Vols relatively healthy heading into Cincinnati week

Derek Dooley breaks down the Vols' performance against Montana

Tennessee escaped its first game of the 2011 season with only one minor injury, coach Derek Dooley said at his weekly press conference today.

Defensive tackle Maurice Couch, who sat out most of the fourth quarter Saturday against Montana, is "day to day" with a sprained knee.

Defensive end Ben Martin, who was seen with a bag of ice on his ankle as he sat on the bench near the end of the game, said today he wasn't hurt, but was simply done for the game and was told to "ice it down."

"Everything's good," he said.

Dooley said freshman Devrin Young, who broke his collar bone in early August, will be re-evaluated next week. Young continues to catch punts at practice, but has yet to face contact.

Linebacker Herman Lathers recently had two screws removed from his broken left ankle and will likely be out for the next four to six weeks.

"We hope by the second half of the season he can come in and get back in it," Dooley said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TKO writes:

Hoepfully someone tells Poole the field is wider than ten feet. Need intensity.

mdvol writes:

Glad to see us injury free because we tackled a lot better than last year and overall looked more physical.

VOLS start the season 4-0! (Georgia 0-2)

UTbassdrummer writes:

Not what this story is about. Scroll up.

Way to stay healthy! Go vols!

SummittsCourt writes:

Outside of the win, that's the best news coming from this game.

With a team that is not deep on the depth chart staying injury free is key this season.

Go Vols!

UTbassdrummer writes:

(That was directed at TKO)

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Glad that Martin is okay and hope Couch will be ready Saturday! We need all those DL bodies to help everyone stay fresh! I noticed the improved tackling, also! Hope it continues against better opponents!

On another thought: When the Dawgs lose some more games and Richt gets fired, does anyone think they'll try to get another Dooley to follow in Dad's footsteps?

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Good news about Couch and Martin..I was a little concerned, especially about Martin under the circumstances..It was a good idea to take him out of the game and let him rest.

Smokey says he likes to hear news like this..

murrayvol writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

On another thought: No.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

Why Not? I sure woud, wouldn't you?

VolzsFan writes:

DD has a losing record overall, he has never beaten a team with a winning record (in FBS, he may have beaten a D1AA squad with one), never beaten a ranked team etc etc etc. Most of America jokes about us hiring that no one else would hire that. What reason would GA have to hire him? I guess he has proven so much.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to TKO:

Hoepfully someone tells Poole the field is wider than ten feet. Need intensity.

When the holes are there he's proven he can go. I doubt this is a Poole issue. Maybe someone should tell the Oline to move bodies for him.

Prostar writes:

I can't wait to see Devrin Young in action. I expect him to be dynamic fielding punts. Actually catching the ball and getting some yardage will be great.

tree_em_smokey writes:

I also think Cincy will be a challenge this weekend. I will be there cheering them on regardless of outcome. I'm thinking...
CU-24
UT-34

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Only a midget minded myopic pessimist would whine about what Dooley's done in his 18 months in Knoxville.

Bigger_Al writes:

I think Richt deserves to keep his job. Lose to Boise St. and then lose next game too? Sounds like Frank Beamer last season.

That said, makes more sense for Dawgs to go after Mushchomp.

VOLGrad00 writes:

I might be wrong, but I thought I read that UGA's current president is the same guy that fired Vince Dooley. If true, I don't see him going after Derek, or Derek wanting to go there.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

Jack, and fellow Vols,

You're correct Jack. Note how so many trolls adopt the "us and we" labels?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Gonna need a healthy defense against Cinncy..Collaros is every bit as good as Bray and Pead runs as well as Poole..I realize Austin Peay is one awful team but Cats((a passing team)) put up huge numbers on the ground..Bearcats are a mirror image of the VOLS..Very young last year and returning 16 starters..This isn't much different than playing GA..We should have decent film in which to prepare..Certainly ball control and controlling the line of scrimmage is important..Playing at home helps a lot ..We will get to see just how good Wilcox and Chaney really are in scouting this team ..For sure Chaney didn't show much of his play book in the Montana game..Bottom line the Oline and backs must dominate and the special teams must improve

