Lane Kiffin was father figure for Kenbrell Thompkins

CINCINNATI — If Lane Kiffin still were the head coach at Tennessee, Kenbrell Thompkins would be starting his senior year with the Vols, perhaps established as one of the top receivers in the SEC.

But when Kiffin left Tennessee to become the coach at Southern California, Thompkins' world changed.

Instead of fulfilling his letter-of-intent with the Vols, Thompkins decided to leave, too, ending up at the University of Cincinnati.

Continue reading at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

GreerVol22 writes:

excuse me while I clean up the drink I just spewed on the screen.

Bigger_Al writes:

I had no idea who this guy is. Still don't really care.

LJS1984 writes:

Glad that they are both other places. Our situation at WR looks to be better than it's been in years, maybe even a decade or more?

PHAT_VOL writes:

WHAT is this article about and who cares.

RoadTrip writes:

This is what you get when you don't play KNS' 24/7 game.

ThaiVolFan writes:

If Lane Kiffin were still here we would not just have Kenbrell Tompkins, we would have the NCAA still breathing down our necks for something stupid that Kiffin just did or said, we would be bowl ineligible and be under a scholarship reduction. No, I'm glad that Kenbrell is not a wide receiver at the University of Tennessee and is somewhere else, just like Lane.

CoverOrange writes:

If Lane was so great a force in his life why didn't he follow him to USC?

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor really like to see him wearing his helmet sideways for those remarks. Witch Doctor say slobber-knocker table for one.
Bones never lie.

wazzya69vol writes:

I agree with some of the other posters. I'm not that familiar with him, and I like the receivers we have lining up; I've been waiting for them to hit the slant for about five years. I loved it Sat, now we need to open up the running game (which these passes should do). The defense will definitely need to slow down Cincy's offense. Kiffin a father figure, maybe for NuKeese Richardson!! Now Layla is something else! GBO!!

UTKin1992 writes:

If he needed Kiffin in order to come to the University of Tennessee OVER Cinncinati, he's a bigger fool than he comes off. What a clown.

cloudodust writes:

Can't see how this impacts anyone but Thompkins.

RaineyVol writes:

Are we ever going to stop talking aboout Lane Kiffin on the site?? he was here for like 30 seconds.

Huttdawg100 writes:

"I think I might hear some boos"- Thompkins. Ummmm.... We don't know who you are, nor do we care.

Rogers and Hunter are about to show this bum what NFL talent is.

Tacomeat writes:

In other news.

The sports editor at the KNS just pleasured himself again by printing an article on Kiffin that no readers of the KNS wanted to read

HallowedHill writes:

No hard feelings toward the young man, but we haven't missed him in the slightest. He might not have gotten much play time here, either way.

GO VOLS!

HallowedHill writes:

in response to VOL_GOD:

And Da'Rick Rogers would be a dawg.

Things turned out exceptionally well for us in hindsight.

allvol32 writes:

Sounds like a good kid. Seems like a lot of people are pretty quick to belittle the young man. If you read the article he grew up without a father figure in his life.

"I'm happy where I'm at," Thompkins said. "There's a brotherhood we've got over here. I have nothing against Tennessee. I have no animosity against that program or nothing like that. I'm just excited and ready to play."

BustaRhymes writes:

Please oh please KNS - more stories about Lane. What did Lane eat for dinner tonight? Is Lane a boxer or briefs kind of guy? What did Lane think of the recent Smurfs movie? We here at the Big Orange Nation are just in love with the guy - so please - more, more, more! I can't wait to see what tomorrow's KNS coverage brings! PS - if you're going to cover the guy - throw in a picture of Layla - that's the only Kiffin this Vol fan misses!

bobbarbilly writes:

This story is in the ," Duh...I could of had a V-8" category.

Bufforange00 writes:

You will see what you missed saturday, son.

vollerdash writes:

in response to stkdog:

Yes sir ree bob !!! I miss Layla,she looked good in orange......

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Bufforange00:

You will see what you missed saturday, son.

glad someone has a positive outlook for Saturday's game. Heck if we cant beat this Big East power then who's left to beat? Vandy seems more confident they will beat the other Big East power UConn this Saturday than the talk on this site about upsetting (LOL) Cincy. This week you will see much more from the VOLS in a 42-17 whipping.

govols1234567 writes:

I don't see why this kid should be getting boo'd at all. and if he does I will be embarrassed as a Tennessee fan that we are to ignorant to see his situation. Nobody respects Kiffin and Kiffin seems to respect no one. If anything we should be on his side in regard to the circumstances. He deserved to go to a program with stability. He didn't abandon Tennessee. The football program's lack of stability abandoned him thanks to kiffin

VOLliven2it writes:

Where do we vote to remove this article from a Volunteer website? It is ridiculous. I refuse to read it. Hope all you Twinky lovers out there enjoy.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

Don't flater yourself dude, nobody knows who you
are and we could care less. Those will not be boo's you here they will be who's.

The_Ghost_of_Duke_DeLuca writes:

Lane Kiffin doesn't strike me as a role model for anyone. He's disloyal, dishonest, unethical. Apparently he's not a good driver, either.

Nothing like my father - a real father figure to admire and use as a model.

vollerdash writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

Agree 1000% We should boycott this www. until they quit posting this garb....... "Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" LETS DO IT !!!

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Be strong yall they are absolutely trying to make yall join GVX. This article almost made me but my wife threw cold water on my face and I came to my senses.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

If Kiffin we still here UT might be favored to win the East...Oregeron would have a boat load of 5 stars committed.

As it is, UT could easily lose to a 6 point mid-major dog Cincy in Neyland...Then watch the Dooley elecric slide to 4-8 begin.

pcorange writes:

Who really gives a flip about Lane Kiffin or Kenbrell Thompkins?

Bigger_Al writes:

Some good points. We would have whoever this guy is and Ambles (who got kicked off USC), and we wouldn't have Bones and Da'Rick. Good trade.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Have some Cincy Chili about 7 pm Saturday..Not too much all spice or it might be too bitter to swallow...Just not sure with Dooley if it can be considered an upset.

SECProudUT writes:

in response to ShaversChoice:

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Don't worry Naval.

The only differences between Dooley and Kiffin are that Kiffin could recruit 5 star players, attract a staff, and coach football.

VolGrad writes:

Somebody keeps forgetting to take out the trash. It is really starting to stink in here.

mahabrando writes:

It's articles like this that at times have me questioning coming to this site.

Kiffin is the past.

Dooley and his high class staff is the future. Simple as that.

I don't care about Kiffin until the day we meet them and beat them.

I don't care about someone who thought of him as a father figure. If you think of Kiffin as a father figure... you must have had a sorry family... and as a Tennessee bleeding orange fan, I don't want you in "the family" heh.

-brando

JungleVOL writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Did you see what Kiffin did with his super talented roster against lowly Minnesota? I don't care what kind of 5 star talent this guy has, he is a terrible coach.

DannyVol writes:

in response to Tacomeat:

In other news.

Exactly.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

The ole boy does get fired up like a mama grizzly with her cubs when you question young Derek...You really shouldn't poke at him like that.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Hey Brett,
I saw your future ex-wife recently. She was over on Hummingbird, the little white house where 'Uncle Dicky' lives.
All he had to do was wave a little bag of candy under her nose.
I never thought she was like that...did you?

TNVol72 writes:

Why in the wide, wide world of sports would KNS print an article about "Lame" the "richard-noggin" again? That's one part of "UT Anal History 101" that no Vols fans give a rat's butthole about!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to vollerdash:

Yes sir ree bob !!! I miss Layla,she looked good in orange......

Nothing would look good on Lala.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

How the heck can you make a statement like that without reading the article? You read it .Stop pretending you didn't.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Nothing would look good on Lala.

She's a Gator! We have lots of em that look just as good as her.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

Not this Saturday....did you see the score on the defeat of rising power Elon. Vandy 21-7

FatherVol writes:

The boy a father-figure? Lord save us from that itellectual faux paux! And, thank God the boy got distracted by another toy so he stopped playing with matches in Knoxville.

Flyfisherman writes:

Two passes for 20 yards against Austin Peay is definitely a break out start....at Cincinnati and not USC...seems like this kid read the writing on the wall at UT.

kevin151 writes:

Move on from Lane
Kiffin already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

commonman writes:

It's great that Dooley wants class players, now what about class fans?

lyafarre writes:

Agree with the posts about this being a non-story. If he'd been here a year, maybe the article works. Guess it is from a Cincy paper, but still....if there's an article written about every person who almost chose TN and is now on the other side of the field, then we're gonna have a lot of filler to sift through as readers.