UT's swagger could be tested by new rule

Jim Chaney: What the Vols need to improve before Cincinnati

None

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter cruises to the end zone on an 81-yard pass from quarterback Tyler Bray during the Vols' 42-16 home win over Montana on Saturday.

The pass hit Justin Hunter perfectly in stride, and the track meet was underway.

It was obvious nobody was catching the speedy Tennessee wide receiver as soon as he turned up the field, especially to the guy who threw him the ball.

Well behind the play, quarterback Tyler Bray started waving his hand to convey the goodbye message Hunter was delivering to the Montana secondary in last week's 42-16 victory for the Vols. And the 81-yard touchdown was officially brought to a conclusion when the part-time track star leaned into the end zone like he was winning a race.

"Yeah, I was thinking it was like a finish line," Hunter joked after the game. "I felt like I had to finish because I ran so far."

Judged against the standard the Vols (1-0) set a year ago with their dance moves, salutes and pretend title belts, Hunter pretending to break some tape at the end zone is barely a blip on the radar.

And compared to the throat-slashing gesture Bray made to the North Carolina bench in the Music City Bowl to end last season, the sophomore was much more restrained while adding yet another touchdown pass to a list that could expand more against Cincinnati (1-0) at Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.).

But rule changes put in place for this season by the NCAA to curb what is perceived to be excessive celebrations could possibly have been given their first test by the Vols in the blowout over the Grizzlies. Officials already had penalties they could assess for too much exuberance after a touchdown, but the new rule now allows for touchdowns to be taken away if a player starts enjoying a score before it's technically been earned with 15 yards being marked off from the spot of the foul.

Perhaps by design, Hunter's move would have been simultaneous with the touchdown, and Bray's wave well behind the action might not have been noticed at all if not for television cameras. And while Derek Dooley isn't trying to keep his players from being themselves and enjoying the product of their labor, the Vols coach also would prefer they do it in a way that would never tempt a ref to drop a flag on the ground.

"I didn't see (Bray), but at least he didn't look at their sideline and do a nasty gesture, so we've made progress," Dooley said. "But we're not where we need to be. I just hope that we don't take away spontaneous exuberance from the game, because we all have it. As long as a player reacts and does something in a spontaneous way, then they gather themselves like, 'OK, that's enough,' it doesn't ruin the game.

"You know, I don't like all this stuff where we're trying to take away a little bit of the fun and the emotion out of it. But I also understand the importance of not allowing bad sportsmanship in our game. I don't like that either. I just hope we manage it fairly and consistently as officials to where it really doesn't have a negative impact on the game."

Defense Never Rests: The improved level of competition certainly has the attention of the UT coaching staff.

But it's not just the spread offense the Bearcats run so well that has Justin Wilcox looking for more from the Vols this week. The defensive coordinator picked out problems at every level of his unit that need to be patched up by Saturday against a team that can score in a hurry.

"On the (defensive) line, our contain in our pass rush is going to be critical," Wilcox said Wednesday. "At linebacker, we've got to tackle better. That's something that's going to be continually emphasized.

"In the secondary, we've got to be more physical on the edge in the bubble game and in the run game. And we've got busted coverages, obviously, which cost you. So we've got to be 100 percent on our coverage assignments because these guys can hurt you really quick."

Bumps And Bruises: The Vols appeared to be close to full strength as they wrapped up the practice week with a morning workout on Thursday.

Maurice Couch seems to be the only player whose status is uncertain at this point, as the defensive tackle tries to recover from a knee strain suffered last weekend in time to play against the Bearcats.

Devrin Young (collarbone) and Herman Lathers (ankle) are both still out, though Young will be re-evaluated next week and has been more active in practice despite continuing to wear a red, non-contact jersey.

Senior defensive lineman Steven Fowlkes is practicing with the team, but he appears unlikely to play again on Saturday with a lingering academic eligibility issue.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

The_Real_Orange writes:

I just hope the Vols don't have much to celebrate in the Swamp next week. Just saying....

CoverOrange writes:

There was so much preseason verbiage on Maggitt and Johnson that I expected to read glowing reviews of their debuts. Haven't seen anything.

Vol43 writes:

Just saying what?

ncvol17 writes:

I'm old school .. in fact I'm old.. but act like you've been there b4. The BYE BYE was bush league IMO

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to ncvol17:

Yep, Bray is just a little too cool for school sometimes and it's gonna cost us if he's not careful. I'm quite confidant our crack SEC officials will let several obvious penalty situations go again this week so they can make a ticky-tack call down the road in a tight conference game and influence the outcome. Still, Tyler needs to grow up and Derek needs to keep the emphasis on playing with class at all times. If we act right, it won't be an issue. I'm betting we'll have at least one score called back before the season is half over. I hope I'm wrong. Go Vols!!!

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to ncvol17:

The actual quote is from Lombardi..."The next time you make a touchdown, act like you've been there before"

You'd think Dooley would be the first one to impose this rule on his players...Since he's never won anything.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

ES&D CSS

allvols4life writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Less than an hour after the story is posted and here you are. Nothing better to do on a Thursday night I suppose. If you hate all things Dooley and UT football, why spend so much of your time reading and commenting on the stories that have to do with them? I am sure Derek Dooley is losing sleep at night knowing you don't like him as coach and think he will never get it done. What a joke!