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

Cincy worries me... I was not thoroughly impressed with our defense, and our offensive line looked suspect at best. I could see the Bearcats literally throttling us if we don't make the proper adjustments this week. I know that APSU is absolutely awful, but this is still an AQ team from the Big East. They returned 16 starters and have the leading rusher in the Big East returning. Needless to say, I'm very skeptical of a Vol victory next weekend, and even if we win, I don't feel like it will prove that much, it's just Cincy after all... Not trying to be negative, we just have a long way to go to reach the level that we all want. I'll very cautiously say UT 38 UC 35. Veeeery worried about this one.

movol77 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Stupid statement. That childishness will be over soon. What's next? DD hasn't won ten games in ten conferences over ten decades with ten-star athletes?

jjsteel writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

That said, makes more sense for Dawgs to go after Mushchomp.

agreed

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Since I played at Peay let me give you some insight. Peay was losing money so they dropped all football scholarships in 1995 to 2007. That means they have only 3 years of sholarship players. You can't build any program in three years from scratch. The Governors have been competing as a non-scholarship Division I-AA team, and had 17 straight losing seasons before a 7-5 record in 2003. Since leaving the OVC, Austin Peay went 25-62. Isaiah Pead ran for Cincinnati's first two touchdowns Saturday night, and Zach Collaros threw for the next four -- all in the first half -- leading the Bearcats to a 72-10 victory over Austin Peay. My point is Peay is so far below Montana making any comparisons good or bad would be useless. It's kinda of a wait and see at this point. You can argue all you like but there is no substance yet to either side. In retrospect UT does have a little more experience this year vs the speed they will see while Cinn has yet to see a real team. I love APSU but they are worlds behind in football at this point. Just my humble oppinion.

jimr07 writes:

in response to TKO:

Hoepfully someone tells Poole the field is wider than ten feet. Need intensity.

OK, coach. Why don't you call and tell him. He probably does not realize that.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Here,here,I'll second that.

jimr07 writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

Why would they? Derek has not proven himself yet, he did not graducate from Georgia and the way Ga. treaed his dad at the end, i would be surprised if he had any interest.

jimr07 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

good to see such a nice positive post about DD. You are a fan of who?

nyvols writes:

I am hearing rumors that we bought out of play Orgeon in 2013. What the hell are we doing? Are we scared to play them again?

VolzsFan writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

You funny!!! LOL!!!! I be liking that 7-7 record and recruiting virtually no one any of the SEC elite wanted.

As a former college and professional athlete, I run in circles you cannot even imagine. After your shift of changing oil and picking up paper in your community service, waddle into your trailer and bang out some other genius statement on sports. That would make you a typical UT fan otherwise known as the dumbest fanbase in America.

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

I don't have any special knowledge about this, but other posters have said that UGA did Vince Dooley wrong and that the family still holds it against them. In any case, Derek played at Virginia and, for that matter, Vince was an Auburn grad, so the family roots may not be as deep in Georgia as we may assume. Still, there may some reason for concern in that a successful coach will be approached by a LOT of other schools when they need a coach. It will be up to UT to show CDD how much he is appreciated here if he is as successful as most of us hope he will be.

in response to VolzsFan:

Who is this "us" of whom you speak? Do you really think anyone on this board thinks you are a VOL FAN? I agree that some of us may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but none of us is THAT stupid!

in response to GiveHim6TDTennessee:

I understand a certain amount of healthy concern, but you can't make Cincy out to be such a good team, which they may well be, and then turn around and say that "even if we win, I don't feel like it will prove that much". It may not PROVE much so early in the season, but surely a strong performance by the Vols against a far better opponent than Montana will be a good sign, if it happens. We won't know how good Cincy really is until the season plays out, however well the Vols do or don't play against them, but it will tell us something useful if the Vols improve in the weaker areas they showed last Saturday.

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I have relatives in Clarksville, so I knew APSU didn't have much of a record in football, but I guess I had forgotten that they had actually dropped the sport for awhile. I'm pretty sure Cincinnati knows that, so I'm also sure they know not to read too much into that game. I expect a battle on Saturday but I do think the Vols will prevail. However, I'm just a fan, not a professional handicapper(;-D)!

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to nyvols:

Its called expansion, every team will have to restructure the schedules when A&M and another join.

VolzsFan writes:

I hope Bray survives this one. I want him to run the gauntlet of SEC foes. I know he will not be standing for most of them. His run of playing the worst teams in college football are coming to an end. If he goes down by UC he will get martyred by all the necks. I need him standing there as the Gators go head hunting. Get lose Simms.

