John Adams: SEC openers, for better or worse

John Adams

For better or worse, here's how the SEC opening acts compared to my preseason perceptions:

Tennessee — Worse.

Most UT fans had the same complaint when they woke up Sunday morning — or Sunday afternoon — the day after their team's 42-16 victory over Montana.

Short version: "We can't run the ball."

Long version: "We can't run the ball against Montana."

Alabama — Worse.

So what if the Tide beat Kent State 48-7? Star running back Trent Richardson managed only 37 yards on 13 carries.

Shouldn't he be able to do that on one leg against Kent State?

Arkansas — As expected.

The passing game hummed right along in the quarterback transition from Ryan Mallett to Tyler Wilson, the running game was unimpressive without injured Knile Davis, and the defense held an overmatched opponent to nine first downs.

Auburn — Worse.

By rallying from a 10-point deficit in the last three minutes, the defending national champions proved they still know how to make a comeback. But they have forgotten how to tackle.

They made freshman quarterback Chuckie Keeton look like Cam Newton, and their running game (30 carries for 78 yards) was almost as deficient as their tackling against a team picked to finish sixth in the WAC.

Florida — Better. But not as good as Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger thinks.

He was so dazzled — or dazed — by the Gators' 41-3 victory, he predicted they would be "in the hunt for the national championship."

They're at least in the hunt for an adequate offense, which would be an improvement over last year. Another good sign: A defense that included two true freshmen in the secondary held Florida Atlantic to 137 yards.

Georgia — Worse.

I actually thought the Bulldogs would upset Boise State. What's wrong with me?

Maybe I just forgot that Boise usually comes up big on a big stage, and Georgia's program is shrinking by the game. If it gets much smaller, it will need a toy bulldog for a mascot.

One more thing: If you are a traditional program wearing nontraditional uniforms, you better win.

Kentucky — Worse. And I picked the Wildcats last in the East.

By the end of the first quarter of a 14-3 victory over Western Kentucky, Wildcats fans had to be ready for basketball season — or at least the return of former quarterback Mike Hartline.

Congratulations to Vanderbilt. It no longer has the worst passing attack in the SEC East.

And I write that without having seen Vanderbilt's offense.

LSU — As expected.

All of the Tigers' off-the-field problems, including the arrest and suspension of quarterback Jordan Jefferson, didn't faze them in a 40-27 victory over No. 3 Oregon. At one point, with the Tigers leading 33-13, the game was starting to look almost as one-sided as a barroom brawl between players and the general populace.

Never mind that quarterback Jarrett Lee couldn't complete half his passes. The Tigers can run the ball, and they're fast and deep on defense.

How many other teams will hold Oregon under 100 yards rushing?

Mississippi State — Better.

The Bulldogs might have more playmakers than last year based on the play of redshirt freshman wide receiver Jameon Lewis in a 59-14 victory over Memphis. Power-running quarterback Chris Relf continues to improve as a passer.

Ole Miss — Better. But I picked them last in the West.

The offense, which lost running back Brandon Bolden to a first-half injury, was a mess. Yet the Rebels still had to blow a 13-0 lead in the last 10 minutes to lose 14-13.

That tells you how much their defense has improved since 2010 when it was last in the conference against scoring.

South Carolina — Worse.

It took a half for coach Steve Spurrier to remember that he needs Stephen Garcia — baggage and all — at quarterback. Now, it's up to defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson to determine what's wrong with a supposedly competent Gamecocks defense, which gave up four touchdown passes in a 56-37 victory.

Vanderbilt — Better.

You say: But it only beat Elon (45-14).

I say: But it's only Vanderbilt.

If the Commodores showed up at your family reunion and beat whatever team you assembled by 31 points, I would be impressed.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CroKev writes:

Too bad we're not playing Ole Miss and Auburn this year and too bad we're playing Bama and LSU. USCe had a lot of fumbles and will still be a beast.

I guess the OL and Poole can forget about 2,000 yds. this year. Poole won't even be able to get 1,000 if he gets beat out by Lane.

I expect Dooley and Hiestand to turn things around quickly.

harleyln1956#415938 writes:

hey, Adams you are so negative against Tenn. it's funny. They could have BEEN 100% and you would still say they suck. GO BACK TO FLORIDUH YOU.,';LOSER.