VolinVirginia writes:

Seems to me that a 1-0 record and a win against Montana doesn't give us swagger.

Of course, swagger can be a bad thing. The Gators had a great deal of swagger in 1995 and went to the Fiesta Bowl to play Nebraska on January 2, 1996. They received one of the worst beatings I have seen. Even the 3rd-string Husker Quarterback drove the ball on the Gators - all the way to the goal line to end the game.

All of their swagger vanished.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

That's sad...because ther can only be one greatest coach in college (Bryant) and professional (Lombardi) football.

AncientVolFan writes:

Five decades ago when I spent some time in the trenches we use to say some nasty things to the other lineman that would make waving looking rather soft. Oh, well, I suppose that's changed too. I had no idea I was so evil and my parentage in such doubt as one defensive tackle suggested to me. Actually thought it was part of the game at the time.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to slaw_way:

I didn't see the game. I don't know what they did or didn't do. The comment was more a cut on the sports writers and posters that were hyping them so much. Eggs, chicken, counting. That kind of stuff.

chattavfl86 writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Seriously? Lol, you've got to be kidding me.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Vols, and What the........

It's very simple actually.........this kid Packer
is just another troll and nothing else can excuse
his stupidity

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

UT opened at -6.5 against small college Cincy...Now they're at-4.5..That should tell you who people think is a nitwit...The savior's a 4.5 favorite against a small college and everyone here thinks he's Bud Wilkinson.

finn writes:

Between the NCAA and NFL, football is slowly being gutted. I understand the basis of good sportsmanship but these guys aren't playing chess. It is a physical and emotional sport and they have every right to celebrate (within reason.) I think the Ocho Cinco's of the world are clowns but letting ref's yank a TD cause their worried someone's feelings might have been hurt is ridiculous. Now I know why we don't have a college play-off. Before long, after every game, the ref will declare both teams winner's and hand out little crappy plastic trophies to all the players.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to VolinVirginia:

All of their swagger vanished.

I remember watching that BEATING that the reptilians took! Jim Nance was doing the play-by-play and on one TD run he yelled, "How many tackles can one man BREAK?!" I was glad to see coach Superior eat some humble pie!

givehim6 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Hope not to see any gator chomps, just saying...

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

God...I hate the NCAA. They expect these kids to train their entire lives, step out on the biggest stage they have EVER been on, succeed, and then not be excited about any of it.

Throat slashing, offensive gestures, celebrations that prevent the game from moving forward...all that stuff has no place in the game, but the NCAA isn't content to be "reasonable". They have to try to turn these kids into benedictine monks and lessen the fan experience in the process.

Again...I hate the NCAA. They are the Big Brother of the college sports world. Ridiculous.

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to finn:

Like a cool breeze of sanity on a hot Saturday in Knoxville.

It's obvious that these rules aren't for the players. They are for everyone who was terrified of Janet Jackson's nipple.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

I should think people here would like a few Benedictine and Franciscan monks...After all, they'd fit Dooley's character criteria and just might be more aggressive than the players he's recruited thus far.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Gay.(tor)

Tru138 writes:

in response to slaw_way:

That ol' boy has slammed so much juice his brain cell has acne.

EarlThePearl writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Ignorant Comments that make no sense.

You said Cincy is a small College.

UC was founded in 1819, and has an annual enrollment of over 40,000 students, making it one of the largest universities in the U.S. In the 2010 survey by Times Higher Education.

UT is a 4.5 Favorite. What does that mean? Cincinnati should be favored because they return many players that played in a BCS game 2 years ago and UT was left with nothing thanks to Fulmer's bad recruiting and Kiff's players leaving.

You said Dooley has never won anything. Bud Wilkinson won 7 games his first year as Coach and Dooley won 6 his first year at a Major University, so he is one game behind Bud at this point in his career. Come on CantStandSaban, you need some new material.

Theo writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Zzzzzzzz......oh, I'm sorry were you talking?

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to EarlThePearl:

Ignorant Comments that make no sense.

You said Cincy is a small College.

Yes...and Wilkinson only played 10 games that first year, won his conference championship,finished 16th in the nation, and then went to 3 straight Sugar Bowls..If that were Dooley's record in his 1st year and this year I wouldn't say a word.

As it is, now I'm hearing Cincy is a suitable opponent for UT...My Oh My how far we've fallen.. First chickening out of UNC with Dooleys blessing and trying to chicken out on Oregon...The next thing you know, fans here will be saying Buffalo is really Red Blaik's 1940's Army, because they're both from New York.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

You are delusional CSS. No one has said he is Bud Wilkinson. However, many of us have said that Dooley is an intelligent, sharp and disciplined coach and we expect that in the long run his coaching style will show results. Go Vols!

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Now this is what I'm talking about another Dooley supporter who thinks Bud Wilkinson coached Brian Bosworth..I rest my case.

By the way Wilkinson went 7-2-1 that 1st year...Then went 31-2 the next three years and won a national championship. If that's the standard you want to hold Dooley to...I'm all with you.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

What's your deal man? I cannot understand why anyone would absolutely hate Dooley as much as you do. There is just something not right with your head.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

I hope the Vols have a lot to celebrate in the Swamp. It' way past due. But with the Rules Comm. trying to take all the fun out of the sport for the players who knows , very soon you will not be able to spike the ball at all. If you don't hand it to the ref then the TD is called back and you are pent. 15 yds. What is happening to our game?

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

I don't hate Dooley...I just know he's in way over his head and not an upper eschelon SEC coach...No amount of wishing by jilted Kiffin haters will make him anything different..He'd be fine at Tusculum or Carson Newman.

VolinVirginia writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Um, you DO realize that the point spread is a function of current betting and has nothing to do with the game, don't you?

Stepchild_nFL writes:

We have no swagger. We are Tennessee. Heck we’re no good. But we're a team having fun. Love the loco. Uniquely Tennessee. Shows confidence, comrodiery, silliness and no disrespect. Let’s have fun playing ball. For fun let’s put Devron Young in for a return this week. Can't act like we've been there because we haven't. Win or lose. Love the loco! No bye bye, just loco.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

Bryant was a great coach but did you know that he could never beat Gen. Ney. He didn't do very good against D Royal of TX either.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

please explain how you know he is "over his head." Who is an upper eschelon SEC coach? I can name only one at this moment and that is Saban. The same Saban who seems to think very highly of Dooley based on his public comments.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Bo Shin (spelling) had a brother at the U of Il. that wasn't bad in those days.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Of course Bryant was 0-7 against Neyland at Kentucky; a school that hardly emphasized football...When he won the SEC in 1950 he was given a Zippo cigarette lighter for his efforts..Adolph Rupp was given a new Cadillac...Bryant knew it was time to leave.

TommyJack writes:

Thread full of amateurs.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

Bud Wilkinson ran around on his wife, no problem in those days but ask Mike Price about that kinda behavior today.

Given Dooley's character, background and consistency I believe every true Vol fan hopes and expects him to be sucessful for years in Knoxville.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to Packer_Park_Orange:

You are right. He is unlike any coach we have seen in the SEC. He is extremely intelligent, philosophical and caring for players. Gives his all for Jackson and brings back Little. For me that was impressive. Bring in intelligence with athletic ability at Tennessee level with facility and space, could be change. Could be an upper, upper, echelon SEC coach. I like him so far.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

Wilkinson sure did run around and got himself a real babe, 33 years his junior...Kinda like Kiffin in that regard (the babe) and Dickey (the running around); when his wife told him he was taking the Florida job and getting out of Knoxville. Or else he was getting the Lorena Bobbitt Treatment.

LadyVOLinGa writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Amen!! Between the naysayers, the whiners, the handslappers, etc... The fun and joy is being sucked out of college sports - in fact ALL sports. What has happened??? All athletes and teams are not created equal. That's what makes it exciting. Between the now exorbitant salaries paid to coaches and AD's, fight for television rights and money, we now want to penalize an athlete because he is excited that he scored? The underdog team can't celebrate a play against a powerhouse? Football - at least the game I grew up with - was emotional, passionate. It brought community together. It was a Friday night celebration and a Saturday party. I'm a girl and there's nothing I like better than seeing a good hit by the defense or a touchdown play with their respective players saying " Yeah, look at me - I did it"!! It will be a sad day when officials turn the game into a session of slap and tickle just so someone's feelings won't get hurt....

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to VOL_GOD:

Benny Hinn couldn't get Dooley 10 wins this season

del writes:

I will say that dooley will everybit as good as his daddy was when he was at Georgia. And I believe Tenn will beat Florida by a touchdown, so if you ant for the voles get off their site.

mitchwkr writes:

I see Bray hasn't learned anything from last year. What we have is an arrogant, selfish, "look at me" QB, who has unlimited talent. Man that was Montana. I wouldn't be so hard on the kid if it was AL or FLA, and he was carrying us on his shoulders, but this was Montana. There is no place for this, and I'm ashamed Dooley doesn't seem to be able to stop it. We will never be a "TEAM" until our "QB LEADER" leads by example.

DarkChocolate writes:

in response to VolinVirginia:

All of their swagger vanished.

You must not have watched the following year when Florida put one of the worst beatings I have ever seen on FSU for the national title.

In fact, I think Florida has won 3 national titles since that bad loss to Nebraska. I think UF's swag is fine.

jobrando#216494 writes:

ncaa continues the march to making football very boring. Emotion is a big part of the game to this fan.

FatherVol writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

Apparently, you have never lived with Benedictine monks.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

I'm sure you still had no life even back in 1995

NOthgif writes:

This is getting ridiculous. Just let the kids play and have fun, geez man! Personally I don't care if the kid does the worm after he goes for a touchdown. Just makes the game more exciting to me. However, I digress and will continue to Fight ON!