Tyler Bray's stats show up when it counts

What did you take away from UT's opening game?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray throws the ball to wide receiver Justin Hunter, right, for an 81-yard touchdown during the first quarter of the Vols' game against Montana on Saturday at Neyland Stadium.

Scrap those scrimmage statistics.

Anybody questioning if Tyler Bray was setting the bar too high with his own personal expectations can toss those doubts aside, as well.

After some shaky performances in low-pressure situations against his Tennessee teammates, followed up by a public declaration last week that his goal was to complete at least 70 percent of his passes against Montana, Bray lived up to his reputation as a big-time performer when the lights go on. The sophomore turned in a remarkably efficient effort in a 42-16 rout of Montana on Saturday night at Neyland Stadium.

And as for that target number the Vols quarterback set, he was reminded of it the second he sat down for his news conference after carving up the Grizzlies.

"What was my completion percentage?" Bray asked, getting an answer that had a percentage point to spare — prompting a fist pump and a smile.

"That's good. I wasn't trying to get anybody off our back, we just needed to get out there and get a victory on the board, show people what we can do."

Bray had given more than just a glimpse last year when he entered the starting lineup as a freshman and promptly won his first four starts to help UT qualify for a bowl, but with great potential also comes some greater scrutiny.

The coaching staff has talked openly about Bray's need to develop into a leader in the huddle and the importance of devoting himself to studying both opposing defenses and the playbook, and the reviews have been positive lately. The results weren't necessarily showing up in the stats the program provided from its three scrimmages in training camp, but when it really counted, the sophomore picked up right where he left off a year ago.

Bray still took a couple deep shots, including the wide-open toss to Da'Rick Rogers off a flea flicker early in the first quarter to give the Vols their first touchdown of the season. It's those home-run balls down the field and his occasional willingness to take risks that might have made Bray's goal of completing 70 percent seem like a bit of a stretch, but against the Grizzlies he was largely in control and content to take what the defense gave him.

He hit running backs in the flat and let them create after the catch, like Marlin Lane did with his 9-yard touchdown catch. Bray took advantage of short routes on the outside to move the chains and was accurate on throws over the middle, putting a bullet on Justin Hunter that sprung him for an 81-yard score later in the opening quarter.

And it all added up to an efficient 17-of-24, 293-yard outing for Bray, giving him a tidy 71 percent completion percentage — and another win.

"I think it's (different in a) game," Hunter said. "You're going to play fast. You're more excited in a game, so you're just going to turn it on from there.

"(Bray) has a lot of confidence now, and he trusts me and Da'Rick more to give us the ball. I think his completion percentage is going to be real high."

It could have been even higher if not for a couple drops on catchable balls, but there also were a few throws Bray would have liked to have had back.

Twice he tried to fit balls into tight spaces for tight end Mychal Rivera that were picked off. Neither actually counted against the Vols thanks to pass interference calls against the Grizzlies, but they perhaps offered reminders that Bray still is not a finished product.

"Tyler did a good job, he did," UT coach Derek Dooley said. "He was poised out there. There are still some plays he could have done better. For the most part he managed the game very well. The two picks he threw, one it looked like it was going to be fine and they hit Rivera. One was kind of a gift, wasn't a good throw.

"But he's got pretty good numbers here."

They don't look like the ones Bray posted in training camp. But they matched up perfectly with what he was expecting of himself.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vollerdash writes:

T.B looked sharp,stats should have been better as he had at least two drops.Just hope the line play gets better.......... T.B will lead the S.E.C in passing yards , BOOK IT !!

Huttdawg100 writes:

He definitely looked the part.

BlueHound writes:

The kid has a freakin' cannon for an arm for sure. He still needs to improve his mechanics, but his release is quick and the ball fairly leaps out of his hand. Whether he can learn to harness his arm or he takes it for granted and mis-uses it remains to be seen. He has the tools, does he have the drive and determination?

OrangePsyched writes:

We'll need those 42 pts. next week. We will do what we need and will be 2-0 heading to the swamp.

keepitreal4vols writes:

And ZERO throat slashes.

lguy (Inactive) writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

And ZERO throat slashes.

yeh but he did have the "buh-bye" wave. Bush league. I don't know why Dooley doesn't put a stop to it. We are Tennessee, not cocky jackasses.

murrayvol writes:

He's a gamer. He'll need to be in the next 2.