VOLunTEAR writes:

A win is a win is a win. 1-0 is better than 0-1. We will improve. Go Dooley & The Vols!

king21 writes:

Who would have thought that Adams would say LSU: as expected. If LSU would have gotten destroyed, he would have come to their defense. If everyone played defense on LSU like Adams does, they would NEVER win.

UTbassdrummer writes:

By my count, Tauren still racked up about 100yds (far more than Lane's 30ish yards) and we won easily. I read this site every day and have ZERO recollection of Adams predicting we'd be better than we showed against Montana. IN FACT, I remember him telling us to IGNORE what we see in the Montana game. So, I didn't put ANY stock in our human highlight reel of a passing game, the O-line figuring out what to do, ANOTHER Tauren Poole 100yd (well 99) performance... I didn't put stock in anything, per Adams instruction.

Just saying, and I'm not among the daily Adams hatred, but I'm just saying.... he's backwards-manufacturing his UT expectations around what happened in the game.

RussellP (Inactive) writes:

mbain13 writes:

in response to harleyln1956#415938:

I have to agree with Adams actually. The run game was awful, I thought Poole would get 150 on these guys. It was hard to watch him run the ball. It wasn't all on the O'Line either.

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Pump the brakes there InDestruCtible...Florida may turn out to be awesome this season or they could be average only time will tell..but dont forget it was FAU after all..JB3 still had more ints than tds..he will have to sure those #s up before SEC play..and before you insult or tell me im ignorant or whatever..no where in this post says anything derogatory toward UF

GONAVY writes:

The early line out of Vegas has UT a 6.5 point favorite in the Cincinnati game. Not sure if that's a testament to the perceived offensive capability of Cincinnati or the running struggles of UT or what. The home team is given 6 points by the bookies simply for being at home. It will be a good game to watch.

treytn writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

I have to admit that with a new coaching staff and a new system Florida looked much better prepared than the Vols did yesterday......and that upset me that we weren't. Since Florida had even more young players than Tennessee I though that even though the game was down there we had our best shot of beating you. After watching both games yesterday, our chances look VERY slim.
On a sidenote, I saw where your defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd is ineligible. His status is not agent or booster related, according to multiple reports, but does deal with an NCAA issue. Any more information?

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

in response to harleyln1956#415938:

YOU RIGHT JOHNBOY IS STONE COLD LOOSER AND KNS LOOKS REALLY BAD KEEPING THIS LOOSER EMPLOYED

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to treytn:

Trey, don't disagree with your post but UT has more underclassmen (Fr/Soph) in their 2-deep than any other school in D-1. With all their losses to graduation, Auburn has fewer. With all their freshmen last year, Florida has fewer. We had 7 true freshmen playing in our 2-deep last night. Florida is young, we are younger. And they did look good, albeit against a very poor team. But what did impress me was the same thing you saw - they looked prepared and ready to play. Often times last night, we did not. Opponents aside, they looked ready to hit their season running and we looked like we needed another couple of weeks of practice. Because of that, I do agree that winning in the Swamp is highly unlikely this year but you never know - that's why they'll make us play anyway. We'd better worry about Cincy first. Go Vols!!!

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to CroKev:

I expect Dooley and Hiestand to turn things around quickly.

"I expect Dooley and Hiestand to turn things around quickly."

Maybe the problem is that fans like you should have expected Dooley to have things ready to go during the first game against an FCS opponent.

Captain: Mr. Engineer, is the S.S.Vols ready ready for her maiden voyage?

Engineer: I sure hope so Captain. We did just the amount of work necessary to make it more likely than not that she'll float.

Captain: What do you mean?!? Is the boat sea-worthy or not?

Engineer: I'm not sure. We'll get her out into deep water and then plug up any holes that might spring up.

Captain: Oh. Well, I'm sure that we'll be able to fix any problem we come across when we're in the water. ALL ABOARD!!!

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to harleyln1956#415938:

Keepin' it classy as always.

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to RussellP:

Tell that to the 2000 Baltimore Ravens Squad.

You only need a QB that is good enough to score more points than your defense allows the opposing team to make. If LSU's Defense is dominant, then it's QB can be mediocre.

Oh and I will take your bet. I will take Oregon over Vandy...giving Vandy the same fumbles at the same times as in the LSU game. Easiest money I could ever make.

murrayvol writes:

It took awhile but senility has finally captured Howard's mind.

Good News - UGA's beatable
Bad News - LSU's probably not
Other News - Richardson is no Ingram

DennisVols writes:

What did we see yesterday? UF’s 2 QB threw 1 TD and 3 INT’s between them against a team that probably could not beat Montana. GA’s highly rated QB looked average at best and their receivers dropped 12 passes at my last count that should have been caught. Like last year the GA defense was very poor against the pass and mediocre against the run. No way can they compete against the SEC with that kind of performance. USC manage to come back against a team they should have never gotten that far behind on. Auburn managed a miracle come from behind win against another team that should not have been able to compete in the SEC on any Saturday unless we are talking Vandy, Ol’ Miss or Kentucky.
Yes UT’s run game was AWOL yesterday and must improve in order to be competitive in conference play. What I saw from Bray that stood out was his ability to check down to other receivers on pass plays. I did not see him looking like a deer hunter staring down a lone target. The defense showed the speed and tackling improvements against a spread offense that in recent years has given them fits.
It is just week one and all the team showed the rust that is typical following 8 months without any real game time. There is a lot of room for improvement from every team I saw playing, some more than others. The 2nd half saw Dooley trying to establish the running game which reduced the points, they were not necessary anyway. The goal line possession everyone is up in the air about had the 2nd and 3rd teamers in on the line. I would like to see the fullback used more often especially on plays like the one when we gave up the safety.
Just because everything did not go as planned yesterday does not spell the end of the world or the end of the season. UT came away with a good win. Yes they left a few points on the field, so did every other good team I saw playing. The difference is we got a win, some didn’t. I’ll take a win over Montana any day over a loss to anyone.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

"I expect Dooley and Hiestand to turn things around quickly."

Captain: Mr. Engineer, is the S.S.Vols ready ready for her maiden voyage?

Captain: What do you mean?!? Is the boat sea-worthy or not?

Thats a good analogy..you can also have everything completely checked and ready to go and get in that deep water and spring a leak..

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

You can't say "let's wait a few more games to decide who's really good and who isn't" right after you determine that both Oregon and LSU aren't any good.

C'mon people...use logic.

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to osbymartin75:

True...but the running game not working is not just "springing a leak." It's like getting on a boat and one of the props not turning over. Somebody isn't doing their job.

DC_your_mom_called writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

What's the matter, DC, gotta come to GoVols for another half dozen comments because you have no Florida friends to talk football with?

Unfortunately for you, even when Florida wins big you remain a big friendless loser.

DannyVol writes:

As a fan, you simply cannot learn much from week one in games with huge point spreads...unless the favorite (like Auburn) lays an egg. In these type of games, the play-calling is vanilla and the coordinators often choose plays which need work the most. Furthermore, some of these plays are ran several times just to see how they need to be tweaked or if they need to be eliminated. That's the advantage of such games. Meanwhle, the defense runs its base package as much as possible in order to hide tendencies.

As for the Montana game specifically, they had 8 and 9 in the box the entire night and their front 7 were seniors and juniors with very good size...several 300 pounders up front and 240-50 lb linebackers. Don't get too carried away with the fact they kept Poole at around 100 yds. If anyone else we play puts 9 in the box all night against us, our passing game will pick them apart. We could have done that last night to the tune of 80-16, but we needed the work. Better to "call off the dogs" than to score 72 and have no film to learn from.

beartn#223846 writes:

<<Adams is pretty far off on LSU. Oregon wasn't the #3 team in the nation last night, not by any stretch of the imagination. With the turnovers that Oregon handed to LSU, even Vandy would have won that game. LSU didn't have a quarterback last night, and unless football has changed since my day you need a quarterback.>>

Vandy would have been blown out by Oregon, even if Oregon had 4 turnovers. I thought LSU was impressive. How many teams would dominate a top 5 opponent with their back up QB and minus their most explosive playmaker? I don't think any defenses in the PAC 12 will come close to shutting Oregon down like LSU did.

Also, I know many fans were always down on Chavis. How many would take Monte Kiffin over John Chavis at DC in college? I wouldn't.

