Vols headed for deeper water against Cincinnati's offense

How the Vols spent a rain delay

The Tennessee defense dipped its toe into the water against a spread attack to open the season.

Now the Vols (1-0) are diving into the deep end.

After struggling to keep its head above water against up-tempo, versatile offenses a year ago, UT handled one with relative ease in a lopsided win over the weekend against Montana. But the degree of difficulty is going up dramatically with Cincinnati (1-0) coming to Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.), because while the Bearcats may run a similar scheme, they're operating it with much better personnel.

"Cincinnati runs a lot of the same plays, but they run it a little better than Montana does," defensive tackle Daniel Hood said Monday. "From watching film, it looks like they have a few better athletes and it's going to be a good matchup for us.

"I think last week is going to help us a lot. They run the offense about the same tempo that Montana did, so now we've got that game in and our body is conditioned to that. ... I don't know if we'll have to change too much defensively, because a lot of the elements of it are the same. It's just, they run it better."

That should come as no surprise given the talent disparity between even a respected member of the Football Championship Subdivision and a program that has been to a pair of Bowl Championship Series games over the past three years.

The Bearcats struggled a bit under new coach Butch Jones last season, but putting impressive numbers on the board wasn't really a problem for them. Cincinnati scored at least 29 points in half of its games last season, and it has six seniors back this fall for an offense that opened its slate by lighting up Austin Peay for 72 points over the weekend.

Like the Vols, the Bearcats should be facing much stiffer competition on Saturday as well. And while UT showed some clear improvement tackling in space, reading the keys critical to slowing down a spread offense and handling its assignments, a truer test of its progress defensively is looming.

"I feel like we improved from a year ago, but there are a lot of scary things that you see," Vols coach Derek Dooley said. "The better the team is, the more you get exposed. Sometimes things look good, but then you go, 'Uh-oh.' The other team is looking at it and going, 'Oh, wow, there's an opportunity there.'

"So, we're going to find out how we can really handle the spread this week, because these guys are really good. I mean, even last year with the (4-8) season that they had — first-year coach, lot of change, always difficult — they had Oklahoma beat. Scoring was not the issue. They score a lot of points. You put 72 up, I don't care who you're playing, that's a lot of points."

Aside from one blown coverage that produced a long Montana touchdown and another late drive that ended in the end zone against the backups, the Vols didn't allow many scoring chances in the season opener despite starting three true freshmen on defense and bringing another off the bench.

But the Grizzlies also aren't likely to draw many comparisons with the Bearcats beyond their style of play, which could force those young UT defenders and even the holdovers that struggled at times last season to grow up quickly.

"The hardest part about playing against this offense is you're sort of out-leveraged," safety Prentiss Waggner said. "They have a two-way go on you and the ball is always in the perimeter, so you have to play sound-technique ball, be on the same page. If one guy chooses one direction and you both get out-leveraged, there can be a big pop.

"I think we made a lot of significant improvement from last year ... but this week it's going to be that much more of a challenge given that Cincinnati has a few more athletes on the team."

Sink or swim, the Bearcats certainly seem to have enough talent to help the Vols figure out how much better they might actually be.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mdvol writes:

It will be fun to watch our speedy linebackers shut down the spread for once. Good practice for Demps and Rainey.

VOLS start the season 4-0! (Georgia 0-2)

pingkr62 writes:

I'm looking forward to the game against Cincy. This will be a much tougher test than Montana. Overall, I was pleased with the effort the defense displayed and Tyler Bray, Da'rick Rodgers, Justin Hunter and Marlin Lane were the high lights of the Montana game. This will be a great tune-up for Florida. G.B.O.!!!

keepitreal4vols writes:

Personally, I am looking ahead to Florida. Just hope our players are not.

ThaiVolFan writes:

I'm just glad that we are playing a better opponent so that we will have a national spotlight for the first time this year. Hope that we show strong on ESPN2, from the crowd in Neyland to the players and coaches on the field. I want to see a team that rises to the occasion and performs well under pressure. We need the resurgent Vol program to show up before a national audience on Saturday. GBO!

tdforvols writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

BleednUrnge81 writes:

i think cincy will be tougher than we all thought, but we will pull out the dub. I also think they will be ranked by the end of the year as well. I dont like to look ahead, but i think florida will be in for a surprise.