VolsToTheWall writes:

Tyler Brays tats Show up when it counts??

vol4good#206163 writes:

in response to Others_Not_Receiving_Votes:

I disagree, North Carolinas Defense was good! And I like the LoCo BS! Shows some cockeness this team neads! You really dont sound like much of a Tn fan to me! All SEC Teams play patsy teams in the begining of the year!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

He has a cannon. His mechanics have improved and will get better every week. Remember Peyton had happy feet and we all fretted about that.....But he throws a rope. And Justin and Da'Rick, and I think 3 or 4 more, can't wait to do it again. If we have an offensive track meet next weekend, we will have a decent chance against Florida. No press clipping reading though. I've been through years of that with the Cowboys....Whether you like him or not, take the Michael Irvin approach to practice and the games. Always on. And don't take the Michael Irvin approach off the field....Late....

Rebelsfball2008 writes:

in response to lguy:

you know to be totally honest i dont mind a little confidence/swagger coming from the team ( as long as it doesn't get out of hand aka throat slash) i like the fact the team displays a bit of a confidence...because that means the players are confident and to be honest i would take a slightly over confident group of guys that think they can win and beat ppl over a group of guys who dont show any emotion at all after a big play who lose...

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Just so we're clear....When I talk about happy feet, what I mean is that there will be dissection of the quarterback play, and it can be much ado about nothing, such as was the case with Peyton...Tyler had a good outing...

posivol writes:

in response to Others_Not_Receiving_Votes:

well then why dont you just take your d.a. back to your teams board and stfu around here.

its a game d.a. and hes having fun!

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to Others_Not_Receiving_Votes:

No one cares what you would be concerned about.

You are a grown man trolling another team's web site, chastising them for being immature. Shouldn't you be concerned with your own level of maturity...or is the hypocrisy first thing on the agenda?

I gave advance credit for both the 'grown' and 'man' description. Neither of those have been proven yet.

iowavol writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

exactly. He was coached that way and now people model him - he's always got his feet set perfectly when he chooses his target.

As for Bray, the only thing he needs to improve is limiting the high risk throws WHEN there is a lower risk opportunity wide open. He does this, and this offense will start to really click, including the running game.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

That "happy feet" BS about Peyton, was all started by one ESPN Announcer! He got on that happy feet horse and road it forever! In my opinion might have cost Peyton the Heisman, with all of his nick-picking. Just my two cents.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to lguy:

Yeah god forgive a 20 year old kid get excited about his buddy scoring a td. Gimmie a break, 90+ thousand had no with it. Harmless

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Off subject I hope you people will allow me to rant a minute..It will apply to UT fans also. The new "Lightning rule" is going to destroy College Football in viewer ratings and ticket sales. At least 6 games were delayed this weekend due to a storm in the area. So now as a fan (WVU vs Marshall) I watch the game for 3 quarters only to see the game delayed for 5 hours and eventually stopped short at the 10 minute mark. Thus the game does not count on the Vegas Board because it must go 55 minutes to be a paid wager. Even worse is how do fans now plan expensive family trips to see their team play if there is a chance of a storm in the area. This could also eventually effect season ticket sales if enough games are delayed during a year. The West Coast will not suffer like the South and Mid West as storms are not as frequent. I like the old system of common sense over this madatory 30 minute delay after any lightning strike within 6 miles of a stadium. Basicly rain games are a thing of the past. Thus College Football is now a baseball style event. It will cost TV advertisers tons of money and this may be where we catch a break and the rule is thrown out. If TV revenue suffers, something will happen.
On subject Bray had a great game.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Patient...I just looked at some of your past posts....244 times you have taken the time to blast us. We must have really gotten under your skin by beating that Florida hide.....I like that....

alfrizzle097 writes:

in response to lguy:

Because a cocky jack would never imply that his school affiliation made him somehow superior to those affiliated with different schools.

Not saying you're a jerk, I'm just saying that sort of logic is a conceit at its finest.

volsfan74 writes:

1st of all some on here are ragging the O-Line, they did a good job the RB's have got to hit the hole quicker. I love Tauren Poole he is absolutely a great Ambassador for UT but his problem in the backfield has ALWAYS been he dances and studders in the backfield he has to hit the gap fast and hard. Again I love T.P. but I think if he would do that some of those 3 yd runs would be 5 and 6 yds gains. Also on one of the sacks they got on Bray he should have thrown the ball into the 20th row and huddled back up for another play.