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

C'mon people...use logic.

In all fairness..the preseason rankings can be wrong not always but...since 2002.. 7 teams ranked in the preseason top 5 have lost 4 or more games including #4 florida who finished 8-5 and #5 texas who finished 5-7 last season..so saying "lets wait a few more games to see who is really good and who isnt" isnt totally a bad idea...now just how good oregon and lsu are will be determined in time..

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

John Adams is a "senior columnist?" I thought he was the sports editor. Was I wrong?

Anyway, I was blown away by John Chavis' defense against the Oregon Ducks! For all pratical purposes, he almost shut 'em down.

I like Justin Wilcox, but I miss the Chief.

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

People aren't upset that the Vols played poorly at the O-Line and the run game...they are upset that it happened against an opponent possessing FAR less talent than 9 of our next 11 opponents. One thing Montana was not able to do was capitalize off problems with the offense. If Florida is able to stagnate the run, they aren't going to get beaten in the air. They have one of the most talented secondaries in the SEC. If the offense can't hold on to the ball, do you think Bama is going to let us recover six of our own turnovers? UF, Arkansas, and even UGA aren't going to let UT get away with having a pathetic running game.

Also, no matter how badly Auburn played, it still doesn't effect how UT will fare against our SEC foes.

Look forward to a 7-5 season at best unless UT can magically create a running game where currently none exists. Oh and our return game bites it too. That's probably important playing against other SEC teams.

DennisVols writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Are you actually bragging about that win against FL Atl.?
FL Atl 0 turnovers, UF 3
Time of possession: 28:39 FL Atl 31:21 UF
Your starting QB threw for just 229 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT’s
The SEC is not FL Atl and with that kind of performance against a team with a real offense and a better defense UF is the team that is worried.
Brantley was a loser last year and he is already showing that he is not the caliber QB capable of winning anything other than scrub games. Before you start your back up threw 1 INT and no TD.
You could not even dominate time of possession in this game. Please you think that game scared anyone other than a true UF fan.
Give it a rest and come back when you actually beat someone.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca:

I like Justin Wilcox, but I miss the Chief.

The last 3 yrs it seems that Oregons high scoring offense gets "shut down" for 1 game a season...LSU sat., Aub last yr, and Boise St, in 09...2 of those was the season opener...Did Oregon play their A game Sat the answer is no..partial credit goes to LSUs D and some of the blame is on Oregon themselves...Chavis is a good DC

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

"Who is more pathetic: The trolls or the poster that is obsessed with them?" -Obi Wan Kenobi

DennisVols writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

So since UF threw 3 INT and only 1 TD with your reasoning since it was such an inferior opponent FL Atl their fans should believe there is no way they can survive this season because they have no passing game.
All I was stating is it was just one game. Not the whole season and every team I saw play had areas that should be a concern. Montana played 8 in the box all night. If you continue to do that you get the results they got. A 295 yard passing performance by Bray, 3 TDs.
No we cannot live on just a passing game and we must establish the run. I also stated that but again it was just the 1st game. If you actually believe this team was going to win more than 8 games this season you are wishing for more than is reasonable. With 70% of the starters either freshmen or sophomores and a defensive line with only 1 starter returning. Not even 2 deep at many positions on defense. This team is too young and too thin to reasonably think they will play for a championship this year.
It is not a knock on the coaching staff it is a simple statement of facts about how far we have come and how far we still need to go. UT is talented but that is not a substitute for experience. Can they win more than 8? Sure they can but I deal with reality and not fantasy. There are still a lot of holes in a team that was stripped bare by the 2 previous coaching staffs.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

so...we shouldn't make assumptions about teams after only one game...unless we made the assumption before the game and then it's ok so long as the assumption was not disproven by the game?

volsfannsc writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

I would never call LSU impresive. Fact being, LSU AND Les Miles are just plain lucky. I really think LSU is the luckiest team in Div 1 football. I know of no other team that get as many game day 'breaks' as this team.