VolGrad writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

OLBs, A J Johnson and Curt Maggitt: 4.6 40
MLB Austin Johnson: 4.6 40

Of course, it is really about angles.

OrangePsyched writes:

We could have scored 72 on a way better Montana team if we had kept throwing. We do need to run the ball better but our offense is is more explosive than UC. Just one more game against a spread offense to prepare us to administer the proper but whuppin on those gators.

ThaiVolFan writes:

I for one was not able to watch last weeks game, only had bumbling Bob to listen to. Looking forward to watching this years team for the first time so as to get a proper reading on our talent and level of play. I am holding my opinions about this years team until after the Cincinnati game. I still don't think anyone has a real good feel for this team after the first game. We are all about to find out this Saturday. First televised game and first real opponent...now I'm pumped! GBO!

Mtnbiker writes:

What loser spends 20 minutes commenting on one story on another teams fan site? Wow, I'm really sorry you have no life. Perhaps if you go out of your mother's basement you might have some friends to talk to instead.

kcbigorngX writes:

You're not a loser just because you are a troll.

You're a loser cause all the people you consider friends laugh at you behind your back.

I'm not just playing.

xvolx writes:

Our off. line couldn't hold a block in the running game. Bullard consistently got pushed into Tenn. backfield. He probably would be better at center. At 309 appears too small for guard. Lets give Schofield at 333 a chance. Montana kept bringing safety up on running plays. That's why they got burned in the passing game. Bray should have checked out of run several times. I'm sold on Bray's arm. Haven't seen too many QB's that can throw 30 yards on a string. This kid is the real deal.

GONAVY writes:

Hood and Waggner "a few better athletes"...you take that attitude into this game and you will get beat. There is a huge difference in the athletic abilities between Montana and Cincinnati...and more than "a few". I trust Dooley will have UT not of that mindset come kickoff.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Ok guys here is my honest pick for the game. I know this will make me very unpopular, but my job is not a popularity contest. I am in no way bashing UT or its future, so feel free to bash me if Im wrong. With total respect I take ..
Cinn +6
The Vols enter Saturdays contest with an offensive line still in transition that has allowed 44 sacks the last 1+ years including 3 sacks allowed vs Montana. Tyler Bray is a stationary QB with a nice passing arm, but he will be pressured in this contest. Cinn was 119th in turnovers last year which led to the bad record, but they are out to prove it was a fluke. Bearcats' nifty sr. dual threat QB Zach Collaros, versatile RB Isaiah Pead & sure-handed WR DJ Woods do some business vs. young UT defense missing hard-to-replace FS Janzen Jackson. With CB Battle back for the Bearcats after missing all of last year, Cinn returns all 11 starters on the defensive side of the ball. One of the best handicapping tools early in College Football is returning starters. The Vols face this experienced defense with two young WR's, a very limited running game, and a young QB with a very unproven OL in front of him. Not only do I like the 6 points with the dog, I like Cinn to roll out of Knoxville with an outright win of 7 points or more. The Vols are running head first into a buzzsaw with too many holes to fill this quickly. I love the 11 returning starters on defense compared to a new DL and two true freshman LB's at UT.. Cinn by 7.

Sorry Vol fans but this is my honest oppinion. Good Luck and remember, dont shoot the messanger.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Hey darlin' he wasn't replying to you....So you spoke when not spoken to. Your buddy wdd7inarow was his target. Not lil 'precious' according to mama.

On topic,this game is a tossup with so many questions still unanswered. I'll be there pulling for Smokey to tree that bearcat...

Vol43 writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

How about Mr. Precious.

MidTennVol writes:

What I'm impressed with in this article: Austin Ward's development as a reporter/writer.

Great job, Austin. As they say, "significant improvement over last season."

Keep at it.