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Sir it has nothing to do with making me happy, I hate when governing bodies make up rules with no stats to back them up. I have been watching football for 50 years and have never seen a fan or player killed by lightning. Yes it can happen, but so can hitting the powerball. Its a million times more dangerous driving to the game than the chance of lightning killing you. Plus where do the fans go when the place is evacuated? They can be struck just as easily outside the stadium. Not really sure why you are so hostile to a discussion of this nature.
On topic UT opens as a 6.5 point favorite over Cinn.

MusicCityVol writes:

Bray looked great. A couple of his deep out routes were NFL throws. As long as he's smart about when to take shots and when not to then I think he'll be really good this season. Our running game? That's a different story...

Montana Game Commentary

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Sir I didnt join this board to make people mad and I will gladly leave if asked. First off I played College Football and I can tell you five hours after a game you are hurting badly. Lactic acid builds up in the sore muscles, and the bruises start to slow you down. You now ask college kids to sit 5 hours like in WV yesterday and then come back out cold and turn it on. Watch the hamstring injuries go through the roof and watch cold QB's injure their arms. Plus you change everything about the game. Tired teams are now rested, and some slightly injured players may return. Its just one big dissaster. If lightning scares you so much maybe they should just cancell the game, instead of risking injuries to cold sore players and possibly changing entire seasons. I notice you didnt quote stats on how many college football players have played in the rain and how many have been struck by lightning.(maybe 1 in 10 million odds or more) Plus I didnt say never suspend play, I just said let the officails make the call, not a mandated 30 minute stoppage after every strike within 6 miles. Maybe we should outlaw driving as millions are killed each year on our highways..Im not here to make people mad, and Im not sure why you are so dead set on being angry. I would suggest you never take a cruise because some sink and sharks do eat people.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Georgia's uniforms looked sickening. I thought they had tradition until I saw those freaky things. I knew Oregon has no tradition. Oregon use to have green and yellow as their colors; now it may be anything, like neon and grey. Stupid. Tennessee has tradition, like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Texas, Southern Cal and a few others. Don't change traditional uniforms.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

You're obviously not one of the Gator fans on here. I wish they would leave when asked

HtownVol writes:

in response to volsfan74:

I have the game DVR'd and have rewatched the O-Line...They were BAD!
Montana has size but they have 15-20% (at most) of the talent we will face vs Bama and most of the SEC.
There were NO holes for the RBs to hit. I saw maybe a handful of plays where there was a TINY hole and by time the RB had the ball that hole was gona and there was 10-12 6'3 275 big boys alljammed together in front of the RB.
On the other hand, I saw more than a couple plays that when all those uglies were locking arms and bear hugging, the RB had WIDE OPEN field to the outside and could have had 10+ yards but he chose to gather wih the big boys.
I know the call may have been to hit a hole in the middle but "vision" is a great attribute in a RB and I saw a lack of it.
Although Lane was impresssive whenhe had to make some moves. I think #4 will have UT fans cheering the next 4 years much more than the #4 did the past 4 years.

in response to Navalorange:

I dont really know why my post has been met with such hostilty, I just found this place 4 days ago. Im confused..Most likely I will go elsewhere as this board has too much hostility. Good Luck to UT on a great season. I hope UT never gets a delay of 5 hours and then you lose a Tyler Bray because he tears a hamstring. Its too risky to ask kids to lay around hurting for hours then come back at full speed. If lightning is that bad, then everyone just go home. Hope you all have a good Holiday..Im gone

charlyand#601962 writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Oregon has the ugliest uniforms in the world and Georgia gave them a run for their money. Hideous!! Leave Tennessee's traditions and their traditional uniforms alone!

CroKev writes:

I must say that it is a pleasure to read the posts of "ProfessionalHandicapper" and "TweetDriver." Both of you add good insight and argue by means of facts (imagine that!).I hope you both will continue to post because I always learn something when you do. In addition, your posts are civil, even in the face of incivility, which I think is always welcome.