Of course they always say it's better to be lucky than good.

cloudodust writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

Some call it take-aways, some call it turn-overs but whatever one wants to call it, the team that gets the ball and makes points out of them usually comes out on top...The way I saw LSU-Oregon, a tip of the cap to LSU for withstanding a 19 play drive and not getting gassed. They looked conditioned and rotated personnel pretty good Opening Day.

cloudodust writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

As a Tennessee native living in Georgia, well, I had no choice but to go with Boise myself...You ought to hear the uga faithless moaning down this way after getting beat Saturday night, plus the GaTek people are all over it. Next week it's go Gamecocks.

treytn writes:

From reading the last 25-30 comments from some people I'm now elated that Tennessee managed to run the ball at all. I didn't realize that Montana High was stacked with future NFL defensive linemen and linebackers against our poor offensive line. I know that the NFL is chock full of players from Montana and Tennessee might only have one, but I was hoping that hearing just how strong our offensive line was we'd have a chance. My bad, I apologize for questioning what everyone else apparently knew - Montana's defense WILL NOT BE RUN ON this year!!!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to treytn:

Well, I am feeling pretty good about the rest of the season now that I've learned that no one - not even in the SEC - is going to have such a vaunted, immovable defensive line that we saw Saturday night with Montana. I feel good now knowing we're going to ram the ball down everyone's throat, amassing untold rushing numbers this season.

kman29 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

leave it to you to make Montana out to be the return of the 1960's Crimson tide teams. Really? They are D1AA or whatever they call that division now a days. And while I am not going to make FAU out to be any kind of juggernaut and are still a Sunbelt team, they are a school who has won their conference and have been to and won a couple bowl games. In fact they have won more bowl games in the last 5 years than Tennessee has. But again, we understand that they are not the mighty grizzlies of Montana!

SEC1 writes:

Face it naval this tn team stinks, a good tn team which featured t. martin, jamal lewis, peerless price, would of score 42pts by halftime. and a good rb like jamal lewis would of had 100yrds after the first qt vs a fcs school like montana, its no excuse to not be able to run the ball vs montana.... 8-9 wins ....ha i dont think so..... poole suckkkkks

kman29 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Are you actually bragging about that win against FL Atl.?
FL Atl 0 turnovers, UF 3
Time of possession: 28:39 FL Atl 31:21 UF
Your starting QB threw for just 229 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT’s
Give it a rest and come back when you actually beat someone.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

LOL! Gotta love it when fans like yourself comment on a game you probably didn't even watch. You simply went to the espn box score on your computer and decided what you thought of the game based on that. So when morons like yourself bring up "losing time of possession" stat, you don't realize for most of the first half UF ran a no huddle offense which gave them scoring drives for TDs of 3:29, 1:01, 4:35, and 3:23. Looking at your little box score for your stats also don't show the opening drive by FAU of 4:51. Not long by any means, but you don't see Florida blocking their punt for a TD and then kicking the ball back off to FAU for another 3:10 drive resulting in a punt back to Florida. But hey! you enjoy that time of possession stat you looked up. LOL!

The same goes for the rest of your garbage. Anyone who actually watched the game came away pretty impressed. Simply look at any article, watch any sports show that comments on the game and you will see nothing but positive feed back on what people saw in the game. Doesn't mean they are a NC contender or even going to win the SEC, just means that they look a little better than what people, including many Gator fans thought they would see. Unfortunately that's not what Vol fans like yourself want to hear.

elivol writes:

John Adams is as expected also....Always the Butt Hole. He's always negative about Tennessee, the team, and us fans. We respect you John, less than you respect us. Your resignation would be the best news for the UTAD in over a year or maybe 5.

OrangePride writes:

Sometimes I wonder just exactly how high expectations for a bunch of freshman and sophomores really can get, and then I read posts like some of the ones here. NO..we were not effective running the ball. NO, the OL was not punching holes in the Montana defense. But that said, our OL was noticeably improved in pass protection and was seemingly free of big mistakes...a few false starts is about it. Now the one thing I DO fault them on is not getting the ball over from first and goal at the end of the game. Pathetic performance on that....BY THE COACHING STAFF! They had 10 men stacked in there on one of the downs and we run it up the gut for minus yardage???!!! Someone said it earlier...UCLA all over again. What was it Saturday that nobody wants to run outside or use those little swing passes to Rogers or a back?? In four downs we couldn't have tried at least one outside play? Come on people....you have to be more resourceful than off tackle/off guard every down. Other than that, a pretty good night. GO VOLS!!