TKG_VOL writes:

Think Vols can handle Cinci but the running game has got to improve somehow. I thought Georgia's new uniforms were the ugliest I had ever seen until I watched the Maryland-Miami game last night. Maryland's uniforms were ridiculious. If Tenn ever does something like that I will (can't say.) And the Boise St. shoes looked like a bunch of flags on the field dancing around. Good Grief where are they getting these uniforn designers?

brokendownoldvol writes:

Austin Peay doesn't even give football scholarships.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Austin Peay doesn't even give football scholarships.

Austin Peay starting giving sholarships again in 2007 and rejoined the OVC. I played football there in the early 90's just before they stopped in 1995. I posted a complete history on APSU yesterday and said Montana was worlds ahead of Peay.

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Cinn +6

I am sure they are better than last years 4-8 team but you have to admit your pick is for the underdog. That is ok, but UT should win this game. However, we should take this game as serious as any we have on the schedule. Can they beat us? Absolutely. Will they beat us? I don't think so. That is what is fun about the game! We will see on Saturday. Good luck Cinn fan!

hueypilot writes:

in response to Navalorange:

You might be right in your characterization of PH, but if his research is correct (I don't have the time or inclination to comfirm his info) then playing against a defense of 11 returning starters with all those freshmen and sophs is a challenge. However, we have home field, we will be playing our second game, and we will open up the playbook. Vols win, maybe don't cover, but win.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Look I dont know why people on here keep calling me Brett. I in no way discredited Dooley with my write up and prediction. I'm not here to fight or cause trouble but I will say my honest oppinion. I could care less if you disagree but sir please be respectful like I was. I could care less about being called names but why two people have called me Brett is confusing. I said UT was not ready at this point of developement, please explain how that is a discredit to anyone. It's very simple sir, 2 freshman linebackers vs a quick mobile senior QB with experinced weapons is too much to ask. And until UT can protect the QB and run the football I will not be foolish and say otherwise. Why don't you save your insults until after the game then if I'm wrong I will stand here like a man and take the abuse. Until then I say have a good day and quit being so hostile over other peoples oppinions. It just that Sir, and oppinion. I will not fight with you so this is my last reply to this nonsense.

SoddyVol writes:

Vols should handle Cinci ok. However, they better learn how to secure the ball. Vols will get a much better test against the run this game but I expect Cinci to try a good many passes early.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to UTVOL2001:

Thank You and good luck to the Vols,I'm not a Cinn fan or a fan of any team. I did go to and play for APSU but that has no effects on my job. You are right, if Cinn goes back to the turnover problems from last year UT can win. But so far UT is the team with 6 fumbles in game one. You are right it's fun and every oppinion is of value. Good luck to you also

Pompey writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

...if UT could find a running game this one might not be close......

tdforvols writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

TN by double digits......Book it!

treytn writes:

in response to UTVOL2001:

Just the fact that many fans are looking at a 4-8 team from last year having a chance to beat us is what concerns me. I know on any given day, blah, blah, blah......but after Saturday's struggles for our offensive line to open holes against Montana, I think many are having doubts about us beating Cincy. How sad!!!!!
I say if we we can't beat Cincy by 17 points, we're going to be in for a very long season.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Thank you. My students have to serve a detention for using that term. Stay classy Vol Nation!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to TKG_VOL:

Nike is responsible for the Georgia and Boise St. stuff, blame Under Armour for Maryland.

Actually the ugliest unis I've ever seen have to be the ones Va. Tech wore against Boise last season. Remember those. Once again, Nike must take responsibility. Those things looked like what happens when a kid goes off to college and does his own laundry for the first time.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to TheBlue:

If you feel UT will lose Saturday to a mid-level Big East team, where will the other 6 wins come from? You must be including wins over some pretty prominent SEC schools after a loss to Cincy. If we can't win Saturday, we will need a pretty decent SEC upset to make 6 wins, two of them to make 7. And if we lose at home Saturday, I wouldn't automatically count Vandy and Kentucky (road) as guaranteed wins either. No, I think this game is as crucial to Dooley's long-term goals as any we've played so far. Lose it and most fans will wonder if we are actually any better in year 2 - not the sentiment Dooley and company are looking for at this point. I'm not saying it can't happen but you have to admit, losing at home to Cincy will make 7 wins seem a LONG way away. Go Vols!!!