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Sir I said three times I didnt like stupid mandated rules where common sense goes out the window. I said I like the old rule of officials stopping play that has worked perfectly for years in high school and College. Do you understand the new rule is a mandatory 30 minute delay if 1 strike occurs in a 6 mile radius. One lightning strike is hardly a Tornado or Hurricane as you suggested in your reply. People have used common sense for years on when to get out of the rain. Mandated rules have no leaway .There can be a storm 6 miles away going the wrong direction and you risk injuries to students athletes for no reason by sitting them down for an hour or so. If the weather is dangerous do what is necessary. But Im telling you right now, I will not drive 100 miles with my family, spend at least 300$ on tickets,gas and food, if there is even a chance of a storm, not to mention sitting in traffic for hours each way just to get evacuated into an open street like at ND on Saturday. I like the Andy Griffith method of enforcement known as common sense. If people were getting hurt in the old method I would agree, but there are no stats to back up the mandate. Have a good day

in response to Tweetdriver63:

I have no problem with stopping a game if a strike is right outside a stadium. But the rule says 6 miles. We in the south know small thunderstorms pop up often in areas of a town all the time. So if lightnng strikes out at West Town Mall area one time, Ut players and fans must run for cover and fans on TV change channels. You cant make rules that will make people 100% safe. I have no problem with stopping play, but this rule has huge flaws that will see games stopped all the time in the heat of the fall, especially in states like Florida. And if a fan was struck after the game was stopped that proves my point even more. The rule didnt work. Like I said sending 80,000 people out on the streets will not stop the lightning or stop the threat. Another thing you will never see a MLB pitcher go through a two hour rain delay and come back and pitch. Yet we are going to ask College QB's to come back and risk arm injury. Like I said, and the WVU incedent proves it, if its so bad the game must be stopped, then go home. Six games were stopped in week one, gut used to 5 hour games over the 6 mile radius rule

JungleVOL writes:

in response to slaw_way:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

I am leaving.. I just had a nice discussion of different oppinions and was enjoying hearing each person speak their mind on a subject. The more brains in a decision is a good thing, so while I said my peace I also enjoyed hearing all the oppinions. As far as you calling me names, I have no idea what or why you are doing so. If it makes you happy then call me anything you like.. I just had a few hours to waste on a slow Monday, now I will leave the board to you folks. Why Brett? just curious.

in response to CroKev:

Thank You sir. I have said nothing deragatory toward the University of Tennessee or the team. I even predicted a win in my first post, which was a no brainer. From what I'm gathering I stepped into a firestorm because my screen name seems to offend some people. I enjoy the views of most everyone, and I put no anger in a post or reply. Maybe the rain ruined some peoples plans and they are angry. Have a good one.

Pompey writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

....Milton is not making it at Tennessee for what ever reason. Problem is that better talent is coming....a transfer might be a good move after the season.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

On subject Bray had a great game.

Yeah, I agree with you. I had 2 wins declared "no bet" because of shortened games. I wouldn't be female dogin' so bad if it had been 2 losses. But man, 2 wins hurts the old percentages ATS...

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

I actually live much closer than 100 miles from UT and I have been at West Town Mall many times. Sorry I can't understand your reference..Anyway to things of importance, UT plays at 3:30 on ESPN2 TV Saturday and they opened at a 6.5 point favorite. I will be back Friday with my humble oppinion. Have a good week.

keviningeorgia writes:

Smell a troll there, SpongeBob? I reviewed some post history a minute ago and kinda get the same vibes.

While PH's posts were pleasant in tone, it is a little strange that he mentioned the same concerns in 4 seperate posts. Those being:
1) UT not outscoring Montana by a large enough margin in the second half.
2) The coaching staff didn't seem to make enough adjustments at halftime.
Neither of which concerns me for several reasons.

in response to keviningeorgia:

1) UT not outscoring Montana by a large enough margin in the second half.
2) The coaching staff didn't seem to make enough adjustments at halftime.
Neither of which concerns me for several reasons.

Yes I did mention those concerns. I see some worry in the fact UT scored only 7 points on offense in the second half vs a tired undermanned team. You didnt mention the fact I said UT might be hiding most of the offense with a nice lead and that the passing game was an A rating. Last year as you know UT did fold in the second half of many big games, so I said I would watch with curiosity during the Cinn game where the teams are closely matched. It was not fair to access the staff vs Oregon or bama last year, but Cinn will be of interest to me. I never once bashed any aspect of the team or coaching staff, I just p[ointed out a bad stat, and said I would watch with caution until I see UT come out and in the second half and whip a team off adjustments in a fair environment of talent. Thats not being a jerk, thats just what I do. I also said Im not a fan of any team. Including UT. Once you become a fan or a hater in my profession, its time to quit. Thanks for your accesment and please overlook all the bad grammar in my post, I never spell check.