HillsVol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Wow! I'm impressed mighty one

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

No. They will call Tuscaloosa as fast as they can and hire Kirby Smart ASAP. Now that Muschamp, the only other prominent, up-and-coming Bulldog alum is out of the picture, Smart is their guy. He turned down head coaching jobs after last season - why? My guess is he saw the Richt derailment right around the corner and was willing to wait, all the while making a cool million as DC at Bama. This is not a knock on Dooley but first, he's at UT now with a chance for his own legacy; second, going to Georgia would put him in the nearly impossible situation of being compared to his legendary dad whom he could never eclipse; and third, they will want someone with more experience after the nightmares with Ray Goff and Jim Donnan, neither of whom had any real experience at the highest levels of a D-1 program. Dooley's not going anywhere for a while, unless of course Mr. Hart becomes dissatisfied..... Go Vols!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to GiveHim6TDTennessee:

First you say, "Cincy worries me" and then later on in your post,you say "it's just Cincy after all"..and then you stress again, that you are very worried..With all due respect,sir, either you're worried or you're not..

Smokey says UT 35 Cincy 21..

utvol1987 writes:

I think these idiots that keep talking sh** on here will shut up after we beat Cincinatti and Florida. Unfortunately they will come on here in force if we lose to either one so they can make themselves feel more important.

Col_Cathcart writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

Does no one else remember how UGA gave Vince the boot? That separation wasn't a mutual decision. I doubt CDD would have any desire to go there after that.

kyucat writes:

in response to Others_Not_Receiving_Votes:

I am not sure that Cincinnati will win or lose but I do know that the 2009 Sugar Bowl was a game that no team in the USA would have beaten Florida that night. Meyers last game, Tebow's last game. those two things made it a night for Florida. The Sugar Bowl score of 51 to 24 was bad for Cincy but don't forget UF beat UT 23 to 13 that same year. In 2007 UF 59 UT 20. So Tennessee history is really not that good either.

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Goofball? You know from the time he has gotten here DD has been nothing but a great coach. This post is about Dave Hart not Derek Dooley. Furthermore maybe this is the reason coaches would not come to Tennessee. Some of the fans are just amazing. Then there is people like you. We beat a fairly good football team 42-16 and you spew your sewer all over in places it should not even be!

DC_your_mom_called writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

You realize you are debating with a nerdy 15 year-old kid? zz only comes here trying to impress DC because it is the closest thing to a real friend he has. Unfortunately, even DC thinks he's a dork. (Though zz, you must be ecstatic that DC actually responded to one of your posts today! Hey, maybe he does really like you. Oooh! Go let your mom know you might have a friend afterall.)

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

So you back out of the only big non-conference game you have scheduled in 2013? Don't try to use the expansion as an excuse, they haven't even decided how many conference games each team will play. UT can see that going on the road early in the season can cause you to spiral downhill....that's all there is to this schedule change.

VolGrad writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

You have a really exalted opinion of yourself. "Most of America...." You sound like a politician.

GBO!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Healthy is good! We need all hands on deck. We will beat the Bearcats no doubt in my mind at all. After all they are Cincy and we are Tennessee. A good team finds a way to win and a lesser team finds a way to loose. We have a ways to go but we are a good team. We'll step it up a notch come Saturday...just you wait and see.

Go Vols!

UT 35
UC 24

OrangePsyched writes:

Montana would give Cincy a run for their money and would kill AP just like the Bearcats. I'm not saying that this game is a lock but if we play well we should win by 2 touchdowns. CDD pretty much put the brakes on when it was apparent we had the game in hand. We win 38-24.

DannyVol writes:

in response to jimr07:

Wow, someone on this board actually makes sense.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to CroatianVol:

Their defense returns 10 of 11 starters. Their weakness is their secondary which is great news for our passing game. But their front 7 is REALLY good. Being that Montana gave us trouble in the run game this could be a factor. Their front 7 is better than Montana's.

snakeplissken writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

What are you basing your comment on that Cincy's front seven is REALLY good? Because they throttled AP?
According to many people on here Montana's run defense was the best we'll ever see, and now you tell me that Cincy's is even better?

treytn writes:

in response to snakeplissken:

What you're seeing is comments by the Kool-Aid drinkers building our next opponent up each week in case we don't beat them by the spread or lose to them. I suspect the week before we play Buffalo you're going to hear how powerful they are, too.