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Here is a free copy and paste from the 'Gold Sheet"
Cincinnati 28 - TENNESSEE 24--After LY's disappointing, mistake-filled 4-8 campaign (29 giveaways; 119th in TO margin), Cincy ready to show 2010 was an aberration in early litmus test at Knoxville. Bearcats' nifty sr. dual threat QB Zach Collaros, versatile RB Isaiah Pead & sure-handed WR DJ Woods do some business vs. young UT defense missing hard-to-replace FS Janzen Jackson (suspended). Meanwhile, Vols' stationary, 6-6 soph QB Tyler Bray, operating behind a still-suspect OL (44 sacks L1+Ys; 3 vs. Montana) might not go wild vs. well-organized Bearcat "D" (all 11 starters back), fortified by return of previously-injured CB Battle (sidelined most of LY). TV-ESPN2 (DNP...SR: Tenn. 4-1)

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to xvolx:

I don't think they wanted Bray to check out of their running plays, especially in the second half when the game was no longer in doubt. I watched it start to finish and there was definitely something very plain and yet determined about the way Chaney called the run game. I hope, hope, hope what we saw Saturday was a glorified practice session and we unwrap the real offense this week. I agree, Bullard got manhandled several times by a bullrush from a guy 25 pound lighter than he. The whole O-line will benefit from another year in the weight room with the new strength coach. Schofield is bigger for sure but had a lot of trouble last year with his zone blocking assignments and tended to be standing alone, looking around while his QB was eating dirt. Might be worth a try though considering how badly Bullard kept getting beat. If FCS DT's can push him backwards, what will guys on BCS AQ teams do? I don't really want to find out! Go Vols!!!

treytn writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

We should win 8 games with our schedule - NO EXCUSES! If we lose to Cincy, and end up 7-5 or 6-6, Dooley will start feeling a lot of heat. I just don't see us losing to the cubs.....we'll win by at least two touchdowns!

ICECOLDVOL writes:

Vol fans i wish there was a different way to come out of the T during home games...I have a great idea in my head. Would love to see it used one day. It would generate more buzz and excitement at home i feel...

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

You got my vote. This is really a must win for CDD else his ratiings will drop and at least two SEC underdog wins will be needed to show improvement over last year. I hope the OLINE coach has the boys pushing cars up hills this week.

hikerdude writes:

Before the Montana game I thought we would be 6-6 with an outside chance of 7-5. Now I think we will be 6-6 with an outside chance of 5-7. Our Dline, Oline and running backs are just are not SEC quality YET. Dooley needs one or two more years.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to hikerdude:

Maybe, but don't you think our younger players will be much improved from 1st to 2nd game?

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to treytn:

I hope you're right about 8 wins but that means, I'm assuming, you feel we will/should win two of these three games: Florida in Gainesville, or Georgia/South Carolina at home, in addition to Saturday and the other non-con patsies plus Vandy/Kentucky ( further assuming that beating Bama or Arkansas on the road or LSU at home are even less likely). That's a tall order my friend. I was merely making the point that a loss to Cincy would make those other conference wins seem even less likely, wouldn't you agree? I won't make excuses for Dooley or our Vols but I really think it will be next year before the real improvement, if there is going to be any under Dooley, will become obvious. Watching the Montana game, I saw some improvement over last year's efforts - this week will clear things up a lot more. We didn't get into this mess in just 2 years and no coach could drag us all the way out in that amount of time either. I hope you're right but I think another bowl game would be a good start towards the consistency Dooley is looking for as we improve. If we make that, I'll be happy to wait until year 3, when any potential "excuses" are no longer reasonable. Go Vols!!!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Should easily win all 4 non-conf games. Then you have Kentucky and Vandy. ANYBODY could coach 6 wins in those games. This is Dooley's second year so improvement should be seen from last yr's 6-6 regular season especially when we don't play an Oregon team. Between Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Arkansas we should be able at least to split those and go 2-2. That gives you 8 wins. I agree with the 8 win expectations. I doubt we can beat LSU or Bama so I expect to lose those games.
At some point people have to quit saying "wait till next year". That's a cop out! Look at the SEC coaches that took over bad programs and EASILY turned things around by the second year. A couple of them winning a Nat'l Championship their second year.