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Thank You Sir.I have never been hit by a door when leaving in my 50+ years of life that I can remember, and I will make a special effort today to do the same. :)

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to Shake_Bake:

That ESPN announcer was probably a former QB that is jealous that he can't throw the ball with pin-point accuracy like Peyton can! He makes certain throws every single game that makes me shake my head in disbelief and ask, "How did he do that?" He may not have as many rings as Brady, but I still would pick him first if I were starting a team! Brady benefitted from dominant defenses unlike Peyton and the Colts! I think history will have him at the top in years to come! He definitely was ripped in the Heisman voting!

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

That makes 5 times.

My observation wasn't directed towards your evaluation. My observation was more pointed to your repeating a couple of particular critisms of the UT team in a number of different posts. Just seemed strange that you repeated yourself several times is all.

How did you do this week? I've only fed the vig with about 100 hours of work. Opening week only taught me that I don't know much...

in response to keviningeorgia:

That makes 5 times.

I did good. I only played LSU plus the 3. LSU was 12-0 vs Pac-12 teams coming in. I'll admit I was shocked Oregon State lost to Sacramento State. Yesterday I liked Marshall in that rivalry +23 points. Here is a stat of intrest this weekend. The Colts allowed an average of 24 points per game scored on their defense vs division teams. That means Manning has to score 4 TD's every game in division. Without Manning I think the Colts will struggle to score that 24+ points. The Texans have added two good defensive backs to go with an already good D Line. The Titans will be much better with Hasselbeck running the offense, and we saw the Jags match the Colts the second half of the season last year. Unless Manning comes back quick and at 100% I say the Texans win the AFC South. But things change weekly, just a preseason prediction. Have a good one.

VolzsFan writes:

I love how all of you are tossing this boy's salad and all he has played was about 5 of the worst teams in all of college football, a D1AA and a 500 ACC team that he lost to. Seriously, if he can do anything and remain upright against the SEC Elite we can talk. Until than?????? STFU!!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to JungleVOL:

Vol doorknob homer. I guess he forgot the KMart black jerseys.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Such menapausal rants. I'd swear you're my sister-in-law except she can spell better than you. What's with the negative sensitivity? Where did you play college football? Geez! I smell a rat or, in your case, a mousey.

in response to sameolvolalum:

APSU sir, nothing like the kids in the SEC go through. I agree the older I get my spelling gets worse. It's amazing I once could spell pretty well. My menapausal rant comes from 4 years of abuse on the College field. As a player I cant imagine sitting down 5 hours after a tough hiting game and then trying to play again at that high level like WVU and Marshall did yesterday. They need a time limit on these rain delays. It was rediculous as those players were warming up at 2pm and the game ended at 10pm. Thats asking too much and I promise that many hours after 3 quarters of hard hits you need a whirlpool not to go back out and play. Wait and see if this continues you will see many kids hurt coming out cold and stiff. I quess you can call me Mickey or Minny which ever makes you feel like you inflicted your dominance over my post. Have a great day.

GONAVY writes:

I posted earlier on another article by Strange that Montana was a glorified scrimmage. With 9 in the box the secondary was easy pickin's and UT had superior WR talent to exploit Montana's DB's. This game helped UT with routes and timing and they did extremely well. Cincinnati, however, brings a huge difference in athleticism. They will not put 9 in the box to plug the run. They'll play with a normal front 7. This will provide a much better barometer to measure Bray, the receivers and oddly enough, the running game; consider this: with 9 men stacked up front, the running game will suffer. Against a normal front 7, UT will see if their running game has improved. I was not at the game. I've spoken to two friends who were. Both basically felt even with Montana's stacked front that UT's line looked lethargic- weren't agressive and couldn't push Montana off the LOS. That could hurt against Cincinnati. UT has opened up a 6.5 point favorite. That's probably a good guess.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

.......and you played 4 years of college football for whom? Now I smell a MOLE. Brett, is that you?