kman29 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

So Montana HAS 11 players in the NFL? Ok! So does that mean teams need to fear playing North Texas since Mean Joe Greene played there? And according to you they had their worst season in a while last year, yet their current Seniors have "won around 30 games". Doesnt that just really mean that these seniors sat on the bench watching better players while they were freshman and sophomores and then as they took over as Juniors really sucked? By your logic then you should be praising Brantley as one of the greatest QBs in the game because look at UFs record since he has been there 2007-Current he has "won" 43 games and 2 national titles and 2 SEC titles. LOL! Your attempted arguments get more and more pathetic!

eprahm (Inactive) writes:

I don't know why everyone is always so negative about Adams' articles. I don't always agree with him but I think he writes interesting articles and is a good writer. I wrote for a motorcycle magazine for nine years and know it is a challenge to please all, and to constantly come up with fresh and interesting material. I've been a TN fan since Dewey Warren was the QB but I know there are positive and negative things each season. I like to hear his thoughts on each.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to murrayvol:

It took awhile but senility has finally captured Howard's mind.

Good News - UGA's beatable
Bad News - LSU's probably not
Other News - Richardson is no Ingram

Don't count those chickens before they hatch. Lacy is used more as a tailback and Richardson was plowing the short yardage stuff, but he is still elusive and will get better numbers. The Tide has a stable of good RBs, even with the loss of a super frosh to injury prior to the season, Dee Hart. Also, Saban was experimenting with different OL combinations and that will settle down and be smoother as things progress.

CroKev writes:

If you really want to know how disturbing things are in Gainesville these days consider that Florida Atlantic's record was 4-8 last year with 3 of those wins by 1 point. They lost to the following teams last year:
TROY 44, FAU 7
Middle Tennessee 38, FAU 14
Texas 51, FAU 17
FAU 17, WKU 16 (OK, they did beat the team UT beat 63-0)
Arkansas State 37, FAU 16
ULM 20, FAU 17
USF 31, FAU 3
North Texas 21, FAU 17
Michigan State 30, FAU 17

Thus, UF can now claim to be in the same league as Troy, MTSU, Louisiana Monroe, etc. Furthermore, the DC laddie says that UF fans couldn't be happier with an opening where their QB's had 3 int's and only 1 passing TD. Man, things are worse than I thought!

kman29 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

You watched both games a couple of times? LOL! Seriously your telling me you sat down and watched the Florida game not once, but twice? Uh huh! And if true I would ask, why?

kman29 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Who is hiding? Secondly, obviously our opinions mean something since you feel the need to reply to each and every one.

VOLtage writes:

The way Georgia played they should have a toy poodle for a mascot.

kman29 writes:

in response to CroKev:

TROY 44, FAU 7
Middle Tennessee 38, FAU 14
Texas 51, FAU 17
FAU 17, WKU 16 (OK, they did beat the team UT beat 63-0)
Arkansas State 37, FAU 16
ULM 20, FAU 17
USF 31, FAU 3
North Texas 21, FAU 17
Michigan State 30, FAU 17

And that's any better than bragging on beating a team that last year lost the following games?

Cal Poly, Eastern Washington, Weber State, Montana State

At least Gator fans aren't making a D1AA team out to be a world class juggernaut. The reality is both Tennessee and Florida beat teams they were supposed to beat. I didn't see the Tennessee game so I have no idea how they looked. All I know is it was a D1AA team, just as Vol fan reminded Gator fans last year when they beat up App. State, but I know opinions of that change when it's the Vols doing it.

As for the "stats" of only 1 TD pass and 3 ints. Well first off when you can score left and right with Rainey and Demps, block punts ect..for TDs, what does it really matter if only 1 TD was "thrown"? The 3 Int's if anyone saw can be lived with. But so glad Vol fan is quite concerned with them.

kman29 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Who said anything about the game on the 17th? I was simply responding to your idotic post about how great Montana is. I do love though how you "attempt" to trash other people's opinions stating "you state opinion like its fact, its not" Yet then you go on a post "Montana would beat FAU straight up". So what, your opinion is fact? LOL! What a moron!

And again, you watched the Florida game twice? WHY?