in response to ICECOLDVOL:

If you've got a way to beat the thrill of watching the Vols enter the field through the T, I would surely love to hear it! Don't make a statement like that and leave us hanging! I get chills every time I watch the team enter through the T. I'm an old guy, so I'm not sure I could survive anything more exciting than that(;-P)!

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

I went ahead and did my homework on UT early. I have no control over the "Gold Sheet" I just pay for it and 10 other sheets each week. I thought some people might enjoy the free info I pay $200 a year for on this sheet. I was going to post Phil Steeles Power Sweep, Marc Lawrences Playbook newsletter and BMS SEC Power Plays tommorow when they come out. But since they offend you I will pass. I promise I will not be back until Saturday or Sunday thsi week as Im too busy to play. Anyway you might enjoy my upset of the week.

Penn State +10
Alabama enters as a 10 point favorite but things didnt go smoothly vs over matched Kent State. Saban has been furious over his OL play and their All-SEC running back had only 39 yards rushing. Bama also gave up 4 int's in game one. Last yea...r Penn States QB was a true freshman and the Bama defense ate him up when he threw 2 ints. & completed just 13 of 29 passes.This year he is seasoned and ready to make amends for his poor showing. Penn State has a much bigger and quicker DL than last year also. Bama may hang on, but Paterno is dead set for revenge. Last week I had S Florida as my upset special, this week I like the Lions to roar.
Have a great week Vol fans and best of luck.

treytn writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Hey genius.....reading and comprehending is fundamental.
Who said Dooley whould win the SEC this year? I said we should show improvement. We have 6 built-in gimmes thanks to Dooley begging Hamilton to drop North Carolina. Surely even you think he can improve on last years' 6-6 record?
You may not want to hold Dooley and his staff accountable and continue giving him passes but the majority of Tennessee fans won't. You can keep the battle cry "wait till next year" but it doen't hold water with reasonable and knowledgeable Tennessee fans. Expecting 8 victories this year is reasonable, just as expecting 10 wins next year and at least winning the SEC east is reasonable. If Dooley can't get it done, Mr. Hart will hire someone who can. Book it, naval!!!!!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Navalorange:

NO, you seem to be struggling quite a bit today in understanding. Trey's comments made perfect sense to me. Maybe you need to take some medication, then read his post again.....r e a l s l o w this time.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to treytn:

Hey genius.....reading and comprehending is fundamental.

You are dead on accurate, Trey. Improvements are expected this year in the program. No one is asking Dooley to win the SEC or the National Championship, because everyone knows he's not in the same league with the elite coaches of the SEC. But that doesn't excuse Dooley from being held accountable if the team doesn't improve. Tennessee doesn't play Oregon this year, and Dooley wanted to replace North Carolina with Buffalo (which is still embarrasing to our beloved program). A monkey could go 6-6 with this schedule, and I have more faith in Dooley than I do a monkey.

treytn writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Bettwer look outside, I hear there are black helicopters flying over your house. Hurry and put on your tin foil cap.

treytn writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Wrong! Dooley has already proven he's not in their league.

treytn writes:

in response to treytn:

That's hilarious. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for nasalorange or not. I think he's just a kid with too much time on his hands. Obviously he doesn't know anything about football, so maybe his self-esteem has been rocked by you and a few others who see matters for what they are. Anyway, he's good for a few laughs as he goes bonkers over everyone's posts. LOL

treytn writes:

in response to treytn:

Come on Naval, I posted this just for you and you haven't commented on it yet.

treytn writes:

in response to Navalorange:

You bit on it just exactly like I wanted you to.

Citizen's arrest! Citizen'a arrest! Citizen's arrest.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA