I am watching the game on Direct TV channel 788 in Elizabethtown, KY. Looks like rain delay. It's football time in TN!!!!

ChattMac writes:

Hotspot probably used to work, but you gotta figure someone from your tv provider found out about it and eliminated that back door. I tried it with comcast and it did not work..