5 Big Things for Vols to beat Cincinnati

Justin Wilcox: Looking back on Montana, forward to Cincinnati

None

Jim Chaney: What the Vols need to improve before Cincinnati

None

1. Pound It: A modest 128 yards against Montana didn't restore confidence in UT's running game. The Vols made the commitment with 46 attempts but a 2.8-yard average won't cut it. Time to pound the rock again.

2. Or Don't: What the heck, maybe it's time to just let Tyler Bray chuck it down the field to Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers. That's obviously what the Vols do best. If that's the plan, it would be a good idea to get others receivers involved. Zach Rogers was the only other wideout with a catch in the opener and the tight ends were shut out.

3. Youth Hostile: Tennessee was the only FBS school to start three true freshmen on defense last week. Only Texas and Auburn played more than UT's 12 true freshmen. Obviously the Vols are asking some youngsters to hit the ground running and the ante goes up considerably against Cincinnati's high-octane offense.

4. BCS Skid Mark: The Vols can end an embarrassing streak with a win over the Bearcats of the Big East Conference. Tennessee has lost its past five games against nonconference BCS foes: North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia Tech and UCLA twice. The last time UT beat a BCS foe outside the SEC was Wisconsin on Jan. 1, 2008.

5. The Cincinnati Kid: Senior defensive end Ben Martin overcame two Achilles tendon injuries to get back in the starting lineup for the first time since 2009. It was a modest return, 1.5 tackles and a pass breakup. It would be a good story if the pride of La Salle High School is more disruptive against his hometown Bearcats, whose offense is capable of big plays and big numbers.

— Mike Strange

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dvhill100 writes:

Should be a great game. Really looking forward to it.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Go Vols...yea it's on TV!!! I'd rather be there but just can't. Oh and Go Mocs beat Jack.St.!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say hit them like they Al Qaeda!
Bones never lie.

HtownVol writes:

Good stat, only FBS team o start 3 True Fr.
Man, shouldnt those D-Linemen bewanting to sign with UT in Feb? I know we are on track to have a outstanding LB and DB group for a few years but it is really time to start signing the big time D-Linemen. If we can sign 4-5 good ones in this class it will really solidify the Defense for the future. I do think J Smith is turning into a great one.

As for tomorrow, I really hope to see some holes for 28 and 4 but if after 2 drives if the run is getting nothing I say spread the field and get Hunter and DaRick in the matchups that we can exploit. I really think that with the right play calling our WRs (and Bray) will be unstopable. Honestly both WRs are capable of doing anything asked of them. I was suprised that we didnt see DaRick run any end-arounds but we now have Lane to take care of those type plays.

Last week I saw too much trying to run between the trenches when more than a couple times the outside was wide open. If the backs dont have a hole I would like to see them bounce it outside, Lane would likely be better at that with his speed.

Vols need to get off to a great start.

UT - 34
Cincy-21

GO VOLS

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say hit them like they Al Qaeda!
Bones never lie.

This comment has been deemed inapropriate by Just For Men facial hair dying products, proud sponsors of Bin Laden & Al Queda networks, LOLZ.

Vols 45
Cincy 24

-T-

516milesfromUT writes:

5 big things, are called touchdowns
the total number of touchdowns so far for true fresman Marlin Lane after the Cincy game.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Good stat, only FBS team o start 3 True Fr.

Vols need to get off to a great start.

UT - 34
Cincy-21

GO VOLS

As for the recruitment of d-linemen, I'm wondering if a 3-4 defense is in the works? Just a thought. G.B.O.!!

FREOVOL writes:

GO VOLS! Off-topic, but I love the fact TN is on national TV this weekend, but at his "dream job" Kiffin's beloved is playing Utah, but still not on any major network.

Huttdawg100 writes:

I think the O Line will have to be able to pick up the blitz. From everything I've read, Cincy's primary weakness is their ability to defend the pass, which leads me to believe that they'll blitz Bray to try and disrupt his timing and get him on the ground. We've got to pick up the blitz and let Rogers and Hunter make them pay. I think we get a shoot out even though Wilcox's defenses have generally done well against the blitz.

jeremy writes:

just rewatched the montana game. The running game wasn't as bad as I thought. On many occasions the running backs just didn't hit the holes, looked like they were too far back, still no excuse for a safety and getting stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1. Think we will b o.k. tommorrow.

OrangeBeer writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

How does our D do well against a blitz?

BleednUrnge81 writes:

i dont think we will win in a blowout, but i do think we will win. i've been sitting here watching fiu vs louisville and the play by play guys we talking about the game tomorrow. one of them had good things to say about our passing game, but of course it was espn, who takes shots at the vols all the time. they said cincy can beat us. not in neyland. GO VOLS!!!!!!! p.s. probably not in cincy either :)

dwa7#337691 writes:

ut 33
cincy 29
it will be CLOSE

tovolny writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

"Wilcox's defenses have generally done well against the blitz." ?????????

Just curious...did you do something wrong here?...Or, perhaps you meant to say Chaney's offense???????

Smiley Face.

murrayvol writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

ut 33
cincy 29
it will be CLOSE

I hope not.

BlueHound writes:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We need to temper expectations. A win is what the Vols need. In whatever fashion possible. This is gonna be a pretty good test. South FL, a Big East team with similar talent, beat an over-rated ND last week. The same could happen in Neyland this weekend. Many "pundits" are predicting a Cincy win. As the mummy in Oakland used to say when he could actually verbalize words, "Just win, baby."

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

Vols: 31
Meerkats: 28

Cin-cin scores a late TD to make it close.

Disclaimer: The 'Meerkat' remark is only a gentle 'ribbing'. Bearcat fans have been quite classy. In fact, you should teach classes in acting like an adult to gator, bamer, and a certain moron that can't spell that claims to be a Vandy fan.

MothershipChip writes:

Game starts at 3:30 and I have to be to work at 4:00 hopefully no one wants to eat cause I am going to have a hard time serving them. Thank god we have TVs in the bar.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

OrangeBeer writes:

in response to MothershipChip:

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

Jimmy's is a pretty good bar to watch a game at...

RaineyVol writes:

I dont care if we WIN by 1, We need to get back to just Winning!!!!

DannyVol writes:

We need to crush this team and shut some people the ___ up!!! That is all.

wsmows writes:

Thanks Mike Strange, please don't join The Big Orange Army (GV247).

del writes:

I believe that we will win but we need to work on our run game because we get that going we open the pass beg time.

I predict

Tenn. 32
Cen.14. Maybe 21.

iowavol writes:

My top five:

1. Be patient on offense - Tyler Bray - great game last week except the two forced throws into coverage. Relax, let the game come to you and take what they give you. We have athletes that can make things happen.
2. Be patient on offense - Tauren Poole - you've got the tools my man. Read where the defense is going, use your cut back ability. Last week, they stacked a bunch of big bodies in the middle, could have cut a few outside and gotten some tough yards.
3. Pressure the quarterback. Last week, they hit the QB a bunch, but no sacks. Over under this week on sacks two.
4. LB's play your position. Like our new guys, need to quit running themselves out of the play.
5. Points. This is always key - score more points than the other team and we will be fine.

del writes:

And by the way I think that Dooley will be every bit as good or better than his dad was at Georgia.so with that side if we give him a change he will make us proud,so give him a break i believe him to be doing a good job with those kids.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to OrangeBeer:

How does our D do well against a blitz?

I meant against the spread. His Boise state defenses pretty much man-handled Chip Kelly's Oregon teams.

I think I had one too many last night.

GONAVY writes:

Am I the only one who thought the title to point 4 was gross/funny? Oh well...
UT 31
Concinnati 21

volsfan74 writes:

I know it is a little un-orthodox but we need to use the passing game to open up the running game. PASS,PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS and then run the ball maybe even run it in passing schemes (Draw plays etc).

Vol43 writes:

in response to volsfan74:

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to volsfan74:

This +1. Vols 38-Cinnci-35.

VolZX10R writes:

I just watched College Game Day for the first time this year. Looks like they changed the opening song, removing "Rocky Top TN!" Thanks ESPN.

transplantiam writes:

CDD used those 20-25 plays of running up the middle for practice, trying to get our still-young o-line to know how to open holes and keep them open long enough for the backs to find some daylight. People thinking we can't run the ball, is exactly what CDD wants you to think, along with Fl. and Cincy. We will run the ball when we need to. We didn't have to. All Bray had to do was call #11 or #21's # and there were the yards! This week the key, as it always is with defending the spread, is holding their gaps and keep containment on the qb. We do that and we score as many as CDD wants, and Cincy won't score too many. 37-24 Vols!!!

hikerdude writes:

in response to TweetDriver:

Man, I hope you are right.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say
Tennessee 44
Cincy 28

Bones never lie.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to FREOVOL:

Not to start any argument or anything, but isn't it time to forget Kiffien and the way we got stiffed by him. Coach Dooley is our Coach now. Let's look to the future and forget the past. Maybe that is why we aren't get the 4-5 stars recruits, half of them probably think Kiffen is still the coach as much as he gets blogged about in here. Let's all make an agreement, NO MORE KIFFEN ON THE VOLS SITE!!!!!!!! OK?

crimsonviper writes:

Bray and Co. should light them up.
Cincy just ain't "into" defense....GBO!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

UT-38
Cincy-35

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

This +1. Vols 38-Cinnci-35.

HA! I posted my prediction before I came back and saw yours! Great minds think alike!

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say
Tennessee 44
Cincy 28

Bones never lie.

I'll settle for that Doc.....but I'd prefer Cincy in the 14-19 range....just for style points.

SummittsCourt writes:

Vols 45
bearcats 20

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Witch Doctor believe(hopes) for a big lead early...maybe sloppy ending. Witch Doctor say kinda like Witch Doctor wife "Date" night last night....plenty of promises with low return. lol
Bones never lie.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to RaineyVol:

I dont care if we WIN by 1, We need to get back to just Winning!!!!

I agree 100%!! Stay focused, get this win however we can,...and get ready for Florida!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Vols 45
bearcats 20

missed it by 3 points! Way to go Vols!

SummittsCourt writes: